36. Unstarry Night
1.3k 5 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where are you going Misaki? It's getting late to go out."

asked Kazuto, upon seeing Misaki quietly walking towards the exit door.

Misaki flinched at Kazuto's voice from behind. She thought she had been sneaking around without getting caught.

"Erm.... Taking out the trash?"

Misaki answered doubtfully.

"How can anyone throw trash with nothing but tissues, bread and salt water. Please be better at lying next time."

Said Kazuto who saw clearly Misaki's lies.

Misaki's shoulders drooped from failing to lie to him, however she was panicking earlier and she wasn't very good at lying either. So it was natural for Kazuto to know about her lies.

"So where are you going at this time?"

Kazuto asked again while crossing his arms. Going out late at night is dangerous, although security in their area is relatively good, that doesn't mean there won't be threats or crime. So, usually Misaki is not allowed out by Kazuto. Yes, he is too overprotective of his sister.

But Misaki didn't mind that, after all she rarely went out at night unless there was an urgent need. But this time, she wanted to go out to do something.

"I want to meet the cat...."

Misaki answered honestly.

She have to treat the wound again, at least she have to do it twice a day. For that she must to go out tonight.

"Normally I wouldn't let you out, but since you seem so eager to go, I'll let you go."

Hearing Kazuto let her out made Misaki's eyes sparkle.

"But."

However, his words weren't finished yet which made Misaki hold her breath.

"I have to come with you."

Misaki breathed a sigh of relief. She thought there would be a strange request or something, since Kazuto used to do it. Unfortunately, her relief was only momentary.

"And you have to follow these condition too."

Kazuto added with a smirk.

Ahh, that grin. He must be wanting or planning something from me. Misaki thought with sweat dripping down her forehead.

"W-What are the conditions?"

Misaki asked stuttering.

With a smirk, Kazuto said

"The condition is...."

Kazuto paused on his words, which made Misaki wait nervously.

"...You should change your hairstyle for the next week."

Kazuto said with a smirk.

"Eh???"

Misaki thought she heard wrong as she tilted her head in confusion.

"I want you to change your hairstyle."

Kazuto repeated.

"Why?"

The tension seemed pointless now. She was worried about something that only existed in her imagination.

"It's nothing. It's just that it's quite a waste to let your long and beautiful hair fall down like that."

"Hahh, what was I thinking."

"Wait, did you just say that I look ugly with my hair down?"

Misaki asked in a sullen tone.

No, since when am I sensitive to my appearance? Wouldn't it be better if I looked uglier?
Misaki asked in her heart.

Could it be that I've really started to be a girl? Since when did this change occur?

Her mind became complicated. She hadn't noticed herself starting to change to this extent, however she felt it happened as if it was natural, she had even stopped complaining about wearing the dress now when she think back.

Since when did I start changing?
The question rang in her head.

But that only happened for a moment because Kazuto's words cut off her thoughts.

"What do you mean. Whatever you look like, it will still be beautiful in my eyes."

Misaki continued to stare at Kazuto with a sullen look. But her pure eyes and smile made her give up on doing it.

He seemed to be speaking the truth. Misaki thought with a deep sigh.

"Okay, whatever."

"But what kind of style does Onii-chan want? Braids? Ponytails?"

she asked while touching her hair.

"Hmm...."

Kazuto thinking for a long time as like it was an important matter.

Let's just say it quickly so I can go and take care of that cat!!!
Misaki complained. But she just said it to herself and didn't really say it.

"How about twintails?"

Kazuto replied after hundreds of years of thinking.

"I thought I'd become a fossil just for waiting your answer."

Misaki finally complained seeing how long Kazuto thinking. But Kazuto could only shrug and say "It's inevitable for my cute little sister".

"Wait here a moment then."

She said as she handed over the plastic bag containing the items Kazuto mentioned earlier, then walked up the stairs and into her room.

Kazuto waited patiently, until he finally heard Misaki's approaching footsteps, then looked at her.

"H-How was that?"

Misaki asked stuttering. It was the first time she had tied her hair like this so she think it eill look messy.

"...."

She waited for his answer, however, Kazuto just stared at her in silence and didn't answer.

"Pfft..."

And then he just laughed which made Misaki feel embarrassed for some reason.

"W-Why are you laughing! Is Onii-chan deliberately making fun of me by making me do this!?"

Her face was red from feeling that she was just being humiliated by Kazuto here.

“Hahaha sorry, it's nothing. It's just that it looks right on you. I even feel like I'll marrying you right now, Ahaha….”

Kazuto replied while wiping his tears from laughing too much.

"Tell that to your future wife, you idiot! Then why are you laughing!?"

Misaki tried to hit Kazuto's head but her hand didn't reach so she could only hit his chest repeatedly. But to Kazuto, Misaki's punch was light so it didn't have much effect.

"I'm laughing because I just wanted to tease you. That hairstyle suits you, so stop hitting me."

Kazuto said as he stopped laughing and pinched Misaki's nose, which made it difficult for her to breathe.

"Now that you're making your sister can't breath, do you want me to die!!?"

"You won't speak loudly if you die from suffocation, you know?"

Kazuto said as he continued to pinch her nose.

"Alright alright, I'll stop hitting you! So let me go!"

Misaki exclaimed as she gave up.

"That's just a good tsundere sister."

Kazuto finally took it off so Misaki could breathe a sigh of relief. She rubbed her nose which was red from being pinched, then looked at Kazuto with an annoyed face.

"What?"

Kazuto asked with an innocent face.

"Hmph! I'm not a tsundere!"

"But your ears turn red when I compliment your hair, you know."

"Th-It's red because I'm angry! Now give me the plastic bag, I have to take care of the cat quickly."

"Oh, that's right."

Kazuto then handed it over while remembering Misaki's reason for leaving.

They went outside and walked to the park. Because the distance between the park and their house is quite close, it only takes 3 minutes to get there.

"Mister Cat, where are you~"

When they got there, they looked for the cat, but it didn't take them long to find it.

"Ahh, there you are."

That cat was sitting on a slide while looking up at the sky as if he was contemplating something.

"What are you doing here?"

Misaki asked while crouching down.

The cat stared at her blankly for a moment then meowed and looked up at the sky again.

"It's nothing? Then why you look up when there are no stars in the sky."

She asked confusedly.

"Hahh, she's starting to act like a snow white again."

Meanwhile, Kazuto who was watching behind sighed when he saw this strange thing again.

Can she really communicate with the cat?

He had absolutely no idea with what was happening in front of him.

"By the way, I came to clean your wound again, so can you lie down for a bit? After that I'll feed you, okay?"

"Nyaa."

As if to say 'okay', the cat lay down and exposed the injured part.

"Hehehe, smart cat."

Misaki laughed innocently because this cat was so smart and understood every sentence she said, that she petted it for a moment. Satisfied with the feel of his soft fur, she began to treat the wound.

Having gotten used to the grooming since the first try during the previous time, Misaki was able to finish it quickly, and the cat didn't wince as much as he did the first time either. So she can do it in peace.

"Phew, done. For being nice by staying quiet, here, eat your food as a reward. Hehe, though I'll still give it to you anyway."

With a sweet laugh, Misaki fed him the bread that she brought while stroking him. She had torn them into small pieces so that his cat could easily eat them all.

"I don't know why I want to throw the cat into space now."

Meanwhile, Kazuto who had been pushed aside was blindly jealous of a cat.

Yes, he did it again.

But Misaki didn't know and kept ignoring him while playing with the cat.

After she was done with all she could do and the night was getting late, Misaki with a regretful face had to go home. It's a shame, even though she still wants to play with that strange cat.

"See you Mr. Cat, I'll be back tomorrow!"

"Nyaa~"

The cat retorted, although he still stared blankly and just sat straight, he kept watch over them until they were out of sight.

....

In the dark night sky where there are no stars. Misaki was staring at the sky with a blank and pensive gaze as she continued walking back to her house.

"Misaki, is there a problem?"

Kazuto who was walking side by side by her side asked as he worried seeing her strange behavior.

"I am alright."

She replied as she shake her head from side to side.

"It's just.... I've started to change, huh."

Anxiety, worry, and fear could be felt from her trembling voice.

Many things have happened now. Starting from having new friends, she is starting to open up to others, her communication skills are slowly improving, and what she thinks about the most right now. The changes that happened to her.

She has indeed accepted herself as she is now, but that doesn't mean the past she has experienced will be forgotten. Misaki thought, slowly but sure, she and her soul would somehow turn into a complete girl.

But she was afraid of it. She was afraid.... Maybe that she would forget who she really was. She was currently trapped in a fog illusion where she couldn't even see ahead, and inside the mist there was the right path, and also an abyss that will lead her into darkness. And if she took the wrong step? the abyss could eat her.

In another sense, she could have become a different person or remain who she is now. Or even, she might be able to become like Misaki in her past. The possibility is small, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Therefore, she hesitated to take a step and move forward.

"...."

Seeing Misaki restless again made Kazuto unable to say anything. This girl was too fragile when it came to things about her, especially her personality. And this is the second time after in the park. He'd rather see her complaining about how she always wore feminine clothes than worrying about this.

After a moment of silence and careful thinking the words he will say, Kazuto finally speak.

"Change... It does sound scary sometimes when we experience it, because trying to get used to something unfamiliar is uncomfortable."

Kazuto was silent for a moment before continuing.

"But hey, look at it from the other side. Just because you change doesn't mean everything is different. You are you, and I am I. People's nature changes a little bit, but that doesn't mean that person will change too. You are Misaki, and also my sister. Nothing has changed from that, got it?"

Kazuto explained with a gentle smile as he gently stroked her head. It made Misaki relax as she quietly enjoyed the softness of her hand.

Nothing's different even though I've changed a little?

"I see..."

She slowly smiled as she realized that she was only worrying about nothing.

"Sorry Onii-chan, I made you worry."

"No problem. And don't say sorry, it's my duty as your brother, right? It's better if you thank me and made my favorite food. I'm quite tired of thinking motivational words from Yamazaki Kenta."

Kazuto said as he lightly flicked Misaki's forehead.

"Ow! You evil Onii-chan. Treats your sister like a slave. And Yamazaki Kenta is an actor, not motivator!"

Misaki said while stroking her forehead with half-crying eyes. Even so, she seemed to have returned to normal after hearing his words.

"Hahaha, I don't know who I mentioned either. It just came out all the sudden from my mind."

They finally reached the house without them knowing.

"Let's go home, Misaki."

Kazuto said as he stretched out his arm to Misaki who was still outside while staring at the dark sky.

Misaki smiled faintly as she slowly accepted his outstretched hand.

"Yeah."

From the look in her bright eyes, she might have found the path she had been looking for.

Even though the road she walked was filled with fog and led her astray, at least she had a lantern to guide her through it all. The fog illusion finally dissipated as the path she was walking on grew brighter.

---

--

---

--

---

Extra

In the middle of a silent night where darkness shrouds the room.

Tut.. Tut.. Tut..

Kazuto was currently holding his cellphone, and was trying to contact someone.

Tut.. Tut..

It didn't take long for the person he was calling to take his call.

"Kazuto? Why are you calling at this hour? Is something wrong?"

Behind the voice was Endou. It seemed he was playing a video game, when he noticed gunshots and explosions.

He didn't care about it, and casually asked what he wanted.

"Do you know how to send a cat into space?"

"..."

Silence....

For a while there is no answer on the other side.

"W-What did you say? Say it again."

Endou asked stuttering. He seemed to have misheard being too sleepy so asked him to repeat it again.

"I said do you know how to send a cat into space?"

"..."

Againz there was no answer from Endou for a while. He seemed to be in shock at not expecting such an absurd question.

"Serious?"

"Serious."

"...."

Kazuto's answer was sharp and deep. He seems serious about throwing the cat out into space. And ridiculously enough, the reason he did that was because of his useless jealousy.

Tut..

Endou ends the call, thinking his friend has gone mad, and tries to sleep. But Kazuto's stupid question had kept him awake until morning.

39