Chapter 148.
2.1k 1 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 148. An Assassin’s and Friend’s First Interview for a Job (8/8)

“Haaaaaah. Well, it’s too late for me to cancel that wager since you already accepted it… I’m not the type to go back on my word. Since I made such a proposal and you accepted it, a deal is a deal. However, the deadline is midnight today. If you cannot get your mother’s written consent, I will fire this idiot over here on the spot.”

“If you manage to somehow convince your mother to let you work, you can have him send me a video showing your mother signing the form directly with the form visible as she signs it. Also, send a legible copy of the form as a picture after it’s signed. I’d also like to see her driver’s license in the video so I can confirm her identity as your mother. This way you can’t pull a fast one.”

“I understand. I will definitely convince her no matter what.”

“Why do you still seem so confident when I’m only giving you until the end of today? He said you have zero chance of success and you even admitted he was telling the truth. You’re definitely not a girl skilled enough to sneak a lie past my eye and I didn’t sense a hint of a lie in your words.”

Yes, if it was only me who said it, she would have never believed me as I lie all the time with a straight face. This wager wouldn’t have become a reality if it were not for Alicia’s double-edged sword that was both a strength and weakness. Alicia, a person one could tell at a glance whether she was lying or not; she was the ideal piece to make use of in this unseen game of chess. If she affirmed the truth, the Owner would surely be convinced. Alicia was that sort of girl. Honest and forthright to a tea. 

Alicia had played everything perfectly. Even now, the Owner was still convinced that the biggest lie I told today was the truth. Zero percent? It was actually one hundred percent. Alicia continually blurred out and revealed truth after truth without hiding a thing like the good honest girl she was. She hid nothing from the Owner, so why would she suddenly doubt that single big lie I told? She would never see it hidden among a giant veil of truths. Definitely not when she was enraged as well.

Everything had gone according to plan.

All the pieces were in position. The instant Alicia accepted the wager, the Owner was already in checkmate. She just didn’t see the final move. No, she couldn’t possibly see it, because I’d prepared it long in advance.

I’d never even put her into check up until this point.

Why? Because I’d blindside her with a checkmate.

It was my turn and I had the final move.

The one who could convince Alicia’s mother was not Alicia. It was me. With cold hard facts.

Congratulations, Alicia. You did splendidly. You didn’t even know a thing.

“Hahahaha… Owner…”

“What do you want?”

I stood up and covered my mouth.

“Is it alright if I get back to work now?” 

That was close, I almost wanted to reveal everything right there on the spot like some sort of dumbass supervillain. I finally understood why villains did such an idiotic thing like explain their entire master plan right before they won only to lose because they did so. It was far too much fun. It was killing me inside not being able to reveal the truth. But I wouldn’t leave any room to slip up. Never let your guard down until it truly is checkmate. Don’t play or toy with your opponents and have the rug pulled out from under your feet.

But I see. The one who arranged all this wasn’t me. If I hadn’t been here, Alicia definitely wouldn’t have even had a chance. Rosa had been the one who set all this up in the background.

The pieces of the puzzle fell into place as I instantly understood Rosa’s actions earlier.

She was aware of Alicia’s nervousness. She was concerned things would go bad. So she wanted a way to ensure her friend would be hired. But how would she do so? 

The answer was naturally me. At the very least, she had that much confidence in me that even if she dumped the problem on me she felt things would somehow work out. 

To cause a scene where the owner would take interest in the commotion. To make her wonder why I acted so uncharacteristically of me. The Owner was one who loved gossip and juicy material, Rosa knew of that.

Thus, stir up her interest in what sort of relationship I had with Alicia that made me help her out rather than take my girlfriend's side. 

I wasn’t the chess player here, it turned out Rosa was. But she had a convenient chess piece that would move the other pieces on the board for her. 

This time Irene definitely wasn’t lurking in the shadows behind Rosa. Rosa’s ability to pick up things and learn was actually a bit scary. That handicap I gave her, she didn’t even make use of it here. Rather, she used Alicia’s coupon.

She knew Alicia would turn to me if put into the position she pushed her into. She hadn’t been acting like a stuck-up uncaring princess at all, but rather the mastermind in helping her friend out.

Rosa, my assassin girlfriend.

What a wonderful girl.

“The two of you can leave now. If you somehow win this wager, I’ll be sure to have a good talk to the two… no, three of you. One more thing, Alicia, neither of you are permitted to reveal this wager to anyone. And definitely not your mother.”

When Alicia heard the Owners last words, her face paled. It seems she thought my plan was to force Irene into giving consent using the revelation of this wager where my job was on the line.

“Then, we will see each other again if that time comes to be, Owner.” I gave her a solemn bow with those parting words and acted as if she’d seen through our only plan at the very last moment and crushed our only chance to win. It was best to play along with Alicia’s misunderstanding. She was truly a Goddess that made all my most blatant lies appear to be the truth.

The two of us exited the room and Alicia immediately collapsed onto the chair outside.

“Ran… I’m sorry… because of me you’re going to lose your job.”

“You don’t need to worry about that. Just do whatever you can to convince Irene. That’s all you need to do. If you show her your resolution to work, I’m sure things will work out somehow.”

“So… revealing this wager was our only hope after all?”

“It’s not over until the fat lady sings, so don’t worry your head off so much. Things will be just fine, I promise.” I said that while heading out the door.

I left her behind in the room. I couldn’t help but notice from the corner of my eye on my way out the door how calm her expression became the instant she heard me say ‘I promise.’

What the hell? Everything is suddenly fine as long as I promise you something? All your worries just disappear in an instant? Don’t you have too much blind faith in me?

Stop believing in me so much, it’s embarrassing.

When I rounded the corner Rosa was inside the store still. It looked like Yuna was in a heated confrontation with her.

“Please get your girlfriend to leave the store already, she’s annoying!” As soon as I appeared Yuna made that request.

“Rosa, what are you still doing here?” I asked.

“I’m obviously waiting for Alicia, duh?” She rolled her eyes at me.

“Did you have to wait for her here of all places?”

“Of course. I need to get to know the girl who thinks I’m a slutty bitch since I’ll be working two shifts with her a week at the other store.” She looked like she was having fun pestering Yuna.

“Hey, hey, why don’t you tell me all about how much of a slutty bitch in heat I am again?”

“You called her that?”

“She is! All she does is blab on endlessly about sex!”

“Are you?”

“Of course I am. Isn’t it normal for girls to be curious about that sort of thing just like guys? As a girl who’s currently in university, there’s no way a pretty girl like Yuna is still a virgin, right? I just wanted to hear about all her wildest sex stories. Surely she’s slept around with a few guys by now.”

“Rosa, Alicia’s done her interview so go get her and return home.” I wasn’t going to touch this subject with a fifty-foot pole.

“What? You’re shooing your girlfriend away? How cruel~ once we did it once I’m now worthless to you and you can throw me away like a used rag?”

“What? You’ve done it? At such a young age?” Yuna asked, shocked.

“No, we haven’t. Rosa is just saying that to mess with you.”

“Well, it won’t be long before we do it.” Rosa ran off to the back room leaving those bombshell parting words behind.

Yuna’s entire body froze up when she heard Rosa’s declaration.

“Are high school girls these days all like this? What is wrong with the next generation of kids these days? Actually, why are you with such a girl? This makes no sense. She’s three years younger than you and still in high school, right?”

“Weren’t you the one going on about a nine-year gap not being a big deal before?”

“It’s different when the person is still in high school and you’re not.”

Well, we are both in high school though. Only Yuna was out of the loop here.

“Well, anyway, good luck with her on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Aren’t you glad though? You’ve got some potentially great content coming up even when you’re over at the other store now.”

“I don’t want this sort of content!”

“Hahaha, have fun.”

After that Alicia and Rosa departed and I went on the rest of my shift as usual. The Owner left the building through the back exit and didn’t even say goodbye. She was obviously fuming and still ticked off with me.

I’d no doubt have some rough times ahead. I’d acquired some of my pettiness from being involved with her after all.

82