Chapter 208.
1.5k 5 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 208. Ran Returns to School. (4/5)

The next day, Wednesday, at lunch I was approached by Jass.

He opened up with the following line, “Ran, please help me.”

“No way.” I flat out rejected without even hearing what he wanted to ask.

“What? Come on man, you didn’t even hear what my question was.”

“With Valentine’s Day approaching, I feel like it’s going to be a pain in the ass.”

“What? Come on dude, you effortlessly snatched the girl I liked right in front of my eyes with a single bold kiss when I’d spent months trying to break down her walls. Don’t you think you owe me as the person who helped get the two of you together by making you work up the courage to do something so daring?”

We were already together you idiot. If anything you forced me into doing something I didn’t want to do. Sure, I felt guilty about some stuff, but my instincts told me whatever you wanted to ask me for help with would be a pain in my ass. I’d rather not even hear the request.

God forbid it ends up being some ungodly predictable event like, ‘Help me hook up with Alicia who you know Rosa is close friends with.’ Don’t you try pulling some double date bullshit or I will seriously punch you in the face again for being so damn predictable.

“Ran, I want to move on from Rosa.”

“Don’t care, nobody asked. Me taking her should have already helped you with that.”

“It did, but some of my feelings toward her are still lingering.”

“That is not my problem.”

“Come on, just be a bro and help a guy out. You’re dating Rosa and she’s on really good terms with the girl that I’ve developed a bit of a crush on.”

Shut the actual fuck up.

I plugged my ears but he kept talking anyway. I cursed my ability to read his lips.

‘I’ve fallen for Alicia. I want to confess to her on the day of the Valentine’s Day school dance and ask her to slow dance with me.’ That was what I got by reading his lips.

I unplugged my ears and cursed, “What the hell, you couldn’t get Rosa so now you’re chasing after Rosa’s best friend? And only two days after she got a boyfriend? Aren’t you too damn quick to bounce back? Are you some kind of super bouncy ball?”

“You can’t dwell on the past forever. A true man needs to stand back up on their feet and continue to fight even after suffering a crushing defeat.”

“Stand up, sure, but give it at least a week man.”

“Time is of the essence, I can’t hesitate. It’s almost Valentine’s Day and there are sure to be tons of guys that will be trying to win Alicia over. The battle has already begun, if I delay I’ll be too late to even stand a chance. She’s in her second year after all.”

“What if she already had a boyfriend? Did you ever consider that?”

“She doesn’t have a boyfriend. Nobody has ever seen her with such a person at least.”

“She could just be keeping it a secret you know.”

“What? Are you saying you know for a fact she has one? Did you find out from Rosa?”

“Huh? Uh… well…” I felt like I couldn’t hide it for the second time. I had to at least let him know early this time the uphill battle he faced. To be fair, if he did somehow win Alicia’s heart, I had no right to complain when I thought about my own situation. What right did I even have to stop him from pursuing her when I was entangled with multiple women and even Alicia’s mother at that?

“The thing is, Alicia does have a boyfriend. I heard this from Rosa, but you can’t let Rosa know I’m telling you this. You have to keep this on the down-low. I don’t know anything about the guy she’s dating though so there’s no point in asking me anything more about him.”

“What! Seriously?”

“Yeah. Seriously, which is why I suggest you give up now.”

“You really don’t know anything? Not even if they’re in the same class or if he’s an older guy?”

“Well, the only thing I heard is that they’re older than her, that’s all.”

“No waaaaaay… haaaaaah. This is too depressing, all the pretty girls are always taken.”

“It’s a tough world out there, but there are many fish in the sea. You shouldn’t let it get you so down. Rather, you should be relieved to find out early rather than getting your hopes up too high.”

“Well… I guess you’re right. But… why would she want to keep it a secret from everyone? Isn’t it a bother for her to have to hide it and reject every confession she receives from guys? If everyone knew she wouldn't have to deal with so much extra hassle.”

“Well, there might be certain reasons for that. Who knows though? They might just not want all the attention that comes with it.”

“Attention… you said the guy was older, but you don’t know exactly how much older, right?”

“Yeah… all I know is that he’s older.”

“Then… what if… Alicia’s been deceived by an old middle-aged man? I heard Alicia recently started a part-time job at the same time as Rosa. Students have seen them working between two convenience stores. What if Alicia got tricked into something with a customer she met? Maybe she’s even being blackmailed against her will or something? Aaah! What if the guy she’s with is married and having an affair with her? She could just be some sort of side mistress. Maybe she doesn’t even know she’s a mistress.”

Why is he so wrong but right at the same time? How is it possible that this idiot’s wild imagination has led him to a quasi correct answer?

“Aren’t you just a dying man grasping at straws?” I really wanted to laugh it off as nothing, but the situation in a way resembled what he said in a twisted, convoluted way.

“Can you say with certainty that this isn’t the case without knowing the identity of the person Alicia is involved with?”

“Just go ask her yourself if you’re so curious. The person in question is really the only one who can clear up any weird misunderstanding you might have.”

“But… you said not to let anyone know about her boyfriend. If I reveal I know, wouldn't it be inconvenient since there are probably a very limited number of people who might know?”

“Then just confess to her and try to pry the answer out of her yourself. She can clear up what type of person she’s dating on her own if you can force the answer out of her. Ask if there’s a specific reason why she’s rejecting you. If she said there is, ask if it’s because there’s someone she’s already dating. With how honest she is, it’s not too hard to tell when someone like her is hiding something or lying. But to begin with, she doesn’t like lying and is a very honest girl. At least that’s what I’ve heard about her from Rosa.”

“I see, that could work. But… I won’t confess to her going in with such a pessimistic losing attitude. I’m going in there with every intention to win her over. Even if I have to steal her away from her boyfriend. She’s too good of a girl to pass upon.”

“You realize how popular she is, right? Do you seriously believe you stand a chance with so much competition?”

“If I didn’t have a trump card I wouldn’t even try. But because I have her best friend’s boyfriend as a card to play, I believe there’s at least a fighting chance.”

“Give up on that thought right now. I’m on good terms with Rosa, not Alicia. Alicia may be Rosa’s best friend, but Alicia herself is the very bane of my existence as a loner, I’d like to keep as far away from her as possible.”

“Come on bro, can’t you get Rosa to act as a middle man?”

“Absolutely not. You’re on your own.”

“Come on! At least help arrange a meeting with her for me as her best friend’s boyfriend. You can at least do that much, can’t you? I’m sure she would listen to the request of her best friend.”

Bro, she’d jump off a bridge if I told her to, she sold her soul to me. 

Not good, not good, his speech pattern is rubbing off on me. I can’t go getting all buddy-buddy with him. My status as a loner will be tarnished if I get lumped together as being in a group with this sociable guy.

57