Chapter 8
282 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry for the very late update. I've got no excuse. My proscinating habit is as bad as always. I'm starting another project, so I am still thinking about whether I will continue this novel or not...

 

*Teng… Teng… Teng…*

 

The sound of a Bell ringing in my head. It takes me back from the strange daze I was in. The bell sound is coming from the front, from a tower clock on top of a fountain. The streams of water that burst out from the surroundings are flowing erratically in the air. Wetting the tower along the way.

 

The tower was supported with octa pillars. Those ivy-like pillars coiled around in the air and assembled at the top. At a chunk of the crystal-shaped object, the pillars are supporting it like some kind of award. And inside that transparent crystal is the clock, it’s tick-tock tackling my ear ticklingly. 

 

Weirdly enough, no matter which angle I watched the clock, I could see the front part of it clearly. And as if that wasn't weird enough, when the needle pointers indicated at noon. All streams of water that were dancing in the air suddenly gathered atop the crystal at once. Forming a bell and two small hammers made of ice crystal. Right then, the hammers began hitting the bell alternately. Resulting in a loud bell sound that announced to everyone in the vicinity the time for the sun to reach its zenith.

 

Currently, I was standing in a plaza, with the fountain and the tower clock as the center. My feet brought me here a few minutes ago. The game service started at 8 p.m. in real life, but in the virtual world, it started at the opposite, at 8 a.m. I logged in a bit late because of the experiment and the avatar creation. Thus, I came down to the city half an hour before the bell rang.

 

The plaza’s diameter was as wide as a football court. Of course, as the center of the city, I spotted many different people coming by this place. A group of children playing flying tag-and-run, an elderly couple resting in the shade of a tree, and a lone individual gawking left and right at the sight of the bustling city. I can differentiate that the lone individual is just like me, a player. It's obvious by how the individual has been behaving, like a country-bumpkin that traveled to the capital city for the first time. Meanwhile, those children and the elderly couple are NPCs. They are native to this world, they were used to the scene, Born, grew up, and died on this island. Behaving as humans would even though they were just a lump of data in the real.

 

There are also several stalls on the outer edge of the plaza. Those stalls mainly sell food, but some of them also sell other things. Like that woman in her late 20s tending the flowers in her stall or that granny selling children's toys.

 

The bell had already stopped when I looked back at it. The fountain was back as before. Time to look at those stalls. I thought as I turned my heels from the fountain, walking lightly towards one of the food stalls when I heard a girl shout.

 

"No! Leave me alone!!!"

 

I turned my head toward the source of the shout. There, a group of thugs hitting on a young woman. One of the thugs, with brown hair, forcefully grabbed the woman's hand.  

 

Tsk. I clicked my tongue reflexively. No matter in which world, a cliche like this was bound to happen sooner or later. Moreover, after observing the surroundings, the look on the people's faces was fear rather than disgust. Clearly, there's something else going on here. 

 

"Please help!" The young woman cried out helplessly.

 

"Gahaha, it’s useless, sweety. No one's gonna butt in to help you. They're just a bunch of cowards after all. Heh, they fear us, a member of Dark Comet's guild!" said another thug with bright red hair. He conducts himself arrogantly, acting as sort of their leader. 

 

"Dark comet's guild?" I mumbled hearing the unfamiliar name.

 

"Oh? You're new around here aren't you, little girl?" It seems I mumbled quite loudly as the old man standing beside me chided in.  

 

Little girl huh… Well yeah, from the perspective of an old man, a 15 years old girl is little. But, It is still weird being called a little girl.

 

"Yes, I'm new here. Are those men dangerous, sir?" I replied to him politely.

 

"Nah, they're not dangerous per se. They don't kill, steal, or anything like that. It's just... They cause ruckus everywhere. And every time it happens, they like to punch through it." 

 

Punch through it? That's mean they like to show off their power? What an unreasonable group… I sighed. They cause a problem first then use force to solve it...

 

"I see... Then, isn't that a problem? Will there be a fight?"

 

"Yeah, usually either they win or someone beats them to pulp."

 

"What happens if they win?" I asked mindfully. Lowering my voice a little.

 

"It's… varied…" The old man answered with a frown. "Depending on the individual, but that red-haired man isn't good news." He continued. From the looks of his face, I guess this farce won't end pretty if they win.

 

"Is he strong?" 

 

"I can get toe and toe with the underling… But, that red-haired man is different. He is..."

 

Before the old man could complete his sentence, the aforementioned man spoke off, "My name is Alfus Rex, the red ghoul. Whoever wants to save this lady here, come! Face me off! Let's duel!!!" 

 

He declared proudly, like a shiny knight preserving his knightly etic. However, his earlier behavior did nothing but put him in the wrong, on the villain side.

 

Hearing the challenge, the crowd grew more intense. Whispers of the infamous name were heard here and there. The once peaceful plaza was now filled with dread. Some of the people averted their eyes from the scene, while many others took a step back. Taking care to not get the burn. 

 

"See? You won't get any help. This island is so peaceful that the guards are nothing more than a symbol. Just give up, I'm sure we will treat you lasciviously. Hehehe…" The red hair laughed repulsively.

 

"No!!! Please!" She tried calling for help once again... Alas, no one responded. Her desperate plight just pleased the thugs and made their laughter more apparent.

 

The woman's face fell beyond dark seeing the situation. Imagining the horror if she did stick with them. When she was about to give up, at last, someone showed up.

 

"Oya? Someone dares to show up? Looks like your luck is still here, sweety." Alfus Rex changed his focus to the youth who came out from the crowd. "May I ask your name? O Brave Hero?" 

 

"My name is Alex. And I'm not a Hero. I'm just your everyday player." The youth answered.

 

"Anyway, cut the crap, I'll beat you and save the lady." As Alex said that, he drew his sword from the scabbard and took a stance.

 

"Gehehe, someone's impatient. But, very well… I'll humor you." With a glint In his eyes, Rex also pulled a sword out of nowhere. 

 

The two glared at each other, the tension in the plaza was rising. Everyone held their bated breath at the duel. The first one to make a move was Rex, his right hand holding the sword, he started running. Plunging towards Alex while his sword makes a fast horizontal swing. In response, Alex swung his sword downward.

 

With the clang of the swords, the duel started.

 

___

 

My name is Alex, and I am just your ordinary person. After working all day, I spent the rest of my time playing VR games. 

 

To be honest, I am not that into games. I just happen to like traveling to places I've never been. But, because of the lack of money and time, that hobby of mine was put on hold indefinitely.

 

As escapism, I run to Virtual Reality. With how advanced technology is now, I could enjoy the new scenery some VR games provide, even though it's not real.

 

Today happens to be the new release of the latest VRMMORPG game 'Bentengan'. While the game's high graphic was usual among the other VR games, the compressed time system was groundbreaking. With that system, I, and many other players who are too busy, could also play the game to the fullest.

 

As I was strolling through the beginning city I heard a commotion and before I knew it, right now, I am dueling an NPC. At first, I didn't want to be involved with the commotion. Surely, someone with plenty of sense of justice will help the woman. But, as it went on I realized there wasn't anyone like that in the crowd. And so, with a huge reluctance in my chest, I stepped in for the duel.

 

I'm not someone who people would say  "Whoa! He is hella strong, I bet he's a professional gamer." something along that line. However, I have played a share of games and experienced a similar VR game in the past. That's why I absolutely must win in my first fight in this game. 

 

Though I had said that, the duel has been stagnating for minutes. Neither of us had the upper gain. Once again, my opponent, Rex, starts his offensive.  

 

Sound of irons clanging as I block his diagonal swing. After locking our sword for a few seconds, I paired it to the side, then countered with a horizontal slash. 

 

Sensing it, Rex evaded to the back. Just as I predicted he would stop a moment to regain his footing, he abruptly dashed toward my side, unleashing a fury of attacks. After slashing my left, he spun his body while at the same time building momentum to slash my right. He then followed it up with a powerful crescent upward slash.

 

Ugh! I groaned at my trembling hands. He’s too agile I tell you! Also, His attack pattern was erratic! Even if I predicted his first and second move, his follow-up attack was so fast that I barely managed to keep up with it thanks to my steady posture. We were the opposite. I was the type of player who analyzed my opponent calmly first while waiting for a chance, he was the type that rushed ahead creating the chance itself.

 

Unfortunately, unlike him, I was unused to fighting. The gap of experience can be seen with how hard I struggled in this duel. 

 

"Oh, you also managed to block that? You're quite good." Said Rex as he put his sword on his shoulder, standing a meter in front of me.

 

"Say the one who's holding back, you've yet used your mana and skill, don't you?"

 

"Gahaha! You're also quite perceptive, I like it. This will be fun!" Saying so, Rex prepared his stance again. In the next seconds, red translucent fireflies appeared around him. 

 

That is mana. One of the game features. Usually, mana couldn't be seen. Like air, it's transparent and flowing freely in the atmosphere. However, when mana is used -be it by living creatures or non-living objects- a certain phenomenon was created depending on how the mana was used.

 

The one which Rex caused, the fireflies phenomenon, appeared when someone used mana to activate a physical skill. Naturally, I also know how to use it. It was a basic skill. I learned it in the Headquarters before I came here. 

 

So, I concentrated my mind, I began activating my skill. Instead of red, green translucent fireflies appeared surrounding me. Those fireflies lifely floating before it was absorbed into my body.

 

"I'm ready, let's start the next round," I stated. After the green fireflies or the mana have been absorbed by me, my mind is refreshed and my body feels light. Let’s win this!! 

 

Unlike the first round, I started my offensive. With my boosted body, I dashed, brandishing my sword along the way. The gap of fighting experience hit me hard. If I don't take the risk by going offensive, eventually, I will be overwhelmed by Rex.

 

Likewise, Rex also dashed. Our swords meet in the middle. And the clang of the swords was louder than before. The give and take of the slash were begun. The repeated clang reverberated in the plaza. I received a cut here and there but it's nothing serious. Moreover, Rex didn't get away scot-free, my counter-attacks landed a hit one or two. I can get on equal terms with him.

 

Just as I feel my chance of winning increase, Rex changed his attack pattern. Suddenly, he jumped backward, making him open to an attack. Not wanting to waste the chance, I chased. Yet, my attack missed, he jumped using the air as a foothold. 

 

A jumping skill!!! I cried out in my heart.

 

Caught off on guard, Rex slashed my back while somersaulting. There's no blood spurting as this was a game, a group of pretty red polygons scattered instead. However, the pain was real. In addition, there's no HP indicator in this game, but like in real life, leaving a deep wound in my back will deteriorate my stamina faster. Not to mention my broken concentration.

 

No! I don't want to lose my first fight! I gritted my teeth, twisting my body as Rex just about landed on the ground. But again, my attack missed. He used the earlier air jumping skill to dodge it.

 

After Rex took some distance, He then quickly circled me. With Rex's speed and skill, that simple act pressured me. Not knowing where and when your opponent might strike you is fatal. And thus, despite being wounded in my back, I pour all of my concentration to follow Rex's movement.

 

A second later, Rex, at his top speed, turned. Using the air as a spring, he charged at me frontally like a red bullet. His sword was clad in red fireflies, indicating that he was whipping up a skill

 

Not wanting to lose at the last bout, I also prepared my skill. Just like Rex, green fireflies rounding up my sword. I waited for the moment he entered my range. However, just a meter outside my range, he disappeared. 

 

What!!! Where's he? Above?! I panicked for a split second.

 

"Behind you!!!"

 

At that critical moment, someone yelled. 

 

No time to think about it! Trusting the shout, I rotated. I swung my sword and called out my sword's skill.

 

"Heavy Striiikeee!!!!!"

 

*CLAAANNGGGG*

 

A clash of green and red flashed in the plaza. The two manas collided, resulting in a shockwave. Both of the users bounced off from the center. The red-haired man flew off in the air back to his group while the challenger scraped the ground near the edge of the crowd.

 

A heavy silence filled the crowd. Everyone waited in expectation for the result of the duel. The first one to get up was Rex.

 

"Gah, that's hurt!" yelled Rex, he casually got up and cracked his neck. Even though the last bout was quite intense, he's rather fine. No serious injury or whatsoever.

 

On the other hand, the challenger, me, on top of that my right hand going limp, my tattered clothes speak off itself how many injuries I'm suffering.

 

It's clear who's the winner of the duel. But, contrary to everyone's expectations, Rex just clicked his tongue. 

 

"Tch. So the guards came..."

 

Apparently, one of the thugs conveyed that information to him. The guards probably heard the ruckus and came here. 

 

Just like that, the members of Drak Comet's guild left the plaza. Everyone breathed a big sigh of relief at that. Especially the lady who became the victim. She dropped to her knees, looking extremely relieved.

 

A few minutes later the guards came. They immediately get to work. And after another couple of minutes, the crowd had already dispersed. The plaza was back as before. While the end was a bit anticlimactic, I think this was the best outcome.

 

“It’s a bit frustrating to lose my first fight though, and who’s the one yelled at the last clash I wonder…”

___

 

12