Part 1: Chapter 7
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I hate being right.

Selene rested her head on the palm of her hand, leaning on her arm in her lifeguard chair. After taking another sigh, she looked at the empty pool. The scent of excessive chlorine made her face squint. Her eyes drifted to the clock pinned on the wall.

This shift is never going to end. Of course Matt calls out the one day that I don’t want to work.

She leaned back in her chair and became distracted by the ebb and flow of the water. Selene became entranced by the quietness, becoming numb to the sound of small waves crashing into the ceramic tile.

What happened to Vic? She thought. Her heartrate rose as she recounted the events of the night prior. I should have left like Quang asked. The Nghiems wouldn’t have been attacked. And I’d still have my necklace. A sigh came out as she rested her head against the cushion of the lifeguard chair, tapping her fingers along the bright red float that rested on her lap.

Just an hour and a half to go…

A single yawn came out. Selene blinked a few times while looking at the clock before feeling her head become heavier. She tilted her face to the side and felt each blink of her eyes lasting longer. The warm trace of sunlight that penetrated through the window. The calm splash of water. The comfort of the seat’s cushion. It wasn’t long before everything went dark.

Then a splash of water sent a cold shock throughout her entire body. Her eyes opened wide as she darted up from her seat, gazing into the pool. Her float fell to the ground as she frantically scanned the water searching for a hapless swimmer, but it was still as empty as when she last saw it.

“Didn’t get enough sleep last night, huh?” said a familiar voice. Selene looked down to the side of her chair and saw Quang looking up at her. He had her red float in his hand, raising it to invite her to take it.

“There are other ways to get a lifeguard’s attention,” Selene rebutted as she dried herself off with her towel.

“Isn’t it your job to be paying attention in the first place?”

Selene rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah. Everything alright?”

“My mom’s fine. Back hurts a bit,” Quang rubbed the sore spot where he had collided with the table, “But I’ve been through worse. We got a new table, too.”

“That’s what’s really important.”

“Yeah. But, I uh, I came here to ask you something.” Quang scratched the back of his head, looking into the water as he avoided making eye contact with the lifeguard.

“What is it?”

“Well, it’s a kind of a big favor. I don’t want you to, you know, think that I think that you should help me out. If you say no, I totally understand. No hard feelings at all. And if you—"

“Quang!” Selene snapped.

“Yeah?” He looked at the lifeguard. She appeared mildly peeved.

“Just ask what it is you want to ask.”

“Right. So I got an idea this morning. I think it might give me a lead to where Vic is.”

“Really?” Selene’s expression instantly went from annoyed to intrigued.

Quang nodded. “It’s not much, but it’s a start. And I was wondering if you’d be willing to help me out.”

Selene looked towards the ceiling as she pondered. “I don’t see why not. Not like I got anything better to do.”

Quang’s eyes opened. “That’s all it takes to convince you? You remember what happened last night, right? Sure you don’t want to at least think about it a little more?”

“You said that I could handle myself.”

“I know but—”

“Didn’t you come here asking me for help?” Selene said as she cut her eyes.

“Yes.”

“So why are you trying to talk me out of it as soon as I said yes, huh?”

“Okay. I get it. You’re right. What time do you get off?”

Selene took another look at the clock. She still had another thirty minutes of her shift left. “I can go now.”

“In the middle of the afternoon? As a pool lifeguard?”

“You see anyone else here? It’s a school night.”

Quang looked into the vacant pool. “Good point. So you’re ready to go now?”

Selene started climbing down the ladder of her seat. “Yep. Just let me get dressed.”


“So what’s the deal?” Selene asked. She finished locking the entrance to the pool room and was turning the sign on the front to closed. “What did you learn about your missing friend?”

“It’s not something I learned. It’s more like something I realized.”

“Oh?” Selene gave the pool room door one last tag to make sure the lock was secure.

“Here’s the thing about Vic,” Quang continued, walking beside Selene as she zipped up the same purple and pink jacket that she had on before. “He’s not the best at making friends.”

“Ah,” Selene said with a nod. “I got that feeling with our little meeting with that Rodney fellow.”

“Don’t worry. I’ve got plenty of good stories about him too. He’s just the kind of guy that has a bit of a hard time making a first impression. He’s the type to stick to his beliefs and makes sure everyone around him understands that.”

“I think we all know someone like that.”

“So you know what I’m talking about. Well, one day we had a few folks show up and the restaurant. They were from this dojo that had opened in town not too long ago. Dragon’s Bite I think?”

“I’ve heard of them,” Selene said with raised eyebrows. “A couple of the kids that show up here are always talking about dragons and karate. I always thought it was a video game or something.”

“And let me guess. They’re black belts, right?” Quang asked with sarcasm.

“I think I remember them mentioning that.”

“That’s because it’s probably true. It’s a place for people to buy blackbelts. Or so Vic puts it.”

“He said that to them I assume?”

Quang nodded. “Yep. Those guys had just gotten their blackbelts too and were just itching for a fight.”

“What happened?”

“Went just as you would expect. Three guys that have been doing karate stances for a few months against a guy that had been training with an instructor like Rodney for his entire life? Vic took the first guy down in a few seconds and his friends backed off. I had to step in before anyone got hurt too bad.”

“And by anyone, I assume you mean the other guy?” Selene asked.

Quang nodded again. “Sometimes Vic would bring them up now and then. Normally I’d chalk it up as just his usual trash talk. But what if he went to their dojo to confront them again?” Quang held the door open, letting Selene walk through first. “I know it’s a stretch.”

“But it’s a start.” Selene extended one arm high above her head as she let out a yawn. “And what exactly do you need me for?”

“Back-up,” Quang replied with a faint shake in his voice.

“Back-up?”

“You know. In case things go wrong.”

Selene raised an eyebrow, giving him a perplexed look. “I think I’m going to need a bit more explanation.”

“They’re all blackbelts, so you know they’re itching to use all of their newfound techniques on a real opponent. And I’d be going over there to ask about someone that’s not-so-favorable.”

Selene grinned, giving Quang a gentle jab on his shoulder. “I get it. If these ‘blackbelts’ are just like you said, then we have nothing to worry about.”

“Thanks, Selene. It really means a lot. And I can make it up to you, too. Kinda strapped for cash for now, but I can figure something out. You need a ride? Free food? Just let me know.”

“I’ll keep you to your word.” Selene said with a wink. She popped open the passenger side door and took a seat inside Quang’s car.  He sat down inside the driver seat and adjusted the rearview mirror.

“Oh, and I brought something for you too.” He tilted his head towards the back seat. Selene peeked behind her, pleasantly startled when she saw a pair of oak tonfas sitting there. “I remember you saying you had some experience with those. Rodney gave me a pair back when I trained with him.”

“Those are for me?”

“Yeah. I never really used them before.”

Selene reached back and took the weapons, admiring them from every angle possible. The wood was smooth and the curves glistened in the afternoon sun. “Thank you, Quang! These are the real deal.” She held onto the handle and got her upper body into a proper stance, feeling the heftiness of each tonfa as she threw out a few slow and short attacks.

“Hopefully you won’t have to use them.”

Selene rolled her eyes, but her grin was still present. “Why do I get the feeling that won’t be the case?”

1