Part 2: Chapter 1
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In front of the entrance to the dojo was a receptionist counter. A woman in a black gi stood by a computer, turning her head when she saw Selene walk through the front door. Quang was right behind, looking around the area nervously as they moved in closer towards the reception desk.

“Hello,” Selene said as she leaned across the counter with both hands. The receptionist was startled, leaning back as she eyed the woman up and down. Selene had an eager expression on her face as she tilted her head towards the main training area. “Would it be possible to meet with one of your instructors?”

The woman behind the desk adjusted her glasses, blinking twice as she looked towards Quang. “Umm… Possibly. Are you here to sign up for lessons?”

Selene shook her head. “No, no, no. I think we’re more than competent when it comes to self-defense. I’m here to talk to… Fátima. I believe that’s her name.”

“Oh. Well, right now the dojo is in operating hours and we don’t allow non-students to come in during lessons.”

“But she has my necklace!” Selene said, her face shifting from one of eagerness to annoyance.

The receptionist tweaked her glasses again as she struggled to find the proper words to respond with. “I’m sorry, ma’am. Rules are rules.”

“Let me handle this,” Quang whispered to Selene. With a roll of her eyes she stepped to the side and let him take over the situation. “Sorry about my friend here,” he said to the receptionist. “We’re just here to… take a little tour.” He leaned on one arm over the desk and looked at the poster pinned on the back wall. A life-size depiction of an older gentleman with pale skin looked down upon him. His black karate uniform made the roundness of his gut more pronounced. His right hand was reaching forward as if he were trying to rip through the poster with the claw he had formed with his fingers. But what had caught Quang’s eye the most was the misaligned hairpiece that covered his head.

“Are you looking to sign up for courses from Sensei Noah Belanger?” The receptionist asked.

“Uh, maybe. I would like to ask some questions first. You know, try to get a feel for the place before making any commitments.”

“If that’s the case you’ll have to wait for the weekend. That’s when we’re open to the public for questions and tours.”

“But it’s very important that we go inside. Maybe you can make an exception this one time?”

“I’m sorry sir,” the woman said hesitantly. “Seems like you two are up to something. I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask both of you to leave.”

Selene nudged Quang away from the desk. “Listen lady,” she said in a stern manner, her eyes cutting towards the receptionist. The woman tilted her head back as her eyes widened like a deer in headlights. “This man’s friend is missing. That woman has a necklace that was stolen from me yesterday. There’s something shady going on here, and I’m not talking about the crazy hocus pocus karate your boss is teaching. Now, my… associate and I are trying to resolve this in the most peaceful manner possible. But if we’re not allowed back there, then we might have to get the proper authorities involved.”

“Can I get some help over here?” The receptionist shouted with a tinge of fear. A set of three karetekas in black gis stopped their practice and headed towards the main lobby.

“Why did you have to do that?” Quang whispered to Selene.

“Do what?” Selene replied, surprised.

“I had it under control. Now you’ve made a scene.”

Selene surprise turned to annoyance. “I didn’t do it! She did!” She didn’t hold back her voice as her finger pointed directly at the receptionist. Quang took another look at the trio approaching them, becoming surprised once he recognized them as they closed in.

“Is there a problem here?” The one in front asked sternly. He had a black belt wrapped around his scrawny waist and his long brown hair was parted just far enough away from his eyes to see. He crossed his arms, staring at Quang. The man squinted and tilted his head upon further inspection of the guest. “You look familiar,” he said as he took another step forward.

“So you remember me, huh?” Quang asked with crossed arms. The leader zeroed in, stopping only inches away from Quang’s face.

“Yeah. I do,” the man cut his eyes. Quang could feel his breath against his cheek. Despite the fighter’s attempt to intimidate, Quang stood adamant with a solemn expression. “You were at that restaurant when that lowlife picked a fight with us.”

Quang closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. He fought the urge to clench his fists as he let the air go through his body and relax his muscles. “I remember,” he said in a soft voice. “I know you and my pal didn’t get along, but that’s why we’re here. I was wondering if he ever stopped by here.”

The three karatekas let out a hearty laugh. The leader looked at Quang’s dead-set eyes and continued his cackle with a pointer finger waving in his face. “That clown is your friend or something?”

“Hey!” Selene stepped between the two, taking the karate practitioner off-guard. The laughter ended as Selene pointed at the leader with one finger with a look of indignation in her eyes. “This is a serious matter here! This man’s friend has gone missing. Can’t you put aside some pointless feud that happened who-knows how long ago and just tell us what we need to know?”

“Good riddance,” the leader said, “One less clod to worry about.” A smug grin came across his face. He looked at Quang and watched with glee as anger took overtook him; his breathing became faster. His lips were pursed. Both hands wadded into fists. “Both of you need to get out of here. We won’t tell you again.”

Selene watched Quang. He was motionless, staring down the leader all while maintaining that same stern look he had back when the Union attacked his restaurant. She remained silent, switching her attention back to the instructors of the Dragon’s Bite dojo as they cackled to themselves. As if in slow motion, she could see the leader reach over and give Quang a forceful shove with one hand. He remained steadfast, only letting the upper portion of his body be shifted by the push.

“Alright. Time to get going,” the man said snarkily. He got in closer, now taking a sloppy karate stance. His legs were straight and his back crooked, but it was clear that an attack was imminent. A single punch was thrown, stopping inches away from Quang’s face. In that same moment, Quang seized the hand in front of him and contorted it so that the wrist made perpendicular angle with the rest of his arm. The attacker lunged towards the floor, moaning as Quang kept a firm grip on his wrist and used his other hand to lock the arm behind the man’s back.

“Not until I get some answers.”

1