Part 2: Chapter 3
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Belanger looked around at his class. The students all looked lost as they stared back at him. His heart raced as he shifted his attention from his worried pupils to the unimpressed intruders.  

 “Knock ‘em out with the Wyvern Claw!” Spencer shouted, regaining his composure. Despite his limping, there was a smile on his face. “Show them what a mistake they’ve made by barging in here!”

“Wyvern Claw?” Selene whispered to Quang.

“I think it’s that face-holding thing we saw from the window.”

“Oh.”

“I can’t just use the Wyvern Claw.” Belanger let out a nervous laugh as he shrugged his shoulders. “You know how dangerous that can be. They may be rude, but they don’t deserve that kind of treatment.”

“But you demonstrate it all the time!” Jake said. “When you use it on us, we end up just fine.”

“That’s uh… that’s the light version,” Belanger snapped back. “It’s because… er… your body has been conditioned to withstand it. All of my training let’s you survive it! These two? Who knows what would happen? For all we know they could end up in a coma!” Belanger crossed his arms, nodding with a smile as he looked at a still unenthused Quang and Selene. “You two are fortunate that I’ve taken an oath to only use my techniques in the most dangerous of encounters.”

Spencer ran up to his master, placing one hand on his shoulder and pointed towards the two outsiders with vitriol. “But Sensei, this is the exact type of situation that we’ve been training for. You should have seen what they did to me, Jake and Kiki!”

“When you’ve been studying martial arts for as long as I have, there are certain rules you have to abide by. I’m not going to use my most dangerous move on someone who clearly is not a threat,” Belanger scoffed.

“But they’re with that guy that had that… triple nunchuck thing!” The confidence from dojo owner’s face vanished upon remembering exactly who Spencer was referring to.

“Wait a sec. You mean… that guy?” Belanger said with a twinge of hesitation. Spencer nodded.

“What did you just say? Triple nunchucks?” Quang stepped between Belanger and the instructor, drawing both of their attention. “That’s why we stopped by here,” he said in a calm voice. All his muscles had relaxed as he began talking to the other pair. Spencer was still visibly furious, contrasting greatly with the worry on his master’s face. “We don’t want any trouble. Honest. It’s a big misunderstanding. I’m just looking for my friend. He’s known for his skills with a sanjiegun.”

Belanger squinted his eyes. “A… what now?”

“Three-section staff? You know. The triple nunchucks your instructor was talking about.”

“Oh. That thing.” Belanger crossed his arms, peering into Quang’s hopeful eyes. “Well, seeing as how you and your friend barged in here, assaulted my instructors and interrupted my lesson, I don’t think I owe you anything.”

“So he was here!” Quang snapped back. “You recall the weapon he had!”

Belanger gave a wag of his head. “I’m not saying he was. Not saying he wasn’t. But what I am saying is that you and your friend have got to go.” With one finger he pointed to the exit.

“But that guy attacked Quang first!” Selene jumped in on the conversation and with her thumb gestured at Spencer. “If anybody deserves to have an attitude it’s us. Not to mention you’re employing thieves! Or… at least people that associate with them.”

“I can’t believe what I’m hearing. I’ve never been so insulted in my life!” Belanger tilted his head upwards, his nose angled at the ceiling as he turned away from the unwanted guests.

“You can’t let them get away with this,” Spencer pleaded. “You’re always talking about how important respect is! Now is the perfect time to show them that the Dragon’s Bite is all bite.”

“Why don’t you two handle this?” Belanger replied uneasily. “You were caught off guard. But now it’ll be a fair match. Mano a mano. Show our guests what you’re capable of.” He gave Spencer a pat on the shoulder and stretched his other hand towards the intruders. The instructor blinked twice, looking at Selene and then towards Quang. “You can do it,” Belanger remarked. “You too, Jake.”

“Yes… Sensei…” Jake replied in a dejected tone as he waddled forward with trembling legs. Belanger’s confidence soon returned once both instructors stood by his side.

“We’ll be out of your hair if you could just tell me what you know about my friend. You said you saw him. I’m just trying to figure out…”

Belanger pushed Spencer’s shoulder, making him charge towards Quang. He threw a high punch that was deflected by Quang’s open palm. “Go help him out.” Belanger proceeded to shove Jake into the fray. With Quang occupied with restraining Spencer’s arm, Jake barged into Quang’s side and tackled him onto the mat.

“Hey!” Selene ran to Quang’s aid, grabbing Jake by the sleeve of his gi and rolling him off her friend. “You’re not even trying to make it fair!” Jake rose to his feet in an ungraceful manner as his entire body swayed like a blade of grass in the wind.

“You alright, Quang?” Selene asked as she took his hand and raised him up. Quang stretched his neck from side and did a quick tug on his jacket. His brow furrowed as he looked at the two fighters opposite of him.

“Yeah. I’m alright. No more playing around.” He raised his fists and spread his legs into a kickboxing stance. Selene placed her back to his, extending one hand in front of her body.

“Try not to get suplexed this time.”

1