Day 13 – The Pursuit of Comfiness
298 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

recap

Spoiler

Ayame - Body A of the protagonist's split consciousness. Originally possessed [Studious Advance].

Hideki - Body B of the protagonist's split consciousness. Originally possessed [Thespian Bureaucracy].

Ikko - an ikemen who used to be the leader of the group. Became injured during the monster attack. Possesses a strong Cheat Skill.

Takashi - a Non-Entity who possesses [Manifest Weapon], one of the strongest Cheat Skills. Leads a dissenting group comprised of Otaku boys and Non-Entities.

Chiho - a rich girl who serves as second or third in command. Possesses a strong Cheat Skill.

Kumi - former manager of the basketball team. Serves as a leader in Ikko's absence. Calm and enjoys tactical planning. Strange quirk of singing anime songs to herself. Possesses [Studious Advance].

Miyu - former trainee for an idol group. Possesses [Studious Advance].

Water Filter Girl - a water filtering device that can imbue fluids with mild healing properties.

Kengo - another ikemen who became injured during the monster attack. Possesses [Thespian Bureaucracy].

Yui - Ayame's friend. Possesses a skill that has to do with shapeshifting.

[collapse]

 

Caves were found in the rock formation.

There was some debate whether to relocate our camp or stay by the stream. Our camp was in an open area, and had already been attacked once -- these were both arguments against it. Nonetheless...it was something we were used to, and it was close to sources of food and of water. The caves, on the other hand, could offer us protection from the elements as well as a hiding place from predators. But we knew little about it.

Sleeping under the night sky would be scary on earth. Here, even when we nestle ourselves together, and hide between the roots of giant trees, we feel unsafe and exposed.

But on the following day, a spring was found in the cave itself. In contrast to the stream water, which we used a Water Filtration for, the spring water was completely clear. And this decided the best course of action...or seemed to, at least...

I say 'seemed to' as every decision we make seems to anger Takashi's dissenting group. Offended by our boldness, they did not hold back in reproaching us. But what can we do? It is not as though we've formally excluded them from joining in. We are only trying to do the best we can. Is it our fault that they become resentful over a perceived slight, that they no longer talk to us, that they have cut themselves off almost entirely?

And, when they number under a dozen out of the majority? If one can speak candidly, there is something mildly repulsive about their group. Not a single one of their members is a girl. All of them either otaku or Non-Entity boys. Perhaps they see themselves as outsiders. Perhaps they take righteousness in the fact that they are the less powerful group, the more abnormal and different. It may be true that they are abnormal. At the same time, it cannot be denied that their group is less diverse than ours, that all of them are boys of the same sects in our class -- all abnormal in the same way, all the same in their difference to us. And, really, almost interchangeable in the general impression they give. Indeed, I often confuse one with the other.

So why should we not proceed, as guiltlessly as we can, trying to survive and improve our situation? And, anyways, it is not as though we've closed our doors on them.

For now they've gone along with our relocation. But whenever we catch sight of some of their members, separated from the group, an unmistakable aura of sneakiness, even criminality seems to surround them. Looking at them, one wants instinctively to wrinkle one's nose. They seem always to be plotting something, even when they are only walking along the edge of the campground. One can't exactly trust them, though they are always welcome to join in our discussions.

 

Since the tumult and confrontation after Ikko's injury, there has been a silent peace between Takashi's group and our own. But this has been a peace like the Cold War's peace -- we are Wary.

Granted, they number fewer than us...yet all of their members seem strangely motivated under Takashi's leadership. I do not want to use the word 'fanaticism'...but there is something unsettling about their single-mindedness. While the majority of our people (like Yui, for instance) are gentle students, uninterested in levels, desirous most of all for peace and for getting to civilization, Takashi's group are driven everyday in the forest to train, to "equalize the level difference" as they say. What is it (we wonder) that drives them? resentment, lust -- lust unarbitrated by any female presence,-- or perhaps a kind of otaku ambition, ambition for levels, for a kind of "rank" according to their warped ideas of value?

Everyone is a little scared of them. No one knows for sure what their Cheat Skills are. No one knows what they do all day. No one knows what they're thinking.

Recently, Chiho and I have been going between the girls of the class, cautioning them not to wander off alone -- even, and especially, when they have to go to the washrooms. We relocated the girl's washroom in a safe nook inside the cave itself. Takashi's group, after all, only consist of boys. And though the shock of new surroundings might have temporarily suspended their libido, as they grow more and more familiar with the things around them their lost libido will not only return in force, but they will feel comfortable taking more and more liberties as well.

Among a handful of trusted members, Kumi has begun circulating the idea of preemptive subjugation.

It is true (she says) that a victim will pursue their vengeance with more single-mindedness, drive, and courage...but they will have to be a victim first, and suffer whatever loss they had to suffer to gain a thirst for vengeance. However, when one knows that injury eventually will come, that one will need to take revenge almost certainly in the future, that that future is as good as guaranteed...then why not take revenge in advance, preemptively? Why not strike first, and revenge, if not yourself, then perhaps the alternate-timeline of yourself? What one loses in motivation, passion, and moral righteousness from not falling victim, victim in this timelines, one more than regains in what one saves, be that a girl's honor, or critical injuries, or something worse...

"We would only have to remove Takashi... Without a head, the rest of his party will lose focus and reintegrate our majority. The execution would be straightforward, so long as the element of surprise is on our side." (Kumi, her glasses flashing in the campfire) "Takashi may seem untouchable in his Cheat Skill...but his Cheat Skill only applies to his attack. Catch him by surprise, and he's only as strong as his stats, which, as we've seen, are not additive."

(By her last line, she means that a person with double the strength of another does not have double their power. So two people, each with half the strength of one, will be more effective than that one.)

 

* * * * *

 

Though the caves seemed rather cold and uninviting at first, our class has done a lot to make it feel habitable.

Layers of lichen, stripped from the surrounding forest, have been piled onto the ground to make a carpet. Several of the inner chambers, ranging in size between a small bedroom and a high-school classroom, have been fully furnished in this manner. The only thing we lack is a method of lighting the interior.

The man-sized leaves we gathered are being sewn together with stringy plant matter and stuffed with the "fluffiest" species of moss. Yui has taken charge of a battalion dedicated to making bedding in this fashion.

A couple of small to mid-sized boulders have been arranged around the opening of the cave and bedecked with layers of this "carpeting" so as to form a kind of patio or outdoor living room.

One of the boys possessed what had previously been considered a set of pretty "useless" Cheat Skills -- one which helped him cook monsters, and another that gave him the ability to eat things without becoming sick. Now, he is held on par with Kumi as a Being of Highest Esteem. His former skill has improved our way of life considerably, and along with it, our courage for the future.

The ability [Foodsmith: Monsters] allows him to cook monsters. Its primary importance resides in being the only skill among our class that can generate a fire. Its secondary importance (though to a growing number in our group -- the primary) lies in its ability to turn the Caterpillar remains we bring back into delicious meals.

Lately, in the evenings, we have taken to sitting around the campfire and eating the monster meat.

 

"Ahhh," (Yui, a contented expression on her face) "The way it glides through the palate...the way the aftertaste is somehow savory and refreshing at once..."

"It's quite a step up from the fruits. I concur." (Me)

"Waa, Ayame!" (Yui)

"What?" (Me)

"Ayame! You can let yourself go now! Don't you get it? There's no point to life anymore!" (Yui, with a gentle happy expression) "It's meaningless! All meaningless! Except for eating delicious Caterpillars. You know Ayame, I've begun feeling my mouth water even before he starts cooking them...even before they're skinned! just looking at the Caterpillar carcasses...wa, the repulsive Caterpillar carcasses... Even though they're hairy, slathered with gooey blood, they've started looking...beautiful to me."

"You can have the rest of mine if you really love it so much..." (Me)

"Are you sure? Are you really sure Ayame? Ayame..." (Yui)

"It's okay! You don't have to thank me!" (Me)

Yui sniffs a few times -- uniting emotion and smelling the meat in an efficient action -- and nods her head with resoluteness. As she eats, she channels all her pleasure into an expression of gratitude to me, which, between bites, she turns her head to me and displays, as though for my benefit.

"Yui... it feels like your butt has increased a magnitude or two in size." (Me)

"It must be because I'm eating too much. Do you think it's...too...big?" (Yui)

"No, not at all. It could be bigger." (Me)

 

5