CHAPTER 1 – Wira’s Guild (1)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guemwyn

 Guemwyn looked at the building in front oh her brown eyes, where a majestic structure stood. It was the first time she had seen a three-floor building. But unfortunately the two front doors were still tightly closed, so Guemwyn decided to sit in the front yard where there was a short stone fence for him to sit on.

While sitting she took out the wheat bread she got from the temple, she realized that her gesture was imitated by fellow aspiring wira’s around him.

"Fueh...there's sand in this bread" moaned a young man dressed in rags, Guemwyn remembered he was a fellow warrior (or what called ‘wira’) candidate who was given bread from the same temple.

"Maybe it's because the grinding stone has also been eroded a little," said her friend in response, "it's a cheap bread anyway, actualy we should be grateful that we were given it by priest."

"The bread is still delicious!" Guemwyn tried to join in on the conversation, but because there was no response she just continued to quietly chew her bread. she felt undisturbed even though her tongue also felt grains of sand. Maybe it's because it's my first time eating bread so I can't tell what's good and what's not, she thought.

Right after she finished breakfast suddenly the guild door opened from the inside, “Good morning  wira’s !May your steps be guided by the sun," greeted the well-dressed man who she thought was working as a guild employee.

"Good morning! Hail Maghary!” replied all person in front of the guild while standing, while Guemwyn just stared in confusion. Oh, that was a greeting it turns out, next time I have to reply to, Guemwyn is determined to adapt to new habits.

Now she stood up and cleaned her shirt of the remaining breadcrumbs, although the red knee-length brackets shirt was still dirty from the mud from yesterday's trip.

But seeing the reflection of her face in the puddle she chose to smooth her brown mane with her hands. "Yosh! it's tidy." Now she entered the door with a hammer on her shoulder.

And she was greeted with a sight of Ghuast!

Or actually a remain of it...

But really the bones were arranged in such a way with wooden poles and ropes to serve as ornaments that could even make Guemwyn's fear it.

"Woah... so this is what is called a ghuast"

His brown eyes were still looking around in awe, and she was even more amazed to see the preserved head of a monster adorning the wall. The most frightening she thought was the head of the horned bear ghuast.

"No kid, ghuast won't just stand still when you look at him," someone snapped Guemwyn out of her thoughts, "but they'll chase you once you're in their range," said the person who was apparently sweeping.

“I-I can tell the difference between living and dead monsters,” replied Guemwyn.

"Very well, I suggest you buy footwear before going to Nar'rud, there are many thorny bushes there." The sweeper left while looking down.

“Oh…” Guemwyn was speechless when she realized the sweeper was teasing him who was barefoot and left a trail of mud on the floor. But she didn't want to think about it any further and rushed to join the queue at the registration counter.

Now she is in the back row and watching the other participants. Their skin was the tan, mark of a person who worked a lot in the sun, in stark contrast to Guemwyn who had rather pale skin. But just like her, they brought their own hunting equipment, be it bows, spears or simple clubs.

Guemwyn had heard that only capable people could possess bronze weapons so it was only natural that they didn't have one.

"But if I become the best ghuast hunter, I'll definitely buy a bronze weapon!," said Guemwyn full of optimism, people around just looked at him strangely because she shouted to himself.

Time passed and now Guemwyn was in the second row, from here she could see a well-dressed woman sitting behind a desk and seemed to be writing quickly. So that's the receptionist, Guemwyn remembers the woman's profession name.

"Next"

“Guemwyn here!” replied the owner of the name.

"So that's your name, huh," the receptionist nodded and dipped the tip of her writing instrument with ink in small clay bowl, "could you repeat the pronunciation, please."

“GU-EM-WIN,” she replied firmly.

"Is this correct?" the woman now showed the papyrus she had written in front of Guemwyn's face, she squinted and looked at the ink strokes that were written.

"That's true," Guemwyn nodded even though she couldn't actually read what was written on the papyrus.

"Age?"

"14 years,"

 "Then you're old enough," the receptionist muttered, but then she looked at Guemwyn from head to toe, "you're not lying are you?"

"I know I'm short, but that's how old i am!" Guemwyn replied, and the receptionist only responded with a chuckle.

"Origin?"

"Um... a village in the east" she answered doubtfully, Guemwyn remembered that the route she took yesterday to this city was in the east.

"Could you be more specific, please?" the receptionist stopped writing and twirled the brush in her fingers while waiting for Guemwyn's answer.

"I'm from a village near Arang Barisan," she lyied, she knew the name of the place because some traveling companion said he came from there.

"Oh, that explains the color of your brown hair and eyes, typical of the savanna dweller," she joked as she drew ink with a brush. Guemwyn just played her brown bangs, wondering what the savanna has to do with the village near mountains.

"What kind of weapon do you carry?"

"Tara! A good hammer to crush monster skulls!” the would-be wira held out a wooden stick along the span of her hand with a black stone tied tightly at one end.

“A stone hammer about one point five meters long,” the receptionist dictated that Guemwyn could hear, but she couldn't understand what she was talking about.

 "Okay your data is done," the receptionist smiled and then handed over a block of wood with some carvings. "This is proof of your registration, please take good care of it until you return to this room, okay?"

"Wow! It's beautiful, can it be for me?" asked Guemwyn with sparkling eyes.

"No, you have to return this dice later. Just sit there and wait for further instructions, you made everyone behind you long waited” the receptionist shooed Guemwyn away gently.

"Okay, I promise to take care of  it until it comes back to you!" Guemwyn stepped barefoot towards the long bench that was beside the guild pillar.

With a small huming she sat down and wiggled her legs, Guemwyn reached into her pocket and looked back at the animal carving on the wooden block. "A dice," she corrected himself.

"New kid come over here!" called a guild employee, and now those who had registered began to move on to follow the instructions including Guemwyn. They all walked through the hall of the guild and now arrived at the grass field that was located behind.

"The ground is muddy." Guemwyn complained as she stepped on the ground that was not covered with grass as if it had just been dug, but she continued to follow the group until she crossed the field and stopped right in front of another building which, even though it was made of bricks, looked bleaker.

“Please line up there.” The guild officer pointed right in front of the gloomy building and Guemwyn just realized that the building had two floors and right in front of them were a pair of wide doors that made a strange sound.

On the second floor there is a balcony that is wide enough to lead right to the field. One by one figures emerged from behind the curtains covering the back of the balcony, they were dressed neatly and Guemwyn could smell their perfume from where she was standing. The most senior of them picked up a loudspeaker and began to speak.

“WELL ALL YOUNG MAN’S, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION IN HELPING THE  THE MAGHARY EMPIRE! MAY YOUR STEPS BE LEADED BY THE SUN!"

"Hail Maghary!" replied the assembled  wira’s , Guemwyn was now used to offering greetings.

“I! AS THE HEAD OF THE GUILD OF WIRA ARE HAPPY WITH THE ENTHUSIASM OF YOU ALL! BUT THE GOVERNMENT HAS GIVEN 'US' A NEW TREATMENT TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF VICTIMS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE" the man's speech stopped when, she raised her right hand as if to signal.

And the guild officers who were on either side of the line suddenly pulled the lever, then came out a wooden fence from the ground that trapped the participan’s . Some panicked but not a few also snorted with interest like Guemwyn.

“Wow, the barricade of wooden pegs-” Guemwyn commented before touching one end and injuring her own finger, “and quite sharp, too.” Guemwyn licked her injured index finger.

“THEN WE DECIDED TO ‘INTRODUCE’ YOU TO GHUAST SO YOU ATLEAST HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE MONSTER.” now the guild master gave the signal again, this time by lowering her hand quickly.

The guild employees who were outside the blockade pulled a rope. Then the double doors in front of them opened with a loud bang as if they had been forced to break them down. And the culprit was in front of them, staring back with her bloodshot eyes.

“Humph!” Guemwyn instinctively retreated backwards, while the monster in front of him began to scrape the ground with its left foot and aimed its shiny horn forward. The green fur it had made monster stranger, but the killing aura that monster gave off made no one dare to laugh.

“WE APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU TO AT LEAST GIVE IT A PAT, BEFORE YOU DESTROY IT.”

Panic hit the wira’s now scattered and tried to jump over the blockade of wooden pegs from between them, but...

"By the way, ANYONE WHO ESCAPES FROM THE BARRICADE WILL GET THROW OUT FROM OUR GUILD."

"Hah?!" The audience stopped their escape and looked up pitifully, but the guild head's smile grew wider. So the future  wira’s  now took a breath and calmed down, and they all took their weapons and prepared to fight.

"YES THAT'S RIGHT THING TO DO! DON'T ESCAPE AND FIGHT"

“NGIK!” the ghuast now feels her safety is threatened and with her hind legs now throws her green furry body at the participants, while her bloodthirsty instincts guide him to tear human flesh in sight.

“I suggest defeating them together!” the guild chief shouted without her toa but her screams couldn't reach everyone this time, and Guemwyn realized she was doing that on purpose.

"EXAMINATION... BEGIN!"

0