1 – That Girl named Clara
144 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the vast expanse of prairie, a group of grand magicians created numerous high towers that seemed like they pierced the sky. Elixirs, witchcraft, and all things related to magic are studied there.

Merchants who smelled the scent of business sprang up and so did people who seek an opportunity. Thus the Magic City of Zariya was established.

Ten grand mages as founders formed a council to rule the city. In addition, Magic Associations along with magic academies were also formed.

As stereotyped wizards, the grand magicians mostly focused on research and ignored the government. Therefore this city was also well known for its high crime rate.

Put that all aside for now.

On the dark side of this city, there stands a tiny house when compared to its neighbors. Living in this building is a petite figure just like her home alongside her beloved father.

The father is a doctor and a famous adventurer. Each month he must go on adventures for a few days to weeks for unknown reasons, probably adventurer business, leaving his sick daughter alone. He didn't want to, but what can he say, this is also for the sake of his beloved daughter.

The daughter is a smart person. Since she understands her father's dilemma, she assures him that she will be fine. Well, she will be a little lonely, though.

"Promise to come back soon, okay? Oh, don't forget to bring back souvenirs," said the daughter with a lovely smile.

She was born with a weak constitution. Even worse, she will die if exposed to the sun for long periods of time. She spent most of her life in a beautiful cage called home and perhaps will do so for the rest of her life as well.

One time, as usual, the father said goodbye to his dear daughter. However, this time there was no news of him after days to weeks of his departure. Although very concerned, the daughter was sure her father would return soon.

One week.

Two weeks.

One month.

Two months.

Time continued to flow, but there was still no word about her father's return. Bad thoughts that she had previously suppressed now flooded her mind. Despite her desire to believe her father will return, the cruel truth tells a different story. Starting from doubt leads to anxiety and finally, despair.

Moreover, she also ran out of medicine and so her condition deteriorated. Simply moving a finger made that girl exhausted. If the current situations continue, perhaps death will pick her up soon.

Days go forth.

In her desperation, the daughter sensed someone was entering her yard. She has no idea where that sensation came from or who it was. But this was enough to give her a glimpse of hope.

The daughter gathered the remaining strength in her body to move. She carefully opened the window and then looked at her courtyard.

There, in the midst of rain, stood a figure resembling a rabbit, but she subconsciously rejected that thought. That figure was standing casually ignoring the rain, or maybe it was the rain avoiding it?

Disappointment flooded her heart. Turns out it wasn't her father.

However, the disappointment was soon replaced by curiosity.

Who is that creature?

Her home defense system didn't react at all to its presence which was supposed to prevent unwanted guests.

The figure was running here and there, like a child playing with rain. She stared at it with questioning eyes as well as envious ones. She also wanted to play freely as she wished, just like it. That rabbit's actions made her feel as if it was mocking her. 

Suddenly, it stopped running around and glanced at her. Their eyes met each other.

She immediately moved away from the window after feeling caught peeking. However, curiosity came flooding back to her heart.

Take a breath. Let it out.

Take a breath. Let it out.

The girl finally dared to peek out again after taking a breath several times.

In spite of the rain, the mysterious creature stood still in its original place, quietly staring at her.

"Wh-who are you?" asked the girl.

No answer. Perhaps her voice was too low, so she asked the question one more time with more effort.

"Who are you?"

Still no answer. Raindrops may have blocked her voice from reaching it. On the third try, she maximized his lung capacity and asked,

"Who are you!"

Finally came a reply after so much effort. However, it's not the response to her question.

The girl heard a very clear voice as if ignoring all obstacles and it immediately reached her ears.

"Wanna play with me?"

****

A few months later.

On the way to the Border Town Denia, a carriage pulled by a pair of large black horses ran neither fast nor slow. Inside it was a crate full of rainbow sparkling stones.

The driver's seat was occupied by two figures. One of them is a stout middle-aged man with a thin mustache on his face. He had an appearance that looked like the perfect representation of a wicked merchant.

Sitting beside him is a little girl wearing a white robe. Clarina Amaryllis Pragdina, that is her name. She has pale skin with red freckles all over her body.

Their contrast creates a unique combination.

As they sat chatting, the city silhouette appeared in front of them.

"Ah, looks like we'll be there in a minute."

"Hm. We might be there by sunset," guessed the middle-aged man while scratching his chin. "Do I need to speed up, eh? I want to get there as soon as possible."

Clara—the girl's nickname—recalled her uncle's obsessive obsession with hygiene. Unable bathing for several days must have made him suffer.

"By the way, thank you for the ride, Uncle," said Clara as she lowered her tiny head.

"If you really want to thank me, how about you listen to my advice? No? Of course not. Stubborn just like your father, eh?"

Clara pretended to be deaf and stared ahead without any intention of responding any further.

She knew that her Uncle, who was his father's best friend, cared deeply for her, yet she couldn't listen to his request.

Clara intends to be an adventurer, which is extremely dangerous. Nevertheless, she had made up her mind

Uncle let out depth sigh after seeing her determination

A business trip that looked like it would be going well was ruined before he even got to the destination.

That was because of the discovery of a stowaway, Clara, with adventurer equipment and a giant backpack on her back midway.

Following a brief interrogation, he discovered that Clara had overheard the destination of his business trip and decided to hitch a ride.

Due to late discovery, she couldn't be repatriated right away. So Uncle decided to bring her with him.

"Say, Clara, why do you want to be an adventurer?"

"Hmm?" Clara tilted her head for a moment then replied, "Adventurers are really cool, aren't they? Just like mom and dad."

Uncle sighed once more after hearing her evasive answer.

"Sigh. I used to be an adventurer, you know? Then I took an arrow in the knee."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Putting danger aside, adventurers' prospects were extremely bleak. High risk low return. That's why people say being an adventurer is not a job, but a hobby.

Still, a lot of people joined the Adventurer Alliance every year. Each has different reasons for being an adventurer. Debt, fame, battle, and so on.

Uncle strongly opposes Clara's decision considering her age. Also, it would be much better for her to join the military exploration division if she only wanted to explore the world.

Regardless, this is Clara's life we are talking about. Uncle felt that he had no right to force his own will on her. So he will respect her decision.

Uncle looked at Clara who looked gorgeous and likely would break many man's hearts in the future, then muttered, "I hope you don't end up like your parents."

The city structure is now clearly visible. It wouldn't be long before they would reach their destination, the City of Heroes, Denia.

4