The Green Cradle 11 – Before the Gaze of a Tyrant
698 2 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sarcodilus.

This was the first thing that came into the changeling’s head when it saw the massive creature before it.

It was a reptilian beast species that roamed the waters of the region known as Noctus Lagoon. If the simian species known as Primatus ruled the dense jungles of Noctalum, then it was this beast that was king of its murky waters.

This was the information pulled out from within the changeling’s memory archives as soon as it stared face to face with the massive monster.

It had a crocodilian body, but instead of four legs, it had three pairs for a total of six legs. Large serrated scales lined its back and sides, and frill-like fins encircled its neck, but the most distinguishing thing about its features was the one large eye at the center of its head with four smaller eyes at the sides.

The beast continued to stare at the changeling as if it was studying it. Unlike what its fearsome appearance implied; the beast showed it was highly intelligent. When encountering new prey for the first time, a sarcodilus would never immediately attack and would choose to watch closely if the prey showed it possessed any kind of threat.

The changeling knew about the existence of the sarcodilus and was actually one of the predatory species that it was interested in assimilating, but the one before it was slightly different from the general information it possessed of them. For one, it knew a hardened lump existed on the forefront of their heads and were at least twice as long as wargscales. They also normally had grey colored scales.

However, instead of a lump, a gigantic reptilian eye was instead in its place staring at the changeling. Another thing it noticed, was that this specimen was far larger than the sarcodilus it knew from the memory records; almost three times larger and approaching the size of the greater armatect it had previously fought. It also had a deep dark-blue coloration instead of grey.

At first, it wondered about the reliability of the information, but then there was another memory file that was invoked and took its place.

After looking through the new information, the changeling now understood and quickly made a decision just as the beast reared its head.

The changeling quickly jumped to the side while holding onto the little green ball, and not a moment too soon, the ground where it used to stand was instantly carved up.

Soil and dirt appeared at the tip of the sarcodilus’ maw just as a massive splash was heard from the shoreline where it continued to lay. The creature moved so fast that in the blink of an eye, the ground was torn up before anyone noticed and yet the beast still remained where it stood.

This was absurd. How could anything expect that a creature of its massive size possessed incredible agility. The changeling should have expected this by now, but it started to seem like the wolf siblings’ abilities weren’t so special after all.

The wolf siblings appeared by the changeling’s side as soon as it landed and were prepared to fight, but it stopped them before they could move on to attack.

This was a fight it had to back out for now. From the information it had quickly gleaned, the beast before them was no ordinary sarcodilus.

Among the denizens of this land known as Prismordia, there were unique beings that had undergone a special change or mutation that made them differ from their kin. They either remained with their own kind and acted as a sort of alpha or protector, or led solitary lives.

However, for sure there was one thing that they all had in common… and that was they were all powerful beyond measure.

They possessed unique strengths and had abilities that no others of their kind could display. These beings lorded over their own and trampled the creatures they faced, as their nature is to embody the very rules of survival.

These special monsters were known as Tyrants.

ROAAAAAAR

The sarcodilus before the changeling was one such Tyrant. From the memory fragment it possessed, the Guild of the humans provided a name for such creatures and attached to them an appropriate moniker. There was only one such creature in the waters of the Noctus Lagoon.

Gultrave, the Gazing Maw.

Knowing they were facing such a fearsome creature in its home ground; it wasn’t the right time to fight it. Currently possessing no genetic samples of aquatic creatures, the changeling knew it was at a complete disadvantage.

Therefore, the only choice was to avoid a direct confrontation if it didn’t want any casualties. The changeling was decisive and signaled the wolf twins to go ahead and keep as far from the shore. Just as they left, it grabbed the little green mass on its head and tossed it towards the twins. The little fae flailed in the air, but was caught by the white twin before they continued to run.

Gultrave didn’t miss this, but continued to watch the changeling. Tyrants were sensitive to unique beings like themselves and seeing the changeling control the two unique wolves, which were of a different species made it understand that there was something different with this creature.

It already managed to avoid its ambush from the shore, but it had another card to play.

The changeling understood that while Gultrave is powerful, it wouldn’t leave the water to expose itself to potential danger. Not unless it knew what it was up against.

Wary of what Gultrave would do, the changeling continued to keep its distance while slowly moving back. Suddenly, it could feel the temperature rising and could see the air around Gultrave’s large eye start to warp.

Realizing what it was planning to do, the changeling thought to avoid it, but realized it didn’t know the scope and range of the attack. Running out of time, it remembered the one thing it possessed that it could rely on to block any form of attack. In a motion of bringing its arms together, a massive domed scale started to form around its forearm. Once the scale had completely formed, it made itself as scarce as it could to cover itself entirely.

As soon as the energy peaked, a scarlet ring of light manifested within Gultrave’s monstrous eye. A fiery beam of white-hot energy burst forth from the eye, vaporizing everything in its path.

Faster than the eye could blink, the beam was upon the changeling. It braced for the impact, but the sheer force of the energy alone made it feel like its arms were about to be torn off. Growing two more arms to further enforce the shield, the changeling held on.

The problem now was the heat given off by the energy.

Slowly, the scale it used as a shield grew hotter while the superheated air around it burned its lungs. The changeling shut off its breathing for the moment, but the flesh on its arms continued to melt away.

It was in a dangerous predicament, but it knew the energy wouldn’t last too long. Just like the greater armatect’s projectile calculi, it just wasn’t possible for the energy to be infinite. The problem was whether it could hold until it ran out.

Its question was soon answered when the force pushing against the scale died out. Finding respite, the changeling took a deep breath and observed its surroundings.

All around it, earth and stone became molten while there wasn’t even ash left of the vegetation. Looking at itself and the scale shield, smoke and steam continued to rise as the temperature still hadn’t gone down.

It was honestly surprised that an entity was capable of such an attack. It could never imagine what type of biological mechanisms it possessed to be able to generate such energy.

The changeling drooled over the possible new mutations it could accomplish, but was soon broken out if its thoughts by another roar.

It went around the scale and saw that Gultrave was staring at it while snarling and slowly moving back into the river. Perhaps it thought against facing the changeling on land since it was able to withstand its attack, so Gultrave appeared to have retreated.

While that was how it seemed, the changeling wasn’t fooled. A short distance away in the river, while appearing like a “log”, Gultrave was laying in wait. The changeling understood its predatory thoughts and knew it was probably waiting for a chance to drag it into the water for a complete advantage.

Shaking its head, the changeling will have to bear with it for now. Until it has a means to face the Tyrant in the water, it didn’t feel like there was a way for it to win.

The changeling then looked towards the scale it used as a shield. Despite the heat and smoke emanating from it, the scale actually remained unscathed. This was actually one of the scales of the great being it had once encountered.

Far above even the Tyrants, the changeling had come to know them as Dragons.

They were among the peak of existences within this world. The sheer weight of its presence still far outweighed that of even Gultrave’s, and no other being had come close. It simply existed on an entirely different level.

So vast and complex was its biological information, that it transcended what the changeling could process at the time. It was only recently after it had acquired a gene anchor that the changeling was able to replicate even a single scale from the scraps it had consumed before.

Which begs into question what that black entity was thinking.

While it was being consumed, its residual thoughts and desires were momentarily transmitted to the changeling. At some point in its existence, it had come to know of the existence of the peak beings of this world and actually believed it could subdue them easily with its otherworldly toxins.

After consuming the scales of a dragon and having consumed the black entity itself, the changeling was sure that it didn’t even have the fraction of a chance at winning and honestly thought it was deluded.

Learning of the dragon’s biology, not even an amplified version of the toxin that the changeling could now recreate would be effective. Perhaps it thought to grow its existence by consuming others in the same way the changeling is currently doing, but even then, it would take an unimaginable amount of time based on the dragon’s level of power that the changeling was able to identify.

Either that entity was incredibly patient or just simply too full of itself, the changeling couldn’t say.

Placing its palm on the scale, it reabsorbed it back into itself. It then looked towards the “log” in the distance and let out a snort.

One day, it’ll come to regret trying to hunt down the changeling. It would show that Tyrant who is the true predator and who is truly prey.

***

Only one more chapter left from the stockpile, but I can't be sure when I can post it. It still needs some editing and it took me this long to post this one due to still having no proper net. I'll take whatever chance I can get though, just like today where I got to use a mall's free wifi. On the bright side, it means I can stockpile more chaps.

35