Two Brats and the Sinful Marquis
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aster returned from the garden gleefully, while Tuskan busily checked whether his cat was bruised or not. He had a meeting with Floren at nine, and it was still six. Thus, Aster decided to roam around the velvet castle. 

The castle was indeed really beautiful, it was well maintained, marble flooring, chandeliers and velvet carpet in every corridor. Some servants busily tidied everything every day. Aster looked outside and saw the gardeners trimming the grass and shaped the bushes into beautiful shapes. 

It was indeed beautiful, but anything beautiful came at a cost. This level of high maintenance was similar to his Lantern Palace in Dionde City. It was really expensive unless you had control over your budget. This castle might be one of the reasons why Floren was in deep financial trouble. 

Aster paced around the corridor until he saw a door was opened. He knew it was rude to peek, but the castle was really big with many closed rooms. Curiosity got into him and Aster peeked inside. 

‘Floren?’ Aster saw Floren in a plain tunic, barefoot, kneeled in front of a religious statue with his hand cupped. He closed his eyes while reciting something inaudible. Aster accidentally pushed the door open and the door creaked slightly.

He was panicked because Floren might discover him, but turned out, he was deep in his prayer that he didn’t budge when he heard the door opened.

Aster was stunned with how serene Floren looked. He prayed like a holy priest. Aster approached him slowly and tiptoed so he didn’t make noise. This was the first time he observed Floren’s facial feature, dark-as-night hair, deep dark eyebrows, and well-groomed facial hair. He was undoubtedly handsome, charmingly handsome. 

But when Aster saw the crease between his eyebrows, he saw a very wise and mature man, even though he was only three years older than him.

‘And there is… sadness?’ Aster was baffled at his thought. How could he saw a deep sadness in Floren’s face? This is Floren, that debauched marquis!

Usually, everyone saw Floren with that permanent grin plastered on his face, flashy, vermillion red garment with ridiculous style, flirting with every girl he met. Sometimes, he even flashed his body to the crowd, it was rumored that Floren hosted lascivious sex party in Velvet castle every night, partying while everyone was able to mingle with each other freely.

However, Aster didn’t find any trace of debauchery in this castle. It was well maintained and luxurious, he didn’t know whether it was because he and Tuskan were here, that Floren halted all the party so he would look proper in front of them.

But seeing Floren with this plain white tunic, for a moment, Aster doubted this was the same Floren whom he met in parties. 

‘Why is he praying? I heard he didn’t believe in god. But this Floren…’

Aster wanted to leave Floren alone because it was already inappropriate to watch someone’s private life. But he was astonished when he saw Floren trembled suddenly and he started crying. 

He sobbed while saying the same thing over and over, “Please punish me for my sin. Please punish me for my sin. Please punish me for my sin.”

This was the first time Aster saw someone who looked so pained in his prayer, it was like a priest who did a terrible deed and begged for forgiveness until he cried to the ground. 

Aster felt that his heart starting to get painful as his breath got heavier. He never expected Floren’s prayer to be so powerful that it made him cried out of sympathy.

 “God, if you cannot forgive my sin, please take me, turn me into dust. Because I would rather disappear than to leave you further.” 

 “My God, if my sin is too much, please open that person’s heart. The one that my family hurt before. Please let him know, that I begged for his forgiveness.”

Aster didn’t know who this person he talked about. It might be something in the past since he was never affiliated with Floren, he didn’t know much about his story.

But there was a deep sadness in his sentences. A deep grieving Aster himself couldn’t fathom. He wiped his tears and subconsciously walked towards Floren who still kneeled in front of the altar.

Aster didn’t know why, but he had the urge to comfort this man. He wanted to hug him, telling him that he was forgiven already since his deep prayer was absolutely sincere. But Aster was no god, he didn’t even pray. 

Aster’s hand-stretched, about to touch Floren’s hair but he hesitated.

‘No, it is not my right to disturb him now.’

‘But…’

Aster retracted his hand and watched Floren from behind. He crouched and leaned his face towards Floren’s ear and whispered, ‘You are forgiven.’

Aster smiled as he left Floren who was still in trance. 

***

Aster and Tuskan met Floren formally after breakfast. He was already in his proper attire and acted like a proper gentleman in front of them. 

This made Aster felt that the entire stuff happened in that small chapel was his hallucination. Floren led him and Tuskan to the office again, Aster glanced at Tuskan and it was strange since this guy would usually stir up some trouble.

But now, he was exceptionally silent and collected.

Aster had a hunch that Tuskan had a burden in his heart, which was weird because he looked happy when they ran around in that garden. 

They entered the office and Aster immediately saw piles of letters stacked up together on the table. But there was one special letter that was separated from the rest and Aster knew immediately who the sender was. 

‘Mother?!’

That letter with his mother’s wax stamp. Aster was unsure what it was about. 

“Sir Floren, what are these letters?” Aster asked. 

Floren chuckled lightheartedly and replied, “This was all the letters I got from the women around my castle. I will host a party tonight in my chamber.”

Floren grinned and winked at both Aster and Tuskan, “Do Sir Aster and Sir Tuskan interested to join in? The party will be fun.”

Aster and Tuskan shook their heads together. They already knew what the party would be and who would attend it. 

However, Aster was exceptionally concerned with that private letter from his mother. If she was one of the guests at Floren’s party, then…

Floren seemed to know what was in Aster’s mind. He chuckled and said, “Well, I will open the letter from Grand Duchess Camellia first.”

He opened the letter, then frowned slightly before clicked his tongue, “She won’t be coming again.” 

Floren gave the letter to Aster.

Dear Florentino Viete, 

With deep regret, I, Grand Duchess Camille, rejected the invitation of the event in Velvet Castle. I do not take part in any unnecessary event. With utmost respect, be mindful and stop sending me invitations.

I also put great importance to my son, Aster di Arlingdon, who is in your castle by the time this letter arrives. Please do not invite him to your party, it is unbefitting of him and immoral. 

 

Camille di Arlingdon

Grand Duchess of Stormhill

           

Aster took a deep relieved breath. He was really scared that his mother took part in Floren’s debauched party, but she rejected it instead.

 “Grand Duchess Camille always reject my invitation,” Tuskan scoffed, “Well, Sir Aster, that means you are also unavailable for the party, I suppose?”

“I will not join your party,” Aster said undoubtedly. 

“Sir Tuskan?”

“No, I’m only here to visit,” Tuskan said.

“It is unfortunate, indeed,” Floren said as he smiled mysteriously.

After that, Aster and Tuskan observed all Floren’s work for the day as they noticed that Floren always checked his house’s business reports and only sighed and then signed it. It baffled both Aster and Tuskan, as it was almost impossible for the head of the house, a marquis, to be ignorant to the point that he didn’t even weigh the benefit and disadvantage of his businesses. 

However, Aster himself was only tasked to be an observer, thus he kept silent while staring at Floren who looked so different than that one he saw in the small chapel. 

‘What is wrong with is this guy?’

***

“Jain, I’m going to check his party, watch over me,” Aster said.

“Young Lord, do you want to join his party?” Jain asked hesitantly.

“No, I want to see, something is bugging me.”

“Understood, Young Lord.” 

It was already midnight, Aster stood outside the chamber because the chamber door was slightly opened. There was no one guarded the door, but Aster saw their weapon laying around, which probably meant the guards also joined the party.

He peeked inside.

The chandeliers with various colored candles, barrels of wine, and perfume that made Aster light-headed. In that chamber, man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, all joined together in without any string of clothing in their body, indulging in carnal pleasure. 

Aster never saw this kind of insanity in his life and he almost screamed, but before he could make any noise, he felt a hand covered his mouth. He struggled, but the person behind him was stronger, “Ssshh! It’s me, Tuskan.”

Aster turned his back and saw Tuskan who looked anxious, “What are you doing here?”

“Mmpp!” 

“Oh, my bad,” Tuskan forgot that he clasped his hand on Aster’s mouth. 

“You scared me,” Aster glared, he saw Tuskan was still fully dressed and was relieved, “W—Well, I was just… worried about Floren.” 

“I think we have the same prediction here. Floren feels different,” Tuskan claimed, “If you haven’t noticed, go and see his eyes now.”

Tuskan pointed at Floren who was in the center of the party, surrounded by three women, “Don’t look at other things, just look at his face,” Tuskan instructed.                                                       

Under the bright chandelier, Aster observed Floren’s face. In that carnal cage, Floren should have been delighted, blissful, and thrilled.

But there was only sadness and fear in his face. He didn’t even try to hide it.

There was deep grieving in his face. As if, he wasn’t meant to be there.

‘That person inside the chamber is the same Floren I saw before.’ 

1