Discord and Doubt
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The spy rushed as fast as he could to report about the gardenia kiss between Young Lord Aster and Young King Tuskan to Grand Duchess. When he reached Grand Duchess, he saw Grand Duchess with satisfied expression, meant that his body was safe from another torture.

         “Reporting to Her Majesty Grand Duchess, Young Lord and Great Arctyr’s King kissed this morning in Velvet Castle.”

         “Oh? My son kissed that young king from Great Arctyr?” Grand Duchess raised her eyebrows, she smiled out of amusement.

         The spy nodded slowly, “Yes, Milady. Young Lord put the flower in Tuskan’s lips and kissed it.”

         “And, what is the reaction of that young king?” Grand Duchess asked, the smile on her face grew wider.

         “He was flushed red and ran away immediately, he even left the castle not long after.”

         “Ahahahaha, as expected, he must’ve been bewildered by my son!” Grand Duchess smiled brightly. Everything had been set perfectly.

         “Milady, this subordinate wonders if you set this up?”

         “About what? Aster and that young king?” Grand Duchess chuckled, “All I do is to direct Florentino Viete to invite them both and show his party to them. So, they have something to bond, probably because of a traumatizing view, right?”

         The spy nodded. He already understood how smart Grand Duchess was. But he didn’t know what was her intention to bond her beloved son to this young king whose country was in turmoil.

         “You are wondering about my plan, it is all over your face,” Grand Duchess said.

         “This subordinate is unable to hide his curiosity, begging Grand Duchess to forgive this subordinate,” the spy said while kneeling deeper.

         “Well, I’m in a good mood. So, I will tell you something,” Grand Duchess looked down on her tea, the spoon reflected her eyes that turned golden slightly, “Great Arctyr is originally mine, naturally, it is also my son’s right.”

         The maids and the spy were shocked by Grand Duchess’ statement. But they knew that they couldn’t ask more.

         “Well, you can leave now, I have something fun happening soon here,” Grand Duchess chuckled lightly and ordered her maid, “Bring that filthy slave here, I will show him what is pain.”

***

         Aster already finished packing all his belongings before he met with Floren. Tuskan hurriedly left the castle after Aster kissed him in the castle garden.  Aster was still befuddled with his behavior, because Tuskan became hostile so suddenly.

         ‘Did I offend him in some way?’

         ‘Hm… maybe he hated to be kissed by a man, Great Arctyr doesn’t have similar custom anyway.’

         Aster sighed. He thought he and Tuskan could finally build a good friendship, maybe even trade later on. Because Aster had a hunch that Tuskan would win the war in his country, when he saw the determination in his eyes, Aster knew that this man was not a joke.

         ‘Although his social skill is still zero.’

         Aster chuckled and headed to Floren’s office. The man was sitting silently, his face was pale, probably from the party last night. Aster sighed, he knew Floren was in trouble, but it was not his right to interfere. Aster knocked the door that was opened and said:

         “Sir Floren, I shall leave the castle now. My work here is to observe you and report it to my mother, whether it is good news or not for her, I cannot guarantee the result.”

         Floren turned his head and stood from the seat, he approached Aster and said, “It is my honor for Sir Aster to visit my castle.”

         Floren looked around his office, his eyes were like eagle eyes, searching in every corner and on the window. After he felt safe, his smile bloomed and he shook Aster’s left hand.

         Aster felt something was in between their handshake. He stared at Floren, Floren nodded slightly, then said, “Please visit this castle again, Young Lord.”

         Aster nodded and said, “I will.”

         Flored escorted Aster until the gate. Aster went to his carriage and his carriage started moving. He took the last glance of Floren from the window, that man… he looked relieved.

         Aster braced himself and unfolded the paper that had been in his hand since their handshake. There was a message that made Aster frowned, and made him uneasy at the same time.  

         -Don’t trust Grand Duchess. -

         ‘Mother?’

         Aster gulped. He was uneasy with this short message. He already knew that Floren was not himself right now. He probably wasn’t himself for years, looking at his prayer, it might’ve been years of torment for him.

         But if that source of torment was his own mother. Aster wasn’t sure what to do.

         'No, my mother wouldn’t do a terrible thing like that. If my guess is correct, this person controls the whole House of Viete, including Floren and its people. To have enormous power and abuse it, my mother is not that kind of person.’

         ‘But… Why would Floren send this message if it’s not a warning…’

         ‘Does he really trust me? Does he expect me to turn my back on my own mother?’

         Aster was full of doubts right now. He wasn’t sure which one to trust. Naturally, he should trust his mother, no question. But when he saw Floren’s prayer, it was so heart wrenching because there was a strong feeling in it.

         ‘A strong, undeniable feeling…’

         Aster then reminded of the time when he was locked in Golden Palace, he hugged both Merse and his mother. Strangely, he could feel the warmth of a human in Merse, but he couldn’t feel it in his own mother.

         ‘No, everything was just feelings and guesses, I shouldn’t frame my mother based on a strange feeling.’

         ‘I will… reconsider this.’

         Aster kept Floren’s note in his book and sat through the journey with lingering doubt in his heart.

***

         He arrived at Lantern Palace in the evening, the sun was setting slowly as the gate opened for him. He saw the guards saluting his carriage. He also saw plenty of new guards in training, with Irion as the trainer. Aster widened his eyes, he was afraid that people would know about Irion’s identity as his guard medal subordinate.

         “Jain, what is Irion doing here?” Aster asked anxiously.

         “He is training the new guards, Young Lord,” Jain observed his master’s anxious expression and smiled, “Young Lord, he was invited by the duchy as a real guard instructor. Nobody knows his real identity.”

         Jain put a pressure in his last words, so his master would relax.

         “I see, that is good then…”

         Aster was relieved, but his relief wasn’t long lasting when he saw a man lined up with other guards-in-training. He was shirtless, his body was the tallest out of everyone, he was also very muscular with that glistening bronze skin shaded by the sunset, his face was rigid, very different from what Aster usually saw. His servant was usually very gentle and meek in front of him.

         Aster immediately knew who that was. He tapped Jain’s shoulder and asked, “W—Why is he there?!”

         Jain realized what was the focus of his master, he nodded and replied, “Young Lord needs a more capable servant, your personal slave volunteers himself to be guard-in-training, so he could protect you…”

         “Stop the carriage now!” Aster ordered. He opened the door hastily and rushed to Ramuja who was still training.

         “Ramuja!” Aster called him. Everyone looked to the source of the voice and everyone kneeled immediately, including Ramuja.

         Aster held Ramuja’s hand who was covered with dirt, he didn’t care, because he was worried that his servant might get hurt from the training, “Y—You shouldn’t do this! The guard’s training is very harsh, you are safe under my name!”

         Ramuja could feel the soft hand of his master, he could feel his heart wavered again. But he steeled his heart and looked up to his master.

         ‘His perfect face, soft hand, mesmerizing eyes, all of it only for me…’

         ‘Unfortunately, only in my imagination…’

         Ramuja looked up at his master, his expression was nonchalant with a trace of bitterness, he said, “Did Young Lord have fun with that Young King in Velvet Castle?”

1