Chapter 11 – Silence
2.7k 6 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Again something creaked, and she turned around, nothing and the only footprints in the snow here were hers, but they vanished quickly under the continuing snowfall. She still trembled in fright at the prospect of something being there. 

"Hello?", she said hesitatingly and shivered when nothing responded only silence, creepy silence, not a single bird, no rustling of the leaves in her surroundings only silence as if there was a giant predator lying in wait, it was simply not natural. 

The world outside my hospital room was always noisy, even inside there has been constant noise, how can there be none right now?

Gathering her Chakra in her hand and gripping the Kunai she waited, not moving. "Anybody there?", she asked again, using her ears in hope of hearing anything.
Still nothing, only silence. The deeper she walked into the village, the heavier the silence grew. The burned down ruins started to vanish under the white covers of snow and only formed little hard to see spots in it. More than once she fell over something. Despite her attempts to find anything that had survived the fire, there was nothing, only corpses that made her sick from the smell and the sight. Nothing she determined could smell quite like burned human flesh and this was something she would never forget. 

Something has to have survived this fire.

Refusing to give up, she forced her slowly waning chakra to keep herself afloat and stumbled further. The only things she did know by now was that the ones who did that seemed already gone. Here was nothing left to destroy.
Her body aching, she crawled under the last remains of what once must have been a roof. The night approached and the sun was starting to set at the horizon as the surrounding temperature was dropping to dangerous levels. It made no sense to continue on for today.

Better to curl together and wait for tomorrow to come, as long as I don't fall asleep it's fine. Afterwards I need to find a street that leads to another place, I cannot stay here there is nothing to eat. 

Looking at the setting sun while hugging her legs and suppressing the increasing coldness, she suddenly wanted to cry. "NO!", she screamed  as the first tear run down her cheek, it wouldn't solve anything, "You won't cry, you go on, step by step, by step, as long as you continue going on nothing is impossible."

Next to her, she heard a sound, and she stood up. 

THIS is not an Imagination.

She narrowed her eyes to see better in the dwindling remains of daylight and saw a black shadow coming closer, stumbling, swaying. "Hello!", she shouted and stepped forward as the shadow hit slowly fell to the ground. She flinched and looked to towards where the shadow was. 

Should I go look or not? It could be a survivor.

She stepped forward hesitating, once she stepped outside she didn't know how far away it was and if she found the way back. Shaking her head she started circling her Chakra again, she hadn't recovered much, but it was enough to walk a bit, she just needed to hold on and what Chakra couldn't do determination could. 
The wind was strong enough to almost blow her away, but gritting her teeth and refusing to give up, she continued. As she closely came slower she discovered it hadn't been an illusion and fell on her knees seeing a young black black haired boy in torn Shinobi clothing, painfully pale and with blue lips. 

Closing her eyes she touched his neck searching a pulse, almost screaming in happiness as she felt something, it was faint, but there was a beating pulse. She grabbed the boy's arm and tried pulling him along, but faltering and falling back into the now high snow.

Damn it!

She looked at her slowly turning blue hand and took out the Kunai from her pocked and started to undress, first her coat and then the first shirt. Throwing the shirt into the snow, she put the coat back on. She lifted the heavier and bigger boy, turning him around, so he was lying on the shirt, and pulling the long sleeves under his arms together and knotting them together. Having a bigger leverage, she managed to pull him along. It was so dark she almost couldn't see anything, but she remembered that she just had to head straight ahead. The Chakra in her body was getting less and less, and she could feel the cold biting at her. 
It would be easier to simply leave the boy behind. The thought alone made her sick. So many had died here, she wouldn't be responsible for another one if she could help it. 

The torn roof appeared, and she almost collapsed as she pulled the last two steps without any Chakra to support herself with. Letting herself fall on the ground, she looked at the boy with blurred sight, his feet were still outside. Scraping together the little Chakra she had. she exhausted herself and in a last pull managed to drag him completely under her shelter. 

She looked at him and checked his pulse again, still there, even if it had become even weaker than before, and he was stone-cold. "You can't die.", she told him and started to undress him, he needed to get out of the wet clothes.

"You can't die, you've held on this long, you can't die." As he was only in his underwear, she opened her coat and did the same. Half naked, she covered him in her body and pulled the clothes she discharged over them. "Don't you dare, dying. Don't you dare make me warm you up for nothing, after all you are clearly better fed and trained if I am interpreting this six-pack I'm feeling correctly." He was so cold that she had to force herself to remain still and not jump away. 

 

104