Chapter 14 – Shisui – Raising smoke
2.9k 4 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shisui had no answer for the helpless girl in his arms, because she was right.

For heading to Konoha, before doing anything or being able to go somewhere, they needed food. He lost his storage scroll during the attack, along with his comrades. They had spit up using a similar tactic his Uncle's team used. Not knowing where the others were, he worried. He just hoped they were still alive. If the enemy hunted them like him, they were death. Although he refused to think like that before knowing for certain. 

The girl, Gene, he corrected himself, was an epitome of calm.

 Too calm. 

Like a storm waiting to explode but too weak for doing so, for now. His hand hurt where she bit, but he couldn't blame her for her ways or insistence. She had every right to know. If she liked it or not, currently she was dependent on him, and he was in her dept. If she hadn't found him where she did he doubted he would have survived that night. 

Glancing at her, he found her ice blue eyes that carried intelligence and a certain naïveness looking into the distance. He didn't know who had attacked during their simple recon mission but something, he couldn't quite put his finger on it, told him they were also the ones responsible for the scorched earth tactic. 

"How much did you think they destroyed?", she asked quietly, "We need food, and what if they destroyed every settlement in the vicinity?"

"There is another place I know fairly well, far better guarded than the town and the village. A few Shinobi are permanently stationed there.", he answered punching down the worry inside, "we may need a bit of luck, but we will reach them the latest by this evening continuing with this speed." 

"Alright, but still I believe we should prepare eventualities or at least have a plan for the unlikely case we meet someone."

"What do you have in mind?", he asked agreeing with her, having more than one option was never a bad idea. 

"I am right in thinking that by being Shinobi, someone from what I guess is not an unimportant Clan is not low-key?", she asked him, and he couldn't help but admit she had a point. He thought of traveling the entire way as a Shinobi. If the ones who were cruel enough to scorched earth and the ones attacking him were the same, then being a Shinobi was not safe. Being a Shinobi from a prominent Clan like the Uchiha was even worse in cases like these. 

"It is most certainly not safe. But there is no safety here at all. What is far worse, in fact, that we don't know whom we are fighting."

"We are flying blind.", she said with a dryness he would have never expected from someone her age. 

"We are."

"Then we need to do something.", she muttered in what he was guessing was thinking out loudly. 

"We are at times of war. Everything is burned no one will be looking for two children who survived.", he voiced his thoughts for cover, "Orphans are common, and we are young enough to be considered totally harmless."

"And no one asks who we are. Where we come from. Because no one would take notice of us." She muttered. 

"Right." 

They looked into the distance and the far away and faintly visible lone tower of black smoke they saw was a forbore the terrible. "Shisui.", she whispered, and he took a deep breath, hugging her now trembling painfully thin figure. "That..."

He gulped. 

"It is not where we are heading." He muttered.

Please, not another place filled with death. There are too many already.

"I want to go there. Maybe someone has survived this time.", she said. He wanted to tell her there was no chance of that happening, but he couldn't. Not when he was hoping for that miracle as well, that this time the attackers had overlooked someone. 

"If someone has survived they will be a burden, a burden like you.", he forced himself to say that and earned a gaze that could have made most Jonin in Konoha make a retreat. 

 

101