Chapter 17 – Ramen, Ryo and Chopsticks
2.7k 4 95
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, enjoyment looked different. Shisuis was grumbling in silence ever since she asked him to teach her.

"Alright, I teach you the basics. I can't always be around to carry you. A bit of self-defense is never a bad Idea." He looked at her, "but I will not teach you beyond the realm of self-defense and If anyone asks, you have not learned it from me." 

"I only need a point to start with. I never expected you to teach me secret clan techniques or the like."

She smiled and he made a no commentary grunt. Despite his age, he was a huge supporter of the occasional nonverbal communication fraction.

"The easiest is to start with throwing a proper punch or kick. Not something you can do right now, so we start with theories and Hand signs. Oh, and do you have money?"

"I am a fan of that. Money is in the small bag hanging around my neck. While we are at it, could you explain your money system to me?"

Shisui blinked and had to stop for a moment before continuing to walk, slightly off balance. "We have Ryo, that's how our money is called." He said. "God's...."

He started to tremble before laughing out loudly until he had tears in his eyes. "God's...you...are... unbelievable." He said in-between laugher fits."how the ever living hell did you survive up until now?"

"A rather short and confusing story. So Ryo is it, and a hundred Ryo are what?"

"What the...?", He looked at her strangely, "just Ryo, it's very simple. I am afraid to ask. Can you count and read?"

What, I can count and read. Well read my own country's language. What if they have a different writing system here? Well that would be a problem. 

It was the first time it occurred to her that she truly had no idea just how to life. She did not know if she could read. She knew basically nothing and did not even possess a very basic life skill like walking right now. 

"I don't know if I can read. I can count, though."

Shisui blinked again as they entered the gates of the town and frowned, "We have a long, very, very long way to go." He muttered, and they were standing inside the town all of a sudden. "For now, how about we find something to eat?"

"Good Idea, that way please, I smell something." She muttered and pointed to her left. Shisui smiled and followed her order, landing them right in front of a small Ramen shop. 

"Ramen?", He asked, and she nodded enthusiastically, she had never eaten Ramen before, it smelled heavenly. 

"Ramen it is, then. I think I have money somewhere myself." He put her on a stool and went through his pockets. 

Gene laughed a little. " I have money take mine, here." She pointed to where she had the pouch Yui had given her. Shisui took it and looked inside. "This really is enough to get by quite a while. While we are at it. Want to start by practicing how to use money through paying the bill?" 

"Yes, with pleasure if I manage to eat by myself." She tried raising her arms and failed halfway because her arms started to cramp. "It doesn't look to great." 

"Don't worry I'll help you.", He sat down next to her. 

"Two Ramen please.", He ordered from the man behind the counter. 

"Coming up, wishes?", He said and smiled brightly at them. 

"Extra noodles please." Gene ordered and enjoyed the rich smell coming from the soup.

A little later and a giant bowl of Ramen was placed right in front of her. Shisui next to her and gave her the chopsticks. She looked a bit lost at them. Starting to observe how Shisui handled them trying to imitate what he was doing rather clumsily. 

"How ..." Shisui frowned and took her, placing her on his lap. He put her Ramen bowl right in front of her. Taking her hands into his he showed her how to hold the chopsticks. "Like this." 

"Okay." She moved her fingers and tried to open and close them, taking a few noodles that promptly fell back into her bowl. Gritting her teeth she ignored the pain shooting through her arm and tried again succeeding in reaching her mouth, but ending up with half of it smeared full of soup. 

Behind her, Shisui chuckled and took them from her. He took a small handkerchief from his bag and cleaned her mouth "I help you this time." He picked up the noodles and twirled them, so they were fixed, before holding them in front of her. "Thank you." She said before slowly starting to eat them. Chewing carefully since otherwise her stomach would protest she was fed by Shisui who finished swiftly his bowl in at the same time while she ate using his left hand. 

"You have a caring friend, Missus." The man behind the counter said, watching them and smiling.

She smiled back and shallowed her food. "I know. I was very lucky to find him." She answered and bit into the piece of pork Shisui dangled in front of her. 

They needed rather long before they had finished, and outside the sun had long set. Gene was feeling totally stuffed for the first time in forever and Shishui held out the coins in front of her. 

"The two bowls of Ramen costed 8 Ryo. Try it out." She picked out 8 copper coins and looked at Shisui for confirmation. He nodded, and she handed them to the stall owner. 

I guess I seem young enough, so no one asks why I can't eat with chopsticks or practice paying.

Shisui picked her from the stool and carried her outside. It was already dark and looking into the star filled sky she felt how the sensations of warmth, a full belly and relative safety made her sleepy. 

"Go ahead and sleep I will find us an Inn.", Shisui muttered, and she nodded thankfully. There was little strength left inside her for being attentive. This day had been like the former simply exhausting.

So tired.

95