III Chapter 45 – The past and the future
334 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gene walked in the streets of Kiri where slowly people were gathering. There were free eateries around, being almost overrun by crowds. The first action Mei had taken was opening their food stores. After that, she proceeded to take over the negotiations, prioritizing food imports. 

The way she handled herself and her priorities were not exactly supported by the Shinobi Clans, but the Commoners support was so overwhelming and no one wanted the job that no one dared protest. Instead, they did as said and kept their heads low. Tsukiko who sat there was fully in her element, a fish in water. 

She ripped off metaphorical heads and twisted words, Gene couldn't even follow anymore what they were talking about. Political gibberish in its purest form and avoidable like a pest in her opinion. 

"Granny!" Gene shouted and rushed over to the old woman who was handing out cookies. 

"Little Fuyu." The old woman said and took the hug Gene gave her returning best she could. "I am happy to see you." 

"I too." She said and smiled as the Granny patter her head. 

"You showed the living lights out of me when a few Shinobi gentlemen came to my shop and asked for cookies for their meeting." She said, and started laughing when a small child started to demand attention. Suckling on their thumb. "Whatever you did there, it must have been important." 

"Mhhh, I was just lucky someone who has a working brain and kindness in her took over the mantle." Gene said and looked at the streets. "Terumi-san seems to be taking it seriously, but in how far it will help and change Kiri I don't know." 

"Change is always both good and bad, stagnation is only bad. Come with me, I have something I want to give to you." Gene followed Granny, who left the rest of her cookies to be distributed among the children, and walked back to her store. 

There she went to the back and took out something from a cabinet. "It belonged to your parents, I am sure they would have wanted you to have it one day." She said. "It was the only thing I could save back then from the flames." 

She took out two neatly folded pieces of fabric. One was crafted in the clearest blue and the other one ebony black. Opening them, Gene held her breath, she remembered her mother and father wearing those when attending important meetings and such.

"It was your parent's most precious Kimonos. The lighter one is crafted out of the finest Silk from the very north of Kiri, only a few balls every decade are produced of this an entire Kimono is probably worth more than the entirety of Kiris annual income. See this wave embroidery there, it was made by your great-great-grandmother herself. She was the seamstress of the page coats back then, till today there are very few who can do dual side embroidery. The other one is for your Uchiha, assuming he is yours, but you never let go of what you love ever since you were a small child, so I doubt you will let the Uchiha boy go." Granny laughed at that. The jet black Kimono was a man's Kimono, but had the same delicate wave embroidery in the lightest of blues. 

"You could have supported yourself the rest of your life if you had sold just one of those two." Gene said showed, but earned herself a smack on the back of her head. 

"Stupid as if I would have sold those. They were my friends things, I just kept them safe until their daughter would come and take them with her." Granny grumbled and Gene nodded obediently. "Want to try it on?" 

Gene nodded excitedly and giddy, she and the old woman went to work. About half an hour later she was dressed in the fine multi layered Kimono standing on a chair and was looking into the mirror with wonder. Her white hair was pinned up with a simple hairpin. 

"Gene, you did remember captain's orders to always walk around in pai...." Shisui walked in as Gene was viewing herself in the mirror and stopped. "....pairs." he muttered. 

"Shisui look this was my mom's does it suit me?" She asked, and he nodded, slipping next to her. "You look pretty." He said, and the elderly Woman next to Gene started laughing. 

"He is completely stunned, little one." She said, "now get yourself here as well and then behind there, if we are going to do this, we do it properly." 

"Wha..." Shisui was grabbed by the old woman and was dragged along. A while later, he walked out behind the screen and was dressed in the jet black Kimono that matched hers. 

"Ahhh, you two look so cute, stand next to each other and make an old woman happy." Shisui stepped next to Gene, who was still standing on a chair, so her Kimono wouldn't drag. Shisui stood next to her and she giggled. 

"Bigger than you." She said, and he smiled as the old woman clapped her hands happily.  

"You two make a cute pair." 

Gene grinned, standing on her chair, and hugged Shisui next to her. He started smiling too as the old woman was happily watching the two. 

"I am very happy that you found a new home Fuyu-chan, and someone to be with, you better watch out Uchiha-san, she is a keeper. I feel like I am seeing an illusion it suits you two." 

"I know, come on." Shisui lifted Gene from the Chair and carried her along, the long Kimono cascading down. 

13