Chapter 01: The Shinning Siblings
517 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another morning starts, so we stretch our body and yawn.

Not that we need it. We haven’t really slept since we became we and stopped being I. Now, some of us always stay awake while some rest.

And our body is just really lots of small bodies connected together. So, no need to stretch at all.

But, it’s always good to avoid suspicion.

The humans are waking up, and we need to look like them.

Slowly, their bodies start moving, their movements clumsy, their thoughts muddled.

Well, they have only one mind, after all.

Not that we have more than one. Not exactly.

But we haven’t exactly just one, neither.

It’s complicated.

Lucas is the first to get up. It’s not for nothing that he is the most dangerous with a knife in our group. Always ready to finish his enemies with a hit, and incredible fast on his feet.

He smiles at our direction, and say:

-“Morning, Raiv. Still tired after sleeping for this long?”

We vibrate the inside of our bodies to make the right sounds and make the ones forming our mouth move at the right angles to imitate what would be a human voice and what would a human look like while speaking.

The results are, like always, awful.

Our “voice” sounds like a scratched whisper, our movements are discoordinated at best, jerky at worst. We look like a sick, old, dying human, and that’s great, because it means we look like a human.  Like a sick, old, dying one, but still one. As long as the others believe that, we are safe. Damn the likes of Lucas, that makes us interact way more than what is necessary. But we are ready for it. We have been with this group for over a year. So we say:

-“Fuck you, asshole.”

His smile grows even larger.

Rosa is the next on her feet, and she gives a quick look at us. She is responsible for our long distance targets, cover fire and precise hits. She is always analyzing her surroundings, studying the situation.

We don’t like her.

She is dangerous to us. If anyone suspects, it’s her. She may not know what we are, but she surely knows something is wrong. She probably tolerates it because she knows they need us. We’ve been too helpful to the party. Without us, they wouldn’t have made half the money they did, wouldn’t have saved half the people.

But, what would we do when she got too suspicious?

Anna is still laying down, waiting for the last minute to leave her bed. We always thought how weird is how she always is the first to throw herself at the enemies, but the last at pretty much everything else.

Maybe she just likes smashing heads that much. She surely seems to enjoy doing it.

Daniel starts telling her to hurry up, says we have only 20 minutes to pack our things.

“Then wake me up in 15 minutes” – answers Anna.

He sighs, and then leaves, He probably is going to be back in 15 minutes to wake her up. He is always at the rearguard, helping the team. Without him, we would probably have all died a long time ago. Well, not we, of course. But all the others. His healing magic is way stronger than what a normal human should be. That’s good. Another power freak in our party, it takes the attention from us.

And finally, there is Diego. Even having been awake for the past three hours, guarding the camp, he looks like a prince, and could blend in with spoiled nobles and look nobler than them.

It is a nice contrast to our group, since we could only blend with lepers and beggars. And look worse than them.

We move our body to the fireplace, and join the others for breakfast.

We didn’t really eat, much like as we didn’t really sleep, but we had to keep appearances.

Our movements are delicate, like a fragile creature that could break. A good disguise to thousands little creatures that are connected and moving simultaneous, hold together only by our will.

None of them pay us much attention, for habit, for disgust, for pity. Only Rosa gives us some surreptious glances, and we pretend we don’t notice it.

Another morning with the Shinning Siblings, fearless heroes of this country. Saviors of the defenseless, inspiration to children, icons to what men and women crave to be.

And of course there’s also we.

21