Chapter 207 [Barry]
353 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Barry squirmed in the chair as he kept his gaze on the floor, wondering how had things come to this? Well, he knew how. There were six knights, one Lala and one Orion, and Embla was somewhere outside Seledo with a retinue of unknown size ready to jump in and save him if things went south. Oh, how desperately he wanted to be saved right now. The only reason he hadn’t told Lala to ask for the backup was because he knew how bloody things would get.

He had to escape this problem on his own.

It would likely take a miracle, however, as he was currently trapped in a room with his aunt. One Miss Erica Dodson.

“Your hair is all silly. Why did you dye it like that?” The woman spoke with the derisive tone of voice that was practically a trademark. “You wouldn’t happen to have gotten in with some bad crowds, have you, little Barry?”

“No, aunt Erica.” He sighed, slumping as he sat on the stool.

“Good heavens, at least you survived. Do you know how much anxiousness you’ve caused me? I swear, I must have aged a decade!”

“I’m sorry, aunt Erica.”

“As you should be. Going off with that troublesome brother of yours like it was some kind of picnic!” She huffed, making a gesture at the nurse. “Bring us some tea, girl, quickly.”

“Aunt, I don’t think-.”

“You clearly don’t know how things work. Don’t worry, you’ll get a chance to learn now that you’ve come back from whatever horrid place you were in.” Her nose wrinkled at his clothes as her hand sent the nurse to run off. “What is it with your clothes? Were you put to work on a farm?”

“No, aunt, I-.”

“And the hair. Why did you dye it all out? You look like someone dipped you in tar! I hope it’s not something that toxic. It can be scrubbed off, right?”

“Yes, aunt, but-.”

“Good, then that’s going to be the first order of business. Lord Hevron is a minor noble, but he knows generosity and hospitality. We’ll get you cleaned and properly dressed.” She scowled deeply, shaking her head. “And the girl you came in with, she wouldn’t happen to be bonded to you?”

“Lala’s with me, and-.”

“Goodness, no, no, that won’t do at all. Bonded to some farmer girl? Don’t worry, I received some of the Earl’s generosity. I’m sure we can convince him to part ways with one of his knights. Now those are good and proper girls. They know their place and show respect as they should.”

“I’m not parting with-.”

“Well, fine, I guess. Keep the farmhand if you must.” She made a dismissive gesture with her wrinkled hand. “Maybe she can be trained into being a good and proper maid. The pointy eared ones have some ability to grow herbs and that is worth at least the pity.”

“Aunt-.”

“Listen, Barry, you might not know it, but we are very important here. You should start acting like it or you will get people to take advantage of us.” She frowned a little. “Where is that girl? The tea-.” She paused as the door opened, the pink haired nurse entering with a flustered expression. “There we go, see Barry? By the way, where is your insufferable brother?”

Barry’s lips thinned, his face fell as he lowered his eyes. “I thought he might have been here.”

“Heavens, no, that would be such a disaster. That boy never learnt proper manners.” She took the offered cup of tea from the nurse. “This is heavenly, soothing, well done, girl. Barry, you should try it. I’m sure it will help you relax. You always tense up too much.”

“Mark’s dead.”

“Oh.” The woman halted, her brows furrowing. “That… is a shame. I never did like him, but I would’ve never wished for such a thing to happen to him. He has always been a troublemaker though, mixing in with the wrong crowd. It’s a shame no one curbed that boy’s bad habits.”

Barry looked at his aunt as she drank another sip of tea, his eyes widening ever so slightly. “That’s… it? Mark’s dead and… that’s it? That’s all you have to say? ‘It’s a shame’?”

“Don’t get me wrong, Barry. I am saddened by his passing, but I thought both of you had been lost months ago.” She replied, shaking her head. “Now at least the good nephew is back, which should be a cause for celebration. Now that I’ve finished my rejuvenation session, we-.”

“No.”

Erica Dodson’s wrinkled brows rose ever so slightly. “Excuse me?”

“I said no.” Barry stood up, inhaling sharply as he stood tall. “I’m leaving.”

“You will do no such thing.” Her lips curled downwards. “Your absentee mother is not around, making me your legal-.”

“I’m not a kid anymore, aunt Erica.” He turned towards the nurse, his eyes flicking to the nametag on her shirt for a split second. “I came here to buy you.”

“Sir,-.”

“You can either stay here or come with me.”

“Barry!”

The nurse glanced at the old lady’s expression as it was starting to redden, and then at Barry. There was a very brief moment of panic before she reached out to grab his hand. “I’d be honored, sir.”

“Young man, you will listen to me!”

Barry turned on the spot to look at her, expression stern, anger bubbling in his chest and pushing him forward with the resolve he might not have been able to sustain otherwise. “No, I won’t.”

He stepped out of the room, turning to the knight.

“Stop!” the voice shouted out before he could say anything. Miss Dodson stepped through with her wrinkled face contorted into rage to a degree that gave Barry pause. “You are tearing everything apart, acting childish. You might not care one bit about family, but I will do what’s best! Knights! Apprehend him!”

No one moved. There was a startled silence, heads turned to look between Barry, Lala, Marianne, and the six armored knights. Hands reached down for the pommel of swords. Stances shifted, and the air tingled.

“I’ve done nothing wrong.” Barry stated, raising his hands, voice faltering. “Are you going to arrest me for disagreeing with my aunt? Would you like me to explain that to the Lord? Or the Earl?”

They flinched, but they did not relax.

“We were sent to protect and serve Elder Dodson.” The one in charge leaned slightly. “Please do not make this more complicated than it has to be.”

“Fuck this.”

Lala stepped in front of Barry, dropping a satchel of leather and stomping on it. There was a sound, an impossible sound, of wood and glass shattering into tiny bits, followed by the sound of the world creaking like an old floorboard. The energy washed over them like a tsunami, and suddenly everything became dark. The floor vanished from under their feet, and they fell?, screaming.

A split second, and Barry blinked back in reality.

One floor below the one they’d been occupying an instant ago.

“Run!”

Lala hissed angrily, grabbing his hand as well as the nurse’s and starting a dead sprint out of the building. From above, he heard screams and shouts of alarm. And when they stepped outside, Barry’s eyes widened. Seeing the windows on the second floor had been blown out as if a bomb had just gone off.

But there was no time to stick around and wait. They ran.

14