Chapter 8 – Little Family Talk
52 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How the cleaning progress?” (Saffron)

“It won’t take long. Give us a couple hours to clear the way, My Lord.”

“Ngh, continue your duty then.” (Saffron)

“Hah!”

Finished his report, the guard captain saluted then leaves the carriage.

*Sigh*…

“How is it, father?”

Asked young man, sitting across the carriage.

“Right now, more or less fine, Rian.” (Saffron)

Rian Re Everyne, having alike characteristic with his father, but younger and firmer. He sat same carriage as Duke Saffron as the successor of house and come to learn from his father closely. The incident unexpectedly become an opportunity for Rian to learn and gain experience from him.

“So, this isn’t a conspiracy against us?” (Rian)

“Yes, this purely an incident.” (Saffron)

Rian reassured hearing the confirmation from Duke Saffron.

Truthfully, the young man very concerned when he found they were trapped. This occurrence very timely with their departure, needlessly worried him someone might planned this and would come harm him and his family.

Rian believe his father vision. He’s been serving as Everyne head and army general for long time. His long experience and wisdom able him to see the whole situation accurately. At least, more accurate than him.

Duke Everyne is Rian aspiration and goal to pass as the successor of Everyne family.

“What are you sighed at?” (Saffron)

“I’m relief we aren’t in bad situation.” (Rian)

“You silly son.” (Saffron)

Duke Saffron shake his head disappointedly.

Rian’s expression hardened. For him, his father’s disappointment more hurt than being stabbed by knife. It showed he still ineligible as future lord.

“Listen. This incident might coincidence, but don’t let off your guard yet as we still in wilderness no matter how we told the safety. Look the surrounding disaster Rian, the sign still new. Which means, the incident just happens recently. Maybe, as we cleaning up the mess here, the monsters or whatever that caused this still around, watching us, assail us anytime.” (Saffron)

Rian shaken by Duke Saffron’s explanation. Never crossed in his mind the instance his father pointed out. He realized, if it the situation like he’s said, their current situation doesn’t necessary be better than being conspired.

“Father, isn’t it bad if it like that? Won’t be better if we take a detour than cleaning the road?” (Rian)

“There’s wouldn’t need. What I’m told just worst instance. If something like that happen, our guard would handle it. Surely, Robert will manage it.” (Saffron)

Rian widened his eyes as he noticed something, then nodded.

“It’s like that. Father already have been considered this situation before travel. Is this the reason there so many senior guards escorting us?”

Prior trip, Rian counted the guards that will escort them, and found it little excessive. There’re even the only two Everyne house Rank Third Warriors including Duke Saffron trusted butler, Robert. It’s almost of small army than escort team.

“Wrong, they for another reason.” (Saffron)

“What?” (Rian)

Duke Saffron glancing around before continuing his word in low voice.

“Listen carefully, Rian, because I wouldn’t repeat it. There’s another reason why I bringing entire family to capital.” (Saffron)

“What is it, Father?” (Rian)

Duke Saffron told him a piece of important information.

Rian’s facial expression tensed up after that. He recognized just how bad the news it. Then, he puzzled.

“Father, if it true, why we went to capital? Isn’t it safer if we staying home?” (Rian)

“It not simple. This problem is somehow related with Prince’s birthday. I’ve gotten decree from His Majesty to participate in His Highness’s party as well security.” (Saffron)

“With Prince?” (Rian)

Another bad news.

“That’s why Father presence in capital now is must, huh.” (Rian)

“Right, Son. Since I’m also feel uneasy leaving you all in territory, I brought you all with me.” (Saffron)

Rian nodded, accepting his father’s reasoning.

But really.

*Sigh*

Rian couldn’t help but sighed heavily.

He felt his sense growing numb after surprised by consecutive heavy news. Though not numb enough for him miss his father’s hint.

“…” (Rian)

Rian looked at Duke Saffron.

He got it. It’s because the heir of house, Duke Saffron let him heard such heavy news. He’ll evaluate his deed toward this problem. Although this should an opportunity to get recognition from his father, Rian gloomily face upward. He knew just how troublesome is it from the information.

Depression spread out in carriage.

As the atmosphere in carriage grow heavy, knocks come from door.

Saffron and Rian silently look at each other for brief, then shifted at the door.

“Father, it’s me, Emer.” (Emer)

“…Oh, Brother Emer. Father inside, come in.” (Rian)

Realizing the chance to shifted the heavy atmosphere, Rian quickly invite Emer in without confirming it to Duke Saffron.

Duke Saffron not admonish him for it, he still warning him nevertheless.

“Rian, don’t tell anyone what I told with my permission.” (Saffron)

“Understood.” (Rian)

“I’m in.” (Emer)

Emer’s head tilted when he’s in.

“…Did I miss something?” (Emer)

Asked Emer, felt wrong with the air inside.

“No, no. You didn’t miss anything. Isn’t there reason why you come here?” (Rian)

“Ah, right. I’ve here to give the cleaning report.” (Emer)

“Didn’t the guard captain had sent it?” (Rian)

“No, this additional report that just newly found. This report from the scout we’ve sent.” (Rian)

“…” (Saffron)

Duke Saffron silently urging Emer to continue.

“It’s reported presences of monster. They said there too many of them gathering in one place. We suspect they culprit of broken road. They haven’t made move to us yet. What should we do, father?” (Emer)

Rian’s sight landed on Duke Saffron. The situation precisely with his expectation. He waiting his father decision.

“Just keeping up with the cleaning, the faster we’re done the better. As for the monsters, don’t need do anything yet and keep watching. They wouldn’t attacking us, since they should feel third rank Warrior aura among us.” (Saffron)

“…Yes.” (Emer)

Emer slightly unsure with the decision, but didn’t argue it.

Duke Saffron’s decision is to procced their trip as soon and safely as possible. He doesn’t want to needlessly provoking hornet nest if possible. As long they didn’t attack the monsters first, they’d turn blind by their presence.

“How is your mother?” (Saffron)

Duke Saffron decide to change topic.

Hearing his question, Emer smile wryly.

“Nothing worries of. Mothers are playing with Larc.” (Emer)

“I see.” (Saffron)

Same wry plastered on Duke Saffron and Rian face.

Though they’re wife and mistresses, their relationship intimate like sister. Duke Saffron felt fortune with their bond, even while they’d occasionally teamed up to bully him.

Duke Saffron couldn’t forget the experience when he visited his friend’s home. That place chilling atmosphere, as the main wife and mistress hostility aiming for each other throat.

Larc is Duke Saffron Youngest Son, just a year older than Misha. Unlike Misha, he’s cute and childish, befitted with his age. That’s why his three brides often play and spoiling him.

Speaking of Misha, a bad premonition struck in Duke Saffron’s Mind.

“…How is Misha?” (Saffron)

As soon this question fell, Rian and Emer petrified.

“Did you take a look her, Emer?” (Rian)

“…Sorry, I haven’t. I’ll check her later.” (Emer)

“…Please do.” (Rian)

Both of them grown anxious.

Misha is the youngest child among Everyne children. She was an illegitimate child that live outside family before brought in by their father. Even though Misha was ten-years-old girl, they’d occasionally forgetting it, as Misha often not behaving befit her age. They realized Misha’s genius in every word, as she would making rapid process in everything she learns. Study language, arithmetic, social, and magic. Misha learned all of that, even more than them at her age.

Despite known as genius, Misha also have been known well as most troublesome child in family, intentionally or not. Take the past instance; Misha almost burned the library just three months after she live with them, or there’s also time she almost burned their house because her magic study. There’re some incidents related Misha that struck Rian and Emer with headache, like she got wrong carriage because carriage sickness and end up being caught by thief.

Even though Misha hasn’t lives long with them, she’s become the most well-known child among Everyne children after various event.

Honestly, even Duke Saffron doesn’t have idea what have to do with this daughter. He can’t praise her much because the trouble she brought nor he can punish her since helping family with her magic.

Their conversation struck them the image of weary servant that always beside her.

“…That servant of her, what is it his name again?” (Rian)

“It’s Arc, brother Rian. Why ask?” (Emer)

“Nothing. I’m just want applaud him for survive until now.” (Rian)

“…Yeah.” (Emer)

Emer cast pity gaze for the servant.

Arc, Misha’s personal servant.

He’s an orphan Misha picked up and brought home.

At first, there’s hot debated of how a strange boy became Misha’s personal servant unceremoniously. Though after long of series of unfortune and troubling event, the debate stopped entirely and Arc kept to stuck with Misha, even let them being together like a pair of bird. That’s because they’ve spotted Arc being dragged, managing, and cleaning up after Misha’s trouble. People can’t help but thankfully by his presence, as well look him with pity.

“Well, maybe that’s because he’s same genius. That’s why he could keeping up with her.” (Emer)

After the event couple weeks ago, they had to reevaluated the servant, Arc. They no longer saw him as a mere strange orphan that Misha randomly picked up, as they realized Arc was another genius like Misha.

Whenever Misha went, Arc would stick with her. He’d accompany her in study, eat, play, train, or sleep. Everyne people would always saw them being together. There’s even rumor about them bathing together.

Basically, they’ve realized, Arc’s a multi-talented servant that always would support Misha.

Emer slightly envied Misha. He also wants a sensible and talented servant.

*Sigh*

After a long thought, Saffron sighed tiredly.

“…I hope they wouldn’t be caught in some troublesome matter again…” (Saffron)

Rian and Emer were speechless hearing their father heartfelt wish. Seems like even their great father can’t managed their little sister, though they wished same. In this problem brewing situation, any unexpected incident could happen. This most perfect time to be caught in problem.

“I’ll send Robert back to watch them.” (Saffron)

Duke Saffron decided send Robert.

Robert is third rank Warrior personable Duke Saffron have. He’s serving the Everyne family as Saffron trusted subordinate and the house butler.

For Misha cornered Duke Saffron to send Robert to watch over her, showing how much distress she caused for him.

Rian and Emer can only smile dryly.

The air in carriage turn harmony as their talk about Misha’s misdeed and misfortune relaxing their stance.

As Emer about leave the carriage, Rian noticed something.

“Hmm? Isn’t the outside little too noisy.” (Rian)

“Now you pointed it, I also felt the carriage shaking a little.” (Emer)

“…” (Rian)

“…” (Emer)

A bad premonition assaults them.

“You two, what are waiting for? Hurry up take look!” (Saffron)

Before they could reach the door, Arianne suddenly bursting in. Her breath ragged and there’s panic in her expression.

“FATHER!” (Arianne)

Through the door, the saw the outside situation turn chaotic.

Their impatient sight landed on Arianne, as she breathing heavily, wondering what happened in meantime they’re talking.

“…hah…hah…Father…hah…monster…” (Arianne)

“Arianne, speak clearly.” (Saffron)

Arianne took a deep breath, calming her stomping heart.

“…Father…a monster swarm… they rushed… through our middle entourage…” (Arianne)

“What!?” (Saffron)

Duke Saffron stood hearing Arianne report.

“Explain the situation, brief and clear!” (Saffron)

“Yes!” (Arianne)

Arianne briefly describing the situation while they protruding out the carriage.

There’s a thief being chased by monster swarm. He escaped using their entourage as his cover and rushed through the center of entourage. Unexpectedly, there’re no senior guards in the center to defend the center entourage at that time. Ultimately, the thief and monsters broke through the center rather easily.

A terrible headache assault Duke Saffron’s head after heard the report. He cursing the thief and guards viciously in his heart.

“How is the damage?” (Saffron)

“…There’s no casualty among guard. However, there’s one heavy wounded coach and a carriage missing after being dragged by the monster…” (Arianne)

Arianne voice grew quieter and quieter as she explaining. Her line sight avoiding her father’s, as though she afraid something.

The report shock Duke Saffron, Rian, and Emer. Not because the low casualty, but the report about missing carriage that got dragged by monster swarm.

There’re four carriages in the center entourage; three are using to bring supplies, and last currently rode by a certain little sister and her servant.

“……So which carriage got dragged?” (Saffron)

Duke Saffron firmly held his head. He can guess which carriage is it from his daughter expression, but he still holding a faint hope for his guess missed.

Unfortunately, his guess is accurate.

“……It’s Misha’s carriage… She and her servant still in the carriage when it got dragged…” (Arianne)

Arianne spoke after great difficult.

Duke Saffron’s feet almost give out after he heard Arianne’s last report.

Unexpectedly, his worst premonition became true.

2