Chapter 9 – Monster Rush
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment before Arc and Misha dragged.

 

*****

***

*

 

“Hah…hah…hah…”

“Roar!”

“Gyaa!”

“Howl!”

A man dressed in thief suit hiding under bushes from horde of monsters.

It’s been hours since he’s chased.

Normally, he wouldn’t in such dangerous place. He just a commoner with little bit mana that love live peacefully in safe city like any ordinary people. But circumstance forced him leave his safe to this dangerous forest.

His life was blight and broken. His wife and daughter escape from him, his family cut ties with him, and his friend abandoned him. The people that had good relation with him leave one by one. That’s all because he’s a violent scum with alcoholic and gambling addiction.

He’s like gambling, but rarely did he ever win, resulting him trapped in huge gambling debt.

At beginning, he was intended to sell his daughter to pay off his debt, but failed as his wife escape with his daughter before he could act. Then he planned to threw the debt to his family, but his family got news about him and cut ties first. Lastly, he desperately tried borrows money from his friends, but refused.

Leaving without a way out, he’s tried gambling off his life. To pay his debt, that man venture the dangerous forest near his city. He once heard rumors about secret bountiful treasure kept in the forest. He didn’t care if the rumors real or not, as he already set his eyes on the treasure and went on dangerous journey.

His travel proceeds smoothly at first. with his knowledge and experience when he once as hunter, he managed avoiding the monsters and survive in the forest, albeit barely.

But the situation didn’t last long.

After week journey in the forest, he was run out of provision and haven’t yet find any treasure. He was hungry, dirty, and weakened. His appearance turned worser and worser than the day he was started.

As he about gave up, he encountered a rare monster infant, Holicorn, alone in forest. A very beautiful horse monster. Its white color and holy aura captivate any girl who saw it. Favorite monster pet among high class noblewoman.

Holicorn priced very high in the black market. High enough to leave massive of money even he’s pay off the entire debt.

The man’s eyes turned mad red in greed as he glaring at monster infant, then captured it.

Doesn’t he know Holicorn was the forest leader, and he caught their child.

As the man success capturing Holicorn infant, it’s cried loudly. Then two big Holicorns appeared, chase after their child.

The man managed escape from them at first. However, his luck ran out after Holicorns called helper to catch him, destroyed his escape path, leaving him in dead end.

Resulting the man trapped in his current situation.

Now, the man helplessly hiding in the wood with Holicorn infant on his back.

As he’s worked his brain out to escape from this precarious situation, he sighted a well-off caravan passed through the forest.

He notices they’re caravan of noble. Immediately, the man realized he wouldn’t be helped, instead will be punished if he brought swarm of monster toward them.

Watching the grand line of carriages brought out dark feeling buried in the man’s heart. He envious at noble and any well-off people who doesn’t have worries in finance like him.

As he staring at them, a devious plan formed in his mind.

The man smiling darkly.

After a bit preparation, he rushed toward the center of the caravan where it was least guarded.

The pair Holicorn spotted him and Holicorn infant on his back and hurried chase him.

The caravan guard, who too late notice them, tried stop them.

Too late, the collusion was unavoidable.

 

*****

***

*

 

“Like this?” (Arc)

“Yes, just do like that?” (Misha)

Following Misha awkward instruction, Arc was meditated, try to circulate mana inside him thorough his body.

Even though there’s feeling his move was slightly rough, Arc succeeded circulate his mana.

Beads of sweats formed on his head, showed how deeply Arc was concentrating.

From side, Misha anxiously watching him, as she knows the difficulty Arc’s facing.

Return to few minutes ago.

Out of boredom, Misha decided to teach Arc the art of meditation on her whim.

It’s a technique can’t be done unless someone is a Warrior or Magist.

She instructed Arc a simple form of meditation she know and got to present situation.

Truthfully, meditation actually harder than it’s look.

Although in her previous world often mentioned about meditation, it’s appeared as unknown technique in this world, as Misha never saw other perform any kind meditation.

Any kind mana circulating-like or level up Misha knew done through battle.

Misha thought it’s troublesome and dangerous, since she couldn’t just randomly pick fight and could lost her life. Misha who wants became stronger safely come up with meditation.

Misha successfully performed meditation in her first try. However, after tried meditation, Misha realized why no one never thought off this idea. It’s because harder to circulate mana through meditation than fighting. If she scaled, it’s about 1 of 100 efficiency.

However, there’s no way for Misha threw herself in danger just to circulate her mana and she was not in hurry. Misha kept up with her meditation.

Her persistence rewarded. After meditation for two years, she noticed the vivid change in her technique. The efficiency of meditation turns better and better each day. By present, her meditation not worse than fighting.

The situation greatly baffled Misha.

The thought it’d waste to threw herself in needless battle firmed. She strongly wondering why there’s no one come up with her idea.

It’s true meditation was hard to perform and inefficient at beginning. However, it’s turn out the technique would turn better as they mastering the technique.

Misha pulled herself from daydream, return to observe Arc.

She feels Arc quite slow to catch her instruction. She ignored the fact her instruction was awkward. 

Can’t keep her apprehension, Misha decided to help Arc. She placed her small hand on Arc stomach, slightly sending her mana.

“Can you feel where I touch you, Arc?” (Misha)

“…Yes.” (Arc)

“First, gather your energy here slowly… Yes, do like that. Then, bit a bit, please direct circulate your mana through your chest then back to stomach.” (Misha)

Arc following her instruction in succession.

Misha gave further instruction, as Arc obediently listening her.

After twenty minutes or so minutes, Arc feel on carriage floor with layer of sweat covered his skin.

“How is it?” (Misha)

“…Incredible…” (Arc)

Arc honestly told his impression.

“It was hard first, but since you help me, it turns better. If I keep doing meditation like this, I could breakthrough to First Rank Low Stage in weeks without need of fight.” (Arc)

“That’s nice, Arc!” (Misha)

“This’s yours did Misha. Honestly, I confused why such simple yet incredible technique never been thought off.” (Arc)

Misha smile wryly at Arc Mutter. She wondering that too.

“By the way, what’s your rank currently, Misha?” (Arc)

“First Rank Advance Stage, little bit before breakthrough Peak Stage.” (Misha)

“Seems like I need work harder to caught up with you.” (Arc)

The power of mana-user divided by Rank and Stage. Higher the rank stronger the person is. There’re five divided stages in a rank; Initial, Low, Middle, Advance, lastly Peak Stages. Breakthrough stage very difficult, breakthrough rank dozen times more difficult.

In Misha’s home and surroundings, it’s believed breakthrough can only achieved through fighting. But meditation overturned that sense. Breakthrough doesn’t necessarily achieve through fighting, however through mana circulation when someone in fighting state. The people have been misunderstood the way to achieve higher Rank.

At first, Misha thought it’s her special ability as reincarnator like many stories in previous world. but looking at Arc, it seems unlikely.

“Seems, except talent I don’t have any special ability…” (Misha)

“Hmm... Misha.” (Arc)

“I just muttering to myself, Arc.” (Misha)

“No. Misha. Focus your ear.” (Arc)

“Hmm?” (Misha)

Misha tilted as Arc suddenly turned vigilant. She focusing her ear as Arc told and noticing slightly disturbing commotion happening outside.

Sound of heavy stomps reaches Misha ear. The stomping speedily coming nearer and nearer toward their direction.

“…” (Arc)

“…” (Misha)

Arc and Misha’s expression tensed up. Misha haves a bad feeling toward incoming sound.

They couldn’t see the outside since Misha lowered off the window curtain, as she didn’t want to show meditation to people yet.

“What is that?” (Misha)

“Seems like stomps. Want to check out?” (Arc)

“Yes, I want–” (Misha)

“YOUNG LADY!!”

Before Misha finished her word, the coachman screamed out, frantically torn his lung to calls her.

“The-there’s a swarm of monsters rushing toward here right now!”

““What!?””

“Hurry up get out there, Young Lady!!”

The coachman doesn’t need to fully explain the situation as Arc leaped toward door.

Fortunately, he late.

*Bam!!*

“Uwaahh!” (Arc)

“Kyaaa!” (Misha)

Just as Arc opened the door, a strong impact attacks the side of carriage, slightly tilting the carriage and knocked out the passenger inside.

“Aaaaa!”

The unlucky coachman thrown off the carriage.

Arc and Misha no way to save him as their situation doesn’t be better.

Arc and Misha’s body overlap each other, shaking greatly in tilting carriage. The shook made it hard for them to stand.

Misha wondering just why the shook won’t stop.

It’s turn out their unfortune doesn’t stop there.

As Arc regained his balance, he looks outside and saw the situation they’re in.

“M-Misha, we’re being dragged by monster!” (Arc)

Looking through the opened door, the scene outside constantly moving and shaking. On coach, the horses somehow have been replaced by the mad monster. Seeing the surrounding, Arc found they surrounded by swarm of mad beast.

Misha bewildered heard him. How come they dragged in this problem when they just sitting nicely in carriage, she thought.

She quickly swept her silly thought, as it’s more important to think to escape from their current predicament.

“Arc! How about we jump out!?” (Misha)

“We can’t! We’d trampled if we jump now!” (Arc)

“How about I knock them off!?” (Misha)

“Don’t! There’re too much of them!” (Arc)

“What should we do then!?” (Misha)

Misha panicked as Arc keep rejecting her suggestion to escape. True enough her plan isn’t good ones, but they can’t just be trapped in this situation.

Right now, the monsters not yet realized their presence. When that happening, they’d become their target. Also, the longer they stay, the further Arc and Misha will be dragged away from their entourage. Which mean, Arc and Misha will be forced survive in forest if they’re dragged too far.

As Misha thinking hard, she recalled Arc’s hookshot.

“Hookshot… Arc, how about your hookshot!?” (Misha)

“…Yeah, that’s possible… I’ll try, Misha!” (Arc)

Arc took out his hookshot and shot at nearest tree.

“Kuh, missed!” (Arc)

Grimace Arc, as his shoot was missed by great margin. The swaying terrain kept Arc from aiming properly.

“Try again, Arc!” (Misha)

“…” (Arc)

Then, just Arc about shoot for second time, the monsters change their direction.

The carriage somehow detached from monster that pulled it, then rolled on ground afterward.

“Agh!” (Arc)

“Hyaa!” (Misha)

Arc and Misha thrown upside down as they rolled out inside the carriage.

Misha was hugging Arc, keeping the state of her mind, while threw [Heal] and [Mind Balance] to both of them to withhold their consciousness.

The carriage rolling down on downhill, toward cliff, and thrown off the cliff.

““AAaaaa!!””

 Then, the carriage fell and drifted into river.

 

 

If you like my story, please consider to support me and read the ahead chapters

p atreon.com/oiltumpah

1