Chapter 11.5 – Ominous Sign
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Clatak* *Clatak*

Inside a carriage, the brother and sister of Everyne children have a face-to-face meeting in tense atmosphere.

The inside was silent, no other voice except the rattling of wheels.

Can’t stay in silence any longer, a young man opens his mouth.

“……Let’s summary the situation.” (Emer)

Said the Everyne second son, starting the discussion.

“I’ll give my report then.” (Arianne)

Added the Everyne eldest daughter.

“Please do.” (Rian)

Hinted the Everyne heir.

“Several hours ago, a careless man chased by the lord of [Varista Forest]. It’s a well-known fact, the forest lord is a gentle beast knowing as Holicorn. This monster won’t attacking someone unless someone provoked it first.” (Arianne)

Arianne took a short breath.

“This man however, unscrupulously use our entourage as cover to escape from pursue. Seeing that we’re human, the forest lord mistaken us as that man’s companion and treating us as enemy. If isn’t for Mr. Robert and Knight Rick, we may already be trampled by those Holicorn.” (Arianne)

 She took another breath.

“Unfortunately, the monsters underling managed to break in, resulting we lost a carriage and one casualty. We could say we have little to none damaged looking how dangerous the situation was. However—” (Arianne)

Up until there, Arianne then holding her head, as if she withstanding a severe headache.

“……Really? She got in trouble even when she doesn’t do anything?” (Rian)

Rian continue Arianne’s report word, sounded impressed.

“……Yeah, she got kind of star on her head.” (Arianne)

Still holding her head, Arianne sounded resigned.

“……That actually impressive itself, knowing how well she was until now despite her tough luck.” (Emer)

Comment Emer, sounded bemused.

“That’s right. How could she life well despite that luck of her?” (Rian)

“Please, don’t say something ominous. Just hurry call her with your [Whispering Orb], Brother Rian.” Arianne shoot dagger at her brother.

“I have done that if I could, Arianne.” Rian tiredly defending himself.

“Now, now, you two. First thing, we must focus with the thing here first.” Emer come forward, appeasing his brother and sister.

“…Brother Emer.” (Arianne)

Arianne stare pleadingly at Emer.

“I know you anxious with Misha. However, you don’t need to think that right now. Our current prioritize is go to capital.” (Emer)

“How could we leave Misha alone in forest, Brother!?” (Arianne)

It’s been an hour since Misha disappeared. Normally, Duke Saffron would call Misha with [Whispering Orb], then dispatch a rescue team for her.”

Yet, for some reason, the Whispering Orb won’t activate no matter how much mana they fill it.

Duke Saffron and Rian’s face suddenly changed at the sight. Duke Saffron then immediately gave his order for entire entourage to leave the forest as soon as possible.

Arianne confused by the order. She was suspecting his father and brother knew something, looking how they greatly reacted when they found how unresponsive the Whispering Orb.

“…Brother Rian, please tell us why we should leave. If not, I can’t accept the order to leave Misha alone.” (Arianne)

Said Arianne, shows her determination. Her face said she will look Misha herself if he gives her unsatisfactory answer.

“Arianne, please calm down! Father have his reason.” (Rian)

“…No, Brother, Arianne was right.” (Emer)

Unexpectedly, Emer backed Arianne.

“Even just a bit, could you tell us what just happened?” (Emer)

“Ugh.” (Rian)

Emer’s eyes was clear.

Rian then realize his sibling already realize something from this incident.

Realizing he couldn’t just shut up or his sibling would gang him up for answer, Rian struggling as what decision he should take.

Arianne and Emer sitting quietly, not urging Rian harder, as they knew it’d only be counter-productive. 

After long pause, Rian sighed, as he reached somewhat hard decision.

“Okay, I couldn’t tell you much, but—” (Rian)

Rian halted, seemingly hesitated.

“At least I could tell this. First, I’ll ask you, under what kind situation Whispering Orb failed to respond?” (Rian)

Rian answer isn’t a direct explanation, rather another question.

Arianne wants to argue at first, say ‘don’t pretending’ to him. But she stopped and thought the answer deeply since Rian’s expression was deadly serious.

“Under what situation… Now you mention that, is there even a time Whispering Orb being failed to respond?” (Arianne)

“Never. I don’t own Whispering Orb and rarely did I use. But, there never time it’d fail respond when I use it.” (Emer)

Arianne couldn’t provide the right answer, as she also doesn’t have Whispering Orb. Misha owned a Whispering Orb caused by rather sad circumstance.

Both of their sight fell on Rian, urging him to give the answer.

“There are two well-known possibilities. The first one because phenomenon called mana distortion field. This phenomenon often happens at the land of war aftermath. The mana inside distortion field very chaotic and shambles, as that place were many Warriors and Magists were clashed. The mana they released would spreading in the area and mixed like muddy water. When Whispering Orb radiated by this mana, the mana circles inside Whispering Orb could affected and get haywire.” (Rian)

“Oh, that’s why such useful things rarely used in military operation. Now that I knew the reason.”

Emer nodding, convinced by Rian explanation.

“What the second possibility then? We could exclude the first possibility since there isn’t any big battle around Varista Forest.” (Emer)

“Hurry up, what the second possibility, Brother Rian?” (Arianne)

Arianne pushing Rian to continue.

“…The second possibility was the reason why we should leave this forest as soon as possible.” (Rian)

Emer and Arianne took deep breath.

“The second was because an item called [Wind Jamming]. It’s a military magic device that hacked any communication through magic and magic item.”

Emer and Arianne breathe halted by the news.

They actually knew about [Wind Jamming], but not its real function. They had read several reports of its appearance whenever secret military operation been held.

“This… are you sure, Brother Rian?” (Arianne)

“You are not joking right?” (Emer)

“…” (Rian)

Their question replied by dead silence.  

Both of them knew what the meaning of this news. If it’s true, there a chance an army reside somewhere in Varista Forest.

If it an army from Myrdiana kingdom, Duke Saffron might know something about it. Since their father reacted differently, he must doesn’t know anything about this army, which mean an unknown army.

Now, they understood why Duke Saffron hurriedly leave the forest. This forest became too dangerous for them. If they stay too long, they might get attacked by the unknown army.

The air inside carriage grew heavy as the news revealed.

“…Did we have no choice, but leave Misha alone?” (Arianne)

Arianne asked the most important question with heavy tone.

“……For now, yes.” (Rian)

For their sibling bond, Rian gave her the straight answer.

Arianne hung her head powerlessly.

“What you worried off, Arianne?” (Emer)

Emer carelessly dismisses Arianne feeling.

“What?” (Arianne)

She shot angry glare at him.

“Listen. What I’m tried to say is, this is Misha you worried about.” (Emer)

“So what? Misha just a little girl. It’s very dangerous for her to wandering alone in forest even with her servant.” (Arianne)

When heard her remark, Emer couldn’t help but give her skeptical look.

“Huh?” (Arianne)

“You… forget it. Listen, what I’m trying to say is, she definitely returns safely. Just remembers, how many times she got in trouble and return unscathed. If there someone I worried, it would her servant. I fear he might return with wounds again.” (Emer)

Emer said, pitied a certain little servant.

“Then let’s end this argument.” (Rian)

Rian concluded their short meeting.

“Arianne, to console you, I’ll attempts to call Misha in every hour.” (Rian)

“…Please do.” (Arianne)

Arianne’s face turns slightly better since Rian offering her the bottom line.

The Everyne entourage continue their trip to capital.

By the time the entourage arrived, it was late night.

On the night, when Rian make his hour call as promised, and the [Whispering Orb] unexpectedly connected.

 

 

If you like my story, please consider to support me and read the ahead chapters

p atreon.com/oiltumpah

1