Chapter 19
303 10 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
press that 💜


~the bat's POV~

The rhythmical dripping of water told me this floor was different from the others. An unknown source of light brightens the room enabling me to see far and wide.

*Squelch**Squelch*

As I try to move forward, the weirdly satisfying sound my feet make once in contact with the water exhilarates me. I spot a puddle and jump on it, wetting my magnificent fur in the process. I know I shouldn't be doing this as the noise can attract unwanted attention but the enjoyment from playing with water is unexpected.

I indulge myself some more until I'm no longer interested. Shaking my body forces tiny droplets to jump off my body, drying me in the process.

I should concentrate on leveling up. With that, I spread my wings and take off. This floor is strange. As far as I can see, only puddles and swampy greenery exist. This makes me wonder what type of creatures inhabit this floor. I have seen goblins, kobolds and deers. So what should I expect? Is it one of the three? I guess I can only wait to find out.

*Blob*Blob*

As I leisurely fly over a puddle, my ears catch on a weird sound. I quickly turn and hover above the pool. I can see the water bubbling. Maybe something is hiding beneath? With that thought, I move at a safe distance that can allow for a tactical retreat should the creature prove to be dangerous.

*Kkkwww Aaarrrggghhh*

The water bubbles violently, and a mad scream accompanies a silhouette. I don't wait to find out what it is and quickly move out of reach.

Once I judge the distance is safe, I examine the bizarre creature. I can confirm this is the first I have seen such. 

Scaly green skin like armor, an elongated face with slitted eyes on either side and a thick tough-looking tail about half the creature's size.

[Appraise].

I silently activate my trusty convenient skill, and a blue screen appears in my vision.

Lizardman; a type of beast common in swampy areas, highly territorial as swamps are not common. Beware of the tail.

So this is a lizard man? Suddenly, as I'm observing it. A red flexible forked thing protrudes from the beast's mouth. It flickers before returning to its cave. Well, that's nasty.

As I appraise and study the beast, it does the same to me. Should I attack first? Although my element of surprise is gone, I can tell the lizard is not my match. Sure its skin looks tough but so are my claws.

Just as I'm about to activate [airdash], the puddle below bubbles and another lizard man emerges. Just like the first one, it has a skirt made from what I presume to be swampy vegetation. And on its hand, a long pointy stick lies.

That aside, how are they able to fit in such a shallow-looking pond? From my perspective, it should be impossible, yet I can't refute it as the evidence is right in front of me. Is there another? I'm looking forward to it.

"Intruders shall not pass!" The new lizard man declares loudly in a groggy voice. My attention is immediately pulled from the puddle to the shouting lizard.

How impatient, the lizard has apparently started to charge. Its speed is commendable, but to me, it might as well be standing. It is so pitiful that I consider moving closer to it, but of course, I'm not that merciful.

[Airdash],

I silently chant my skill and shoot towards the lizard. I can feel the wind brush my face. I extend my claws once I'm within striking range.

For a brief moment, I can feel my claws contact flesh. I don't need to confirm it as I already know the result. But I'm still not done. With the same momentum, my eyes lock on the other lizard. The lizard doesn't have time to counter as I separate its head from its body.

You have slain level 19 lesser lizardman

Exp gain

 

You have slain level 19 lesser lizardman

Exp gain

I'm kind of bitter. I mean, what will it take for me to level up to level 20? And why is there no drop again? Ilhena told me the deeper I dive, the more the loot, but I've managed only three so far. Is my luck this bad?

I stop brooding over matters that I can't control and fly off to my next target. Hopefully, my luck will improve.

***

It has been some time since I arrived on this floor. I've slain quite a number of lizard men, so I should be nearing the boss. On this floor, what you need to look out for the most is the puddles, as there's always a high chance a lizard man is hiding beneath.

The reason this floor is so easy, I think, is because I can fly; hence the lizard's ambush proved to be useless. If a kobold or the stupid goblins were in my position, they would have a hard time.

But what frustrates me is the lack of drops. I'm not asking for a lot. One drop per floor should be enough.

"Ilhena, why is it I'm not getting any drop as you promised?" Since I can't figure out the problem, I can only ask her.

"Your luck is rather terrible," her voice soothes my anger despite her mean words. "I have never seen someone kill so much yet get so few rewards. Especially in an unexplored dungeon like this one."

So it's my luck that is the problem? Oh well, it can't be helped. It's not like I needed the drops anyway. I brush off the thought and continue with my journey.

"Don't worry, luck is only useful in dungeons," as she proceeds with her explanation. I slay another lizard man. I should ask her more about luck, but I'm afraid she might tell me what I don't want to hear.

"If that's all, I'm going back to make preparations for our departure," I'm confused by her words.

"Didn't you say I need to reach the last floor to meet with you?" I ask her.

"You won't be meeting with my main body, only a part of me," her words further confuse me. "It's better if you see it on your own. I'll be waiting on the next floor." With that, she terminates the connection.

Now the only thing in my mind is what she could be meaning. I have to finish my business on this floor and head to the tenth floor. Now, where is the boss?

*Kkkwww Aaarrrggghhh!"

How convenient, the scream alerts me to a gigantic lizard at a distance. Since it has made itself known, it would be rude not to respond.

I activate my skill and shoot towards the [floor boss]. Our battle is short and uneventful, as I'm able to put it down quickly. Maybe if they had skills and used them, the results would have been different.

It's not like I'm complaining since their lack of skills makes it easier for me.

I summon the gate, and the tenth floor is within my sights. Here I come. I announce as I dash towards the unknown.

Don't forget to leave a 💜


16