Chapter 14 – Moonlight’s Blade
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been some time ago now. The sky had grown dark as Liessa and Aliana traveled along the vast roads of the Emerald Plains. They stopped to make camp, giving both themselves and their horses a chance to rest for the night.

"That's a good girl," Aliana said, patting her horse on the side in between brushing through the mare's coat to clean the accumulated sweat from the day's ride. Liessa, already finished with her horse's grooming, turned to the matter of a campfire for the night. Something would be needed to ward off predators of the fields, after all.

"Come this time tomorrow, we'll be enjoying a warm meal in Fellsdale again," Liessa said, tying her long blonde hair back with a ribbon before setting to work with sticks and tinder to start a fire.

Aliana was eager to return to Fellsdale. It was a small village along the southern reaches of the plains and had little more to offer than rest and drink for weary travelers who passed through, but the people there were pleasant and friendly. They remembered Aliana and Liessa fondly for the time they'd stopped a series of thefts taking place in the village. The villagers barely had anything to offer as a reward, but Liessa had insisted nothing of the sort would be necessary. And so instead, the people always made up for it with their finest food and drink.

Tonight, however, the pair would be sleeping outside an oddity in the fields and hills. Aliana glanced over, beyond where her horse stood, to an odd stone building the makeshift camp sat by.

It was clearly an old structure. It was a simple building of worn stone, much of which had developed cracks and indentations from the elements over the years. The roof of the building stretched out from the main structure, edges held up by pillars and forming an extended overhang around the building's front and sides. With clouds cast over the night sky above, Liessa had suggested she and Aliana make camp there for the evening, using the overhang as shelter from the impending rain.

Aliana was uneasy about this building. To her, it looked to perhaps be a tomb of some sort, but as neither woman could open the heavy stone doors that had no handle and did not budge, no confirmation could be made. To be safe, the pair had placed a bundle of flowers by the doors and offered a prayer to any that may occupy the building in return for the two of them making shelter here for the night. There was no intent to do anything to the building itself, after all, as the two would depart once dawn came. Earlier than Aliana cared to be awake, but all the better to be gone from this eerie place.

"There, that should do," Liessa announced in a cheery voice once a fire ignited in the stone-ringed firepit she had built. The small flame quickly caught onto the sticks of kindling that she’d provided it, and soon developed into a strong enough flame to provide warmth. "Not the coziest place to spend the night, but a chance to stay dry is better than nothing."

Aliana nodded and smiled, leading her horse underneath the stone roof. "Good enough for now, then. Besides, the lamb flank that Fellsdale has will make all of this worth it!" she said with a laugh. With her horse settled, she turned to the fire and sat down, combing a few fingers through her hair. Some tangles had already formed thanks to the humidity of the approaching rain. Wonderful.

The night was a quiet one. Eventually, the rain began to fall from the sky, pattering on the stone rooftop above. Aliana fetched a brush from her supplies and sat by the fire while she worked the snarls out of her hair. These days had all been quiet, save for her conversations with Liessa. And, occasionally, input from Seraphim as well. Aliana's attention fell to the sword that Liessa wore on her belt.

"Aliana..." Liessa began after some time, "There's something I've been discussing with Seraphim recently."

"Hm?" Aliana looked up to meet Liessa's eyes.

Liessa smiled so warmly at Aliana, as she always did. "You've grown up into a fine young woman, you know. Your swordsmanship's been improving lately as well, I can tell."

Aliana felt some heat rush to her cheeks at the praise. "Well, I've had a good teacher, so that's no surprise! Where's this coming from, though?"

Liessa's hand drifted to Seraphim's hilt. "I've been doing this for many years now. Traveling. Fighting. Earning my keep that way and helping people where I could. When I was younger, I always fancied the idea of being a 'knight errant' like in the stories I'd grown up with..." She sighed lightly. "I'm not so young now, though."

"What do you mean? Of course, you are! You don’t even look old enough to be my mother."

"Don't exaggerate, Aliana. Though I appreciate the flattery. I've still got plenty of years ahead of me, you're right, but... All of the battles, all of the injuries I've had... Those add up."

Aliana was silent now, listening to Liessa say these things. It was true, Liessa had suffered any number of injuries over the years. Bleeding, torn muscles, broken bones... Many of them had healed up well, though some required aid from what magic the occasional priest of Opal could provide. Liessa had always shaken off her injuries and persisted. But underneath Liessa's armor or the confident way she carried herself, the toll of the years hadn't gone unnoticed to Aliana. Liessa did not move quite as fast as she once did, not quite as gracefully. That fact was hidden well by the power Seraphim lent her, of course, and so Liessa could still fight better than most people Aliana had known in her life. That did not change the fact that the differences were there, however.

"Children fall and get back up, Aliana," Liessa said. "That's how they learn. Not that you're a child anymore, exactly, but I... I certainly am far past that. I can't keep getting up when I fall."

There was a pause between Aliana and Liessa for a moment.

"I don't intend to retire from this lifestyle just yet. But Seraphim and I thought that it may almost be time for them to take on a new wielder."

"A new..." The words failed Aliana and she cleared her throat. "You–you're talking about me?"

Liessa nodded. "You've always wanted to, haven't you?"

She was right, but Aliana hadn't thought that time would be now, or soon, or anywhere within her grasp. "I just..."

"You can take your time to think about it, Aliana. I know it's plenty of responsibility to take on a weapon like this. You know Seraphim likes you, though."

"R... Right. Right, I know."

Aliana tried to think of something further to say, something more to add to her response. Was she ready for that? To be the one who held a great sword forged from the benevolent Opal's scale? There was a legacy behind this weapon, after all. Seraphim was a weapon, a being, that lent their power only to those who were worthy and trusted to do what was right.

Then, Aliana's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the horses. The horses whinnied and shuffled in place, an obvious discomfort taking hold of them. Aliana and Liessa both stood from where they sat, trying to spot what it was that had upset the animals. Then, in the sky, Aliana spotted movement against the clouds. She had almost missed it in the dark night sky.

"What is... is that a drake?" She wondered, pointing out the shape to Liessa and drawing the sword on her waist. Liessa placed a hand on Seraphim’s hilt but did not yet draw the weapon herself. Doing so now would shed more light than the campfire already did, potentially making the camp more readily visible, so Liessa waited first. The shape in the sky slipped out of Aliana's view for a moment as the panic of the horses grew stronger. Then, faster than something so high in the sky should have been capable of, the thing appeared again, diving to the ground before the two women. The thing was little more than a dark mass, and the horses tried to gallop away in terror only for Aliana's mare to begin its flight too close to the creature. In an instant, the darkness of this thing had stretched out like a spear and pierced through the horse's torso before dropping it to the ground to thrash about.

"No!" Aliana shouted at the sight of her horse’s death. Her initial reaction was quickly overshadowed, however, as her mind hurriedly tried to place what this creature was. She was unable to make out details in this wretched form of shadow.

Liess, at last, drew Seraphim from their sheath. The bright light from the weapon's brilliant white blade illuminated the field around her as her own horse disappeared into the shadows and hills of the night. The light did little to make any part of this monster's form more visible, however, as if its darkness absorbed all light that touched it. It responded by shifting into a silhouette that bore limbs–how many, Aliana could not count–and charged forward at the two women before it. Aliana reacted just quickly enough to dive out of the way from this thing and Liessa had already sidestepped its attack. One of the creature's limbs formed into a scythe-like claw as it charged and lashed out. It succeeded only in connecting with the stone building behind them. It struck with such force that one of the stone doors was shattered with a deafening crack. The top half of the door toppled to the ground.

For an instant, panic flashed through Aliana’s mind as her subconscious tried to warn her of what damage a creature that strong could do to a human body. She knew now was no time to dwell on that, however. She rolled and quickly hopped up to her feet.

Aliana swung her sword at another shadowy limb that whipped just narrowly past her. The blade passed through the limb. She felt some resistance as if cutting through some viscous liquid, but there was no visible harm to the creature once the blade had come out the other side. Her attack had done nothing. What was this thing?

The creature paid her no mind, though. It, as best as Aliana could tell, faced Liessa, whose armor and clothing had changed to the spectral ornate design that Seraphim's power provided. She lunged for the thing, thrusting Seraphim straight towards it with both hands. The creature gripped Seraphim with a claw, struggling with Liessa to redirect the sword despite the great strength it had displayed in damaging the building.

Aliana took a step towards it. She needed to help Liessa, and her body reacted on its own, though her mind frantically tried to tell her that there was nothing she could do but flee from this monster. She did not know what she intended to do as she plunged her sword into the creature’s back to no effect–the creature did not resist the attack, nor did it show any signs of pain. It did not seem to even acknowledge her at first. But then, more amorphous limbs stretched out from its form.

Aliana reflexively moved to parry a limb swiping at her with her weapon. Again the sharp edge of the sword did not pain the limbs of shadow, but the resistance provided against the monster’s "flesh" gave her enough time to duck out of the way. Liessa, however, was not so fortunate. Though she was able to slash through the limbs of the creature with Seraphim's power, the beast was gaining the advantage on her, advancing upon her and forcing her backward. From where Aliana stood, she could only watch in horror as she realized she could not help.

'The woman who wields the sword of light shall die.’

Words had wormed their way into Aliana's head and spoken to her in a whisper, but they were not her own mind's doing.

'She stands no chance against such a creature... Unless, of course, you wish to help her.'

At those words, Aliana's attention snapped away from Liessa and to her surroundings, frantically searching for the source of it. "What do you mean?" she demanded to know. "How do I help her?!"

'Inside.'

Inside? Aliana looked to the building, to the half of the door that had been knocked off from the wall by the beast's attacks. She moved quickly, hoisting herself up over the lower half of the door to climb into the building. The interior of the stone structure was dark. Aliana could not make out any shapes.

'Come to me,' the voice urged. 'Accept my power.'

"I don't know where you–" Aliana's words halted. She felt something in her mind tell her where to step in this darkness as if guiding her. She walked forward. "What are you?"

'I am Moonlight,' the voice answered, 'and I have a request for you.'

"What... what is it?"

'I wish to live. I wish to claim your life as my own.'

Aliana's blood ran cold, her throat dry. "My..." She tried to understand. What threatening form of being was this 'Moonlight' thing? It wanted to kill her?

'I am not alive. I never have been. I wish to experience life, and I wish for you to offer me yours.'

"N... No..." Aliana tried to take a step back, but her body refused to listen. Was it her fear or some hold this being had over her? Whatever guided her was telling her to reach her hand forward. She did not want to. Terror rose in her chest and tears stung her eyes. "No, I..."

'The woman will die.'

This being was right. Aliana knew that.

'One of you will die... But for you, it will not be now. I will give you time, first. Time for my powers to grow. Will you let her die here, now? A bloody and meaningless death? Or will you save her, and allow your death to mean my life?'

Aliana tried to think. Tried to respond, tried to make any sense of this, but her mind was blank. She did not know what to do. But she reached forward, her hand trembling as she gripped the hilt of a sword in the darkness.

'Do you accept my terms?' Moonlight asked.

Aliana’s throat had gone dry. But she knew she had to answer. “I… I do.”

'Then I grant you my power to use.' With those words, a dim glow appeared in the darkness, granting Aliana sight to her immediate surroundings. Before her, a sword lay on a stone altar, its crystal-translucent blade shimmering with a faint silver light like that of its namesake. Holding the hilt of the weapon in her hand, despite her terror, Aliana felt its power for the first time. The cold power flowing through her body like water running down a stream. She had no time for questions or concerns. She turned, running outside this building and out into the night.

Aliana emerged from the dark structure just in time to witness the shadow beast and Liessa charge towards each other, each with intent to strike first. But it was the monster that one their clash. More tendrils of darkness struck out from its amorphous form, each one stretching out hands tipped with pointed claws. Liessa ducked and weaved through most and tried to parry another, but the attacks came from too many angles. One hand of claws slipped past her defenses and pierced through the armor on her sword arm and Liessa let out a cry of pain. The creature gripped down on her upper arm then. In one swift motion, it whipped the limb out and threw Liessa as if she were a mere plaything. She hit the ground, rolling with her momentum, and Seraphim clattered onto the ground just out of her immediate reach.

“Liessa!” Aliana called out. She ran forward just as the monster tried to advance on Liessa once more. Aliana intercepted the thing’s path and allowed the power flowing from the Moonlight sword to guide her.

The weapon spoke to her. 'We shall kill this beast.'

Aliana swung the weapon and found it was light, moving easily along with her. Perhaps it moved on its own in a way. A part of her wondered if it felt this way to wield Seraphim as well.

The creature was forced to acknowledge Aliana at last. It raised more tendrils of darkness to defend itself. The blade of this translucent sword sliced through them with ease. This time, however, the tendrils were lopped off and landed on the ground below. They melted into black puddles in the grass. The shadow beast made no sound but recoiled in visible pain, writhing frantically.

Liessa tried to push herself up from the ground, but blood poured from her upper arm underneath her armor. The ornate form of her armor had faded now with Seraphim no longer able to supply their power to her.

"Seraphim!" Liessa shouted, reaching out for the weapon with her good hand. Aliana leaped forward, thrusting the Moonlight sword at the monster. This time, however, the shadow fled backward just out of the sword’s arc with this next attack. It moved to the side and, before Aliana could react, had slipped around her.

Aliana whirled around, bringing Moonlight about in another wide arc that followed her movement. The sword reached the monster’s back, cutting through the shadow and splattering more dark liquid to the ground. The monster did not retaliate, however.

The glow of Seraphim on the ground intensified. But the monster was upon Seraphim before they Draconic power, blocking Liessa from the sword. The monster reached out with a coil of darkness, pulling Seraphim into its amorphous form.

Wings sprouted from the creature's back. Aliana thrust the weapon in her hands forward. But the monster took off into the air mere moments before the blade could connect.

"No!" Aliana screamed after the beast. "No! Come back here!"

But, with the creature flying away, all Aliana or Liessa could do was watch the thing disappear into the clouds above, Seraphim vanishing with it.


There was silence in the guest room of Lady Elcevier's mansion. Misha said nothing, both she and Grey listening and waiting intently for the rest of the tale that Aliana told. Eventually, Aliana brought herself to finish the story, the words coming to her slowly as she struggled with them.

"After... After that, we discussed what to do. Liessa wanted to look for Seraphim. But after what she'd told me, and after she was hurt in that battle, I couldn't let her do that. She wanted me to inherit Seraphim from her, after all, so... I should be the one to do this, shouldn't I? Besides, I..." Aliana cast a melancholy glance to Moonlight where the weapon lay in its sheath, sat atop a desk across the room. "I need to, after making a deal with that thing... I only have so long left. I need to do something worthwhile with that."

"Does Liessa know?" Misha asked finally.

Aliana shook her head. "I didn't tell her. She knows it's magic, obviously, but I just said I found it there in that building. Not... Not that it speaks or... that it..."

‘Do you fear she will judge you for your decision, Aliana?’ Moonlight’s whispering voice said in Aliana’s mind. ‘I respect your choice greatly.’

Aliana ignored the thing’s comment.

Misha ran her small hand along the edge of the wooden pendant she’d been wearing around her neck. “Maybe… Maybe Lady Elcevier knows a way to help?”

Aliana was reluctant to answer that, but with Misha looking at her, there was no way to avoid it. “Maybe she will. I don’t know if we should ask her about it now, though.”

“What?” Misha asked. “But if anyone would know how to–“

Aliana cut her off hurriedly. “It’s fine, Misha.”

“’Fine?’

“Well, I mean–it’s not fine, I know, but… Please, listen. What is she supposed to do? Can she find a way to save me while she’s figuring out how to fix the shards? I want to ask for her help, I do. But she’s one person and saving me would distract from her research–and that scale is this only hope I have right now of finding Seraphim. What if Lady Elcevier can’t help me in the end? What if it’s a waste of time, and it costs us the chance to get Seraphim back? What if it costs us the forest, Misha?”

“But…” Misha began, but her grip tightened on the pendant, and she said no more.

Aliana looked to Grey. “The two of you need to save your home. I… I made my choice. I can’t put my life over everything else.“

Grey held eye contact with Aliana and answered with a low rumble in his throat.

“Do you know how… how long you have?” Misha asked softly.

Aliana had often tried not to think of that question, and it made her skin crawl and her throat tighten to hear it asked aloud.  "I'm not sure, Moonlight hasn't said exactly. But it has told me its powers get stronger with the moon... Each full moon that passes. Maybe a few months, then?"

“I don’t like this, Aliana. I’d like to ask Lady Elcevier, so we can at least have somewhere to start.” Misha slipped the necklace off over her head and held it out to Aliana. “But if you’re going to insist, then I’d like you to take this, at least.”

Aliana accepted the necklace, holding the wooden pendant in the palm of her hand. “But this is yours.”

Misha shook her head. “It’s for protection, and good luck. I’d like to make more for all of us once I can find the ingredients, but right now, you need it the most.”

Aliana closed her fingers over the pendant. It made her feel just a bit more at ease when Misha put it like that. She smiled. “Thank you, Misha.”

Misha nodded. “I don’t care what it takes. We’ll find a way to help you.”

2