Chapter 6: Little Devil
102 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the early hours of the morning when the natural cold of the night was at its highest point, and the yin energies of the world permeated everything, a single silhouette was basking in the bright moonlight by a small ornamental pond.

In his previous life, Ren Yao had cultivated several True Yin methods, one of the earlier ones being Swallowing the Moonlight Pearl Drop but he’d later given that up for the advanced Jade Rabbit Elixir and the Lunar Water Osmanthus scriptures.

Of course, no matter how close he got to True Yin Tactics they were always flawed as he couldn’t purge the very foundations of his cultivation which he’d built on the standard yang based cultivation techniques.

Another white misty breath escaped as he gave a forlorn sigh reminiscing in his memories.

After a prolonged period the chill of the night eventually penetrated his body, and he gave an involuntary shiver. He turned and headed back to his room, before he’d have been able to bask in ancient glacial waters and not be affected. His current cultivation base was troubling, and he had several busy days ahead.

The sun was up, and the guards were in the practice field, their enthusiastic cries echoing since the early morning.

If anyone unfamiliar with the Estates practice ground looked closely, they would be able to make out at least three distinct groups of people.

The first a medium sized group dressed in nothing but a pair of blue trousers and a headband, both so laden with sweat that they were sticking closely to their wearers. These were the Estates Guards commonly referred to as the Household troops.

The next, and by far the largest, were dressed similarly but decked out in dark red attire.

They were mostly made up of older burly gentlemen who proudly displayed there scarred bodies under the morning sun. These were old soldiers who had served with the Old Patriarch but could not secure a higher position within the military.

Instead, these veterans were transferred to his son and put to use as the Capitals police force and gate guard.

The last group were dressed in black and only numbered a few dozen.

However, the members of the Black Tiger guard were training twice as hard as the rest of those on the large practice field. For two main reasons. The first; was that they were trying to sweat out the stench of the Young Lords black bath.

The second; was because they still felt grieved at not being able to protect the Young Lord.

Resulting in his current state as less than a man.

When the robed figure of the Young Lord appeared on the observation platform, overlooking the entire practice grounds, they all stopped and saluted him. He gave a slight head nod and summoned away his guards.

They reappeared at the manors main gates fully armoured and ready to follow the Young Lord anywhere.

“Today I need to go shopping, have Steward Wan hand over what remains of my purse.”

One of the nearest soldiers bowed and headed inside to fetch the old steward.

When Old Wan heard the latest request of his young Master, he paled slightly thinking how it had been only a few days since he’d thought there was a definite change, but now that he’d rested it looked like the Young Lord was going back to his familiar ways.

He let out a sigh and motioned to the young man by his side.

“Listen to Xiao Wan, treat this as a test. You must keep a reign on the Young Lords spending and get receipts for each purchase. If you can’t do this then, hmph hmph, see if you eat for the next three weeks.”

The young man he had spoken to was a quick-witted teen that the estate had employed. It was no secret that the old steward was grooming this young man as his successor for the Young Lords generation.

He cherished the boy like he was his own son, so much so that the boy had long since taken the older man’s surname.

As he grasped the embroidered silk purse, the young steward in-training could feel its weight, the weight of his task that was as heavy as the trust his adopted father had in him. The Black Tiger guard ushered him to the front of the mansion and the awaiting procession.

“Young Lord, I have brought the Little Devil.”

Ren Yao looked over the youth.

A healthy glow and an intelligent light were noticeable in the full face, the traces of manhood were starting to show around the jawline and brows. The simple scholarly robes gave the young man a clean and presentable air as he saluted.

“Young Lord, this Xiao Wan is to play your purse today.”

The young servant had heard the grumbling of his benefactor every evening about the infamous Young Master and his ability to spend large sums of money like it was ox hairs or peddles on the roadside.

However, contrary to the exasperation or the browbeating he had expected to receive the Young Lord said nothing but waited for him to take his position in the procession.

On a typical trip around town, the Young Lord would ride one of the Estates fine and noble horses, but given the extent of his injuries this was ill-advised, and so the whole procession set off on foot. The young Lord was riding in a palanquin with the little servant jogging briskly slightly behind.

As they drew nearer the market place, the small screen window of the shoulder carriage opened slightly. The procession slowed, and the young servant advanced to receive instruction.

“I have decided to buy some new clothes. Since the house staff usually handles this, I trust you can direct me to a reputable shop.”

The young boy thought for a moment.

Naturally, as the next steward, he was learned in all the best shops of the capital.

“Naturally, this isn’t a problem, my Lord, but your father has set a strict budget for the purchase of such non-essentials.”

“Cheap and pretty instead of over-priced and tacky as long as it’s beautiful then I am not concerned.”

Once again, the young servant was surprised by the contradictory behaviour of the Young Lord. Had his injury affected his upper head as well as his lower one?

The window closed and the procession moved on, this time the little servant was running near the head of the line, guiding the burly soldiers through the streets of the capital towards one of the more exquisite textile houses.

0