Chapter 1: Skill Selection
579 4 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was floating in the darkness when I heard.

 

“Distribute Skill Points before reviving in Gaia.”

 

Looks like I have no choice but to live in that otherworld called [Gaia]. I hope it’s not some unlivable place. Anyway, I should finish this since I don’t know if there’s a time limit.

 

“That silly cat. Anyway, let’s see. [Status].”

 

 


Name: Victor              Race: Cait Sith          Sex: Male       Age: 1

Proficiency: None    

Title:   Jack-of-All-Trades, Unfortunate Guy, Cat Maniac,

Survivor of Misfortune, Follower of Fluffy, Exorcist,

Demon Slayer

Class: None

Level: 1

Skill Points: 5

Attributes:

  • Strength: B
  • Vitality: D
  • Endurance: B
  • Agility: B
  • Dexterity: B
  • Intelligence: A
  • Magic: A
  • Luck: F

 

Skills

  • Passive: [Strength Up Lvl 3] [Stamina Recovery Up Lvl 5] [Physical Damage Resistance Lvl 3] [Poison Resistance Lvl 2] [Fatigue Resistance Lvl 5] [Hunger Resistance Lvl 3] [Intuition Lvl 2] [Meditation Lvl 5] [Enhanced Holy Attack Lvl 3] [Holy Aptitude Lv 5] [+]
  • Active: [Negotiation Lvl 5] [Melee Combat Lvl 3] [Blade Combat Lvl 2] [Cooking Lvl 3] [Grooming Lvl 10] [Stealth Lvl 2] [Intimidation Lvl 2] [Construction Lvl 4] [Crafting Lvl 3] [Riding Lvl 1] [Persevere Lvl 3] [Prayer Lvl 5] [Exorcism Lvl 5] [+]
  • Unique: [Hunter's Blessing] [Enlightened] [Deft Hands] [Jack-of-All-Trades] [Self Status] [Carnivora] [Sanguis Felinidae] [Devotion] [+]

 

Special

  • Follower of Fluffy

 

 

I tapped the words on my status.

 


Cait Sith -        A magical race of bipedal cats. Closely related to spirits and fairies. Known for mischievousness and trickery.

Possesses high magical aptitude and intelligence.

                        Grants the unique skills [Carnivora] [Sanguis Felinidae].

 

Carnivora -      A skill that boosts abilities when hunting prey.

Sanguis Felinidae -     A skill unique to Cait Sith and Feline Beastmen. Allows the acquisition of Feline skills.


 

Oh, that’s kind of cute. I don’t know how strong I am in that world, but I hope I can survive using these skills. Also, have I been that unlucky?

 

So what’s this Proficiency?

 

 


Proficiency -    Determines the skills that can be acquired.


 

Well, looks like I am proficient in nothing. I hope I can still find good skills. Let me see the effects of these titles

 


Title -   Acquired by accomplishing certain conditions. Can grant new skills and affect attributes.

 

Jack-of-All-Trades -    Condition: gain knowledge on crafting, fighting, and research.

Effect: Grants the skill [Jack-of-All-Trades]

Jack-of-All-Trades – A skill that makes all skills available but locks advanced-proficiency skills. Skills can be unlocked by fulfilling certain conditions.

Unfortunate Guy -       Condition: suffer misfortune after misfortune.

Effect: You have been unlucky all your life and your luck is stuck at F. You can’t die from curses and negative status effects. Your suffering is a comedy act.

 

Cat Maniac -   Condition: be loved by all cats you encounter after reaching [Grooming Lvl 10].

                        Effect: gives a positive impression to all felines and feline-like creatures.

 

Survivor of Misfortune -          Condition: Suffer continuous negative status effect for a year.

Effect: Grants [Intuition] increases level improvement of all resistance skills.

Intuition – A skill that grants the sixth sense for increasing the chance of survival.

 

Follower of Fluffy -      Condition: Be liked by Fluffy.

          Effect: Grants special status [Follower of Fluffy]

 

Exorcist -         Condition: Dispel negative status through [Prayer].

                        Effect: Grants [Devotion], [Exorcism] and the ability to learn Holy skills

Devotion – A skill that boosts efficacy and area of effect of [Prayer] and Holy skills.

Exorcism – A skill that adds a purification effect on [Prayer] and Holy skills.

 

Demon Slayer -           Condition: Kill people branded as demons.

Effect: Increases damage against evil creatures. Evil creatures hate you on sight.


 

My titles are very weird and what’s with the title [Unfortunate Guy]? At least I won’t die from negative status since my suffering is considered entertainment. I have no idea about [Follower of Fluffy], it’s too vague. Still, I feel happy that fluffy liked me a lot though.

 

 

So is Class like the classes in RPG games or something else?

 


Class -             Grants bonus on class-related skills and improves ability when using class-related equipment.


 

 

I now understand that Class is pretty much the epitome of Class in RPGs

 

The Attributes and most of the Skills seem self-explanatory. That is, except for [Prayer], [Meditation], [Hunter's Blessing], [Enlightened] and [Deft Hands]

 


Prayer -           A skill that gives a person the ability to invoke effects by reciting prayers to a Patron or God. Effect and duration increase with an increase in level.

Meditation -     A skill that increases success whenever the caster is in a focused state. The effect increases with an increase in level.

Hunter’s Blessing -     A skill that raises ability whenever hunting someone considered as “prey”.

Enlightened -   Increases ability to improve skills and memorize knowledge.

Deft Hands -    A skill that boosts performance when using bare hands, small tools, or small weapons.


 

The skills seem to suit a thief or craftsman. Those might become my Class in the otherworld. I should keep moving forward.

 

After looking at my stats, I noticed the “[+]” symbols and tapped them with what used to be my hand.

 

“Fluffy really turned me into a cat.”

 

Anyway, once I tapped the symbol and it revealed to me the available skills. There are magic skills and combat arts. I also saw skills like [Appraisal]. Some cost a single skill point while the others cost 50 skill points.

 

So I looked at the magic-related skills. I should have some defensive magic or skills and some attack magic or skills too. I should also find passives to complement the skills I choose too. [Appraisal] is also a must so I don’t accidentally poison myself.

 

I guess I’ll choose [Barrier Magic Lvl 1] [Life Magic Lvl 1] [Mana Recovery Lvl 1] [Appraisal Lvl 1] [Language Comprehension Lvl 1]. They all cost 1 skill point to acquire and I don’t think I have enough to raise them higher.

 

 

“Well that’s done I guess. Now what?”

 

 

As soon as I uttered those words I once again lost consciousness.

 

 



 

In another plane of existence in the eyes of an incomprehensible being,

 

 

 

“Hehe… He really is something. It was quite sometime when I met someone as messed up as him.” (Fluffy)

 

 

Living on Earth with you has been quite an adventure. There have been very few people who I can consider as Interesting. Very few have been born under such a chaotic star. Whether you live a righteous life or the path of debauchery, I know I’ll be entertained watching you.

 

 

“Enjoy my gifts friend.” (Fluffy)

 

As the Evil God’s follower gazes on the world of Gaia, a wicked smile spreads across its furry face. Its cute and docile face resembles a predatory lion and not the playful cat that it usually pretends to be. And as its paws touch the hazy image of Gaia a glint of something serious passes across its face.

 



 

When I woke up I noticed that Fluffy didn’t send me to this world unarmed and vulnerable. I had a cloth shirt and trousers and some leather armor and gauntlets. There’s also a dagger, flint, and a pouch with some kind of poultice or ointment, some bandages, and three vials of what could be a potion inside.

 

I have a weapon, armor, and some supplies. I don’t know where I am and there’s a nagging feeling that I should find somewhere to hide.

 

So I collect everything I have and hang the pouch like a necklace that’s hidden behind my leather armor.

 

Looking at the lush and dense trees surrounding me. I quickly searched for a tree with a “good feeling” and tried to climb up. Unsurprisingly, it was easy. I was not just cat-like based on how my hands (paws) and face feel. I was very cat-like except for my paws that are more articulate than a normal cat’s. I am also able to stand upright though I feel like I shrunk quite a lot.

 

While I was ruminating about my appearance I heard footsteps from a distance. They sound like multiple barefooted children walking about and roaming the forest. Though I doubt children would be walking in such a dark forest. So I readied my dagger and waited for the group to come near the tree I’m hiding at.

 

My eyes were fixated on a direction among the dense trees and tall bushes. I don’t have any clue but my mind is buzzing with the need to look at that place

 

 

“Gyaa! Gyaa!” (Goblin)

 

“(Though I hoped to fight a slime first. A goblin is still a staple of the fantasy genre.)”

 

 

I waited until I saw the group of goblins come out of the bushes. There were about four goblins that came out of the bushes. So I readied my knife and prepared to leap at any time.

 

As soon as they walked under my tree I leaped at the goblin in the pack. I stabbed it through the eye and the goblin died immediately. Without missing a beat, I swung the dagger and slashed the neck of the nearest one, while the other two goblins panicked and the other lay on the ground dying.

 

 

“Gyaa! Guuuu...” (Goblin 1)

 

“Gyaa! Gyaa!” (Goblin 2)

 

 

Just as I was going to stab the other goblin, the other one kicked me from behind. I tried to dodge it but I still got hit. Maybe, I wasn’t fully in sync with my new body.

 

 

“Gyaabo!” (Goblin 3)

 

 

I quickly fixed my stance and leaped to the goblin that kicked me. It was just about to beat me with its gnarly fists.

 

 

“Ugh!”

 

 

So I closed in and stabbed that goblin from its side. And it was apparently a terrible move. My dagger was stuck on the goblin’s side after it tensed up and grabbed the dagger.

 

Now I was unarmed and there’s still a goblin alive. I’m not planning on letting it gain the upper hand. So I picked the nearest rock and threw it on its face.

 

 

*Smack!*

 

“Gaaaa!” (Goblin 4)

 

 

Hearing the sound of a watermelon being bashed, I grab my dagger from the goblin laying on the ground. I pulled it and threw it towards the remaining goblin.

 

The dagger flew straight to the goblin’s chest, piercing its heart.

 

 

“Gyii!” (Goblin 4)

 

“Phew.”

 

 

That was nerve-wracking. I never thought that it would be hard to move my new body. I am now a cat, Cait Sith for Fluffy’s sake. Anyway, I should try appraising them.

 

 

“[Appraisal]”

 

 

“4 x Goblin Corpses”

 

 

Huh. There must be something wrong there. Let me focus on just a single goblin.

 

 

“[Appraisal]”

 

 

“Goblin Copse”

 

 

What the f*ck is this? Is this all that [Appraisal Lvl 1] can do? Let me try it on a patch of grass.

 

 

“[Appraisal]”

 

 

“Common Weed”

 

 

“How about my dagger? [Appraisal]”

 

 

“Iron Dagger”

 

 

“This vial! [Appraisal]”

 

 

“Weak Mana Potion”

 

 

“Oh, it’s not completely useless. At least I’d know if I had a bottle of poison on my hand.”

 

 

That scared me for a bit. I thought I wasted my skill point but I didn’t totally waste it. It wasn’t as useful as I hoped but It can still be helpful. I should probably level it up though.

 

Now, how do I use magic? I have the skills but I don’t know any spells. I should see if there’s any change in my status.

 

 

“[Status]”

 


Name: Victor              Race: Cait Sith          Sex: Male       Age: 1

Proficiency: None    

Title:   Jack-of-All-Trades, Unfortunate Guy, Cat Maniac,

Survivor of Misfortune, Follower of Fluffy, Exorcist,

Demon Slayer

Class: None

Level: 2

Skill Points: 5

Attributes:

  • Strength: B
  • Vitality: D
  • Endurance: B
  • Agility: B
  • Dexterity: B
  • Intelligence: A
  • Magic: A
  • Luck: F

 

Skills

  • Passive: [Strength Up Lvl 3] [Stamina Recovery Up Lvl 5] [Physical Damage Resistance Lvl 3] [Poison Resistance Lvl 2] [Fatigue Resistance Lvl 5] [Hunger Resistance Lvl 3] [Intuition Lvl 2] [Meditation Lvl 5] [Enhanced Holy Attack Lvl 3] [Holy Aptitude Lv 5] [Mana Recovery Lvl 1] [Language Comprehension Lvl 1][+]
  • Active: [Negotiation Lvl 5] [Melee Combat Lvl 3] [Blade Combat Lvl 2] [Cooking Lvl 3] [Grooming Lvl 10] [Stealth Lvl 2] [Intimidation Lvl 2] [Construction Lvl 4] [Crafting Lvl 3] [Riding Lvl 1] [Persevere Lvl 3] [Prayer Lvl 5] [Exorcism Lvl 5] [Barrier Magic Lvl 1] [Life Magic Lvl 1] [Appraisal Lvl 1] [+]
  • Unique: [Hunter's Blessing] [Enlightened] [Deft Hands] [Jack-of-All-Trades] [Self Status] [Carnivora] [Sanguis Felinidae] [Devotion][+]

 

Special

  • Follower of Fluffy

 

 

Huh. So I leveled up and that single kick did more damage than I thought. More than a tenth of my health was gone, and it was just a glancing blow. This is bad.

 

At least I got 5 more skill points. I should probably take more defensive skills and boost [Appraisal].

 

So what do I choose? There are plenty to choose from. I should learn either [Evasion] or [Parry] but my strength isn’t that high. It might be hard to parry heavy attacks. Maybe [Enhanced Reflex] would be better. Leveling up [Intuition] is pretty good too. I suddenly sensed what to do without thinking. It’s the only skill that could have done that. But It costs 4 skill points so I can only level up [Appraisal] and take another defensive skill. I should also save some skill points just in case.

 

I should spend 2 on [Appraisal] and take [Evasion] and [Enhanced Reflex]. So I’ll keep an extra skill point just in case.

 

 

“Meh.”

 

 

I took [Enhanced Reflex] and leveled up [Intuition] instead.

 


Name: Victor              Race: Cait Sith          Sex: Male       Age: 1

Proficiency: None    

Title:   Jack-of-All-Trades, Unfortunate Guy, Cat Maniac,

Survivor of Misfortune, Follower of Fluffy, Exorcist,

Demon Slayer

Class: None

Level: 2

Skill Points: 0

Attributes:

  • Strength: B
  • Vitality: D
  • Endurance: B
  • Agility: B
  • Dexterity: B
  • Intelligence: A
  • Magic: A
  • Luck: F

 

Skills

  • Passive: [Strength Up Lvl 3] [Stamina Recovery Up Lvl 5] [Physical Damage Resistance Lvl 3] [Poison Resistance Lvl 2] [Fatigue Resistance Lvl 5] [Hunger Resistance Lvl 3] [Intuition Lvl 3] [Meditation Lvl 5] [Enhanced Holy Attack Lvl 3] [Holy Aptitude Lv 5] [Mana Recovery Lvl 1] [Language Comprehension Lvl 1] [Enhanced Reflex Lvl 1]
  • Active: [Negotiation Lvl 5] [Melee Combat Lvl 3] [Blade Combat Lvl 2] [Cooking Lvl 3] [Grooming Lvl 10] [Stealth Lvl 2] [Intimidation Lvl 2] [Construction Lvl 4] [Crafting Lvl 3] [Riding Lvl 1] [Persevere Lvl 3] [Prayer Lvl 5] [Exorcism Lvl 5] [Barrier Magic Lvl 1] [Life Magic Lvl 1] [Appraisal Lvl 1]
  • Unique: [Hunter's Blessing] [Enlightened] [Deft Hands] [Jack-of-All-Trades] [Self Status] [Carnivora] [Sanguis Felinidae] [Devotion]

 

Special

  • Follower of Fluffy

 

 

“Hmmm.”

 

 

I think I should go to where the goblins came from. I don’t know why, but I feel like I’m gonna get something if I go there. Oh well, time to go. I hope it’s something fluffy.

18