Chapter 7: A Short Rest
183 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~Felix’s Perspective~

 

 

“So, where’s Sir Victor?” (Felix)

 

“He’s sleeping in our parent’s room.” (Mia)

 

“He must be quite exhausted. Doing night watch and fighting alongside us during the morning must have really exhausted him.” (Felix)

 

“Sir Victor was like Father.” (Mia)

 

“But he’s not. We can’t live on the past Mia. Father is gone and we have to accept that.” (Felix)

 

“I know that. But still…” (Mia)

 

 

Mia was quite close to father, we both were. Father was the only one we both remember. Mother died when Mia was just a few months old. I was also quite young too. I can only remember the smell of flowers and spring and long black hair.

 

Father said Mia got mother’s face and I got her colors. It was nice to think that looking as we both look at each other a piece of Mother is somehow still with us.

 

We both have lots of mementos from father. Memories, our fist weapons, our first armor, and the life of an adventurer. Both of our parents were adventurers, but we’ve only learned being one from our father.

 

Most of the villagers are adventurers, craftsmen, and farmers. There are barely any merchants here aside from the single general store, and weapon and armorsmith. We have always been a self-sustaining, self-reliant village.

 

The only buildings that are not houses here are the small Temple, Smithery, General Store, Adventurer’s Guild, and Storage Building.

 

The Temple helps with healing and selling potions and medicine and acts as a shelter to hide during disasters. The smithery and general store sell us supplies like weapons, armors, tools and other necessary equipment. They are also the ones who trade with the traveling merchants and peddlers. The Storage Building is a place where surplus harvests from the fields are kept for emergency rations. It is handled by both the Temple, Village Chief, and the General Store owner.

 

Everyone has a job to do to support the village and as adventurers, we have very important jobs especially when it comes to the security of the entire village. Father said that the village militia protects the village from immediate danger, but the adventurers protect the village from future dangers.

 

Adventurer’s hunt and subjugates dangerous animals and monsters. We also scout the surrounding for any threat outside the range of the militia’s watchful eye. Merchants consider us as guards, keeping them safe from bandits. We’re also part of the militia during emergencies, especially since militias are made up of young would-be adventurers and retired and old adventurers.

 

People usually retire as militia when they are old or unable to act as an adventurer. Our father was not one of those people.

 

 

“Father died protecting the village. We should stop burdening father’s memories and let them rest. We can only count on ourselves now. Father is no longer here to save us when we make mistakes.” (Felix)

 

“I know that brother, but Sir Victor came and save us just like father.” (Mia)

 

“You realize that he’ll leave sooner or later right.” (Felix)

 

“I know that!” (Mia)

 

 

Mia cried. She’s really shaken, especially after that close encounter with that Lamia. I still feel unclean every time I remember that experience. I will never ever---

 

 

“Brother?” (Mia)

 

“What is it” (Felix)

 

“You look pale. Are you---” (Mia)

 

“I’m fine. I’m just tired. Let’s rest for now.” (Felix)

 

 

I will never let that thing happen again I promised myself. As my father’s son, I promise to live bravely like my father. Nothing can break me as long as Mia needs me.

 

I walked towards my room. Soon, I heard Mia walking towards her own room.

 

As I lie on my bed I send a prayer to Father and the Goddess.

 

 

“Thank you for sending Sir Victor to us.” (Felix)

6