Chapter 11: A Small Request
138 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The fluffy creature on top of my very human lap was my former cat Fluffy. Instinctively or reflexively, I rubbed Fluffy’s fluffy belly. It might have become a habit of mine but I am quite happy to give belly rubs to any fluff within fluffing range.

 

However,

 

 

“Why are you---No, why am I here Fluffy? Am I dead?”

 

 

I asked him as I continued rubbing his belly. He just looked at me like a satisfied cat who doesn’t care about a thing in the world.

 

I love him but he’ll always be an assh*le. I sigh and squished his toe beans as he nibbles on my fingers.

 

 

“Please answer me. Am I dead?”

 

 

I gestured at my now very human form then continued.

 

 

“I am human again when I have just been reincarnated as a Cait Sith. So, am I dead?”

 

 

Fluffy stopped nibbling on my fingers and now stared at me. His fluffy ears twitching and he started grooming himself. Then he said,

 

 

“You’re not dead. I just summoned your soul here. Don’t worry this place is disconnected from time so we can spend eternity here and not a second would pass in Gaia. Anyway---” (Fluffy)

 

 

He yawned cutely before rolling and falling on the white floor/ground/something.

 

 

“---I want you to make Dao Village your headquarter. You don’t have to stay there all the time but… it would be good if you stay there the majority of the year.” (Fluffy)

 

 

His request doesn’t sound terrible and I don’t think there’s a catch. However, there are some things I want to be answered. So I asked him.

 

 

 

“Did you send me there to save them?”

 

 

Fluffy looked at me and his tail swung and gestured me to follow.

 

As I followed behind him, I notice the white space shimmer and change. The white space became the Dao Forest outside the cave where Mia and Felix were held. The scene however was different. A white misty fog covers the place. Small glittering balls of light were floating everywhere.

 

No longer was the place looking like a dying forest. It now looked like a forest brimming with life. Wispy strands of green covered the bare earth. The gnarled trees now have small juvenile leaves. I couldn’t help but smile at the forest that looked like it was on its way to recovery.

 

Fluffy halted and sat his fluffy bottom on the ground. He talked to me without facing me.

 

 

“There are many things I want to request but just you being there would be enough. I know you would move to what I want as long as your desires are satisfied.” (Fluffy)

 

 

He started grooming himself as he continued talking.

 

 

“The believers would be safe since you are addicted to fluffy creatures. The villagers are also going to treat you nicer than others since you are a Cait Sith, a race-related to Alamid.” (Fluffy)

 

“So, you’re Alamid?”

 

 

I interjected. He only glanced at me before continuing

 

 

“It is one of my Aliases but all I care about is that Dao Village survives. That place holds a certain level of importance to me. So, just stay there and enjoy the fluffy crowd.” (Fluffy)

 

 

I sigh while answering, “Fine but---only if you answer some of my questions.”

 

 

“Hahaha! Sure, that’s a fair trade. But I can’t answer all of your questions. Especially the ones outside a mortal’s concern. Okay?” (Fluffy)

 

“Sure.” I acquiesced.

 

“Are there more of my kind?”

 

 

Fluffy acted like he’s thinking, but I believe he already knows the answer, he just doesn’t want to answer or he’s keeping me in suspense.

 

 

“There are some Cait Siths but you are closer to Spirits than Beastkins. So, there are only a few of you around. Your kind is also quite long-lived especially if you live in places where spirits thrive. As for Otherworlders---” (Fluffy)

 

 

He paused and resumed his grooming. He can really be such an assh*le.

 

Then he climbed at my shoulder and say, “You’re the only one I know personally.”

 

I then asked my next question, “Why do the prayers I learned from Earth have some effect here?”

 

 

“Well, it is your belief and mana being transformed and channeled by the being you offer the prayer to. They exist by the way. And that’s all you are getting from me. Next!” (Fluffy)

 

“How out of standard am I among the average person in Gaia?”

 

“You have the abilities of veteran adventurers. Next.” (Fluffy)

 

“What is with the lamia---”

 

“Next!” (Fluffy)

 

“Hey.”

 

“Next! Or you’re going back.” (Fluffy)

 

 

 

Once again, I acquiesce.

 

 

“Okay let me ask something, else then. Why are there no humans? Or are Apekins the humans of Gaia?”

 

“Yep. The Humans from the High Humans are called Apekins so that there would be no discrimination. The High Humans have great foresight.” (Fluffy)

 

“I guess people act like people, no matter what world you’re in.”

 

“That’s just the way it is.” (Fluffy)

 

 

I hoped Fluffy would disagree. It was wishful thinking but I hoped that this world would be less selfish than on Earth. I guess I just have to keep my eyes open and hope that my values wouldn’t clash with the next person I meet.

 

Earth’s history has been painted in blood. I hope to at least not worry about the people living in Gaia. I have good instinct with people since it was drilled to us by Father.

 

 

“Fluffy, what are skills exactly?”

 

“Skills are like rewards with bonus effects. You work hard you get a skill. However, once you stop using them, they will degrade until you lose them. So don’t stop using them.” (Fluffy)

 

“Oh. I see.”

 

“But it will take months or years of continuous abstinence before skills start degrading. And unless your body physically changed like you aged or lose a limb or something similar, you’ll be able to regain the reduced skill levels back, faster than when you first acquired them.” (Fluffy)

 

“So, in the event, I get severely injured but not permanently, I can get back up. Is that right?”

 

“Yep.” (Fluffy)

 

 

Those words removed some of the worries I suddenly had after Fluffy’s revelation on skills. I just need to not be permanently disabled.

 

 

“Is there a way for me to learn this world’s common sense or at least the basic knowledge needed to consider me safe to be left behind in this continent?”

 

“Easy. But I can’t tamper with your soul too much since you’re already attached to a body. I can’t just interfere and leave you unscathed from my tinkering. So this is what I’ll do, I’ll leave some materials in the Magic Bag you got from that cave.” (Fluffy)

 

 

With most of my questions answered. I should ask the question I’ve been tiptoeing on how to ask.

 

 

“So, are there Otherworlders you don’t personally know?”

 

 

Fluffy’s eyes had a subtle change and his presence felt like he’s only an illusion. Visually nothing changed but the air around us definitely did.

 

And as I lie in wait for Fluffy’s answer. He squinted and smiled in a way that seems impossible for his feline face. He then answered,

 

 

“Well, that’s for me to know and for you to find out. Tee~hee~!” (Fluffy)

 

 

Of course, he is true to his nature. Fickle and unpredictable.

 

 

“Though, I can see you meeting them. Just be careful in everything you do. Bye~ bye~!”

 

 

After indirectly confirming what I wanted to know, I felt the ground flip and I began to feel faint. Once I closed my eyes, the next moment I opened them, I was no longer in that white place.

 

I can see the two siblings praying beside me.

 

What a fickle and unpredictable cat.

4