Chapter 1: Dead and Alive
5.7k 4 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, new guy! Carry those to the 3rd floor.”

Keno looked at the stacks of wood blocks that he needed to carry to the third floor. He is a 22-year-old college student who is financially broke. He decided to work to continue his studies. However, the only job that he could find near his area is being a construction worker. Keno decided to accept the job rather than not having any money to support himself. Unfortunately, since he was the new guy on the site, all the hard labor jobs such as carrying materials ended up as his.

He has only been working for a week but his body is starting to break down. He was hurting all over. He knew that being a construction worker is hard work, he thought he was prepared for it both physically and mentally. But right now his body felt like lead. Every step he took felt more like adding suffering to his aching body.

“Bear with it. Bear with it. Tomorrow is payday.”

He kept mumbling this to himself like a mantra. It was his only saving grace at the moment. His motivation to continue doing his job. One step after another he carried the heavy load on his shoulders.

But did not notice the commotion going around him.

“OI! Watch out below!”

Sounds of heavy equipment were heard over the place. An accident happened as the crane lifting loads of metals gave in. It dropped its load to the unsuspecting construction workers from below. Many were wounded, while others were left disabled.

Only one person was accounted dead.

A young man of the age of 22 who was carrying a heavy load of wood blocks and unable to move away from the accident that had happened.

Primary investigations suspected the company for…

The news died down in a couple of days.

“What happened?”

Keno scratched his head and yawned as he opened his eyes. Looking around, he woke up in a familiar room.

“Well, this is nostalgic.”

He found himself lying in his old bed. Looking at the posters on the wall, the shelves filled with novels and figures. He knew it was his old room when he was a teen.

“What am I doing here? Did they bring me home after the accident?”

He stood up from his bed and stretched his body. He noticed that his body felt refreshed. The muscles that were in so much pain just yesterday disappeared.

He went to his bathroom to relieve himself. After which, as he was about to pass by his mirror, he could not help but to freeze as he watched his own reflection.

“What the hell.”

He touched his face.

Pinched himself.

Slap himself.

He continued abusing his face till it was all red.

“This is all real. What the fuck happened.”

Staring in front of the mirror was a young man who had similar features as his past self.

But!

There was a huge difference.

If his past self was average, then the face in front of the mirror is way above his old self.

He went out of his room as fast as he could and checked the items in the room.

“There is no mistake. This is my room. What the hell is going on?”

He stood still in the middle of the room, thinking of what is happening to him right now.

“Hey, Keno! Are you awake? You’ll be late to school if you keep dawdling around.”

A familiar voice. It has been a long time since he has heard her voice. He was about to go down the stairs as fast as he could when he heard what she said next.

“Me and your father will be gone in two weeks. Take care son.”

“Honey, come one. We’ll be late. You know Keno has always been bad in waking up early.”

“I know. But I wanted to see him before we leave.”

The closing of the door was heard while Keno was left standing at the door unable to see his mother’s face.

“Sigh, Never mind. It’s only 2 weeks and I’ll be able to see them again.”

He went back to his room to get changed when he heard the door opening again.

To his surprise, a beautiful girl was standing there while holding the door. Her eyes are wide-opened staring at Keno. He was about to put on his clothes when his door was suddenly bust open by the girl.

Keno was confused as to what the girl was doing in his room so early in the morning.

He was familiar with this beautiful girl.

Long black straight hair, black eyes, and red ruby lips. A person who is known in their entire school for being smart and beautiful. Her body has the right proportions which one can still discern even with her uniform.

He was in the middle of putting up his pants when he froze. He couldn’t help but ask.

“What are you doing here?”

The most beautiful smile came out from the girl's mouth. Her lips curved up which made Keno draw into her beauty.

“What do you mean? You’ve always been late waking up. I do this every day and you question me now?”

She had an amused smile on her face as she kept looking at the half-naked boy in front of her. Keno felt everything was supposed to be normal just from her reaction. He could not help but tell his past self to be more diligent in waking up earlier to avoid awkward situations like today. He moved as fast as he can to prepare himself. The girl continued to linger in his room, not even looking away at his body.

Keno suddenly felt chills crawling up his body. He looked at the only person in the room, but her facial expression is still the same.

“You done?”

Keno was not able to answer as he was pulled away by her. She dragged him outside of the house, to the streets. They continued walking the familiar streets that lead to their school.

Something is seriously wrong here? He tried remembering any kind of memory that his body might have but to no avail. The girl beside him is named Stephanie. He remembers her quite clearly as she was the talk of most of the boys in their class. However, they were not close. He was not even aware that they were neighbors in the past.

All he knew was he came back to the past but it might not be the same past as his old self.

 

40