Chapter 5
696 3 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s the 5th day of the wind month and Aurora could be seen sitting in her room watching over her sleeping brother while practicing her pronunciation.

 

“P-rr-ice…P-rr-ice…P-rr-ice what’s today’s price?”

 

*Click*

 

Suddenly Aurora heard the front door open and immediately got up to check running towards the door with her book and looking down the hallway towards the front door.

 

The way Aurora’s house was structured there was a front door with a hallway leading straight to the end of the house with two rooms on each side of the house.

 

The closest room on the left was used as both the bathroom and a place to do laundry while the room further back was used as the whole families main bedroom.

 

The closest room on the right however was where the family would often cook and prepare their food while the one further down is a spare room used for guests or for when Aurora’s parents wanted to be alone for the night.

 

After looking for a moment Aurora spots her mother who’s currently carrying a huge basket filled with dirty clothes she then puts it down next to her and greets Aurora.

 

“Hi honey how'd watching Damian go” she asked with both a gentle and kind smile.

 

Aurora didn’t really mind being talked down to like a child knowing it’s normal for a parent to talk like that when their child’s still young she just looked up at her and nodded “Good” she replied sounding a little shy.

 

After hearing her response Aurora’s mother just smiled and started to walk over while Aurora stopped leaning on the doorframe and went back into the room wondering if she sounded okay.

 

While walking towards the middle of the room however she felt something grab her from behind wrapping itself around her small body causing her to drop her book. She then felt something lightly lean itself on her right shoulder and immediately turned her head around to look noticing that it was her mother hugging her.

 

“Wh-What?” Aurora asked both shy and a little confused

 

“Nothing I just missed you”

 

“……”

 

And just like that Aurora’s mother broke her, she didn’t have the confidence to say anything else nor did she know what to say even if she did.

 

The two just stood there in complete silence for a moment before it was broken by her mother who stopped hugging her and stood up, Aurora then turned around and looked up at her.

 

“So do you wanna help me with all those dirty clothes in the hallway?” Her mother asked curious

 

“…Sure”

 

“Great! I’ll just grab Damian and bring him to the room while we work, just give me a minute” her mother told her before walking over and picking Damian up.

 

“Okay let’s go” Aurora’s mother then placed Damian so his head was gently resting on her shoulder, she then started heading towards the laundry passing by Aurora in the process who went to put her book away.

 

“You're getting better by the way, at talking I mean” Her mother said trying to sound supportive before leaving the room with Damian.

 

Aurora then set her book on the ground in the corner of the room looking flustered as she did so. She then started walking towards the bathroom.

 

After reaching the laundry door Aurora could see her mother placing Damian on a table like structure with guard rails that were there to keep him from falling onto the wet and dirty floor.

 

“Hey, can you grab me a pile while I prepare the water?” Her mother asked while looking in her direction

 

Aurora then nodded before pointing her attention towards the clothes walking over and grabbing a pile but before she brought them over she noticed something and stopped for a moment.

 

She then saw her mother move her hand over one of the wash buckets with her palm facing the opening of the bucket before closing her eyes and concentrating.

 

Suddenly water started to pour from her mother’s hand as if it came from nothing, even though Aurora’s seen her mother do this many times before she’s still always amazed by it so much so that one night she just walked up and asked her about it and her mother began to explained her the different types of magic.

 

The first and oldest source is what’s known as World Magic: World Magic is when someone manages to create a connection to the world itself and draws power from it allowing them to use magic. This is rare however as it's extremely difficult to build a connection to the world with less than one percent of Avalon’s population who have actually managed to do it.

 

The second and most common way to use magic is by using Blessings: Blessings are when people make deals with the gods themselves and gain a singular magical ability from them, although people who become blessed are limited in terms of variety it’s the power that blessings excel at for example if someone were to be blessed with the ability to move rocks that person would be able to lift much heavier rocks a lot faster then someone with world magic could. 

 

This is the type of magic Aurora’s mother uses having been blessed at the church when she was little. Unfortunately one needs money to be able to be blessed at the church and since the church are the only ones able to contact the gods themselves unless you somehow manage to encounter them another way which is incredibly rare, you can’t be blessed at all which is why the majority of the population can’t use magic, they either don’t have the talent or the money.

 

And for the reason as to why her mother doesn’t just sell water since if given the chance would sell pretty well is simply because it’s illegal. In order to keep the economy stable, the kingdoms court has made it so that any Magic user that tries to sell off what their magic had produced is fined and taken to the city jail. Her mother’s able to get away with it however by just using the water for herself and her family but if she started charging for the water itself and got caught it would only end badly.

 

The last and most frowned upon type of magic however is Dark Magic: Dark Magic is magic that some native species of Avalon are born with some common examples are Dark Elves, Demons and some species of Beastmen, dark Magic is a lot like world magic in terms of both raw power and variety but is looked down upon by the majority of the world mainly due to discrimination with most races seeing the ones with dark Magic as monsters that act against the Will of their gods.

 

Aurora didn’t think too much about the reasoning behind it however just labelling it as another unfortunate problem in the world and left it at that.

 

She then grabbed the clothing and walked towards her mother before setting them down between the two and getting to work.

 

“Thanks for helping me” Said Aurora’s mother

 

“You’re welcome” Aurora said with less effort than before having practiced that line a lot 

 

Aurora’s mother then smiled at her before looking away again continuing to do her pile of laundry.

24