Vol 11: Ch 7 – Labyrinth Diving
167 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deep within the earth’s bowels, sounds now filled the usually quiet 60th floor of the Labyrinth. The occasional grunts, shouts, and impacts resounded throughout the expansive network of tunnels and large open spaces. Even more eerily was the resounding echo of a single female voice as her song permeated the entire floor. Though her song contained no words, just simple notes, it carried a mystical power that could be felt by anyone who heard it. However, an even louder voice temporarily drowned out the melody. 

“Save me! I can’t die yet!” A pink rabbit demihuman shouted as she desperately ran with all her strength. Tears and snot streamed down her face as her bloodshot eyes scanned the area, desperately trying to take in every bit of detail of the terrain surrounding her. Her pristine light armor and clothing were now dirtied and partially damaged, and her hair was as messy as her face. She was so tired, but she didn’t dare stop as, hot on her heels were several shadow Minotaurs brandishing weapons made of shadow. It was then that her rabbit ear twitched as she picked up the subtle increase in sound as one of her pursuers got closer. The moment her foot touched the ground, her lean legs bulged to an outrageous size before she sprung to the side. Just a moment later, a shadow mace bashed the spot where she previously was. Then, without missing a beat, her foot found a foothold she had previously spotted on the side of the wall as she took off like a pinball through the tunnel.

Sakura came shooting out of the tunnel like a bullet into a large open area. The look of terror on her face immediately turned into relief as she flew through the air. In her relief, her mind was blank, and she repeated a mistake she had made several times. She looked into the eyes of a woman who was using her snake-like tail to position herself high in the air as she aimed her crossbow bolt. Sakura’s body completely froze as Echidna fired her crossbow bolt, going straight through Sakura’s ears, and found purchase in one of the pursuing Minotaurs.

Almost simultaneously, a young voice suddenly shouted, “Foxfire! Foxfire!” Several balls of fire that strangely emitted electrical effects struck the briefly again paralyzed the shadow Minotaurs as Kogane cast spells as fast as she could.

The shadow Minotaurs gripped the vine-covered ground as they began to shake off the paralyzation and tried to stand up. Perhaps, if they had more intelligence than fighting spirit, they would’ve realized that vines could not grow within the Labyrinth. But, even then, the realization may have come too late. The seemingly innocuous vine suddenly began to grow and constrict the four Minotaurs before it fully pinned them to the ground. The moment the vines secured the targets, Echidna dropped her crossbow and pulled out her spear as she violently charged the downed Minotaurs. Her snake-like lower body exerted a tremendous speed. She fully utilized her momentum to drive her spear between the lead Minotaur’s neck and clavicle as the head was a hard target.

At the same time, from the side, Ruby charged a different Minotaur as her mouth suddenly burst into flames as she aggressively latched onto the Minotaur’s throat and began to tear.

With the combination of Kogane, Laelynn, and Rose, the remaining Minotaur’s were unable to fight back, which allowed Echidna and Ruby to dispatch them easily. 

“Papa said that there are at least two more enemies outside of the boss area,” Kogane said as she looked at the party. “Arachne should be okay scouting the remaining number of enemies. There are too few remaining to be an issue if we become flanked while fighting the boss. Is everything going alright?” She worriedly asked a little white fox that intermittently spat a white Foxfire on Sakura.

The white fox, Rio Soul Armament, had gone with this party when they split up while Kogane had left hers. This would allow both groups to keep communication and the added benefit of cast spells through them. However, casting spells, or potentially utilizing other abilities, were currently unique to Rio and Kogane’s Soul Armaments. The exact reason was unknown, but it was either because they were the same race, the Soul Armaments were sentient, or they could share their sense through them. In a way, the soul Armaments were similar to Martel’s soul bodies, though they were still considered separate entities.

Upon seeing the white fox shake her head, Kogane closed her eyes to focus on the situation through her Soul Armament, which, unfortunately, lowered her senses.

“Look out!” Sakura yelled. Another Minotaur, who appeared to have been far beyond the pack, suddenly made a bum rush towards Kogane. 

Kogane’s eyes snapped open, and she turned around to see the charging Minotaur that no one but Sakura had been able to react to. Then, just as she registered the mace made of shadows fall in her direction, a pair of hands suddenly gripped her shoulders.

Out of sheer impulse, Sakura had leaped to Kogane’s side. She instinctively tried to pull the two of them away from the Minotaur’s range, but her forward momentum was so strong that her feet could find no grip. She struggled just to keep her balance but slipped. A look of despair filled Sakura’s face as she and Kogane fell over, with the latter beneath the former. Then, there was the sound of impact.

Kogane’s eyes, previously closed in a futile attempt to brace for the blow, snapped open when something wet landed on her face. However, it wasn’t blood but the crying face of Sakura that came into view.

“Wuwuwu. Mama, I’m sorry I couldn’t save you. At least dying didn’t hurt.” Sakura mumbled.

“When will you two quit playing around?” A new voice suddenly said, clearly irked.

Sakura opened her eyes and confirmed Kogane was underneath her before she turned around and reeled in panic. There, she found the Minotaur slowly dissipating, which only occurred when it was dead. Arachne had descended from the ceiling and fatally stabbed the Minotaur in several vital locations with her legs from the ceiling.

*Tsk* “No blood, no fun.” Arachne mumbled to herself. “I took out three more shadow humans in the adjacent tunnel. After that, we should meet up with the rest of the party.”

Everyone nodded and began to rush back to the others.

“Why did you try to save me?” Kogane asked Sakura.

Sakura flinched in surprise. “Ah? Well, I… I just felt like it. It wasn’t a big deal. Not at all.”

Kogane smiled, even though the response was an unconvincing performance.

 

Sweat trickled down Rio’s face as she cast another healing spell at Hestia. She quickly glanced around the rest of the room, which had become partially chaotic due to the surprise encounter. The party did not expect that the first group of enemies there and into would be the boss monsters. Typically, the boss foes would be on the boss floor, further away from where everyone spawned. The floor would also have patrolling enemies along the path. Unfortunately, the first group they ran into consisted of four Minotaur’s and two humans. All of them were as powerful as the strongest enemy on any previous floor, even with Ariel’s vocal buff and debuff. The moment the battle began, the Minotaurs made loud sounds that attracted the patrolling shadow creatures to come. This was why the group had split into two. The intent was to intercept any enemies before they potentially pincered the rest.

Rio glanced around at the fight that had taken longer than any other up to this point. Five minutes had gone by without changing the status quo. Eferhild and Megumi were fighting the sword and shield-wielding shadow human, who was surprisingly strong in combat. If not for the occasional interference of Martel’s shield, the shadow may have even obtained the upper hand against the two of them. 

Martel was currently being constrained by a human, wielding dual daggers. Besides the surprising attack power, this shadow human also possessed astonishing speed. She would frequently attempt to sneak attack the members of the party. However, if anyone with battle knowledge were given a chance to scrutinize the fight, they would find that one of the most potentially dangerous foes on the battlefield was being played with. In a near prophetic manner, Martel seemed to know exactly where she would be as he could easily counter her moving at only half her speed.

The first Minotaur had left in a battle frenzy to chase Kappa. Ironically, Kappa had not run away but had been sent to the tunnels by the Minotaur. It seemed as though the Minotaur had become frustrated when Kappa, with an armored metal snout, viciously bit at the Minotaur’s legs every time it attacked. Every time the Minotaur began to swing, she immediately retreated within her shell, grew her shell around her, and used ki and a mana barrier to protect herself. The attack barely scratched Kappa, but she had no means to fix herself in place. The first attack of the Minotaur sent her flying through the tunnels like a pinball.

Pasiphae completely constrained the second Minotaur. Given the other tankers were constrained, she had abandoned her weapon to grapple the Minotaur. However, even her strength had fallen short. If not for the constant harassment of Cali and Crystal taking advantage of the openings that the Minotaur tried to counter, she would not have been able to last as long. However, even with the three of them, they could not damage as the Minotaur was not constrained enough to let them freely attack. The only creatures that were capable of freely attacking were the remaining two Minotaurs.

Out of the party, the one in the worst shape was undoubtedly Hestia. Blood dripped out of her closed helm. She was struggling to keep her arms, both equipped with a shield, up against the onslaught of the physically taller and stronger Minotaur’s that were unrelenting in their assault. Rio watched as she sent healing spells to Pasiphae and Hestia, though the latter received the majority. At first, she was most worried about Hestia’s situation. Hestia appeared to be the weakest link, but she had yet to fall. Even though she was running out of stamina, her current state seemed strange.

From the very beginning of the battle, Hestia approached it just like any other fight. The main thought in her mind was simply to block. However, that thought, along with the feeling in her arms, went away after the first couple of hits. In terms of raw strength, these Minotaur’s were the strongest foe she had ever faced. Unfortunately, their brute force and blunt weapons were the worst combinations for the heavily armored Hestia. Even with her ki and mana barrier, just keeping her footing proved to be a challenge, and the vibrations from the impact began to numb her whole body. Her throat became blocked, and she struggled to find the time to spit up blood from the residual impact, which was difficult as she could barely find the time to think. Even one of these Minotaur’s would’ve been difficult for her. If not for Parenelle’s mana barriers protecting her back, and Asuka’s harassment, she would’ve taken even more dangerous blows and suffered even more.

During the fight, unknown to Hestia, she became completely absorbed and started to act on pure instinct. Instead of standing like a statue, her feet began to move along with her foes. Her movement both lessened the impact and minimized the chance of the flank. Instead of blocking the blows, she began to deflect and guide them. Against these foes who lacked any technique and only brute force, it was surprisingly effective. However, in this moment of life and death, such thoughts and conclusions were far from Hestia’s mind. Eventually, she found herself lost in the numbness and the fighting. Only her desire to survive remained. The only sensation she could feel in her entire body was her heartbeat, which was unnaturally slow for the situation, though she did not notice. Then, in her fatigue, her numbness began to fade away. From the core of her body, a single spark of heat manifested. With each pulse of her heart, the heat spread throughout her body. Then, her eyes locked with the Minotaur’s, and it froze for the briefest moment from the momentary aura she seemed to emanate subconsciously. This entire interaction was completely unnoticed except for a similarly unnoticed pair of red eyes that glanced in her direction from pure instinct.

Rio had become astonished by how well and long Hestia had lasted, but her complexion suddenly changed. It wasn’t from Hestia’s fight, but Pasiphae. The Minotaur that Pasiphae grappled with finally managed to get a hand completely free. It struck Pasiphae square in the jaw, causing her to lose her remaining grip. Just when the Minotaur was about to break free completely, a vine constricted the Minotaur’s wrist. More vines soon followed it. A smile replaced Rio’s worry as she turned to look to the tunnel behind her, only to feel a burst of wind pass her back.

The dagger-wielding shadow human made a subtle change in expression for the first time since she started fighting Martel. Unlike the rest of the fight, she made a move to retreat. However, her vision was completely obscured by a shield that perfectly followed her. With a resounding *wack!*, the shield smashed into her face. The shadow human stumbled backward directly into true protruding spider legs as Arachne had suddenly appeared behind her with astonishing AGL.

The now freed Martel immediately made his way over to Hestia to lessen her burden as she had already reached and exceeded her limit. With the rejoining of the party, they quickly weighted the scale of battle in their favor and quickly ended the fight. Kappa had run into the mob-sweeping group and arrived with them after quickly dispatching the pursuing Minotaur.

Martel quickly set Hestia down and removed her helm. Her current state could substitute for the overall situation of the entire party. She was at no risk of death or serious harm but was slightly injured, unkempt, and exhausted. “You did well.” He softly said as he wiped the blood from her chin.

As if taking that statement for permission, Hestia immediately fell unconscious with an ever-slight smile on her face.

Martel and company did not draw much attention as they made their way back to the Adventurers Guild. At least no more than usual, given the party composition. Seeing battered parties was not uncommon between the Labyrinth and the Adventurers Guild. However, as most of the party was resting, they did not speak. Instead, they listened to the sounds of a busy city during the early afternoon.

“Say, didn’t you try the Red Dragon Trading Company teleportation magic?”

“I did, and the round-trip wasn’t cheap. However, it’s quite amazing that I could visit family in Essex and return on the same day. Compared to the travel time and protection fee, it’s reasonably priced.”

“That is because you farm the Labyrinth. Us non-adventurers will have trouble affording it.”

 

“Have you heard what’s going on in the port of sin?”

“Wasn’t something important recently stolen? I hear the deporting all nonresidents after a thorough inspection.”

“Yes, and are not allowing entry.”

“How do you know this?”

“I was gathering information on the new Tate Kingdom and overheard it. Speaking of the Tate Kingdom, it seems as though it will be safe to reenter within the week.”

“Won’t there be  problems since it wasn’t originally a kingdom?”

“Tate and Sussex will provide information regarding those who wish to move back or those who want to immigrate. However, I can’t imagine the number will be high, at least until after the Second Wave as it is notoriously close to the First.”

 

“We are back!” Sakura suddenly exclaimed as her weary expression completely disappeared, and she bounded up to the Adventurers Guild.

Martel turned to Rio. “Take everyone to the Red Dragon Trading Company and get them home to rest up. In the meantime, I have some business to attend to and probably won’t be home until evening. Tomorrow, we will travel a little deeper into Fallen Hero Forest to collect the silk spiders. Make sure everyone is aware and prepared for it.”

“I understand,” Rio replied with a yawn.

“You going to be heading north?” Sakura asked as she stopped and turned around. Then, a brief expression of hesitation appeared on her face. “Will you continue heading north after?”

“… After Fallen Hero Forest, we will make our way to Chichester. Then we will teleport to Hastings.”

“Can I go with you?”

“For what reason?”

“I was planning to go see my mother after earning enough money. But, thanks to everyone, I’ve overshot my target.”

“I see, but if you’re concerned about safety, why not use the Red Dragon Trading Company to go straight to Lewes?”

“Well, that’s because… You are going to collect spiders, right? I wouldn’t mind earning some pocket change, and I enjoy everyone’s company.” Sakura replied. Her reason, while acceptable, came off a little weak, and she couldn’t help but flinch when Martel narrowed his eyes at her. Her body broke into goosebumps, and she felt as if he could see right through here.

“… All right.” Martel finally replied as she hadn’t spoken a lie.

“Great! Then I will go turn in my spoils.” She replied as she turned back into the Adventurers Guild, the more reserved than before.

Martel sent everyone else off before he turned and belatedly followed Sakura up to the second floor.

“You were gone for a while,” Pamela said to Sakura in the private room. “You seemed to have it a bit rough. They didn’t overwork you, did they?”

Sakura didn’t reply but instead poured out false mana stones from her space bag.

“This is quite the haul for their first expedition. Did you make it to the 40th floor?”

“60th. That’s just her cut.” Martel replied as he entered the room.

Pamela’s eyes widened for a moment before she understood. “Were you quite active?”

“The only time he fought was to constrict one of the boss-level enemies on the 60th floor,” Sakura replied with a bit of ire. 

Martel ignored her and tossed a storage bag to Pamela. “Take your time to count these. I’ll come tomorrow morning to pick up Sakura and the money.”

“Pick her up? Yes. She definitely would have exceeded the amount of money she needed. *tch* I can’t believe you. We finally got an extremely competent employee, and you immediately snatched her away.” Pamela replied with a clicked tongue before she turned to Sakura. “You will be back, won’t you?”

“? Yes, of course. I plan to travel with everyone for as long as I can. Then, when my circumstances permit, I’ll come back.”

“Good. Well, why don’t you go clean up? You look like a mess right now.”

“Got it,” Sakura said before she politely got up and left the room.

“Your party has exceeded my expectations,” Pamela said after Sakura had left. “I was expecting the 50th floor at most unless you revealed your strength.”

“Even taking into account the levels we would gain?”

“Yes. You have made a record if you consider your party’s level.”

“What was the best record?”

“The Fourth-Generation Spear Hero was said to have made it to the 70th floor on his own one month after he was summoned.”

“I see, then I suppose I shouldn’t slack off,” Martel replied as his body suddenly began to break apart and disperse.

Pamela’s mouth dropped, and her mind momentarily spun. “You’re crazy. Be careful. The Fast Travel feature doesn’t work in the Labyrinth.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.” Martel casually replied. “Oh, by the way, if someone asks, tell them I left.”

 

On the 61st floor, there was a flash of light as someone teleported down. Martel briefly glanced along with his current location before his body began to melt into the shadows. “Now then, time for some solo leveling.”

What was a shadow? Shadows were created when light is blocked and not in the absence of light itself. Shadows are more abstract. The ability he obtained from Kuromi worked best in true shadow. It could still work in the absence of light, but that only made him more difficult to notice. Luckily, each floor of the Labyrinth was lit by extremely dim light. Because the light was omnipresent, there was always light that was blocked. This meant that, even though the shadow was extremely light, it existed everywhere.

The shadow creatures in the Labyrinth perfectly mimicked the living counterparts, which included where the target took damage. They had a basic fighting intelligence ingrained in their souls during their lifetime, but other intelligence was lacking. This meant that Martel was able to make quick work of these enemies. He never had to leave the shadows and instead crippled them from below with the Shadow Dagger Soul Armament. Unable to discern a target, the shadow creatures couldn’t do anything. Eventually, every single fight became one-sided. It wasn’t until he reached the 81st floor that things began to become tricky.

Levels gave strength linearly, but Ranks were exponential. While the XP gain from clearing the floors was not linear, they were nowhere near exponential enough to grow his level explosively. That seemed to be the purpose of the Labyrinth. The 30th floor was the last floor that the XP gained until that point was enough to continue the challenge. Going beyond the 40th floor would require Leveling in a different location. Now, Martel had run into encounters suitable for S Rank. If not for the fact that the number of creatures spawned was at their minimum, he would’ve had a headache.

However, Martel was still quickly passing through these levels. 

A surprise attack from the shadows followed by an onslaught of ki and martial techniques quickly dispatched the shadow creatures. Ultimately, Martel made his way through to the 99th floor. The 99th floor was the last floor recorded as continuing would only return you to the beginning. Overall, Martel was slightly disappointed. His level had advanced to Level 15, but that was relatively insignificant in increasing his rank. He dedicated the points he intended to spend in areas that were least likely to affect his XP gain while reserving the rest. He would have been capable of defeating the Labyrinth at the strength he had when he entered this world, though it would’ve been a little harder. Martel gently touched the glowing lines that had appeared as he felt the magic within them. 

Being a pioneer in teleportation, Martel was uniquely equipped with knowledge and understanding of the intricacies of such magic. Starting from the 80th floor, he was able to find the mana flow and the resulting teleportation location. However, his goal was not to return to the Labyrinth’s beginning but to find the domain of Lilith. While there was no guarantee such a path would be available, it didn’t hurt the check. He believed that the Labyrinth would eventually go to a control hub. 

Martel thought this because he knew his general location. As they entered deeper within the Labyrinth, he was moving closer towards the center of the continent. This led him to believe that labyrinths were completely interconnected down to a single point. The single-point was most likely a control hub where the mana resided.

Martel carefully sensed magic within the wall, and a smile suddenly appeared on his face. Indeed, something was different about this teleportation. They were two potential paths, one to go further down and one to return to the surface. The one to go down was hidden or secondary. By the time a normal individual would be capable of using that teleportation, they would have returned to the surface. The trick was to use one’s mana to interact with the second path while completely ignoring the first. However, that was easier said than done because you had to know it existed and be capable of finding it. 

Martel appeared within a large area with a flash. The area was similar to the labyrinth floor but made up of significantly larger rooms. However, Martel’s mouth was completely a gap because the entire surrounding was completely Energy Crystal filled with manna. There wasn’t a single shadow creature to be seen, but Martel suddenly flinched because something moved. It was large, transparent as crystal, and let loose a roar that shook the entire cavern.

“… Sh!t.”

6