Chapter 9 – Ancient One – Inhibiters – Genes
2.1k 1 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jay watched the buildings turn and twist, his scarlet eyes looking around, falling on the bald woman in front of him, "Sorcerer Supreme."

Ancient One politely smiled at him, "we meet again."

Jay rubbed the back of his head, "I'll take this as a no?"

Ancient One lightly nodded, "those are mighty artifacts. Yet, they have no place in this reality."

Jay narrowed his eyes, "but the girl, without them, I can't save her."

Ancient One shook her head, "I am sure you can find other ways. If not, then let nature take its course. You are messing with the past and future too much."

Jay let out a breath, watching her, "the world is stronger than that. It won't break so easily."

He rotated his hand, and orange sparks appeared, creating a portal that he disappeared, leaving Ancient One behind.

Ancient One watched the portal close, "that's where you are wrong... the world is more fragile than you think."

In the afternoon,

Jay walked inside a secret Shield facility with a case in his right arm. It was mostly empty, with a few scientists running around in their lab coats.

He went towards the stair before taking a sharp turn and walking to tinted, black glass, watching his reflection.

He adjusted his black hair, his scarlet eyes turned towards the black t-shirt and lab coat he fixed. He took out and wore his rectangular glasses, "yeah, that's good."

He rushed up the stairs when his eyes fell on Coulson, standing above them, "Hey, welcome back."

Coulson greeted him with a smile, but there was a nervous look underneath, "this way."

Jay walked with him, sneaking glances, "you look tired. Mission?"

Coulson glanced towards him, his eyes looking distant, "No, I think it was more of the fact that if we don't save the girl..."

Jay patted his shoulder, "don't worry. It should be all right."

Coulson's eyes flashed with worry, "yeah, this one is...special."

Jay curiously asked, "why? Because of Primo?"

Coulson stopped in front of the door, opening, "see for yourself."

Jay's peeking inside, looking at a girl sleeping inside a quarantined bed, shifting his eyes to Melinda May, sitting with Eva Belyakov, and her husband Andrew Garner sitting behind her, rubbing her shoulders. Jay glanced towards Coulson, nodding, "Oh."

Coulson nodded silently, making Jay smile as he walked inside. He greeted them, "afternoon, guys. I don't think you needed so many people to keep watch." 

Melinda stood up, glancing towards the girl, then him, "can you help her?"

Jay shook Andrew's hand, greeting him, smiling as he looked towards Melinda, "Jay! We haven't met in a year. It's good to see you are doing well."

Melinda let out a breath, shaking his head, "sorry, it is good to see you. I-"

"Yeah, I know. I'll try my best, but I'll need the room," Jay whispered.

Eva was lifelessly staring at her daughter, "I won't leave my daughter."

Jay watched her, "you don't have to. There is something we have to talk about."

Eva looked up at him, watching his scarlet eyes, seeing his smile, "I know."

Eva watched him in surprise, "you know? How much?"

"Most of it, and I can guess what happened," Jay said, putting the case on the chair, looking at May, Andrew, and Coulson, "guys, room?"

"Right," Andrew nodded, patting May's back, reassuring her. The two of them walked out of the room, with Coulson closing the door behind him, when he jumped up, "you-you are here."

Primo was leaning against the wall, his hands crossed, waving at him, "Yes, Coulson. I am here. I have been here since yesterday."

Andrew raised his hand, "Primo, it's an honor to meet you."

Primo shook his hand, his orange eyes filled with curiousness, "Hm, you almost seem to be familiar with me."

Andrew exchanged a glance with May, "Yes. I did a profile on you with some other people. So, I can say I am one of the few people that know the most about you."

Primo narrowed his eyes, "Yes, and what was the result of the profile?"

"It got really confusing at first. We thought of many possibilities. You just wanted to fight, you dislike authority, you like pranks, you want to vent with all the power you have, and many more. The final was that you know something that we don't. That finale shook the whole Shield."

"Did you find anything?"

Andrew shrugged, "I am just a psychologist."

Coulson cleared his throat, "why are you here?"

Primo pointed at the door, "I know he can deal with her insanity, but not with powers. That's where I come in."

In the room,

Jay was checking on the little girl, "what is her name?"

"Katya," Eva muttered, "so you know about us? How?"

Jay glanced towards her, "I have heard of you people, met with some of them. Oh, wait."

He took out a button-sized device, clicking on the button, "just in case someone is watching or listening."

"How long has it been since you awakened her abilities?"

"A few weeks? I just...I just wanted my daughter to have what she deserved. I didn't think it would end like this."

"You were lucky. Usually, these powers come at a price. You not only got super strength, but your body also didn't change. Your daughter was lucky and unlucky at the same time. She didn't change either, but her powers were too dangerous. And she was too young to control," Jay opened his case, revealing two pentagonal glass tubes filled with orange liquid.

"What are those?" Eva, worried over her daughter's condition, asked.

"Memory Inhibitors," Jay took them out, smiling, "created in the 1940s, early years of Shield. Then, they could erase two minutes of memories. Now, these can go as high as a month without damaging the temporal lobe. Also, they can even erase the backup files that are stored in the brain. I had better plans, but someone doesn't like me importing things. But this should be more than enough to help her."

Eva cautiously watched him, "you said better plans. What is wrong with this plan?"

Jay paused, "this can't erase her powers. This means you will have to administer it every time her powers run out of control. But give me some time, I'll find a to contain her powers. So she doesn't hurt herself anymore?"

He got up, administering the Memory Inhibitors on Katya's forehead, seeing her body raise up, falling on the bed, "and that should do it. She will have to stay quarantine before I find a way to help her. I hope you don't mind that?"

Eva shook her head, "No...I'll wait."

Jay nodded, leaving the room, closing the door behind him.

Eva looked at her daughter, letting out a sigh of relief. Her eyes became heavy when a hand grasped her shoulder.

She shot up, jabbing her elbow behind, but it seemed to have passed through the body, making her turn and look back.

"It's you!"

Primo shifted his orange eyes, watching Katya, "you know what is going to happen, right? They will take her blood, scan her organs, bones. She will become their pet project, and not just to know how to suppress her powers, but create more with the ability to control the mind. It's a tempting power those is power would love to have. Inhumans are unknown to most humans. Even if they can find a way to take her powers away. There would be other organizations that will come after her. To know what makes her tick, to know what was done to her. You will never live a peaceful life."

Evan shut her eyes, "I know. But I have no other choice."

Primo turned his eyes towards Katya, walking beside her bed, the glass quarantining her burned down, "will you trust me and not shout? I don't want others to see this."

Eva looked up with hope, "you can help her?"

Primo raised his hand. A drop of flame turned into a droplet of flame, dripping on Katya's body before something rose from her.

Flames rose above her, forming her whole genetic code. Primo's orange eyes glowed as the genetic code in front of his eyes further broke down, "Now then. I just need to take away from genes from her genetic code, and the power should shut down. After that, I will take you to a safe place and leave you with a gift that would allow you to teleport me to yourself. In case you have any trouble, is that acceptable?"

Eva dazedly watched the gene diagram in front of her, "wait, what will happen to my daughter if you do that?"

"Nothing will happen to your daughter now. What will happen is what I want to happen, and I am thinking of giving her the same ability as you. Super Strength. If someone comes after you two, the least she could do is protect herself."

Eva held her hands closer to her chest, "Yes, I will do it. I will listen to you, come with you, whatever you want."

Primo lightly smiled at her, "Yeah, that sounds so good to the ear, doesn't it."

Numerous mechanical hands, made by solid fire, appeared beside him, each with a different tool needed for this kind of surgery.

Her powers weren't the only thing he was going to take. He also had to take a few genes that were corrupted. To give her the chance to be good rather than evil. Maybe, she will find happiness.

48