Prologue
76 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silently lifting her eyes from the falling snow, a figure stood underneath a dead willow tree, her face shrouded in darkness by a veil as she overlooked the forlorn valley beneath her. Indifferent to the winter chill, she was thinly dressed in crimson robes as her dark luscious hair danced with the wind, a pure white fox fur coat loosely draping over her shoulders. Barefoot amidst the snow, golden bells jingled at her ankles, the wind teasing them gently.  

 

“The northern borders are barren and cold; the lands untamed. May this one question what gongzi has ventured here for?”

 

Without averting her gaze from the somber sky, the figure softly spoke, her voice calm and soothing, yet devoid of emotion. Amidst the harsh wailing of the wind, her words were only a whisper, yet, caused a ripple in the hidden youth’s heart as he stepped out from the cover of the shadows, his rich blue brocade robes battling the relentless wind.

 

“Forgive me for my rudeness, this one is known as Chen Yang of Chen Clan. Seeing senior’s appearance, does senior perhaps belong to Lan Manor?”

 

Neither denying nor agreeing, the figure landed her gaze on the youth before glancing away disinterestedly, her open palm patiently stretched out as a single snowflake landed on it and slowly melted, forming a fragile teardrop. Gradually, silence permeated the space between the two as a cold gust blew by, carrying with it the scent of winter.

 

Noting the brilliance of orange and red intermingling in the far distance as the sun slowly dipped behind a chain of soft snow peaked mountains, the youth decided it was futile to wait for a reply and turned to leave. After a few days in the Northern Borders, the youth knew not to dally. The Northern borders was not kind to strangers, especially during the night. However, the figure once again spoke, severing the deathly silence.

 

“Since its creation, Lan manor has never interfered with the outer realm, what business does Chen Clan have with Lan Manor?”

 

Palm slightly perspiring despite the cold, the youth warily observed the mysterious figure before him, the grip on the blade strapped to his waist tightening. Unable to decipher the intentions of the mysterious figure, the youth helplessly relented as he spoke, his words guarded. At least the sword by his side had to safely arrive in the hands of its rightful owner, even if he did not.

 

“This one only has business with Lan Manor. Since senior is not a resident of Lan Manor, I am afraid I can not reveal anything. The day is no longer young, if senior has nothing else to say, this junior shall take his leave.”

 

Detached eyes closing as if to signify disinterest, the figure slowly faced her back to the youth as he turned and left, a gentle smile playing at the tips of her lips underneath her veil as she softly muttered, “Mo er, stop playing and come out. Did Yi er send you?”

 

Stepping out from the shadows of the dead willow tree, a young child smiled brightly, his flushed cheeks tinted rouge red. Dressed in thick robes, the child cheerily toddled up next to the mysterious figure, slipping his plump hand into her soft and warm palm as she indulged him in his childish antics.

 

As if the only humans in the world, the two, one small and one big,  serenely stood underneath the vast expanse of sky, bathing in the luminous light of the moon as the last streak of sunlight slowly disintegrated into darkness.

1