1 – You Gotta Be Kidding Me
7.6k 29 139
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey everyone! I will be trying to write this story as an interactive and funny choose-your-own-adventure novel. 

Join Josh on his begrudging journey through Yu-Gi-Oh and help him to make the ultimate badass, teeth-kicking deck...or a horrendous and cancerous troll deck! 

The story will start at the end of the Manga days - Pre Anime - And will use modern card effects and rules since I am not dealing with Anime or Manga BS cards. lol

To spice things up, there are no restrictions or bans, but this may change as the story progresses if things become too easy. Let's have some fun, shall we? Hope you enjoy it!

1 - You Gotta Be Kidding Me

I wake from what I could only hope was a dream.

Opening my eyes, I see that I am lying on a comfortable bed inside an unfamiliar room. 

'Yup. It really happened.' I think with a sigh as I remember the strange white room I had found myself in after I had a tumble from my mountain bike off a 60-foot cliff. 

***

"Where...am I?" 

Nothing and no one answered my question. I looked in all directions, but the only thing I saw was a white floor and a white sky as far as the eye could see. It was strange. It caused me to feel claustrophobic and messed with my spatial perception as I could not make out any lines in the white world around me. I could be in a vast open space or wrapped in a white bubble and I would not have been able to tell the difference. 

Just as panic started setting in, a black translucent box with golden edges and Egyptian hieroglyphs popped up in front of me. 

Hey Josh, Dad here! =D

If you are seeing this, then it must have worked! Listen...I kinda fucked up. hahaha...

So, remember that trip I made to Egypt and never returned from?

Well, the boys and I got SUPER waisted and snuck into some old sealed Egyptian temple. I know, I know - Not my best idea...

Anyway, a lot of crazy shit happened and, long story short, I'm trapped in the Shadow Realm.

Yeah. Like that old Yu-Gi-Oh! show you used to watch. Turns out that shit was real! Who knew? hahaha

Anyway, if you could free me, then I think I have an artifact that can send us both home. 

Good luck!

~ Love and Kisses,

Dad

I stare blankly at the golden and black screen in front of me. My brain seems to have fried, and I had to reread the message about 20 times. 

'He's...alive?' I think in shock.

My dad disappeared in Egypt 13 years ago, and we were never able to find where he went. Mom remarried and, honestly, things have been much better since his drunken escapades stopped putting our family in the local news. I've always missed him, however, and I even visited Egypt once in a vain attempt to find him.

'Even when he's gone, he drags me into shit...' I shake my head with a sigh as I finally start processing the information on the screen. 

Then, I start freaking out. 

"Of all the worlds to be sent to...WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE YU-GI-OH!?!" I scream at the injustice of the world. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved Yu-Gi-Oh!...at least I did when I was a kid! Sure, I felt a twinge of nostalgia that made me smile, but that didn't change reality. The show I watched as a kid was made up of plots without a lick of common sense. The idea that I was going to a world that might have a megalomaniac like Pegasus or the "Rich Young Master To End All Rich Young Masters" in Seto Kaiba gave me chills. 

'I don't even know WHEN I am being sent. If this is after the first few seasons, I am fucked!' I think, letting out yet another long-suffering sigh.

When GX started, I stopped watching the anime. I was no longer young enough for the show to capture my full attention. It would seem that may have been a mistake...

Before I had a chance to really get into how absolutely screwed and depressed I was feeling, another popup appeared. 

Please Choose Your Starting Deck:

Starter Deck: Yugi or Starter Deck: Kaiba

'Phew.' I exhaled a breath of relief. At least I knew these decks and cards. In fact, it seemed I was starting from the very beginning, or, at least, I was getting cards from the very beginning of the trading card game. I could get behind that.

Now, the real question was...is this the anime world or just a world that uses Yu-Gi-Oh! cards in some way? 

The answer to this was quite simple, however, as my dad said he was stuck in the Shadow Realm; Meaning the story should be as it was in the Anime since that is the only place the Shadow Realm was mentioned. The problem was...

"How the hell do I save him from the Shadow Realm? Can I fly there? Is there an interdimensional subway system?" I mused aloud. 

Not A Valid Choice.

Please Choose Your Starting Deck:

Starter Deck: YugiStarter Deck: Kaiba

Wow...pushy much? Fine. Let's think this through.

Luckily when I imagined clicking on a pack, I was given a list of the cards I would receive and a chance to read through my options before picking. 

Looking through the lists, I was faced with an easy choice. The fact of the matter was, if I own a Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Kaiba was gonna hunt me down. That was the first major arc of the story, after all. Yugi's Grandpa had a card Kiaba wanted, so he...kidnapped him and forced him into a duel so that he could win the card...only to rip it up as soon as he had it...

See? Makes no sense.

Also, even though Starter Deck: Kaiba has some good cards, Starter Deck: Yugi has some stupidly broken cards. 

That being said, if I had a stronger monster and trap deck, couldn't I just wipe the floor with Kaiba? It's not like he would get physically violent with me over it or have me killed over it...right? Surely, I could make a name for myself as the "Other Owner Of Blue-Eyes" and even hurt his reputation with it. The Kaiba deck had some equally broken cards...hmm...

Better go with ______.

After making that decision, another box popped up in front of me.

Please Choose 10 Booster Packs:

Legend of Blue Eyes White DragonMetal Raiders | Spell Ruler

This time, I had to go in blind. I could not remember what was in these packs for the life of me, and mentally clicking on them didn't give me any information.

'I guess...I guess I will have to pray for luck from the Gods.' 

I take a shuddering breath and make my picks. ______________

As soon as my choice was made, a final box popped up. 

Thank You, Choices Registered. Your Deck & Trunk Have Been Updated.

Before Proceeding, Please Make Note Of The Following:

- You will start will 2000 Duel Points.

- Winning duels will award you 100 Duel Points and losing duels will remove 100 Duel Points from your balance.

- Additional Duel Points may be earned in special cases or by betting on a duel's outcome.

- Duel Points are the currency of this world, so do not waste your points carelessly.

- Should your Duel Points ever hit zero, you will be sent to the Shadow Realm.

- You may buy more cards, booster packs, or decks from either in-world card shops or through the Transmigrator Shop.

- You may only access the Transmigrator Shop once per month and only cards, decks, and packs up to the current story point will be available. 

- You will start as a high school-aged orphan with a house, inheritance paid each month, and necessities provided. All information about your life and the world as you know it will be downloaded into your mind.

We Sincerely Hope You Enjoy Your New Life.

Before I had a second to work through all the information I just learned, my mind ceased functioning and darkness enveloped me. 

***

So here I am. In bed. In a new life. In Yu-Gi-Oh! 

"What did I ever do to deserve this?" I ask piteously to no one in particular. My palms quickly found their way to my eye sockets as I tried to rub my frustration and the new headache I was feeling away. 

Spoiler alert: It didn't help.

As you might have caught on, you, the readers, will be able to directly pick what cards Josh starts with. Please, add a comment with your choices and the one with the most likes will be what I go with for tomorrow. Also, please fill out the poll below so I can see whether this is dumb or not. lol  I will see you all tomorrow to continue! =D

What Do You Think Of This Story Idea?
  • Love It! Please Continue! Votes: 207 52.7%
  • I Like It, But I Would Prefer You Choose Things Votes: 156 39.7%
  • It's Alright. I am just reading because I am bored. Votes: 70 17.8%
  • I Would Prefer You Write Shorter Chapters Of One Of Your Other Stories. Votes: 3 0.8%
  • I Hate This. Please Do Not Continue It. Votes: 7 1.8%
Total voters: 393
139