Side Quest: Keke’s Secret
58 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Keke knew it wasn’t right to spy on people. Her mother had said as much on numerous occasions, but she couldn’t help herself any longer. Elona seemed so distant and tired. The dark circles under her eyes betrayed nights of restless sleep, and she was gone from the house more often than usual. 

Mother barely talked to her or Cannoli. Of course, she still shared pleasantries and ensured that meals were always on the table. But there weren’t any of the deep talks that she and Keke always shared in their quiet evenings together. What wasn’t Mother telling her? She was fourteen now, no longer a kitten. Surely it wasn’t something so dire that she must hide it away from her daughter?

Then, when Elona turned down a day of fishing together, Keke resolved to find out what was happening.

Keke hardly slept, tossing and turning after a night of weighing her options. If she were caught, it might make the situation worse. But maybe it was something she could help her with. Like the Defiled that fateful rainy afternoon in the forest. Besides, Keke was much better with a bow now than she was then.

So she decided to spy.

Mother woke at dawn as she usually did, despite going to bed just a few hours earlier. Keke tiptoed from her room, then down the hallway once Elona had entered the kitchen. Cannoli slept soundly in the room across from hers—a typical occurrence for the last four years. Keke could hear the high whistle of her soft snores as she passed, checking that the door was completely closed before creeping to the hallway’s entrance.

Elona leaned her hand on the counter and ran a hand through her golden hair. A heavy sigh slid from her lips, and she straightened her back. 

Keke recognized the posture; Mother was preparing for a confrontation. She’d mirrored the expression and movement whenever a strenuous Encroacher Quest circled the town or if a Defiled was close to Junonia. Only twice had she done it when speaking with Keke, and both times were within as many weeks.

Without bothering to eat, Elona fixed her [Cat Pack] to her hip and left the house. Keke inhaled a deep breath and licked her lips, counting slowly to five before following her outside.

It was a lot like stalking a roach.

Elona marched through the forested path with purpose, switching to [Combat Mode] as she walked. 

Maybe it really is a Defiled.

The morning sun shimmered through the canopy of trees, lighting the leaf-littered path. Keke was careful not to step on dead leaves or twigs. 

When her left boot string caught the hanging leaf of an unnoticed thistle, a frustrated hiss of air shot through her teeth. Elona’s ears perked toward the sound, and she hesitated. Keke stopped, squatting low to the ground and holding her breath.

Just a squirrel, Mom. Please think it’s just a squirrel. 

Elona shook her head and continued forward. Keke slowly let the air she’d been holding stream through her nose, counted to five, then followed.

It was too early for most of the shops to open yet, so the square was mostly empty. The smells of fresh-baked bread wafted from the bakery mingled with smoked meat from the butcher next door. Elona passed the grocer’s stalls, the tailor, and the forge, stopping at the wooden doorway that belonged to the [Alchemist].

Nauka—or Granny Nauka, as the girls Keke’s age affectionately called her—had been on Ni Island for as long as anyone could remember. She welcomed all who had an interest in the art of [Alchemy], though she taught with a firm hand and was notorious for her lack of patience.

Keke ducked behind a line of wooden barrels of ale beside the Junonia Tavern. She still had a clear view of her mother if she peeked just above the casks.

Elona’s hand rested on the door’s handle, and she froze.

What’s she waiting for?

An uneasy silence filled the air. It seemed like not even the birds were awake yet. It was finally broken by the creak of the door’s hinges as Elona threw it wide.

“Nauka!” she called, taking a step inside.

Nauka’s gravelly voice shouted an incoherent string of words. It must have been a command, as Elona drew her leg back and crossed her arms over her chest.

Granny Nauka wandered outside, closing the door behind her before turning to face Keke’s mother. She adjusted her small glasses on her nose, eyes piercing Elona from deep inside her wrinkled face.

“This is the fourth day you’ve come,” Nauka growled, wagging a finger at Elona. “You need to stop this.”

Elona looked somehow more tired than before, her golden gaze narrowing to thin lines. “Nauka, she will die without it—”

“Utter roachshit, Elona,” Granny Nauka cut her off with a wave of her hand. “Aurora’s a powerful [Bishop]. It’s not for her that you’re asking, and you insult me with this hoax.”

Keke flinched. Cannoli’s mom is in trouble?

Elona crossed an arm over her chest, resting her elbow against her wrist to knead at one temple. She blinked and shifted her balance to her other foot, seeming to chew on her words as she fidgeted in place. “And what if you’re right?” she said slowly.

Nauka made a disgusted sound between a cough and hiss. “The rumors are true, then.”

“He’s ill, Nauka.” Elona dropped her arms to her sides, turning her palms up with her plea. “He needs your help. Everything Aurora has done hasn’t helped him.”

He?

“Maybe he shouldn’t have left his island, then,” Nauka grumbled. “Perhaps the cure is a padded cell in Nyarlothep. One for each of ‘em.”

Elona’s face blanched, and she lowered her voice. “This cannot reach their ears. Think of her daughter—”

“Why should I? Aurora’s not,” Nauka snapped. “You know what she’s teaching Cannoli? Selfishness. Abandonment.” She jabbed her finger into Elona’s chest. “How to use people.”

“That’s below you,” Elona growled, swatting Nauka’s hand away.

Keke flinched and shrank behind the barrels. Her mind reeled with questions, trying to assemble the pieces of their conversation into a coherent image. She’d never heard her mother use that tone. Not with anyone. 

“Let him rot, Elona. If she can’t cure him, it’s Saoirse’s will,” Nauka continued. “He shirked his obligations as a man, and those consequences shouldn’t be on any of our hands.”

“Then don’t let it be on your hands.”

Nauka scoffed. “That’d be much easier if you weren’t haunting my doorstep every goddess-damned day.”

Elona shook her head, her tail hastily ticking from side to side with agitation. “Look. You’ve taught me [Alchemy] for years. Just tell me what I need to do.”

“Turn. Them. In.” Nauka enunciated each word, spittle spraying from her lips.

“It would crush her,” Elona pleaded. “Surely your heart hasn’t withered away with the rest of you.”

“Matters of the heart are above my station.” Nauka signed her reverence to Saoirse. “And you are wasting my time. Don’t ask me again, Elona.”

Without another word, Nauka turned, snared the door of her shop, then vanished inside. 

Elona stamped her foot to the ground, hands balling into fists, a snarl of frustration rumbling from her chest. Keke chewed her lip, forcing herself to stay put. She wanted to hug her mother and tell her it would be okay. That maybe he would just get better, like she and Cannoli did whenever they got sick.

“Elona?” a soft voice called behind her.

Elona spun on her heel, eyes wide with surprise. “Rael!”

Saphira’s mom. Despite being close to the same age, Keke didn’t know Saphira well. They bought their fruits and vegetables from their stand, but Saphira was always so timid and quiet.

“I… I didn’t—” Elona stammered.

Rael held up a hand and shook her head. “I overheard you talking with Nauka.” 

“Oh, goddess,” Elona sighed, exasperated. “Please, Aurora’s not at fault.”

“No, I understand.” Rael’s tone was kind, her soft smile bright against her tan face. “I just wanted to offer you a piece of advice if you’ll hear it.”

“Yes, of course.”

“A dear friend of mine recently moved to Nyarlothep to study as a [Hermetic]. I believe she would be sympathetic to your cause.” Rael smoothed her hands against her apron. “It sounds like time is short. I can give you her information and write to her if you would like to seek her out.”

Elona’s eyes brightened, and she nodded. “A Third Class. Yes, please. That may be exactly what we need.”

Keke’s hands balled into fists. Aurora isn’t Questing in Nyarlothep. She’s here. She’s hiding. She thought of Cannoli, and her heart broke for her best friend. All this time, Aurora had left her behind. And Elona was protecting her. Why?

With half-hearted excuses, Elona embarked to Nyarlothep the next day, leaving Keke and Cannoli to maintain the house and her stall. 

Aurora returned, heartsick and weakened—as if she hadn’t eaten for days. Keke never asked but could only assume the man she was hiding had perished.

Elona never came home.

S7YA9xq.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons! 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Queen Toast, Carmine, DiscountDan, Ed

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, João Vene, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Allen Mainville, Centhi, John Mullaney, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Alex bagster-collins, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, Jeremy Burley, Koruscan, bb, Leedlee, Col Adamson, Michelle Hundt, Crimsoneye, Dan, Dave, Jonathan Dubreuil, Emily, ryan woodhouse, Grimmslyar, Matthew O’Donnell,  Skade, Spencer decouteau, Dan F, bryce white, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, jons jonsson, Poisonedmisery, John Smith, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, Charles McNab, Alex Quinn, CipherFTW, Colton, quin, David Garrison, William Martin, Tonk, Riku DreamEater, blackwolf393, thecorncomes4u, Thomas Whelan, Twelve, ramtorio, phillip ince, hanani, ICE.Paragon

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon |  Store | Discord

1