Chapter 207: Words of Radiance
60 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took a lot of effort to hide the wound on my hand. I snuck out of Jeenie’s room early in the morning and searched out the castle’s ward, where I found a few [Priest]s residing. Jeenie’s work had done a lot to prevent permanent damage from what the [Priest] told me. With the additional healing, all I had to do was refrain from using it for a few hours, and it would be mostly back to normal. At least, normal enough that I could take the bandages off.

The muscles and bones were still sore, and I had to be careful not to move my fingers too fast, but you could hardly tell I ever punched a wall in the first place. A few knicks still draped across my knuckles, but they looked more like paper cuts than anything else.

Keke was coming down the hall when I left the washroom.

“Hey, Matt.” She offered a small wave and moved to stand before me, the heels of her boots clicking against the marble floor. “Are you doing okay?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “Sorry if I worried you yesterday. I just needed some time to myself. Lots to think about, you know?” Keke didn’t seem convinced, but she nodded. “What have you been up to?”

“I wanted to practice my archery for a bit, so Cailu set up some targets in the arena.”

“How’d you do?”

Keke grinned. “Stationary targets are too easy. They used to be nice as a kitten when I could barely pull back the string. Now though?” A laugh escaped her lips. “With all of the Encroachers and Defiled we’ve fought, I find even the farthest stationary targets much too easy. I suppose I didn’t realize that, so I might have Jeenie set something up later.”

“Hit a few bullseyes for me,” I said as I walked past her, “I’m going to head to the other Shells for a bit.”

I made it a few feet away until she called my name. “Are you doing alright?” I stopped in my tracks. Keke continued. “I know you spend a lot of time ensuring that the rest of us are okay. But I hope the burden you’re carrying isn’t too heavy. So, like you’ve offered so many times before… talk to me if something’s amiss, okay?”

I glanced over my shoulder. “I will.” I stared down the hallway. The annoying voice in the back of my head resurfaced, and the thoughts I had the previous day came with it. I replayed what Jeenie said about the temporary nature of my situation, and the voices quieted. I turned around and gave her a genuine smile. “I’m okay. I promise. But we’re still going to be here for another couple of days, so I want to check out the rest of Rājadhānī and see how everyone’s acclimating to their new conditions.”

Keke frowned. “Those were some big words.” She seemed to realize how she came off because she quickly waved her hands in front of her. “I-I mean, sorry. I didn’t mean it in a bad way or anything, but—”

I laughed. “Keke. It’s okay. Seriously. I think Tristan’s just rubbing off on me.” I thought for a moment, gazing at the beautiful floor beneath us. “And Cailu, to some extent.”

“Now, there’s something I never thought I’d hear. You’d better not tell Ravyn.”

I chuckled and met her gaze. “Yeah, I’ll keep it on the down-low. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a total ass, but… he does make some good points. Points I think I just didn’t want to hear, I guess.” I paused. “I’ll admit, I’m not happy about us going our separate ways for a while. But I also understand that we’re a Party. This is only temporary.”

“Only temporary,” Keke whispered just loud enough for me to hear.

“Yeah.” I breathed deep, slowly exhaling. “Alright. I’m going to get going. Maybe talk to Ai for a bit about my Class change. It’s been a while since I’ve spoken with her anyway.”

“Okay. See you later?”

“See you later, Keke. I’ll be back soon.”

I offered her a wave goodbye, then made my way down the staircase. Once outside, I followed the pathway to the main gate and out into the First Shell. I stretched my arms behind my back, glad that Keke hadn’t noticed anything about my hand. Letting them fall to the sides, I called upon the iPaw.

“Hey, Ai.”

Ai appeared in her red Ichi Island garb at the bottom of the screen, straight-faced and monotone as ever. “Hello, [User Matthew]. How may I assist you?”

“I have some questions about Second Classes,” I said as I walked toward the Second Shell. “Are you able to answer some of them?”

“I will offer any information I am able. Proceed.”

“Thanks. For starters, I’d like to know more about the [Battleguard] Class.”

“Please specify.”

I thought about it for a few seconds. Cailu had made a point to emphasize its reliance on a healer. While I could see no one else but Cannoli healing me, I had to verify that it was the truth. I phrased the question a few different ways in my head, but ultimately the best way to figure out its potential was to ask about the Class itself.

“What kind of self-sustaining options does [Battleguard] have?” I asked.

Ai went through several idle animations before she replied. “[Battleguard] has Skills which restore its own [Health Points] as it draws blood from a target with its chosen weapon.”

“Is that the only kind it has?”

“Yes.”

I glanced up from the iPaw, waving to a passing catgirl dressed in expensive white garbs. “What other defensive options does it have? Anything from shielding, protecting other Party members, etcetera.”

“[Battleguard] possesses four notable defensive Skills. One reduces the effectiveness of weapons around them for a period of time. Another reduces incoming damage when attacking. The [Battleguard] may also restore [Health Points] through the use of said Skills. Lastly, they are the only Class to possess a Skill which [Provoke]s multiple targets.” Ai blinked. “While it does not serve as a Skill, they also boast the highest [Health Points] total of any Second Class.”

This was strange. It felt like Ai was being a lot more helpful than I was used to.

“You’re giving me a lot more information than you usually do,” I said, passing through the now-open valley separating the First and Second Shells. “What’s up?”

“This is information available to you through the [Class Selection] screen. The information was not available until Class Level 10.”

And I continue to feel like an idiot.

“Thanks, Ai. That’ll be all.” I nodded to a few kittens who ran passed me, breathless and giggling.

Ai nodded, then disappeared. I pocketed the iPaw and continued on my way to the Second Shell. She hadn’t told me anything that I didn’t already know, except that the [Battleguard] didn’t sound like it had a lot of options for keeping itself alive. I found myself smiling when I pictured how Erina fought before she lost her arm and how my heart was set on becoming the same monster of a tank to protect the girls.

It felt nostalgic. It felt right.

I have to go [Battleguard]. Even if it needs a competent healer to work right, I can’t just drop my axe and learn the way of the blade. I’ve come this far with this thing; I can’t stop now.

Besides, the axe was a natural fit. Since day one, I could never picture another weapon in my hands. I mean, unless it was a bigger and better axe. Depending on the specifics, maybe I could try a greatsword at some point. The two didn’t fight too differently from what it looked like, anyway.

The Second Shell was starting to look more and more like a village and less like a resort town. Citizens from the Third Shell mingled with the Second Shell girls, apprehensive expressions glued to their features. Some were shaking, others were crying.

I happened to see Melly tending to the scraped knee of a kitten, her smile warm and bright. I smiled in turn and approached.

“Melly?”

The catgirl stopped and glanced at me over her shoulder. “Oh, Matt! Hang on just a second, okay?” She gently rubbed at the blood and peeled skin with a rag. The kid flinched and squinted her eyes while Melly worked.

She carries herself like a Triage nurse. Maybe she could be my temporary healer?

I shook my head of the thought. No, Cannoli was going to be my healer. I was sure she’d be ready as soon as I was a [Battleguard]. It would just take some time.

“You’re a brave girl, Serenity,” Melly said. “Hold this in place for a bit. I just need to have a conversation with this young man, okay?”

Serenity nodded and held the rag against her knee.

Melly brushed her hands against one another as she rose to her feet. “Sorry about that. Did you need something?”

I shook my head. “Nah. Just came to see how things were doing. Seems like you got a lot more people now.”

“Yes,” Melly said, furrowing her brow in concern. “Many of the girls are too intimidated to approach the First Shell, so they stay here and receive help from the rest of us.” Melly drew a deep breath. “It’s a lot of work but satisfying. I feel I can truly put my Skills to the test.” She shook her head. “It’s awful how many sick and malnourished people there are.”

Cailu’s voice crawled beneath the wrinkles of my brain, whispering and offering unsolicited advice. ‘Matt, if you do pursue [Battleguard], you will need to employ a capable healer.’ The thought was growing louder. 

I swallowed the building lump in my throat.

Would Melly make a good healer?

Melly tilted her head. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah. Yeah, I’m fine,” I lied.

I had to future-proof my Class change somehow. In the worst-case scenario, what if Cannoli hadn’t finished on time? What if it would take her months or even years to complete her training? I had no idea what formal education looked like here.

You can’t just sit idly by and wait for Cannoli.

My hands tightened into fists. It hurt, but I couldn’t take any chances.

“Hey, Melly. I have a proposition for you.”

N6qsxCh.png

Spoiler

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons! 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Queen Toast, Carmine, DiscountDan, Ed

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, João Vene, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Allen Mainville, Centhi, John Mullaney, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Alex bagster-collins, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, Jeremy Burley, Koruscan, bb, Leedlee, Col Adamson, Michelle Hundt, Crimsoneye, Dan, Dave, Jonathan Dubreuil, Emily, ryan woodhouse, Grimmslyar, Matthew O’Donnell,  Skade, Spencer decouteau, Dan F, bryce white, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, jons jonsson, Poisonedmisery, John Smith, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, Charles McNab, Alex Quinn, CipherFTW, Colton, quin, David Garrison, Tonk, Riku DreamEater, blackwolf393, thecorncomes4u, Thomas Whelan, Twelve, ramtorio, phillip ince, hanani, ICE.Paragon

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon |  Store | Discord

[collapse]
3