Chapter 213: Chica Práctica
56 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

TVhu6QW.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One and Volume Two are available for pre-order now!

After a short trip back to my room to pick up Ceres’s new set of armor, I made my way down the hall to the room farthest on the left. The irony was not lost on me that the maids of both Parties had all ended up in a single room together. Maybe this would give Ceres a chance to bond with Destiny and Lara in a, uh, mutual love for service.

Destiny was the one to open the door after I knocked. “Oh! It’s Matt! Did you need to speak with Ceres?”

“Yeah, is she here?” I asked.

“Sir Matt!” Ceres peered around the doorframe with the same light in her eyes as a child on Christmas morning. It was a stare I was sorely missing while she recovered. “I shall see to his needs.”

Destiny offered a curt bow before situating herself on the bed behind her.

“Can I come in?” I motioned with a flick of my head.

“By all means, please make yourself comfortable,” Ceres said with an exaggerated wave of her arm.

“Thanks, Ceres.” Unlike the rooms prior, this one’s beds were lined up side by side to my right. Destiny and Lara were perched on top of one, talking about something regarding Tristan and San Island. I tried not to eavesdrop, electing to sit on the floor where an oval-shaped red and gold embroidered carpet lay. “I got something for you.”

“Oh?” Ceres’ ears perked. “What is it?”

I motioned with my hand for her to sit down. When I realized how uncomfortable sitting on the floor could be—carpet or not—I stopped myself. “Er, if you wanna grab a chair, then—”

She knelt in front of me, resting on her legs with her hands crossed on top of her lap.

Ceres’s gear proved to be more difficult to carry to her room the first time around. I’d spent a good few minutes dropping the pieces before my bright self decided to dump the tiger armor in my room, pack Ceres’ stuff into the [Cat Pack], and bring it to her that way. One by one, I removed each piece of armor from my [Cat Pack], putting it on the floor between us.

She gaped as soon as the first piece of plate hit the floor. “Matt, this is—”

“Your new armor,” I finished. “There’s a lot to it, so bear with me.” It took a while to find everything. There were so many belts, straps, and pieces to the set that I began to realize just how much work Espada put into her stuff. When Ceres’s entire set was laid before us, I breathed a sigh and worked my hand inside the [Cat Pack] just in case I missed anything. “I think that’s everything. So? What do you think?”

Ceres took her time answering. “It’s beautiful, Matt. Is this… the commission that was promised by Sir Cailu?”

Sir Cailu? My eye twitched. “Yeah.”

“My, my, my,” came Lara’s airy voice. “This suit alone could make enough Bells to feed all of Leche.”

“Ooh,” Destiny marveled as she took a seat beside Ceres. “This is your new armor?”

“That is what I am told.” Ceres met my gaze with a smile.

I set my jaw, trying not to let Cailu’s new title bother me. “Why don’t you try it on?”

“I would be honored. [Combat Mode].” After her attire changed, Ceres rose to her feet, immediately undoing the knot of her maid’s apron and tossing it onto the middle bed.

“Don’t you want a little privacy?” I asked. I wasn’t expecting her to just start stripping.

Ceres tilted her head. “My undergarments hardly warrant fawning,” she giggled. “Besides, there is nothing beneath my threads that you have not already partaken in.”

She really does have no filter. I tried to cough away my blush and ignore Destiny’s wide-eyed leer.

“Still, though, if you don’t mind,” I said, standing up and looking at the wall behind me, “I’m going to turn around. It’s just, uh, the gentlemanly thing to do.” And I’m going to pretend Destiny isn’t looking at me like that.

Lara affirmed my words with a nod. “What a respectful man you have, Ceres.”

“There are none like him,” Ceres said, untying the skirt around her waist. I turned around just as I heard it hit the floor.

“Untrue,” Destiny combated. “Tristan is a man among men.”

“Hm,” Lara hummed. “You’re lying again.”

“I am not! He’s wonderful! He’s smart, attractive, blonde—”

“Your pancheent for blonde men is cute.”

“Penchant,” Ceres corrected.

I brushed a hand through my dark hair on instinct.

As the three continued to chatter, I pocketed my hands and thought for a while. Ceres seemed pretty unaffected by our temporary parting, despite her referring to me as ‘Lord’ for so long. She was probably eager to get back home and defend it like she had before I came along. It had to hurt to see the island you grew up on fall into such chaos.

“I am finished, Sir Matt.”

I turned around as Ceres was making the finishing touches on her hair. I was surprised she knew what to do with the golden thread inside. The iPaw had made it clear that the thread was an important piece of gear, but I couldn’t fathom in what way. It started to make sense once I saw her weaving it through the braids.

Wow, that’s beautiful.

Silver plates outlined in gold dressed Ceres from the waist up. The pauldrons, gauntlets, and breastplate were made of interconnected pieces that fell atop one another like the scales of a snake. Around her waist was a decorated skirt colored black with a white apron. From what I’d seen, a mesh of chain hidden under the skirt offered a balance between beauty and practicality. Her boots were fairly simple, the foot portion resembling a pair of Mary Jane’s, just metal instead of leather and thread.

Ceres finished her braid, allowing the length of her golden hair to drape over her shoulder. She put one hand over the other on top of her apron, smiling. “Do you approve?”

To be honest, she looked incredible. She tread the line between strong and graceful strikingly well. I’d seen what Ceres was like when she was serious, and she had all the characteristics of a Lady Knight.

“I’m… kinda at a loss for words. In a good way,” I admitted. My brain had gone numb. Cailu’s irritating voice had endlessly nagged the back of my head, but for once, it was quiet. Seeing Cannoli and Ceres in their new gear had shut it up. For now, at least. “How do you feel about it?”

“It is exceptional quality,” she said, lifting one leg to look at the bottom. “There is support where it is required,” she said, lifting the plate beneath her bust slightly, “and movement feels natural. The weight is negligible, and I am experiencing a significant performance increase to my Stats.” She opened and closed her hand a few times. “My single complaint lies with the gorget.”

“The what?” I asked. I watched as Ceres put a hand against the golden, well, neck brace for lack of a better term, suddenly realizing that ‘gorget’ was the name of the thing. “That’s what it’s called?” I scratched my head. “Was wondering what the heck that was.”

“Aye,” Ceres nodded. “It is a most important piece of a knight’s attire.” Her fingers brushed against the material in thought. “However, I am unaccustomed to such armor. It will take much practice before I am comfortable fighting with it.”

“Are you going to be okay wearing it?”

“Yes. Please, bear my concern no mind.”

“Whoa-ho-ho!” Lara cheered. “Cailu’s loaded! What do you think this is made of?”

“I don’t know, but I’m in love,” Destiny said in awe, grazing the metal’s edge with her fingers.

Ceres flexed one arm, a confident smile brimming on her face. “The Defiled will know justice.”

“Let’s see how much justice,” I laughed, procuring my iPaw. I scrolled down to Ceres’s portrait and clicked on the [Equipment] option that displayed, just as I had with Cannoli. The boost to Ceres’s Stats was just as ludicrous as Cannoli’s.

Ceres has gained: Enchanter’s Dragon Braid!
Ceres has gained: Enchanter’s Dragonplate!
Ceres has gained: Enchanter’s Dragon Gauntlets!
Ceres has gained: Enchanter’s Dragon Cuisses!
Ceres has gained: Enchanter’s Dragon Sabatons!
Ceres has gained: Enchanter’s Dragon Gorget!

Enchanter’s Dragon Braid: +3 Health Points, +7 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +2 Magic, +2 Vitality, +8 Defense, +6 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Enchanter’s Dragonplate: +4 Health Points, +5 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +2 Magic, +2 Vitality, +2 Dexterity, +12 Defense, +8 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Enchanter’s Dragon Gauntlets: +3 Health Points, +4 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +2 Magic, +2 Agility, +6 Defense, +5 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Enchanter’s Dragon Cuisses: +6 Health Points, +6 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +2 Magic, +2 Dexterity, +2 Agility, +8 Defense, +6 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Enchanter’s Dragon Sabatons: +4 Health Points, +6 Myana Points, +1 Strength, +2 Magic, +2 Vitality, +6 Defense, +5 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Enchanter’s Dragon Gorget: +10 Health Points, +10 Myana Points, +1 All Stats. Special Effect: When the effect of an Invoke-type Spell expires or is dispelled for another effect, increase all Stats by 10% for 10 seconds.

Always with the dragons.

As I read off the Stats, Ceres remained straight-faced while Destiny and Lara oohed and awed. Ceres carried the disposition of a person about to be sent out to battle, and she seemed to be enjoying every minute of it.

“Superb,” Ceres said, looking down at her gauntlets. “I owe Cailu my gratitude.”

“Yeah. I guess so.”

“Your tone suggests I should not be gracious.”

Way to call me out in front of the other maids.

“Just wishing I didn’t have to rely on him to get you better gear,” I admitted, dismissing the iPaw. “Trust me, I’ve had this conversation already.” And I wasn’t about to have it again. “I get that we need help, just feeling a bit, well… what’s the word?”

“Broke?” Lara asked.

“Depressed?” Destiny added.

Jesus, guys. It’s not that bad.

“Inadequate,” Ceres finished for me.

I snapped my fingers. “Yes, that’s the word. Inadequate.”

“You are hardly inadequate, Sir Matt.” Her tone turned serious, and she furrowed her brow. “Believe me when I say I have seen the alternative. Please allow others to assist. No single person can upheave the Defiled’s nature. Cailu is living proof. It will take the work of all three men to see Nyarlea’s future is a bright one.” Clutching the hem of her skirt, she curtsied. “I apologize if I have overstepped my boundaries.”

“You haven’t.” 

Ceres straightened her back. “Very well. I will do my very best while you are away. I wish to make you proud.”

“You always do, Ceres.” I glanced at Destiny, then at Lara. A part of me was at least happy to see that Tristan wouldn’t be traveling in San by himself.

Besides, he has Ravyn to guide him. The thought tightened my chest.

“Alright. I should get going,” I sighed. “Still gotta deliver Keke and Ravyn’s new sets.” Just as I grabbed the door handle, Ceres stopped me with a hand on my shoulder.

“Matt. May I offer one last piece of advice?”

I looked at her from over my shoulder. Her eyes dug into me with a sense of severity I seldom saw. Whatever she wanted to say was important.

“Sure. Go ahead.”

“I cannot stress this enough. Accept help when it is offered to you. Pride tarnishes even the finest heroes.”

Noted.

“Thanks, Ceres. I’ll see you shortly.”

I shut the door behind me and traveled the hallway at a brisk pace. There were still two sets of armor left to deliver, and the sun would soon be up. I pictured Cailu as the kind of dad sitting in the car with the engine on fifteen minutes before ass-in-seat time. But I couldn’t carry all of this by myself, and I wanted my girls to be geared.

Ceres’s words swam around in my thoughts.

Pride, huh?

dzBl0Qf.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One and Volume Two are available for pre-order now!

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons! 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Queen Toast, Carmine, DiscountDan, Ed

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, João Vene, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Allen Mainville, Centhi, John Mullaney, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Alex bagster-collins, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, Jeremy Burley, Koruscan, bb, Leedlee, Col Adamson, Michelle Hundt, Crimsoneye, Dan, Dave, Jonathan Dubreuil, Emily, ryan woodhouse, Grimmslyar, Matthew O’Donnell,  Skade, Spencer decouteau, Dan F, bryce white, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, jons jonsson, Poisonedmisery, John Smith, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, Charles McNab, Alex Quinn, CipherFTW, Colton, quin, David Garrison, Tonk, Riku DreamEater, blackwolf393, thecorncomes4u, Thomas Whelan, Twelve, ramtorio, phillip ince, hanani, ICE.Paragon, Zane Flannery, Blaze

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

3