Chapter 215: Antes Que Se Acabe
67 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

fohPXjj.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One and Volume Two are available for pre-order now!

When I went back to our room, Keke was lounging on the bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She yawned and rubbed her hands against her face.

“I thought we were supposed to be leaving,” she whined between her fingers. “I could have slept in longer.”

I smiled and took a seat next to her. “This is my last errand. Promise.”

She peeked over her fingertips and awarded me with a curious stare. “Errand?”

“Yeah.” I collected the final package of equipment from beneath the bed and handed it to her. “This is for you.”

Keke yawned again, then accepted the box. Her eyes widened as soon as the lid was off, and she poked at the lemon-colored fabric. “Armor?”

“A full set.”

“Matt…” She blinked, lifting the black leather choker into her hands. With a gasp, her expression turned to surprise, and her stare snapped to me. “Goddess above. Please don’t take this personally, but how did you pay for this?”

“I didn’t. Cailu bought all of us armor,” I admitted for the fourth time that morning. At least it was getting easier to say with repetition. Like memorizing useless Shakespeare plays in high school.

“Why?”

The blatant question made me laugh. “I’d wondered the same thing.” I picked a stray thread from the neatly folded yellow top. “As much as he gets under my skin, I think he’s trying to help.”

Lifting the single pauldron tucked at the side, Keke carefully inspected it with scrutinizing eyes. “He really spared no expense on this.”

“So I’m told.”

“Let’s not waste it, then.” With a resolved nod, she set the package aside and stood. “[Combat Mode].” Her casual clothing cast a warm glow before shifting to her tiger leathers.

“Do you want me to step outside?” I asked.

“No.” Keke tugged the striped scarf away from her neck.

“Should I turn around?”

“No.” A wry smile played at the corners of her lips as she reached around for the ties on her corset.

A bittersweet chill slid down my spine. I thought a few days of distance would have made this easier, but everything I felt for Keke crashed into me like a hurricane. 

Just enjoy the time you have, man. 

I stood and put a hand on her shoulder. “Let me help, then.”

“If you insist,” she teased, turning away from me.

I brushed her hair to the side and set to work on the leather ties. I memorized the curve of her back and the strong line of her shoulders as I worked, loosing the strings one by one. “Keke, can I tell you something?”

“Anything.” She pulled her hair over her shoulder, toying with the ends.

“I know that this isn’t forever and it’s only temporary. I’ve told myself that at least a hundred times in the last few days.” The ties came free, and the top separated from her back. I traced her spine with my fingertips, smiling as the goosebumps raised behind my touch. “But I’m going to miss you so damn much.”

“I’ll miss you too, Matt. A lot,” she replied, letting the bodice slide to her wrists. She wrapped her tail around my hips. “I think this is hard on all of us. More than any of us want to admit.”

I rested my hands on her waist, willing them not to slide forward and grope her exposed chest. Don’t let anyone say I wasn’t getting better at reading the room. “That’s a little comforting, at least.”

“We don’t want to worry you while you’re gone. You should be able to concentrate on Second Class without thinking we’ll crumple the moment you leave our sides.”

I bit my tongue. I wanted to argue with her, but the reality was that I was scared of exactly that. Somehow, if I couldn’t keep my eye on them, that would be the end of it. I opted for a grain of truth instead. “It’s not that I think you’re weak.”

“I know that, and they do, too. It’s just that everyone wants to put on a brave face. I mean, it’s what we’ve been doing since we were kittens.” She tossed the armor to the side and set to work on the buckles at the tops of her bracers. “My mom told me that one of the best things you can do for your friends during a rough time is stay strong.”

“That makes sense.” I followed the hem of her pants until I found the belt buckle. Resting my chin on her shoulder, I slid the strap free from the loops. 

“That doesn’t mean you always have to act strong, though,” she added. One bracer joined the discarded bodice, then the other.

“I just didn’t want to bring the mood down, I guess.”

“I know. And I didn’t want to force you to talk to me.” She leaned into my embrace and circled her arms behind her, resting them around my neck. “You know that I’ll be thinking of you every day while you’re gone, right?”

“I… wait, seriously?” Heat flooded my neck and face in a furious blush, and I got a little tongue-tied. To be honest, that was one of the nicest things anyone had ever said to me. Part of me outright rejected it—there was no way I deserved those words from Keke. But here she was, letting me roll her leggings down her hips, exposing her to the world save for a pair of black underwear. God, she smells incredible. 

Keke giggled, turning to kiss my cheek. “Seriously.” She dropped her arms and tail to step out of her pants. But before she went to retrieve her armor, she turned toward me and hugged me into a tight embrace. “I’ll be by your side again in no time. You’ll see.”

I stroked her hair and enjoyed her warmth against me. “Yeah. You’re probably right.”

Rocking forward on her tiptoes, she brushed her mouth against mine in a sweet, tender kiss. The nineapple juice she’d enjoyed at breakfast still lingered on her lips, and I savored her warm body against mine.

A harsh knock at the door interrupted us.

“One second!” I barked, hoping no one would barge through.

“Matt! Our entourage has waited a quarter of an hour for you to depart! Are you quite done?” Cailu bellowed.

Fuck. I guess it was only a matter of time before he started laying on the horn. I sighed. “Just five more minutes, Cailu. I’m finishing up right now.”

“Your time starts now! On my next visit, there will be no warning knock!”

“Fine! Like I said, I’ll be right there!” I shook my head.

One final knock. Then silence.

Keke laughed and slid from my arms, hurrying to free the armor from its case.

“‘There will be no warning knock,’” I mimicked under my breath.

“He has a point. I told you we should have left earlier,” Keke countered with a grin.

“Don’t you start, too,” I groaned. But thanks to her, my spirits felt higher. We’d finally get off this sand-packed hellscape. I would see forests again. A concept that felt so painfully foreign after so long in the desert. 

Keke dressed with impressive agility. For my part, I could only watch. There wasn’t much for me to help with on this set. 

The black leather bodice covered her entire torso and featured straps that criss-crossed over her chest with a round, ruby gemstone at their center. A golden half-jacket rested on top of it; the right sleeve flared just above the elbow while the other vanished beneath a golden pauldron. Black shorts cut high on the thigh while black leather boots rested just above her knees. Both were surrounded by a golden half-cape that fell from the belt at her waist. Green trimmings, black leather bracers, and her black choker with a golden buckle completed the ensemble.

Keke has gained: Stalker’s Hunting Ringlets!
Keke has gained: Stalker’s Hunting Vest!
Keke has gained: Stalker’s Hunting Gloves!
Keke has gained: Stalker’s Hunting Pants!
Keke has gained: Stalker’s Hunting Boots!
Keke has gained: Stalker’s Hunting Choker!

“I feel stronger,” Keke remarked, clenching her hands into fists as she marveled at the pauldrons. “What are the Stats on this?”

“Let’s see.” I summoned the iPaw and navigated to Keke’s equipment. Jesus. I slowly read each piece off to her.

Stalker’s Hunting Ringlets: +4 Myana Points, +3 Strength, +3 Dexterity, +4 Defense, +5 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Stalker’s Hunting Vest: +4 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +3 Dexterity, +2 Agility, +8 Defense, +6 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Stalker’s Hunting Gloves: +2 Myana Points, +1 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Agility, +5 Defense, +5 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Stalker’s Hunting Pants: +4 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Agility, +8 Defense, +6 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Stalker’s Hunting Boots: +2 Myana Points, +2 Dexterity, +4 Agility, + 5 Defense, +5 Magic Defense. Enchantable.
Stalker’s Hunting Choker: +5 Health Points, +5 Myana Points, +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Agility. Special Effect: Increases the duration of [Pinpoint Weakness] by 20%.

Keke shook her head, her face the picture of disbelief, and touched the gemstone. “Did Cailu tell you what ‘Enchantable’ means?”

“He did not.” Maybe the Nyarlean Wikipedia is feeling generous today. “Hey, Ai—”

The door slammed open, and a very frustrated Cailu stepped inside. “Enchantable gear can be further altered by an [Arbiter].” He gestured through the door with a sweep of his arm. “This I can explain and more during our journey to Nyarlothep. Which begins immediately.

I shared a quick glance with Keke, who looked like she was trying her best not to laugh.

“I’m ready if you are,” she said.

“Yeah.” I turned to Cailu. “I’m ready.”

wbNpb3g.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One and Volume Two are available for pre-order now!

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons! 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Queen Toast, Carmine, DiscountDan, Ed

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Flaming Moose

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, João Vene, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Allen Mainville, Centhi, John Mullaney, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, eroth, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Alex bagster-collins, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue, Mason Sudul, Jeremy Burley, Koruscan, bb, Leedlee, Michelle Hundt, Crimsoneye, Dan, Dave, Jonathan Dubreuil, Emily, ryan woodhouse, Grimmslyar, Matthew O’Donnell,  Skade, Spencer decouteau, Dan F, bryce white, Rosalee, OneBreadTooFar, SharktoothJack, jons jonsson, Poisonedmisery, John Smith, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, Charles McNab, Alex Quinn, CipherFTW, Colton, quin, David Garrison, Tonk, Riku DreamEater, blackwolf393, thecorncomes4u, Thomas Whelan, Twelve, ramtorio, phillip ince, hanani, ICE.Paragon, Zane Flannery, Blaze

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

3