Chapter 1: My fiancée is an oddball
647 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1

‘What have I gotten into?’

Theodore, or simply Theo, sighed for once in his life as he and his father, Edward, was on their way to Duke Karmellia’s house for his engagement to their young daughter. It was for purely political reason as well as it seemed that their daughter had once seen him in the castle and had instantly fallen in love. He remembered her staring creepily at him from a distance after he talked with his ‘friends’ and his mother. As for why he was in a castle? It may be a surprise but Theo is the 4th Prince of the Kingdom of Haelen and the one viewed to be the most likely to be the King of Kingdom of Haelen, much to the envy of other. But for him? It was a pain in the back. All he wanted was to research [Magic].

Ever since his birth, the concept of [Magic] of this world fascinated him and what led him to research it since he was 4. He could speak just a few months after his birth before he could even walk properly. He mostly spent more time in the [Royal Library] than with his mother! Which led him the problem of being labelled as a child prodigy after his research scribbles were seen by various Researchers. Which on hindsight wasn’t a good thing since every moves he makes is under heavy scrutiny from everyone. Added on top of it was his huge and still growing [Mana Pool] along with the [Blessing of God]. Now he could not freely delve into [Magic] as he was now being coached on intricate field of Royal Court. Not so subtle, his father’s intention.

In appearance, as he was 10 he already closely resembled his father. Blonde hair and emerald colored eyes, who had swooned countless ladies in his prime….. and still does with the inclusion of his 8th wife few days ago. Theo had yet to interact with her but from what he had heard, she was not even of Noble birth which garnered a lot of negative attention.

As Theo had nothing to do at the moment and was bored, he looked at his personal servant who was sitting across him in the carriage silently. His servant was the same age as him and was named as Siri. Long straight green hair with amber colored eyes as well as a lithe body and an androgynous face which set him apart from others. Theo had taken him from the slum after he had seen his potential and trained him in swordplay. Siri had even once saved his life by being fatally wounded by a blow meant for Theo which gained a favorable impression on his father who allowed Siri to be his personal servant.

Along with the popularity of possibly being crowned King, came the envy of most of his step mothers.

Which meant that there were hidden plots and the likes in the background for a tussle for the Crown which resulted in assassination plot here and there.

He looked outside from the carriage and stared at the familiar scene of cities made of stone that remained unchanged for centuries by a convenient force called “Magic”. Everything made luxurious only due to [Magic].

‘It was quite disappointing to be honest. We rely too much on Magic alone. There’s already intel that speaks of Anti-Magic field is in development in the neighboring Kingdom.’

Theodore thought as he tapped his arm. A habit when he was pondering something when suddenly Siri spoke up.

“It seems we have arrived, your Highness and your Majesty.”

Siri was extremely polite. Theo nodded as did his father. His father looked at Siri and spoke in a soft voice.

“Well Siri, you stay here and tend to the horses in the stable. We will be back in an hour or two at most. Even though you are Theodore’s…..”

The King hesitated as Siri understood what he meant.

“Yes, your majesty.”

Siri nodded respectfully before opening the door for him. Theo and his father, the King, stepped out from the carriage and in front of him was a massive iron barred gate. It was, of course, open with many maids and butlers by the side, welcoming them by scattering rose petals where they were walking. The road to the big mansion was quite long and so were the lines of maids and butlers who were busy scattering roses on their path. It was an uncomfortable situation made more uncomfortable by the looks that the servants were giving as if they had resigned themselves for death. Honestly, Theo was really contemplating to walk away from the scene.

‘It is to be expected that it will be grand but this is too…..’

Even the Royal Knights that came with him as well as his Father were creeped out, especially the knights. Father seemed to be more or less used to it as he could hear his father muttering something like ‘it’s too much for me’ and ‘is this engagement really for the best?’. Theodore felt that he was going to his own funeral since he had heard from his spies as he asked them to compile a report on his soon-to-be-fiancée. What he got wasn’t what he liked.

A short summary would be: Arrogant, Spiteful with a Short-fuse. She never seemed to notice those beneath her. He had to be extra careful in dealing with her. But then again, it was from the spy’s perspective. He had to see the real person to believe it.

Children could be like that in one point of life as they slowly got taught and molded as the future pillar of the Kingdom but this… he was not looking forward to it, if the rumors were actually true. So much that his stoic face was breaking from sheer depression. An emotion he thought was not within him. As for his fiancée, there was no use even if she had beauty but not the brain to go with it. Frankly he was disappointed with how the Duke Karmellia had pampered his only daughter.

At long last both of them reached the door which was opened by someone who seemed to the head Butler. He was well dressed, wearing glasses and with a well-trimmed white beard and a moustache. Theodore deduced it to be the head Butler because, common sense of Royalty, no one else was qualified after the Duke. Frankly, it surprised him a little to see someone so unperturbed by the scene they were causing outside. The Head Butler of House Karmellia was quite a famous man in the past. His name was…

“Mr. Sebastian.”

The old man bowed as he said in a respectful voice.

“Greetings to his Majesty. Your Highness remembers my name. This servant is quite flattered.”

Theodore faked a smile as he calmly replied.

“Everyone knows of the Head Butler of House Karmellia.”

Sebastian bowed once more as he said.

“Let me escort you to my Lord.”

“That would be wonderful.”

King Edward walked but not before coming close to Theodore’s ears and whispered in a strained voice.

“Be on your best behavior, Theo. Try not to lose composure, my son because in the next few minutes, your perception of Nobles in general will be blown away.”

Et tu What? Theodore squinted his eye at that. This was his father right? His father should have known how Theodore never loses his composure, wearing that mask of his with perfection. A must requirement in the court.

Onto the matter at hand, he had once seen Lord Karmellia at work. Lord Karmellia was strict and a perfectionist, he wouldn’t even hesitate to reprimand King Edward if he had made mistakes along with the Prime Minister. But looking at the scene outside, an uneasy feeling rose within him.

He could see his father’s eyes twitching a bit with the growing silence. Few moments later, his eyes turned wide as Theo just smiled and replied in a sweet-happy tone with so much emotions filled into it that it gave him goosebumps.

“I will try my best, father, so no need to get worried!”  

The King swore he could see flowers in the background. Edward looked pale as he felt a cold shiver go down his spine.

“Ok Ok stop it! Just be polite! Don’t lose your composure….. even though I still lose mine when I am near them…”

The last bit of the sentence was said in a small voice. Once again, Theodore never loses his composure. It was just his nature. Nothing could faze him.

Sebastian stood in front of the door as he knocked and opened the door. He said in a loud voice.

“His Majesty, King Edward and his son, his highness, Prince Theodore has arrived, my Lord.”

Theodore looked at the room in front of him.

10 minutes later

“………….”

Theodore’s eyes twitched along with his father’s at the sight in front of them. You could two beautiful grown-ups, one handsome man with silver platinum hair and sapphire blue eyes looking lovey-dovey with a beautiful woman with red hair and red eyes. Their display was so grand that it even put his display with his father earlier to shame. He could feel a whole garden blooming behind them. The serious man turned into a love-struck puppy was too much for him.

It was all going fine before this. They entered the big living room where the Duke of Karmellia was sitting on a couch. Both of them greeted each other and there was talk of engagement with some cup of lovely tea and biscuits. Suddenly, he heard something from outside the room.

“Hubby!”

The Duke stilled for a moment until the door opened forcefully. Then came one of the most beautiful woman he had seen. Red hair like that of a raging fire in contrast to the warm red eyes. He had to admit she was a looker. But more importantly, she had barged into a meeting. It was rude but looking at his unfazed father, it was as if he expected it and was used to it.

“Duchess Karmellia..”

“It’s Eddie!”

She practically hugged his father while smiling. It was so sudden that Theodore’s eye widened. He had never seen someone so…. so…. expressive with their affection. His father seemed uncomfortable and Theodore knew why. Because the room suddenly grew colder as he looked at the other side. Seeing an expressionless Lord Karmellia with shadow over his head as if promising death was scary enough. His father quickly shrugged off the hug as the Duchess gave her father a full-blown smile. Then suddenly, her eyes met his and her’s twinkled.

Then a few second later, he was practically glomped on as she lifted him up in the air and spun around.

“Ah! This is Eddie’s little boy! Oooooohh! You look just like him when he was a kid! So cute! You are going to be a charmer!!”

On hindsight, getting glomped on was a bad thing. The room’s temperature further decreased as the Lord Karmellia looked like he was about to really kill someone. Theodore had one thing to say in his mind.

‘Don’t be jealous of a kid! You are an adult!’

A few minutes later, he was brought down with the help of his father persuading the Duchess. The Duke actually pouted and the Duchess was actually head-patting the Duke. And they seemed to enter in the world of their own as they stared into each other’s eyes while blushing. His father was correct. His perception would change here. Theo looked at the couple with a little lost expression.

‘A warm family, huh….’

The Royal Family was just the opposite of this. Even your own mother sees you as a tool. Seeing the expression on his face, Edward smiled as he ruffled Theo’s hair. Edward said.

“Why don’t you go to the garden of Karmellia family? I have heard they have quite the collection since Duchess loves gardening.”    

The Duchess suddenly faced him and nodded vigorously.

“Ohhhh! Then he can meet Veronica! She is in the garden as well!”

Theodore sighed internally. It was now or never then. He bid them a polite goodbye earning a childish pout from the Duchess.

He was then guided by the Head butler to the garden which was on another place outside the Mansion. It seemed that the duke had commissioned to make a big Green house for his wife to plant varieties of plants. It was not a stretch to say that the place was almost half as big as the mansion. True to the rumor, it indeed had various plants and tree. He could smell the sweet aroma of the flowers.

‘One can clearly feel their mind relaxing in this place.’

The calm of the place was suddenly interrupted when one could hear a loud shriek.

“Veronica-sama!”

The Head butler looked at him while he nodded. They walked faster to the place where the sound had originated from. There one could see a maid tending a young girl lying on a bench. Sebastian moved extremely fast, crossing the 20m length between them in a matter of few milliseconds. Theodore was impressed with the man. However, Theodore walked slowly instead to observe his fiancée.

One would notice her porcelain like skin along with silver hair and red eyes. Then her doll like face without any blemish, well except for a fact that on one side of the forehead, there was a growing bump. From the conversation one could hear that the Head Butler was scolding her for trying to climb up a tree. Veronica really seemed out of it. Did the fall damage her head? It was not a good sign and apparently the Butler thought so as well. The Butler’s hand glowed blue as the bump on Veronica’s head grew small as he conjured up a water mirror for Veronica to see herself.

‘Hmm… [Water Magic] along with [Spirit Blessing]. [Water magic] is the next best magic at healing, right under the extremely rare [Light Magic].”

As there were [Blessing of the God] there was one with the spirit as well. In fact, [Spirit Blessing] is the most common. In a census for [Blessing], almost all of the Magic Users are blessed by some spirits while only few are blessed by Gods. It was also one of the few reason why others were sure that Theodore would be the next King.

“No wonder the old man is strong. He has a [Blessing] from a [Greater Water Spirit] afte-…….!’

Theodore felt as if the world had gone silent as his eyes twitched. Then his eyes suddenly turned golden as he could see something akin to a white fog on top of Veronica and entering her head. He frowned as he thought of a possibility.

[Possession]?

He did not dabble much on it as it was close to forbidden kinds of Magic. Though one can be released from it if quick action were to be taken. His Mana pool began to whirl as he was about use [Magic] when suddenly the girl looked confused at her surroundings. Then she looked at the maid and the butler then her eyes turned wide as she tried to explain something. The Prince narrowed his eyes as the maid and the butler did not seem to find anything strange with her. Then she suddenly looked at him and paled…..

“What?”

As if she saw a ghost. Her red eyes were shaking with….. fear? Veronica had left him with an impression back at the castle before. Her red eyes that did not betray an ounce of feeling then while staring creepily at him. But now? Was it due to possession. Theodore had to know. He walked towards them as she paled further. Theodore was now in front of her and she was… shaking? It was illogical. Was she possessed? No, she knew him, the horror in her eyes clearly betrayed her thoughts. He simply nodded and introduced himself with a small kiss on her soft small hand.

“I am Theodore Haelen, 4th Prince of the Kingdom of Haelen. Your Fiancé.”

He looked up and saw…. beet red face. Theodore coughed a little which seemed to get her out of her thought as she blushed even harder. He could even see smoke coming out of her head.

‘Hun? I thought it was inhumanly possible to get even more redder than that but somehow she did.’

Veronica simply did a curtsy as she stammered to reply.

“My.. my…name …i-is…. Veronica Karmellia, the Villainess…. Pleased ..to …meet ..you!”

Theodore tilted his head in confusion as did the others. The maid looked in shock while the Butler eyes widened. Who would declare themselves as a villainess? Theodore was confused for the moment but seeing the honesty in her eyes…

‘She does believe herself to be a villainess.’

He smiled, adding a flair of charm which got even the maids in the castle to do his bidding.

“Is that so? Then I will be the husband of the Villainess then?”

Just then the maid squeaked as her arms flailed around. Even Sebastian was sweating, after all Theodore was the one most likely to inherit the throne. He was the possible ruler of Haelen and now he was declared as a Villain. Seeing them squirm was a funny sight to Theodore.

“Veronica-sama! What are you talking about?!”

“Veronica-sama! Please reconsider your words carefully!”

Veronica panicked a bit.

“Eh! Eh!”

Theodore now wanted to know the reason why. It was the first time he was curious about something other than [Magic]. He looked at others and asked.

“Could you all kindly leave? I want to talk with my fiancée for a bit.”

“But…”

“It is only for a few minutes, not long.”

““…Ok.””

Both of them left the garden. His senses told him so, however there were a few secret guards posted here and there. His hand turned white as he casted a [Magic] silently.

[Silencio]

A transparent barrier appeared as it enclosed them. It was a barrier casted with silence. No one would hear them now and it was discreet enough that no one knew he had cast a magic. Veronica looked amazed at the barrier like a child. She tried touching it but then felt an unease behind her back. She turned around to see the Prince smiling. However, she got the shivers.

“So what was it about being a villainess?”

“Eeep!”

15