17.0
123 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rhuda spotted Trunks sticking out like a sore thumb. How could he not? 

For one, his dark blue suit made him look more like he was going to a executive corporate meeting instead of hanging out at the Mall. Along the same lines, his normally pulled back hair was loose and grazed just beyond his shoulders to catch the light and sparkle silver.

As if sensing, Trunks saw her approach. He smiled. "You made it."

"I did. Uhm...i-is there something wrong?" She asked, noticing he was eyeing her differently.

"No...no. I was just thinking how red really suits your dark skin."

Rhudas' tailed wagged happily at the compliment. He thinks I'm pretty, she thought to herself. But--that's right, Trunks is only doing this to be nice. It doesn't mean anything to him.

Her spirit sank.

"Hm? Do you feel bad?" Trunks asked as they walked into the Mall. 

"....No. I...have something to say, though." Rhuda took a deep breath and added, "I know that I'm older than you. And...I appreciate you being kind enough to go on a date with me, but..."

Trunks spirit sank, too.

Not even two minutes in and he'd already blew it. He gulped down a sudden knot in his stomach. It was a familiar knot, like an old friend from years ago, who came to life every time the Androids caught up to him. 

Trunks stopped walking. "Rhuda. Don't...don't...say it," he interrupted.

"Eh?"

"I know that you're older than me. It doesn't matter, okay? All that matters is that we both want to do this."

Rhuda thought over his words. She hesitantly asked, "Are you sure you're not just...feeling sorry for me?"

"Huh? N-No--not at all! W-well, I mean sure, I feel bad---but--" 

"I see. Well, thank you for the consideration, but...I'll be going now." Rhuda bowed and clacked her way through the crowd gathered, who had spotted the inheritor of Capsule out in public.

***

Bulma shoved Goku from the bush and said, "She's already leaving! We can't let that happen! Get out there! And take this!" She thrust a capsule into his palm. "It's a disguise."

"Wha..? What are you wanting me to do, exactly?"

"Just go! Think of something!"

Goku sighed at the sky and rubbed his head. "Sheesh. Alright, alright, I'll go..."

***

Rhuda stopped by the walkway to cross over to the parking garage when a hand tapped her shoulder. She looked over, seeing a tall man with a curled moustache, wearing harem pants and an open red wind jacket. 

He smiled wide. "Heya! I mean---" the voice deepened, "Hey little lady....I can't help but notice you're all alone."

She looked around. "I'm not all alone. There are plenty of people here..."

The strange man chuckled a bit and said, "See, that's where you're wrong." He lifted his hand and pointed to Trunks, who was standing at the door watching with a sour look on his face. "Hey! You! I uh, I challenge you to a duel!"

Trunks pointed to himself with a raised brow. "M-Me? Uhh..."

What an odd person, Rhuda thought. 

It became even more odd. The weirdo grabbed Rhuda to him and cackled up at the sky, "Ah ha ha!" To Rhuda he smirked before the two seemingly vanished in the crowd.

Rhuda tried to yank her arm free but it was like fighting against a metal beam. "L-Let me go!" She shouted. 

The man shook his head. "No can do."

"Why are you doing this?"

That made the man pause. He appeared to stumble over himself but answered, "Because I uh...I fell in love at first sight! Yeah. And you're going to be my...girl! Got it?"

"..."

**

Trunks hovered over the crowd before spotting Rhuda down below, struggling to get free. 

He grit his teeth. "Fine. Whoever that guy is, he picked a bad day to mess with me."

Putting his hands on either side of his face Trunks said, "Rhuda, cover your eyes! Solar Flare!"

White light burst from Trunks and covered the surrounding area. There were screams and shouts of confusion, and Rhuda squinted open her eyes to see Trunks making his way to her and the strange man.

"This is the end of the line." Trunks warned. "Let the girl go."

But the creep smirked like it was all part of his master plan, and flicked his dark eyes over to Rhuda. "...And if I don't? I dunno, I kinda like holding her."

"Why you--!"

Trunks vanished.

He slugged the man into a building, snatched Rhuda and the next thing she knew they were both on top of the Mall, hovering. 

Trunks looked down at his damsel in distress. "You okay, Chisato?"

"I--" Rhuda was touched by Trunks' efforts. He not only rescued her but had remembered her real name. She nodded. "I'm fine...thank you."

As if a million thoughts swam in his eyes Trunks set her down carefully. He dropped to one knee and said, "Listen. When I asked you out today it wasn't from pity. I enjoy being with you. It's true I feel bad for what happened before we met, but that's not why I want to date you."

"T-Then...why is it?"

His neck warmed. Trunks stared at her curvy legs as he said, "Truthfully? I...I'm really attracted to you. I want to know more about you, Chisato."

"..." Rhuda went silent. She gazed at his flustered face and slowly said, "I think that Trunks is the most handsome guy I've ever saw.  I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I'm...not really used to anyone really wanting to be with me. I-If it's okay with you, c-can we start over, maybe?"

With a smile Trunks nodded. "Yeah. I'd like that."

Hand in hand they jumped from the roof and disappeared into the Mall. 

Bulma let out a sigh, "Thank goodness."

Goku pulled off his moustache, "Yeowch! That stings!"

"Oh can it!" Bulma said, "You almost ruined it! What the heck did you think you were doing, taking off with her?"

"Eh he he he! Okay okay, you caught me. It was kinda fun to mess with him."

The sun set on West City. Trunks and Rhuda walked through the Mall together and had a good time looking through interesting and obscure shops. Eventually though, Rhudas' feet grew tired and Trunks offered his back. She climbed on him and they walked out of the Mall just as the street lights came on.

"It's night." Rhuda said, stating the obvious.

"Yeah. It's really quiet now. Totally different from earlier." Trunks agreed. He edged out of the entrance just as a memory entered into his mind like a hit from a cement truck.

["Gohan! Wait up!" Trunks yelled.

His mentor turned around with a solemn expression. Around them were the corpses of a once thriving West City, freshly charred. Their stricken faces stared up at him like something out of a horror movie. Trunks moved forward, stepping over a child who was now unrecognizable.

"They did this, Trunks." Gohan said as his student caught up. "Those androids killed all of these people."

"I..just can't understand why." Trunks replied. His eyes filled with tears. "And why did it have to happen to us? Why...now?"

"We don't get to pick when bad times come. But...we can pick how we react." Gohan pet Trunks head. "It's up to us to stop this. Are you going to fight or run away?"

Trunks set his jaw firmly and looked across West City, seeing the Mall with it's toppled roof and missing windows. "...I'm going to fight."

"Then you'll have to train hard."]

The memory made Trunks' eyes burn. He glanced at the now fixed and repaired sidewalk, no remnants remaining of the end of the world. It was a life time ago but at the same time, just like yesterday to him.

"Trunks...? Everything okay?" Rhuda asked.

"F-Fine. I was just uh...remembering something."

"I see. Can I ask what it was?"

He sat her down from his back and nodded. "Yeah. Well...I used to patrol at night here with Gohan. It was just the two of us. Usually...it was safe to come out at night. At least, we thought it was. But...that night he died...I...I was just over there." Trunks pointed off down the street, "It's fixed now, but then it was just ruins. Gohan...to save me...he knocked me unconscious, and went to fight them alone."

Rhuda didn't quite know what to say. She slowly took his hand in hers and twined her fingers through his, trembling. "...I thought I had a hard life. I see now that...there's more than one way to suffer."

Trunks' blue eyes glint. He pulled her to his chest. "Yeah.."

They embraced for a time. Though both of them had different difficult times in life, a common ground was found at the base, where all emotions mixed together. 

Moonlight bounced from them and reflected a young couple who had no idea they would change the world. 

4