Episode 10 – Suddenly A Busy Month…
1.2k 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

6 year old (May-SY102)


 

Leyford Mechanical Festival is an annual event involving the exhibition of various mecha. It is sponsored by Leyford Heavy Industry, a division of Leyford Group, to promote usage and further development of mecha.

Leyford Heavy Industry itself is one of the main core business division of Leyford Group as well as one of its first business divisions. It deals mainly in spaceship and MECHA manufacturing business. It even sells military-grade MS to many countries.

Back to the festival, the festival main event is a MECHA Suit or MS sport competition, 'The Pacific Mechanical Cup'. It consists of a free for all general division and a selective school division.

The whole event consists of score race preliminaries, with the top 8 will participate in finals for each division. Though if a team place within top 8 in both general division and school division scoring, they may also join for both the general division finals and school division finals.

But in practice, top general division teams always score higher than top school division teams, so if a school team place in top 8 in general division scoring they automatically gain right to general division finals, but not vice versa.

Ah maybe it's easier if I just mention that the preliminary is both for general and school division, but with school division final is more exclusive, requiring that they represent a K-12 school.

Our MECHA club will also participate in the MS competition, so I have been busy refitting club MS.

"How is it, Chief?"

"Ah, Club Pres. I just refactored the autokinetic code based on your practice performances and simulator data."

"Hmm? Autokinetic code? You can even reprogram that?"

"Well it's not too hard if you learn EMSL. It just needs quite a bit of your performance data for the parameters. Though, there is still not enough data from each of you. So I used some assumptions and use adversarial training parametrization to compensate. I don't guarantee the result, but it should at least be better than the generic autokinetic system."

"Haha, I don't get half of what you are saying. But I get it will be easier to move around now?"

"That basically how it is."

"Great, should I go practice now?"

"Ah, please wait a bit, I'm still running a calibration program after uploading the code. You can do a run in the simulator first. It should have finished by then."

...

"Huh what is this? This is incredible. I don't know what things really changed, but somehow it just move the way I want it to move."

"That's because I set the autokinetic system to match your behavior, President. Even just a simple change like this can increase performance up to 30%. Well it's mainly because the factory-made autokinetic code just sucks in the first place."

"It is a simple change...?"

"In the first place, autokinetic system was put in place to assist the pilot controlling small-movement behavior of their MS. Depending on piloting behavioral type, there can be various improvement to be made. Especially for the clumsy ones, autokinetic system can help greatly. That's why ideally you would custom code the autokinetic system depending on the pilot."

"I see. So I get it you have been studying our performance data, and make improvement to the code depending on it. Something like that?"

"That's a bit too much of a simplification, but yes, basically something like that."

"Nice, Chief. With this we can win the competition."

"Nmm~ it will probably hard for general division. But we should aim for the top in the school division. Looking at past data though, we do have a fair chance in general division. But really President, don't get your hope too high for general division."

"Well, general division teams are strong after all, I guess I can accept that."

"All that's left will be yours and other seniors' skills. Please do your best."

"Leave it to us, Chief."

...

Now that I'm done with the club MS refitting, the rest is up to the seniors' piloting skills.

I also have my own practice. Though rather than another practice in the simulator, it's my electrokinesis practice. The Professor gave me several of her past research notes before. In it is several ability control training especially for electrokinesis esper.

My basic ability is electrokinesis, but what is this? How could I actually do it?

Using basic assumption of anomalogy, angle particle is emitted from around my body and decay into any particles that can modify the surrounding electric field or potential, basically any charged particles.

The question of what kind of particles the angles decay to seems to vary. Most of the decayed particles are electrons and positrons, though there are other heavier charged particles mixed in as well. Each individual electromaster will produce his own different mixture of those. Or so what the observed data so far says.

What's clear is that, somehow electromaster can control surrounding electric field and/or quantum fluctuation to significant degree such that it results in electrical sparks from around electromaster body flowing to the target desired, or variation of it.

Another thing that's still confusing is how to improve ability control and capacity of an angel. There are evidences that just frequently using your ability will improve both control and capacity to significant degree.

There are also evidences that say knowing some theoretical background in electromagnetic theory will improve ability control of the electromaster. While the result is statistically significant, it is also unreliable in its resulting effect.

In some cases just knowing basics of the theory will allow significant improvement in ability control and even overall output, in other case knowing even the most advanced form of the theory only results in minimal improvement. It seems there is something like inherent talent mixed in as well.

Then there is emotional effect. It's widely known depending on the ability type, different emotions will result in different type of output. For example, pyromasters' fire making output highly correlated to their anger's level. The more angry a pyromaster is, the bigger their fire output.

For electromaster, the most relevant emotional state seems to be focus. I don't really get it either what it means to 'focus'. But Professor said that I am already naturally born focused person, that's why I have high degree of electrokinesis conrol ability. I still don't get it though.

Now regarding my ability, according to the measurement, I can produce up to 10 million volt per meters. 10 million volt, that's typical end to end potential difference of a lightning bolt1(1)reference. Of course I need really hard effort and even Professor's help to do it. Even so, Professor forbid me to attempt anything above 50V unsupervised. It is just too dangerous.

For participating in the research, Professor even rent an empty classroom for me to practice in. The classroom is now modified into a big Faraday cage filled with various practicing and measurement instruments. I also learnt how to use those instruments so I can do my own practice and measurement.

...

Since my ability is electrokinesis, I wonder if I can control my body nervous function, or my whole body for that matter. For example can I lift a car by enhancing my muscle activities through a fine-tuned electrokinesis?

In the game, there was also an electromaster character. But she does not seem to be able to perform strength enhancing electrokinesis. At least, on the whole course of the game, I didn't see her perform some incredibly strong feat.

When I question this to the Professor, she answered with affirmative, but further forbid me from trying and experimenting myself since it might have adverse effect on my growth or even hurt me outright.

She said that there were several known strongman electromasters who tried this whole business of fine-tune control of their muscles to enhance their physical strength or perform some crazy strength feats. Some of them did achieve great success in it, but some others also fail miserably.

From those, there are some who got their muscles ripped apart from overloading their body. Some others got muscle atrophy somehow. So it is really not something you want to do without an expert supervision.

There do exists fairly robust training regimes for strength building electromaster. Though apparently it's military secret, so even the Professor will get into troubles for spreading it around. Though when I casually asked if she can teach me those training regimes the Professor mentioned, "Maybe once you grow a bit more, or when there is interesting experiment requiring that." She does not seem to mind so much about military secret rather than whether adding such training menu will adversely affect her own experiments.

It seems I can coax her to tell me the secret later. Of course it is only for the sake of knowledge. Knowledge see..? My goal is totally not to show off. But for science!! Science okay?!!

...

... ...

... ... ...

"Professor, there is something I want to try."

"Hmm? What is it, Boy? If it is interesting then do tell me."

"I wonder if I can produce visual images on my view. Something that only I can see."

"You mean directly controlling your optical nervous system?"

"Something like that."

"Hmm, I don't see what this for."

"How about using it as a replacement to mental cue?"

Yes, while you can control angel ability unconsciously, or semi-consciously using will alone, it's much more effective to use some kind of trained mental cue to control your ability.

"You mean?"

"Rather than unreliable or training-needed mental cues. We can complement or even outright replace most of the mental cues with visual ones."

"We can just use images and videos for that though."

"Professor, that would be inefficient and quite limited."

"Ahh, now you mention it. Yes that's right. I see. So it's something like that. Hmm. You are really a smart boy, Boy."

The Professor seems to understand what I mean. But just in case, let's confirm.

"While using mental cue can achieve high degree of control, it still needs training. And the more complex electrokinetic operation, the harder it is to do, and it also needs longer training. It will also be less reliable. Using visual cue, won't we be able to more effectively control it more finely?"

"Yes. That's true."

"Also while using picture is fine. Won't it be more effective to just project the cue directly in my eyes? That way I can control it myself. Basically higher degree of fine tuning. With this the training for each operation also seem to be shorter and easier.

"Is that all?"

She seemed interested a short while ago. But now she seems to be quite disappointed.

"Is that a no go...?"

"No. Actually I think it's great idea, Boy. But you just don't go far enough. There is more than that. Well, at least I can give you a passing grade for that alone."

"There is more, Professor?"

"Yes, instead of mere visual cues. You can build a visual model directly projected into your eyes. From there you can control various complex operation. Think of computer directly connected to your brain that can control various electrokinetic operations."

"Ah, maybe I can even control my whole body nervous system with it either."

"Yes, you can even control your whole body with high degree of precision. That would still take quite a bit of training though. So start learning human biology, Boy. Also focus especially on optic nerve system."

"Yes, Professor."

I also got a nice idea when the Professor mentioned computer. Maybe...

...

... ...

... ... ...

Tomorrow is the first day of the festival.

The festival venue will be in Allison Sport Complex, a large sport complex on a small island to the west of Leyford Island. The sport complex itself only take about 10% of the island area. The rest of the island consists of various terrains artificially engineered by Leyford Group's team of colonial engineers.

Some events of the MS competition will not be conducted inside the complex facilities though, but in the various terrains outside of the complex.

The festival will be about a week long so we will also stay over there. I will miss school for a whole week, but since it's recognized as formal club activity, I got permission for it along with everyone in the club.

My main job during the competition will still be as the club team chief engineer. Along with several seniors we will perform maintenance, repairs, and various needed modifications on the MS during the whole course of competition.

To go to the island we first ask a transportation service to bring our MS and servicing equipment onto the island. While we ourselves will go there using an MRT train. We will be accompanied by our club advisor.

Some of the seniors' parents also will accompany us during the whole week. Unfortunately Mom can't accompany me, since she was told by doctor to rest at home.

The reason is... she is pregnant.

Knowing that they will be far apart for quite some time, Dad and Mom did something crazy. Or so what Mom told me when I subtly inquired before.

I wonder if it will be boy or girl. I guess I'm a little bit excited.

In the past I did have little brothers, but at that time they just seem kinda pop out of nowhere. Without knowing anything suddenly there was someone else by my side.

Now that I'm more knowledgeable about such thing, I guess I can have a little bit expectation.

...

"Have you prepare for tomorrow, Sena?"

"Yes, Mom."

"Cloth change?"

"Enough for a week."

"Ebook?"

"It's always on my hands."

"[ID card]?"

"In the bag."

"Show it."

"Here."

"Good. Remember to put everything back into their proper place after you finished using them."

"Yes, Mom."

"Especially the ID card, you kept forgetting it."

"Yes yes, Mom. I will remember this time."

[ID card] is exactly what it means, an identity document in form of a card. It is very similar to the previous earth in its main function.

But rather than only card with chip, [ID card] here also function as something like past earth smartphone/mini computer.

You can use it to communicate with someone or do some light computing with it. Light by this world standard of course.

You can also plug it into a computer terminal if you want larger computing power or larger screen. There are also many public terminals spread around the city.

Though if you are a bit desperate there are also portable terminal with varying sizes and form factors designed for various purposes. From the form of past Earth bulky laptop for heavy working on the go, to a foldable screen terminal for presentation or makeshift cinema.2(2)Imagine this corning video.

"Milly, can you check the suitcase if there are really enough clothes for a week?"

"Certainly, Madam."

Milly is the maid hired to help with the housework.

"There is enough, Madam."

"Good."

Like that Mom also asked Milly to check my luggage 3 more times before going the next early morning.

...

... ...

... ... ...

The next morning.

Arriving at the complex, we begin putting down our luggage and conducting a team debriefing on what to do during the whole event, mainly about the competition.

"The preliminaries will start this afternoon, after the opening ceremony, and will last until Wednesday morning. Are you all prepared?"

"Yeah!!" "Yes."

"Good. First the goal this time is to win the top in school division. We have always been in the top 3 in the school division. However this time with the help of our chief engineer I'm fairly confident we can definitely win the first place this time, so I expect no less. Understood?"

"Understood, Ma'am."

"First the division of duties. The pilot team, I and other 8 people, as decided before will focus on practice and tactics in this competition. Our main job will be to devise tactics to be used and to communicate it mainly with the engineering team as well as practicing for the sport events. Though the preliminaries will only be sport events, studying other teams' performances here should give us a good estimate on their MECHA capabilities. Pilot team?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"The engineering team main duty is maintenance, repair, and refit before, during, and after an event. You are mainly responsible for supporting the pilot team with technical side of things. You are to report and consult to the Chief for any problems or questions. Engine team?"

"Yes, President."

The competition format will be total score race for the preliminaries and elimination tournament for the final events.

In the preliminary, all the teams compete in various events not quite unlike that of typical sports such as sniping target, scouting and finding object, terrain freerunning race, and others. The event type usually vary annually, though there are staple events appearing every year, like the ones previously mentioned. 8 teams with highest scores will be the ones entering finals.

In the finals, 8 teams will compete in elimination tournament. Each round of the tournament will be free battle between 2 teams in randomly decided terrain. Each team may consists of up to 3 MECHA.

In the free battles, 2 teams will face off against each other trying to disable each other MECHA with live ammunition and real weapons. The MECHAs are remotely disabled after sustaining certain level of damage calculated by an analysis program. It is a little bit dangerous that is why there are various safety mechanisms and rules in place.

First, the ammunition and the weapons used are provided by the organizer. So only standardized and reduced firepower weapons will be used in the competition.

Second, the analysis program is designed such that any damage to the cockpit is weighted highly, so that it's usually an instant disabling after the more dangerous face offs.

Third, each MECHA will also be installed with remote disabling program that can be controlled by the jurors overseeing the rounds. So that the jurors reserve a right and power to stop rounds in case something dangerous.

Then there are more ethical rules usually implicitly agreed upon by the participants. Like, the goal is to disable not to destroy. Safety first rule.

There are also various chapters and standard rulings on MECHA free battle competition to ensure the safety of the pilots. That's why jurying free battle usually done by experts.

After all these rules and code of conducts, the accident rate for free battle reportedly dropped down to 1 per 100 rounds. Accident defined as any damage received to the pilot even as minor as a minor bruise. It is said a mathematician estimated the KIA rate to be 1 in a 100 000 rounds.

To illustrate, 'The Pacific Mechanical Cup' typically has 16 rounds for the free battle event in finals. Rounding up to 20 for easy calculation, you need 5 000 years for a person to be killed, since it's an annual event. Though statistics doesn't really work that way, but just showing how rare it should be.

The point is, the free battle event is supposedly very safe. Supposedly.

...

After a short debriefing, me and 13 others of engineering team will do a final check on all the MS. The pilot team is preparing and maybe warming up before the preliminaries this afternoon in the simulator room.

...

A 15 meter tall black and bulky figure is standing proudly on a platform. In its hand is a fittingly huge rifle-like gun aiming front.

Somewhere around 200 meters in front of the figure standing are several gaping holes on the floor.

Suddenly drones appear from each of the floor opening.

*Bam Bam Bam*

"Perfect shot."

"OOOOoooohhhhhh!!!!"

The audiences cheer at the performance of the MS and its pilot.3(3)something like this, source: google image

The current event is called [Rapid Multi-Sniping]. It can be described quite simply as quickly as possible with the minimum number of ammo  downing drones charging at the MS. By the way, the drones also carry weapons, so it's recommended that they are downed as quickly as possible so they won't inflict damange on the MS, especially when there will be more events later on.

...

"Good job, Senior."

"Yeah, Chief."

"How was the overall performance?"

"It's great, Chief. Especially the tracking program, it can even track fast-moving drones. I just needed to adjust the aiming and push the trigger. The next thing I know the drones are downed."

"It's not really reliable though. And the response time is still not good enough. Even more so, it puts unnecessary burden on the autokinetic and stabilizer system. Any small disturbance will make the shot miss. Also after certain number of shots, the aiming need to be readjusted or it will be offset too much to it. You were also lucky today weather is perfect."

"Eh really? I think it's that good though."

"Well it's good enough for competition. As long as the weather is good."

"Well... By the way, next is [Move Line] is it?"

[Move Line] is a freerunning event where you move from a position to another position trying to be in as straight line as possible. The score calculation will be how fast and how straight the movement is from the starting point to the finishing point.

The straightness will be measured by a spotter drone, after that the score will be calculated by factoring in the timing. The straightness in this event is as measured from the drone position, so engineering team also has to calculate and do analysis on what possible, plausible, and most optimal route to take from the point of view of the spotter drone.

There are also various obstacles which may warrant some specialized equipment to pass quickly and/or straightly. Engineering team need to prepare for that too.

There are also more seemingly impossible to cross obstacles. In these cases, the engineering team has to do more analysis on which path to turn so as to make it as straight as possible from the spotter drone viewpoint.

Basically, the one busiest in this event is the engineering team.

Me being the head of engineering team means I have to do extra for this part of the competition.

"It will be fine, I already did the necessary analysis. It won't be too hard. It will depend on the President piloting skills though."

While engineering team is the busiest, the event itself also rely heavily on the skills of the pilot. Often the most optimal route is one that needs the MS to do certain degree of acrobatic movement.

"That is, don't worry, Chief. Among the school division, our president is the best when it comes to piloting skills."

"Is that so?"

"One of the reason she became the club president was because the previous president vouching for her because of her piloting skills."

"I see. If it's something like that. Then we should have already secure a spot for the finals."

"Yes, the aim this time is to be the top in preliminaries too. The money prize is quite decent you know, Chief."

"Yes yes I know it."

With the prize money, the president want me to build an ion drive for the club mecha. Well it's story after we win though.

...

"Move Line event, competitor entry number 17, Matilda Brouwer. Please get on the starting point."

Oh it's president's turn now. 17 is our team entry number. Still though, to be honest it's the first time I heard the president's name. I was used to call the president with president. Everyone in the club too, never calls the president with her name.

So it is Matilda Brouwer huh. Eh, where did I hear the name? Did it appear in the game too? It must be pretty minor character if so. I don't remember her at all. Still though, looking at her previous performance, her skill is incredible for a minor character.

"Do your best, President!"

"Ah, leave it to me."

...

"On your mark, get set, go!"

...

A humanoid mecha began to run on a straight line in a plain.

"First obstacle, small forest with trees of height 40 meters on average."

"It's easy."

The mecha then nimbly moving through the forest while evading trees along the way.

"Incredible, she manages to keep the deviation rate under 10% in forest that heavy."

"Next, Chief."

"Next, a wall of 30 meters high, length to each sides 30 meters. Thickness is... just blast through it."

"Blast them through!"

Instead of moving around the wall of only 30 meters to the side, it punched the wall, an explosion come out of its fist right at the point of contact, blasting away a central portion of the wall, forming a hole.

"Third obstacle, a swamp."

"Surfing module ready, thruster submodule full power!"

The mecha pulled out a flat board from its back and threw it over the swamp. It then jump onto slightly off one side of the board. Right when it lands, a jet came out of the back side of the board propelling it forward, surfing over the water surface.4(4)Imagine a surfing or snowboarding on water but with a jet attached to the board instead.

"What an incredible balance."

"It's easy. Next, Chief!"

...

"Last obstacle, downhill with several aggressive drones."

"Switch firing mode to weak assist. Movement mode to strong balance. Let's see how many I get to shoot down today!"

*Bam Bam Bam*

...

"Good job, President."

"It's too easy, too easy. The last one was quite fun though."

"You are really incredible. No wonder other seniors said you are the best pilot in school division."

"It's normal. It's normal."

"Especially in the last one. The last obstacle was particularly difficult since you are supposed to either avoid or down the aggressive drones while moving in high speed downhill. Moving downhill at high speed itself puts high burden on the autokinetic system. I see, so you switched the firing to weak assist to release the burden and redirect autokinetic resource to load balancing."

"Yes, it's really thanks to you. Without your adjustment before, it will be really hard to down those drones. I would be forced to do more evasive maneuvers and the deviation rate will suffer."

"Still though, rapid multi-sniping at high speed. Are you a genius?"

"It's something normal. Even my brother can easily do it."

"President, your brother is a professional mecha athlete." remarked a senior.

"That has nothing to do with it, it's really easy if you practice enough."

Is it really just practice? We wonder at the President's statement. Probably a mix of talent and practice.

"Either way, with this, what place we are?"

"It's obvious from the start but we still hog the first place in school division."

"General division?"

In the preliminaries, it’s only score race, so school division competitor also included in the general score race.

"You are still hoping for general division? Incredibly we are dead right at the 8th place right now."

"Ohh 8th place. With this we can join the general division finals too. It's all thanks to you, Chief."

"Only if we can manage to keep the place, okay?"

Only the top 8 in each divisions can duke it out in the finals.

"Besides, are you sure we are participating too in the general division?"

"Is it impossible Chief?"

"It's not really impossible, but the cost for repair will be abysmal. Even just participating in the school division finals is already a burden on the club budget."

I know because I asked the treasurer senior before.

The finals is basically mecha battle in randomly picked terrain. So, usually there are various repairs and maintenance after each rounds.

"It's fine it's fine. We can use the money prize for topping the school division preliminaries."

"Wasn't it supposed to be used for the sequential ion drive?"

"Geh, we just need to win the top 3. Also winning the school division finals."

"So optimistic aren't we?"

"Yes, I'm sure we can win this time. All thanks to your assistance, Chief."

"No, what I'm doing is just a slight refit to the machine. It's not something that significant. After all, in the end the machine performance depends more strongly on the pilot."

"Not quite, Chief. Even a good pilot need a good machine suiting them. So please don't be modest."

"It's thanks to the both of you." said a club senior.

"Well if it's like that, everyone also did their best. So it's thanks to everyone in the club effort." declared the President

"Oohh!!" everyone in club affirmed the Pres' declaration.

...

... ...

... ... ...

The night before the first day of the finals.

"You are still up, Chief?"

"Ah, President. Is there something else?"

"No, I just want to feel the wind. I guess I'm a bit anxious."

"I thought you are already used to it?"

"I guess. It's the first time we are entering the general division since the previous president's term end though. By the way, what is that? A ball?"

The president about to touch a green colored ball shaped thing.

*Touch*

"Hello. Hello. Hello." "Eekk."

Suddenly a pair of hands pop out of the green ball thing.

"Hello. Hello. Hello."

"Ah, sorry. I'm still working on it, President. Sorry to startle you."

"H-huh?? What is this?"

"This is [Hello]."

Originally it's something inspired from a popular mecha animation series in the previous Earth. It seems I can easily make it in this world. 5(5)For you who watch gundam, yes, it’s a tribute to haro

"Hello?"

"Hello. Hello. Hello."

"What is this robot for?"

"Not for anything really. It's something useless. You can even call it the most useless robot ever."6(6)reference from here. The imouto edition is interesting btw.

"Huh??"

"All it does are only saying hello, repeating some simple sentences like a parrot, and follow you around."

"That's all?"

"That's all."

"Why would you make something like this? A prototyping practice?"

"mnn~, I guess it's partly that. Though actually it's a birthday present."

"Birthday present? For..? Ah, is it for that short-haired girl who almost everyday coming over just to see you in the club?"

"Huh, she comes over everyday?"

I remember Reo sometimes coming into the club, usually because I forgot something like my lunch or because someone, usually Ms. Greta, calling for me. Rarely though, she did come to the club to ask me to help with her extra homework she hard really hard time with. But, I never thought she would come everyday.

"Yes. She always come almost everyday. Though usually you are too focused in the simulator or with the computing terminal. And she always seem hesitant to call you out."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. Should I call you out instead when she comes next time?"

I think a bit before answering.

"Un, please call me out next time, Pres."

"Okay, I will do that."

*Yawn* The President yawned.

"You should go to sleep now, Pres. You have match tomorrow." *Yawn*

I heard yawn was infectious, it seems it's true.

"You too, Chief. You are still in growing period you know. If you don't sleep enough, you will stay short."

It was don't play enough, now it is don't sleep enough, eh?

"Is it? Really?"

"Of course. It's what my mom said. It can't be wrong."

Are all kids in this world always this obedient to their parents? I wonder if parents of the previous Earth will be envious.

"Ahaha... I see.."

"Anyway, let's go to sleep now."

"Let me clean up a bit, first."

"I will help."

"Thanks."

Like that, I clean up while being helped by the President. After that we go back to our respective dorm room to sleep.

...

... ...

... ... ...

"What do you think, Chief?"

After watching a video summarizing various teams participating in the finals, my opinion was asked by a senior.

"For school division it seems we have high chance of winning. Of course anything can happen, but from looking at the few last days performances of other teams, as long as nothing unexpected happens we should be able to win all the rounds."

"The generals?"

"To be honest, it's difficult. Pilotwise and technicalwise we are quite a bit behind other teams."

"Do we really stand no chance?"

"I'm not saying that. But to be honest, aside of the president, our team pilots are overally inferior for a general competitor team."

"Sorry for being incompetent."

"Ah, sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's just that general division teams' pilots seem more experienced. Well they are all older than you all, Senior. So they should have spent longer time being pilot."

"They are professionals after all."

"Technicalwise, they also have better MECHAs. And probably better equipment and modules. It's definitely not something that a school club like ours can have."

"Well they are pro teams."

"Huh they are pro teams?"

"You didn't know, Chief? The general division competition is free for all. So some pro teams also play in it for the money. It's mostly independent backup teams though."

"I see. Well it's good if the President can lose in just one round then. The repair expense will be minimized."

"C-Chief..."

...

"From here on is the final of The Pacific Mechanical Cup. All entrants are entering the main stadium."

...

"Ready. Aim. Fire!"

In a small forest clearing, two teams of MECHA each consists of 3 varying mecha start firing at each other while moving towards the forest cover away from rain of bullets.

One side was full of bulky mecha, while the other with more balanced configuration of bulky, lean, and well-proportioned mecha.

...

"I will hold them back, you two move deep into the for--" "Bam"

A rather bulky mecha lunge at another bulky one from the side.

"Captain!" *Brrrrrpp Brrrrrrrrrrpppp*

Seeing its teammate who was standing before suddenly crashed onto the grounds, one of two mecha standing next to each other starts firing at the sudden attacker.

"Idiot! Stop firing! It will hit the Captain too."

"Tch."

*Brrrrrrrrrrpp* A barrage of bullets suddenly rains over the two.

"Quickly to cover!" one of the two mecha returning the fire.

"As if I will let you!" Suddenly a lean mecha holding a pair of swords appear out behind a tree charging towards the two mecha.

*Brrrrrrppp Brrrrrrpp* Responding, another one of the two mecha starts firing at the uninvited visitor.

Undeterred, the lean mecha nimbly avoid the line of fire while using its swords' flat to block the remaining bullets while keep encroaching on the two mecha.

"It's fast!"

*slash*

Using its sword, the lean mecha slice off rifle and hands of the mecha firing at it.

"Gah!" *Scratch* The lean mecha then quickly make a scratch on the chest of the mecha using its sword's tip.

*Puuut* Inside the scratched mecha cockpit, all lighting suddenly goes off.

"Gahh!! Dammit!"

"Disabled?!! What's with that very precise control?? To hit the well covered cockpit directly."

*Brrrrrrrrppp* Seeing its team mate was disabled, the other mecha starts redirecting its fire at the lean mecha while moving away from it.

The lean mecha quickly move behind a tree.

On another side, a bulky mecha was having a wrestling match with another bulky mecha. Though before long, it became clear that one is overpowering the other.

"President! Help!! My machine can't last much longer!"

"I know I know! Just hold on a bit more." The lean mecha quickly move behind the overpowered mecha.

"Let it go now!"

"Yes!"

Suddenly the overpowered mecha separates its hands and moves away. Losing its prey, the bulky overpowering mecha staggers, trying to regain its balance.

"Now!" with its words, the lean mecha make a quick thrust at the staggering bulky mecha's chest.

*Puuut*

"I'm disabled."

"Huh, Captain?"

"Let's stop now."

"M-my MS is still fine. I can still fight."

"Let's not wastefully use money on unnecessary repairs. This is team A, relinquishing the match to team B."

"Oooohhh!" Everyone in the club cheers at the enemy's team leader defeat declaration.

...

"Hehe, how was it, Chief?"

"Incredible. Even though it's backup team, you managed to win against a pro. Even more so, keeping the damage to minimum."

The MS quality was not much different, so I did hope that we would win. But, I didn't really think we would win.

"Even more incredible, how did that sloppy plan really comes through?"

Yes, what's more surprising is how it went so well as previously planned. Normally you would expect many unexpected setbacks. There were many times the plan could go horribly wrong.

"It's skills."

Is what she says. Well, certainly in the plan there was not much to do for the other two and most of the disabling role was done by the president herself. She is certainly skilled.

"Well, either way, it does not change, the priority is still minimum damage. Please give up the next match if the enemy turn out to be too difficult."

"E-eh? S-sure. Un."

"What's with that suspiciously unreliable answer. Please answer with a yes, President."

"Yes, Chief."

In the end, against all expectations and odds, we did win a 3rd place in the general division, but with the President wrecked her machine.

It's so strange though, because the damage analysis program should had disabled the machine long before it went broke this bad.

She is a genius in one way or another for managing to do it.

...

... ...

... ... ...

May 29th.

"Happy birthday, Reo~"

"Happy birthday~"

"Un. Thank you, everyone."

It's customary for everyone in the class to celebrate birthday party together, even if they will celebrate it again with their family or friends outside the class later.

Is what Ms. Greta said.

So we are having Reo's birthday party in the class right now.

"Here. Mari and my present, Reo. Happy Birthday~"

"Huh, a present from the two of you? What's inside, Vivi?"

"It's secret~ Open it later at home okay~?"

"muuu, it makes me want to open it right now."

"Ahahaha, actually it's not so secret, Reo. If you want to, you can open it right now."

"Eh, really~?"

"Yup."

"Then... *swiish* *open* Huh another box?"

"Ahaha. Open it."

"This is..? A bracelet? It's pretty~"

"It's hand made by the two of us."

"Really? Mari?"

"Yes, Reo."

"Thank you Vivi~ Mari~" *hugs*

"Ahaha~ You are welcome, Reo."

"Do you like it, Reo?"

*nod* "Un. Mari. Thank you~" *hugs*

"Next is Sena's present by the way. Aren't you excited, Reo?"

"Un *nod* Sena~" Reo turns to me.

"Yes yes yes. Here. Happy birthday, Reo."

"Thank you. Um? Can I open it now?"

"Un. Sure. Please open it."

"Huh? What is this? A green ball?" *touch*

"Hello. Hello. Hello." *back away* "Uwaaah~ What is this, Sena?"

*floats* "Hello. Reo. Hello."

"What is this, Sena? Ahaha~ So interesting~" *touch* *touch*

"Interesting. Interesting. Interesting."

"This is Hello. A simple robot toy."

"Eh, I have never seen it before. Where did you find it, Sena? Is it a new product?"

"I made it."

"Ehh, really? So it's Sena's handmade present?"

"Eh? Huh? Ah. I guess it's considered one."

"I see. So it's handmade present from Sena. Isn't it great, Reo?"

"Un." *blush* "Thank you, Sena~" *hugs*

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

"So, umm. Do you like it, Reo?"

*nod* "Un" *hug*

"I see. It seems I didn't waste my time after all."

"I will treasure it, okay~ Thank you, Sena~ ehehe~" *snuggle snuggle*

I feel a bit cramped, but since it's a special occasion, let's just let her be.

...

... ...

... ... ...

"Matilda.. Brouwer... wasn't she..."

I realize one day the identity of club pres. She was a main character of another game [Full Mechanical Athlete]. It was another game also set in a future earth. In the game mecha sports, sports where you pilot mecha robot to participate in various mecha related activities and competitions, are popular.

In the game, both the pilot and the mecha referred as [mechathlete] participate in sports like rapid multi-sniping, move line, yes events very similar or more aptly identical to the ones in 'The Pacific Mechanical Cup'.

Now I remember, there was even a stage for the cup in the game too. Though Leyford City was not mentioned in the game, the cup stage itself was mentioned to be set on an island in the Pacific. Moreover, a background of an island city beyond the sea also visible when playing on that stage.

The developer of the game also happens to be the same one who developed [Solar Angel]. So it might be that both of those games set in the same world and that city in the background must have been Leyford Island City. That means, it's not too surprising for a character from that game to appear here.

In the game, the club pres, Matilda Brouwer, was known as legendary mechathlete. Known for unbeatable records in many events. The protagonist of the game adores her and aim to one day surpass her. Is what the main setting of the game about.

A legendary mechathlete, a legendary athlete of mecha sports. No wonder she could do those crazy piloting stunts and won us 3rd place in the general division. It seems it's not simply a matter of coincidence and luck huh.

If I had known this world to be a world of [Full Mechanical Athlete] first, instead of world of [Solar Angel], I probably would have set my goal to be the best mechathlete instead, or at least the best mechathlete engineer.

But now I have someone I want to protect. I guess I will stay on [Solar Angel] route huh.

Well, I can still be a mechathlete on the side. But my main goal will be to protect people important to me. Since there will be war, and a high chance them getting involved in it, I need to focus so that I can properly protect them.

 

 

 


(1)reference: https://hypertextbook.com/facts/1998/MathieuLo.shtml

(2)Imagine this corning video.

(3)something like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zHkqsSRjEvhvWCwi6
Source: google image

(4)Imagine a surfing or snowboarding on water but with a jet attached to the board instead.

(5)For you who watch gundam, yes, it’s a tribute to haro

(6)reference from here. The imouto edition is interesting btw.


I’m committing myself to 500 words per day. I wonder how it will turn out.

Finishing this chapter, I'm going back to the previous ones to fix tiny things here and there. Shouldn't be much of change though. So you don't have to reread them. Feel free to reread and spot these changes though. Already done with Ep 1 to 5.

Also, someone mentioned to me about how I turn on all 3 content warnings. So far there seem none of them (maybe a bit of strong language, two or three), but I just turn them on, so that I can be open to what content will be later. I'm not turning them off only to turn them on at some point later, because that might be a sort of spoiler cue.

For example, if I suddenly turn on sexual content before posting a new chapter, then someone might get the idea that there is something snu snu in the new chapter. So might as well turning all of them on now.

 

11