Chapter 56- Stereotypical Auction Scene Part 1
453 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 56- Stereotypical Auction Scene Part 1


He made his way through the Unwanted base and then teleported again to the black market. It was bustling, more so than usual. The adventurer games plus the recent monster horde in New London, caused people to be buying and selling more than ever.

With a misted face, he headed over to the Blue Moon Inn. He entered the cosy place and saw his teammates enjoying some drinks. “Hey guys, how are we doing?”

The group nodded.

“I'm a bit nervous about the auction actually,” Tower replied, drink in hand.

Sol sat down and the giant man handed him a strong spirit. “Why?” Sol questioned as he sipped it.

“Well it got moved up into the highest spending of the auction, I just don’t want it to flop."

Sharp put down his cranberry juice. “Tower, you have to look at it logically. A giant immortal heart is up for sale. Do you know how much money that would realistically go for? Kings and queens would practically spill their wallets for a hint of immortality.”

“Yeah, perhaps the King of Auraria won’t have to jack off of Sol anymore,” Spike mused as he puffed at a cigarette.

Sol looked down into his drink. “I hope so too, maybe we could spin it so they think it has something to do with me.”

Sharp chuckled. “Many have already made that association, they have been made aware that we killed it.”

Spike rubbed his hands together greedily. “Gonna be gold in our pockets.”

“Oh, and we got invited to a party at Elora’s if you guys want to come?” Sol asked.

Tower leaned back in his seat, the chair creaking and worrying the barrister. “They’re pompous- and I’m not a fan of pompous.”

“I’m up for a party,” Spike said as he downed the last of his drink.

“I would like to come too. I would like to get to know as many mages of the High Temple as possible,” Sharp remarked.

Sol’s eyes landed on Mute who seemed to want to go. She didn’t say anything or raise her hand but he just knew.

“C’mon Tower, you might meet the love of your life there. Don’t forget, their pockets are deeper than all of ours put together,” Sol half-joked.

“I can already see it,” Spike said as he threw his hands up. “A beautiful wedding on a farm. A summer night; no sign of monsters and no stench of blood, only Tower kissing a pig in front of the altar.”

“That does sound nice, but not a pig- I’m not the type of guy who’s into beastiality,” Tower jokingly replied, not getting hooked on the bait from the bard.

“Perhaps monstiality then? I’ve had a few succubus in my time,” Spike mused. “I’ll tell ya, they sucked the life out of me.”

The group laughed at the joke, Spike wasn’t all that annoying sometimes.

“To the Ill Favoured Five!” Tower said as he raised his glass in the air.

“To the Ill Favoured Five!” the group replied.

The group left shortly after and headed to the auction house. There was quite a night life in the blackmarket, it doubled as an entertainment district without the legal issues in cities. There was full on sex shows, muder shows, illegal magic showcases, high end slave trades, etc. Like the market where everything was sold- the same went for entertainment.

“Nice outfit,” Spike complemented.

Sol cocked his head. “Really?”

“Shadow wolf hide with curved edges is top fashion in New London.”

“I can't tell if you’re joking,” Sol said honestly.

“I’m serious. How many women will be at the party? By the way, I need to get some pills for the old stallion.”

Sol laughed while shaking his head. “She didn’t say, you like posh women?”

“Oh yeah; far more dirty. Bit of a pain in the ass after- they want you to meet their parents. So much upkeep it’s ridiculous. I’d rather look under the queen's dress.”

Tower slapped Spike on the back of the head. “What was that for?!” Spike complained.

Tower shrugged. “Old habit.”

Spike scoffed and realigned his pink mohawk.

They arrived at a grand building a few minutes later; two giant kobolds in suits guarded the entrance. It was a large building, stretching an entire street. White and blue flowers sat on the ledges on blacked out windows and were illuminated by expensive crystals. The group felt a little out of place, but they were used to being put out their comfort zone.

Level 83 Kobold.

 

Level 83 Kobold.

“Name?” a kobold asked.

“Tower, our group is the Ill Favoured Five.”

“The famous ones, with the Immortal?” the kobold question.

Sol nodded.

“You have been upgraded to platinum seating. Will any of you be buying?”

Sol and Sharp nodded.

“There is a minimum of a gold deposit. If you would like to follow this attendant they will be able to offer you women,” the kobold glanced to Mute. “Men also... And drinks.”

“Thank you,” Tower stated.

The kobolds parted to reveal a red carpet with gold chains on either side. They entered and started looking around like tourists as they walked down.

“Shit, this is really fancy,” Spike stated.

“This is the wealthiest auction house in the blackmarket, far greater than anything in New London,” Sharp responded.

“Did the wolf guy say women?” Spike brought back up.

Tower resisted the urge to hit him in such a fancy place. “You’ll have your fair share tonight I’m guessing,” he said, glancing at Sol who just shrugged.

“Rightio,” Spike concluded.

Sharp and Sol paid a deposit of one gold and then they were instructed down a hallway showcasing epic grade items. Spike whistled as they were led into a room filled with other people. The group instantly noticed the people in a lavish room immediately. kings and queens of small countries, diplomats, heads of houses. They felt terribly small compared to them.

The room itself was an oval shaped auditorium; in their box though, it held 5o seats. Servants lined the outside, ready to take an order in a moment's notice. The room acted like a box in a football game, it was above hundreds of seats below. At the front of the box there were 5 seats reserved, an extra large and robust one for Tower.

“Nice to know they cater for everyone,” Tower mused.

“Would you like anything?” a servant asked bowing at a right angle.

“What do you recommend?” Spike asked in a posh accent.

“For drinks, Sir?”

“Women too.”

Tower grunted his disapproval. “Only drinks, thank you.”

“Of course. We received a new whiskey called Strongheim that has been fermenting since before the Great Merge. It came in from Northcross a few days ago.”

“Five of those please, along with some snacks if you have them,” Tower said.

“I will be back in approximately 5 minutes.”

Tower nodded and stretched out in the seat. “I shouldn’t have skipped dinner, I’m starving.”

Spike gasped with abnormal exaggeration. “You didn’t, a strong boy like you should never skip a meal,” he teased as he squeezed Tower’s biceps.

“Spike, when we leave here I’m gonna beat you black and blue.”

“I look forward to… Big man,” he continued as gave a last squeeze on his arm.

They were sitting down and talking when a man in a plain black suit walked up to them. His hair was tidy, like a businessman, and his face was freshly shaven. He wasn’t a handsome man but radiated intelligence. Tower shot up immediately, shortly followed by his team.

“Mr. Raven, good to finally meet you,” Tower said while extending his hand, “Team, this is the owner of the auction house.”

They all shook hands with the man, Sol’s was a little longer than the rest like usual.

“I’m glad you could all make it, I know how busy it has been in New London.” Mr Raven said, his voice was eccentric which didn’t correlate with his outfit.

“It has been a hel of a week,” Tower admitted.

“And this is the Immortal I’ve heard so much about,” Mr Raven said as he turned to Sol.

“More and more I regret joining the Unwanted. It seems I get noticed everywhere now,” Sol said as he sipped the strong whiskey.

“Well of course, it is not everyday you meet an immortal man. There seems to be a very unique aura around you but I cannot tell quite what it is.”

“It adds to the mystery, Mr. Raven,” Sol said with a smile underneath his mask.

“Very much so. Just to let you know, we’ve left your item until last, many people have come just to see it, hence the more appropriate seating for all of you.”

“Thank you,” Tower plainly replied.

“No, thank you. It is by far one of the most unique items I have ever seen in my life. Not only is it the rarest among epics but people may believe it has something to do with your teammate.”

“That’s what we were hoping for,” Tower grinned.

“On the same wavelength I see, we will also be showcasing the video of your fight to give the audience a slight umph when bidding.”

“You guys really know your business,” Spike mused.

Mr. Raven smiled. “Indeed we do. Anyway, I must take my leave. Kings and Queens do not like to wait around.”

They said their goodbyes and sat down again.

“I can’t believe we’re sitting with high society,” Sol whispered as he discreetly looked around at the people in the platinum box with them. Kings and heads of houses were chatting like they were at a bar.

His eyes stopped as he landed on Mr. Evergrand- Elora’s father. The head of her house.

“The highest, except for the gods of course,” Sharp added.

“Yeah,” Sol said as he kept an eye on the leader of the Evergrand family.

“Mr. Evergrand is here,” Sol whispered to Tower.

“I’m not surprised, probably got some pocket change left over,” Tower replied.

The lights dimmed on the stage and it grabbed their attention. A person of the white fur elf race stepped out. He looked as the name describes. An elf with fur covering most of their skin. It stopped at their cheek line and covered their ears. They were a beautiful race, one of the most desirable like the kobolds- except for entertainment.

“Ladies, Gentlemen and all those in between. My name is Lanza Kroger, and I will be presenting the auction on this lovely evening at the Grand V’lure. We have many interesting items today so please don’t spend all your coin at once.”

The crows chuckled pompously, except for the Ill-Favoured Five.

“There are many famous faces here tonight but the black market is called the black market for a reason,” Lanza said as he glanced up to the platinum and gold boxes, “Regardless, I welcome all those tonight,” he said with a polite bow.

“There will be three intervals tonight, after each, the items will start to increase in power and rarity. During these intervals there will be entertainment available to you from all stretches of imagination. So, without further ado, let the auction night… Begin!”

The crowd all applauded, it had started.

“What are you looking for, Immortal?” Sharp asked.

Sol shrugged. “Protection items maybe, just more of an impulse thing. You?”

“Likewise actually, for research purposes for my investments actually”

“You invest?” Sol questioned. It was Sharp he was speaking to.

“Yes, as of now I’m just trying to keep it from going under. Missions have been good lately but I need at least double my current income to fund it.”

Sol thought for a moment. “I can help,” he said.

“Thank you for the offer but I cannot accept.”

Sol pouted. “I can give you what you need and in return give me a portion of what you make?”

“You mean percentages and shares of the company I’m funding?”

“Yeah whatever, I don’t really know. I just know that whatever you’re doing it will make money,” Sol remarked truthfully.

“Shall we talk about it during the interval?” Sharp said as the first item was wheeled out onto stage.

“This ring of fine craftsmanship comes all the way from Auraria! Forged by a master in the jewellery skill and with earth magic from a grandmaster.”

Most of the items looked terrible or tacky, but people still bid on them. Sol knew what was good or bad, he had sold thousands of items before. It was strange how the system classed items. It was a mixture of rarity and power.

In some cases, Rare items were better than Epic items. An Epic item could be worthless but since it was so unique that it was classified higher than a rare. The same went for all rarity types.

Sol began to get bored but then the interval came.

“Bar?” Tower asked, bored too.

The group nodded and grunted in agreement.


 

18