Chapter 73- A Pricey Fall
411 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 73- A Pricey Fall


“So what level are you guys?” Phillip asked the two sisters.

“We’re only 12 and 13, it’s our first time.”

“And what level is your friend?” Phillip questioned.

“Oh, that’s our brother. He’s a high level adventurer,” Summer boasted.

“Summer,” June scolded.

“What? Don’t worry,” Summer replied with a smile and wave of her hand.

June didn’t like them, her intuition was sending her signals. She also didn’t like dishing out sensitive information.

“What level are you guys?” Summer asked.

“I’m 19, Grey is the same as me and Charlie is 18,” Phillip replied.

His phone started ringing in his pocket. “Sorry, I need to take this. Would you guys mind waiting?”

Summer nodded with a smile again and Phillip walked to a safe distance.

“Who’s the other one?” a voice asked on the other end of the phone.

“He's a high level,” Phillip responded. “These two will be worth some. We should go for them.”

“How do you expect us to take out a high level? How high is he?”

“Shit, I don’t know- 30 or 40,” Phillip responded.
“Fuck Johhny, we can’t kill a 40.”

“Don’t kill him then, he's behind that fucking drop- push him in there, he won’t be able to get out if he doesn’t die.” the man known as Phillip said.

“Do they belong to a house?” the voice on the other side asked.

“Nah, the guy is their brother so he probably bought them the equipment. We’re really sitting on a gold mine here,” Phillip pressured.

“Fuck, if we end up in shits creek its your fault. Boss don’t like loose ends.”

“Relax, we've done this hundreds of times. They’re real lookers too and good at magic, sell’em at 10 gold a pop.”

The phone call ended and Phillip turned around to head back to the party. “How did you guys want to split the loot?” he asked with a charming smile.

“We already have some loot from today, you guys can take it all,” Summer said.

“You sure?” Grey asked.

Summer nodded. “You guys will have to take the lead too, me and June are still learning.”

“Sure thing,” Grey responded.

Sol was sitting atop a rock, he was careful to not fall but he could always teleport away. He held a dagger in his hand and was preparing to throw it at a moment's notice. Summer and June could probably take a level 9 spikeback by themselves at this point, they were naturals, just like their parents.

While he was watching them, four men were approaching large rocks behind him. They all had stealth skills which quietened their footsteps and cloaked their presence. One of them moved closer and accidentally kicked a rock.

Sol was watching them approach the spikeback when he heard movement behind him. A mana infused spear pierced through his heart, and a basic arrow only went an inch in his skull. He coughed up blood and fell backwards.

“Grab his pouch! Grab his pouch!”

Sol had died, and was sliding down the rock formation into the chasm below.

“Fuck!” one shouted as he dove for it.

They didn’t manage to grab it and Sol’s lifeless body fell down below.

“He was a high level?” one asked- “My spear had no problems.”

“Johnny must of been fucking with us.”

Sol kept dying and regenerating as he fell into the giant chasm. He tried to pull it out but died before he could each time. The bright sky no longer lit up the walls around him as he sped down into the chasm below. He landed on a stalagmite which pierced him through his spine.

Back on the wetlands, the team had just killed their first spikeback together.

“Great job guys!” Phillip yelled.

“You three work really well together,” Summer complimented.

“Please, it was all you two,” Phillip responded charismatically.

June turned away and looked to where Sol was but she couldn’t see him.

“Where’s Sol?” June asked.

“Huh,” Summer said as she looked as well. “I’m sure he’s fine, he’s probably just watching us from somewhere else like a weirdo.”

“I’ll just call him quick-”

“June,” Summer said, “Just relax, we’ve been wanting to do this for ages now.”

The rune writer was still anxious but decided that her sister was right. They fought another together spikeback together until June started to really worry. She tried to call Sol but it went to voicemail.

“He’s not answering,” June said in a panic.

Summer tried. “He always picks up,” she said. “I’ll go speak to the guards.”

Phillip looked concerned. “This way’s the fastest. Follow me.”

“No,” June said. “The fastest way is down that path, that one leads past the Wetlands.”

“I’m pretty sure we can trust them,” Summer said. “They’ve been here loads of times.”

June didn’t respond, she didn’t want to. She was anxious about where Sol had gone. And now she was even more worried about Phillip taking them the wrong way. They followed Phillip down a route that turned from swamp into jagged rock with flora either side, the shrubbery getting more dense.

June started to get sweaty palms as she held onto the staff Sol had bought her.

“I’m going to go the other way,” June said and turned around straight away.

She was stopped by phillip.

“What are you doing?” she asked innocently.

Phillip cocked his head. “Still haven’t caught on… Have you?”

5 more men came out from the shrubbery with weapons drawn.

“Easy now fellas,” Phillip said. “Lets not hurt the merchandise.”

Summer looked around in a panic. “Y-Y-you lied to us!”

Phillip rolled his eyes. “Restrain them, use the nice rope.”

Summer and June tried to defend themselves but it was useless, they had never fought another person. June tried to cast magic but her hand was shaking and she was taken down lightly by a man.

“Do you even know who our brother is?” June questioned.

Philip just laughed.

“He’s an Unwanted! He’ll kill all of you,” Summer shouted.

Phillip looked surprised but then smiled and laughed again. “Well fellas, you killed an Unwanted- now that’s impressive.”

They both looked mortified.

“Awww,” Phillip mused. “You two looked so hopeful.”

 They started to break down crying as they were put inside large potato sacks and carried away.

Two days ago.

 

June was furiously rummaging through Sol’s room. There was nothing, no documents, no receipts from the Adventurer Guild- nothing. This was when he went to the auction so she knew she had a long time.

She leaned against his bed frame as Summer came in.

“Did you find anything?” June asked.

Summer slumped down next to her. “Nope, there’s literally nothing in the basement.”

“Where would he keep things?” Summer pondered after a few minutes of silence.

June shrugged. “The only other place I can think of is his pouch but it never leaves his side.”

“How about when he’s asleep?” Summer questioned.

“He’s a light sleeper, I doubt we could do it. Plus, the floorboards creak next to his room,” June replied.

They both started to tidy up his things when June got a call from Sol.

“Hey, I’ll be coming in late so lock the doors,” Sol said.

“Where are you going?” Summer questioned.

June slapped her forehead and angrily looked at her sister.

“Are you with Summer, you guys are hanging out?”

“Yeah, we were just going over some things you taught us,” June lied.

“Alright, and I’m going to a party. I’m not sure when I’ll be back tonight.”

“Ok,” Summer said happily, “Have a good time.”

Sol was confused as to why his sister was treating him so nicely. “I will… Thanks.”

“Bye Sol,” June said and ended the call.

“When he’s drunk,” The two sisters said in unison.

In the early morning, when Sol stumbled through the door- his sisters had been up all night waiting for him. He fell onto his bed exhausted; passed out a moment later and the two sisters snuck into the room.

They gently pulled his pouch off his belt and took it downstairs into the basement. There was a new dagger on the bedside but they didn’t think much of it and rightly so since Lucia was fast asleep like her owner.

“How much stuff has he got in here?” Summer said as she pulled out piles and piles of second hand clothing. “It’s not even clean, it’s like he just bought them off the street.”

“This is pointless, it’s all just junk,” June said in defeat.

Gold coins fell out of the pouch and Summer’s eyes lit up.

“Don’t take any, he’ll know if any is gone- you know how tight with money he used to be,” June stated.

Summer sighed. “Fine.”

A white cloth fell on the ground and caught Summer’s attention. It looked so pristine that she thought it belonged to a lady.

Unwanted Mask- EPIC

This piece of cloth when thrown over your face will hide your facial features.

Indestructible

Soul Bound

Durability: N/A

Magical Affinity: Dark

She gasped and turned the notification around for June to see.

“He’s-he’s an Unwanted?” June questioned, eyes wide and mouth open.

“But how? I know he always looked after us but this doesn’t seem right. He’s not a murderer is he?” Summer stated in shock.

June gulped as she looked at Summer. The two sisters had just stumbled upon something they wished they hadn’t of.


 

15