Chapter 1 – Reincarnation
3.5k 7 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the Kingdom of Orilon, Grand Duke Avington was the most powerful aristocrat besides the members of the royal family. He had a lovely wife and two charming children. 

The elder was a son named Damian Avington, who was also the successor. He was the pride of the family, a genius in magical studies with an incredible amount of mana even as a young boy. 

The younger was a girl named Valentina Avington. She would grow to be the jewel of the kingdom, beautiful beyond description and admired by all. 

I was Valentina Avington. 

Life was simply splendid. Father, Mother, Brother, and the servants all adored me. At the tender age of nine, I was already aware of how pretty I was. In my wardrobe was likely the largest collection of dresses and jewels in the kingdom, and the chef made delicacies others could only imagine. 

Presently, I laid on my stomach on my large bed with many pillows, reading a book while eating cookies. The book did not tell a story, so I was almost bored to death. Alas, this was necessary. 

Despite everything I had, I’d always been haunted by flashes and memories, along with strange knowledge I didn’t know the source of. The book finally confirmed my suspicions. 

‘Reincarnation, also known as rebirth or transmigration, is the concept of a soul taking on a new life after death of the biological body. Many have claimed to have memories of a past life.’

I was one of those that could remember their past lives, and I shuddered at the misery. What a pathetic mess it was. And to think I was eighteen! Though I liked to consider myself as mature, I definitely only felt nine. 

But there was something else bothering me… 

“My lady, I’m so sorry!”

My thoughts were interrupted by a crash followed by a maid’s frantic apologies. I sat up with annoyance. 

The maid was a cute girl a little older than me with mousy brown hair and light brown eyes. A broken teacup and a tray were on the floor, with a large stain on the expensive carpet. 

“You useless idiot!”

I leaped from my bed and stomped towards the maid. She was kneeling on the floor with tears welling in her eyes. 

“Did you know how expensive this was? Your life isn’t worth that much!”

She broke into sobs. 

“Please, my lady, I’m sorry! It was an accident, my hand just slipped, I’m sorry!”

I sighed, ignoring my slight guilt. How could the grand duchy hire someone this incompetent?

‘How should I punish her?’

Someone barged into my room before I could decide. 

“Who dares to upset my little sister?”

It was Damian, my brother, who was older than me by two years. He was a pretty child, fair with pale blonde hair. His eyes gleamed purple, the sign of a powerful mage. In a few years, he would capture and toy with the hearts of many ladies. 

He strode across the room and grabbed a handful of the maid’s hair. The girl trembled. 

“Shall we cut off these incapable fingers? Or should I try a new spell that drowns you slowly?”

“My lord, please, no, I’m so sorry! I have three little brothers that depend on me, please don’t kill me, please, my lord!”

The information reminded me of something. I studied the girl. 

“What’s your name?”

The girl looked up at me, her cheeks streaked with tears. 

“Tia, my lady.”

A smile slowly creeped onto my face. I turned to Damian. 

“Brother, I suppose it’s all right to let her off this time.”

He frowned, and sighed. 

“You’re too kind, Sister. Fine, it’ll just be thirty lashes and a month’s pay.”

“Ten lashes ought to do. I’ve taken a liking to her.”

He looked at me quizzically, but nodded. Letting go of the maid’s hair, he patted my head. 

“You’re smart. It’s useful to have a few loyal dogs, after all.”

With that, he went away. 

I looked at the quivering maid on the floor. Smiling, I reached out a hand and helped her up. Tia's eyes were wide as she took my hand. 

“T-thank you, my lady. I’ll forever be indebted to your kindness!”

“As long as you’re loyal to me, I’ll take care of you. Understood?” 

The maid wiped away her tears and nodded emphatically. 

“Yes, my lady.” 

“Then you can go. And call someone to clean up the mess.”

I dismissed her with a wave. She curtsied, and left. When the door closed, I sank onto my bed, and laughed. 

There was no doubt about it. This world was from a web novel I read in my last life. Tia was the maid of the protagonist when the story begins, and would become her first friend and confidant. The energetic and loyal maid would support her all the way until she died protecting her from the villainess, who she formerly worked for. 

And I, Valentina Claire Avington, was the villainess in question. 

90