Chapter 5 – Grand Duchess
2.1k 6 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grand Duchess Avington was a beautiful woman with pale blonde hair and light gray eyes. She was ever so sweet and delicate to have melted the grand duke’s heart, and was known for her pure kindness. In the novel, she didn’t appear much, except as a devoted mother that spoiled her children blindly out of love. 

Yet there were some things that even the novel didn’t know. 

“Her Grace, the Grand Duchess of Avington, has arrived!”

The affair was no less impressive than the grand duke’s reception, Father made sure of that. Mother descended her carriage gracefully, assisted by the knights and followed by her ladies-in-waiting. She looked like an angel, coming up the path with her tender smile. 

“Welcome home, Your Grace.”

As Damian and I greeted her, Father kissed her hand. He looked ten years younger, his eyes shining with joy as she pulled him into an embrace. Father whispered something in Mother’s ear, and Mother kissed him on the cheek, smiling. 

When they let go, Mother came to us. She stroked my hair gently and kissed me on the forehead, then Damian. There was the familiar and soothing scent of her light vanilla perfume. 

“My darlings, I’ve missed you so much.”

I couldn’t speak, so I hugged her tightly. Her mere presence was reassuring, because she made our castle whole again. My heart fluttered in joy. 

Lunch was very pleasant, especially with Mother. When we were finished, she presented Damian with a new pocket watch and I with a string of pearls. 

“Oh, Mother! Thank you!”

Our exclamations of thanks were returned with her sweetest smiles. How I adored her!

I tried on my new pearls with different dresses in the afternoon. Mother had retired to her room to rest after the journey, and I knew she would soon have to get back to managing the castle’s affairs, so I didn’t want to bother her. 

The next morning, I went to Mother. She was already bent over some papers, working hard. 

“Good morning, Mother!”

“Good morning, Valentina, my dear.”

I went straight to the point. 

“I would like some more tutors, to give me the education of a crown princess.”

Mother’s eyes widened slightly at my request. A knowing smile creeped onto her face. 

“Of course. I’ll plan the lessons and choose only the best.”

“Thank you, Mother.”

“But you’ll need more than that if you want to marry the crown prince, you know.”

I nodded, more aware than she could possibly understand. I had once read a novel where the protagonist was more than capable, but had to watch her fiance fall in love with her little sister over and over again in a time loop. It was so depressing that I couldn’t finish. 

“I’m willing to do everything in my power.”

I had one advantage: I was not in love with the crown prince. Without the diamond mine under Baron Bryant’s control, the prince could not dream of severing the alliance with the grand duchy. Mother seemed to have thought of this as well, and mused. 

“It’s very convenient that you’re His Grace’s daughter, yes. A new monarch always needs powerful allies, but there’s no saying if he’ll divorce you once things stabilise. Then, again-”

She cut off and tilted her head slightly with a smile. We were likely thinking of the same thing, that we could just start a rebellion. I nodded, and was suddenly struck by a stroke of brilliance. 

“I would like to include shooting with a pistol in the lessons.”

“I agree. It’s best for unexpected situations to know how to protect yourself. By the way, I heard about the knights. It was very smart, and remember to treat them well.”

Before she married Father, Mother was the daughter of rich merchants. I didn’t know the details, but she had seen more of life than a typical noble lady, and it was good to prepare for the worst. 

Mother called out as I left her room. 

“Oh, and perhaps it would be good to include poisons as well.”

We exchanged a smirk, though hers looked rather odd on her pure features. 

As I walked back, my thoughts couldn’t help but wander, again. My old mom enraged me at times, and occasionally reduced me to tears. I hated her keeping track of my every move, like a suffocating cage I could never escape. If I, a mere child that knew nothing, dared to disobey her, I would only bring dishonour and end up useless. After all, she only wanted me to have a happy future, and it was her duty to guarantee it. 

Then she was cooking my favourite food, picking me up after school, taking me out shopping, to movie theatres, and to fancy restaurants. She was always generous with money when buying things for me, though she never gave me any money of my own. Her telling me how proud she was after good marks on a test were the bright bits in my life. 

How did my parents react when they learned that all the money and effort gone into raising me for eighteen years had gone down the drain? I had never seen them cry, yet they only laughed whenever I did. I was the only grandchild my grandparents had, and they had weak hearts that might not take the shock. Never would I see any of them again. 

Tears welled up but I blinked them away. None of it mattered. 

I had a good family now. I would love them with all my heart. 

Mother was so very shrewd, hidden well beneath the innocent exterior. A true white lotus. But if there was one thing I knew was real about her, it was her love for us.

61