Chapter 7 – My Brother, a Yandere
2.2k 5 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The novel had three male leads. 

The true and final male lead was Crown Prince Oscar Stoneshire, a cold tsundere that only the warm-hearted saint could melt with her love. 

The second was High Priest Nathaniel Seaton, forever stuck in the friendzone. No matter how kind, gentle, and caring he was, the female lead could only see him as a friend and a brother. 

The third was Mage Damian Avington, the playboy and obsessive yandere. The female lead was the only one that truly intrigued him, and he would do anything to have her, even going as far to kidnap her, before finally dying in an attempt to commit double suicide. 

I planned to arrange an engagement with the prince, following the novel, since it would be the fastest way to being queen. The priest I could send my knights to find after they were done with the female lead, and turn him to my side. However, I could not cure my brother’s insanity. 

It wasn’t uncommon in history, actually. Many of the greatest mages were insane, due to the effect the excess of mana had on their minds. All I could do was find something else for my brother to be obsessed with. 

I supposed it would be best if it were me. 

In the novel, Damian was never close with Valentina and they drifted even further apart when he left home to attend the academy. He thought she was childish and immature, and later hated her for attempting to hurt the female lead. 

When you looked at it like that, there was really no better way to ensure his loyalty. 

Damian was ten right now, and would turn eleven in November. It was August, and Father had agreed for him to start attending the academy this September, after his many requests.

My relationship with him was decent as of right now, but I could feel that he would soon start to lose interest, after nine years of bickering. 

So, I took the present chance to visit him in his laboratory, which was up a winding tower on top of spiralling stairs. It was a pain to walk, but I managed to make it. 

I knocked on the door, and having received no response, went in. 

Damian was bent over his table examining some old scrolls. When he heard me, he looked up, and instantly a smile lit up his face. 

This might be easier than I expected. 

“Val! What’re you doing here?”

“The cook made some tarts, so I thought I would bring you some.”

I offered him the basket I had taken up with me. His eyes sparkled as we sat down together on the small couch and ate. The novel had mentioned it was his favorite treat. 

We chatted a bit, and he began telling me about his work in magic. I was used to long monologues from my old dad, but this was much more pleasant because Damian didn’t treat me like a newborn baby that didn’t know even the most basic thing. I even understood some of what he was talking about. 

A warmth crept over me and I wondered why the original Valentina was so estranged from Damian. If she knew how valuable he was going to be, she probably would’ve been much closer with him. That was likely it, she didn’t try to get along with anyone that she didn’t think was useful or didn’t worship her blindly. 

As we finished the tarts, the conversation turned. 

“You’re really going away in September, Brother?”

“Yes, my sweet Val. I’m going to learn and become the greatest mage in our kingdom.”

“You definitely will be. But you’ll write, won’t you?”

“Everyday, if you wish, but only if you write back.”

“Of course I shall.”

I grinned, having got what I came for. To make things even more secure, I resolved to visit him in his lab at least once a week all the way until he left. After all, I had enjoyed this. 

Suddenly, an idea occurred to me. 

“Brother, is there anyone you like?”

He looked surprised, like most eleven-year-olds would. 

“No, not yet. Do you?”

“Mhm, maybe.”

Truth to be told, I didn’t feel the slightest thing for the crown prince, since I had never even met him. However, it wouldn’t be too bad to start preparing to like the one I was planning to marry. 

A strange look, almost of pure outrage, shot across his face for the briefest moment before his expression smoothed over. Aha, I had triggered his yandere side. 

“Who is it?”

“I’m not telling you.”

He frowned, then sighed. The insanity must have not spread far yet. 

“That’s fine, I guess. But you can’t marry anyone I don’t like, all right?”

“Only if you don’t like anyone I don’t like. Deal?”

“Deal.”

I was very pleased with myself as I left, but something else soon weighed on my heart. Even if Damian didn’t fall in love with the female lead or try to commit double suicide, his excess of mana and eventual insanity would kill him regardless. And since he was my brother and I cared about him, I would need to find a way to save him. 

Well, if I could change my fate from a villainess to the crown prince’s fiancée and future queen, I could surely find a cure. After all, I had almost ten years before the novel would start. And when it did, I would be sure of victory.

58