Chapter 59 – Debutante Ball (II)
431 7 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How…bold! Not bad, not bad at all, Lady Catherine. Regardless of her intentions or who was controlling her, the female lead was a worthy opponent indeed. This was even worse than the novel, where she merely witnessed my fiance’s heroism in saving her from my bullying. No, we should’ve never come. 

I quickly pushed aside my outrage to think, because I had to act fast. After Oscar accepted her invitation, anything I tried would be suspicious. Whatever I did had to be unquestionable, foolproof, and immediate, and I had an act in mind. It was just a shame to use it so early, since it was the best backup plan for all occasions, but couldn’t be used too often. 

I swooned and fell, while maintaining my usual elegance. The chivalrous prince caught me and I hung dearly onto his arm. 

“My apologies! I simply feel a bit faint.”

Catherine’s eyes widened as her natural kindness kicked in. I managed not to smirk. 

“Oh no! Are you all right, Lady Valentina?”

“I think so, thank you. I just haven’t gotten much rest lately, with all my work as the saint and helping out Father, as his successor.”

Pitifully, I touched the back of my hand to my forehead, the perfect picture of a distressed and overworked damsel. 

“You should go take a break! I’m already really happy you came.”

“No, I wouldn’t want to- Ah!”

I let my knees give out under me and I practically collapsed forward, pushing myself closer to my fiance and trusting him to do the right thing and properly support me. Sure enough, he swooped me up in a princess carry. I gasped and smiled. 

This classic trope never failed to delight me, but this had another purpose as well. Around us, heads turned and quiet gossiping arose, given that we, the young and beautiful royal couple, were always a subject of interest. This showcased to high society that our relationship was lovely, and also hopefully prevented Oscar from doing anything too disgraceful while forcing him to do the polite thing and take me home. I used to be confident that he could keep up appearances well, but I wasn’t certain of anything anymore involving him and Catherine. 

“Shall we go?”

I nodded. His voice was cold, his gaze indifferent as ever, except I thought I saw a hint of amusement that swiftly vanished. I didn’t know how much he actually cared about me, but if he was annoyed I was getting in the way of him and his destined love, he didn’t show that either. 

Hiding my triumph, I turned my head to Catherine, who was blushing on my behalf and looked at us like we were adorable. Disappointingly, there was no trace of jealousy in her expression. 

“I’m so terribly sorry, Lady Catherine. I shouldn’t have come so tired.”

“No, it’s fine! Please rest well! In fact, I’m going to go get some tea to personally bring to your mansion. It’s wonderful for sleep and refreshment!”

My glee turned to horror and I cursed silently. 

“Please, you’re too kind, but I couldn’t possibly ask you to do such a thing during your debutante ball. You can have servants send over the tea, but you must stay here and have fun.”

Hints of panic returned to her eyes. Ah, it must’ve been the baron again, determined for her to hunt the prince down. 

“I can’t have fun when my only friend isn’t well! Please let me do this for you, Lady Valentina!”

The downside of attention was that now I couldn’t refuse outright without seeming rude, for the whole room was focused on our conversation. I could later instruct my followers to shift the gossip to make it look like Catherine was a devoted minion, but that was the only upside to this horrid situation. I would try my best, though I doubted it would work. It’d be best to end this fast. 

“I insist otherwise, because I care about you, my dear friend. But if you are determined, then all I can say is that I’m deeply touched.”

No matter what, I couldn’t physically stop her from coming over, so I didn’t bother wasting words. I sighed and nuzzled my head into my fiance’s firm chest for a moment’s solace. At the very least, I had ruined Catherine’s debutante night and moved the battlefield to my place. 

On the carriage ride back to my mansion, I rested my head on Oscar’s shoulder. Like my countless previous attempts to make him blush, it failed. He did speak, however emotionless. 

“You didn’t have to do that.”

I looked up at him innocently. 

“I didn’t do anything, though? I can’t help it if I’m exhausted.”

Oscar gave no further comment. When we arrived, I made sure he lifted me and carried me all the way up to my room, seen by many of our servants who would fuel and spread gossip like a wildfire. I was glad my parents were staying over at a friend’s mansion and not home. 

My handsome knight, Mikhail, who was loyally guarding my door, helped me stand as Oscar set me down. Mikhail’s expression was neutral and void of jealousy, curiously unlike any male lead may be in such a situation, though of course it was of no concern to me. Zoe and Tia, who were also waiting for me, having received word from a messenger I’d sent, greeted us readily.

“Zoe, stay and help me change. Tia, go show His Highness to a drawing room.”

“That won’t be necessary. I’ll get going now.”

No, he wouldn’t. I still had to deal with the possibility of Catherine coming over and them running into each other, so I needed to keep him here until she was gone. 

“Won’t you please stay? Talking with you will make me feel better.”

He met my eyes, and nodded. I breathed a sigh of relief as the door closed behind me and Zoe, and immediately I began giving instructions as she helped me change into a nightgown and wash for bed. 

“Lady Catherine Bryant will come soon. Don’t let her see me or the prince at any cost, and get rid of her as soon as possible, but very politely. I want you to handle it, and Tia can stay with me. Tell me when she’s gone.”

Despite being Catherine’s maid in the novel, I definitely trusted Tia and her current devotion to me after nearly a decade of my kindness. However, this was just a precaution, and Zoe was better at this kind of thing anyways. 

When I was in bed, I had Tia bring back Oscar, and Zoe slipped out. Oscar stood a bit away from me, but close enough to have a conversation, which I tried to do. 

“I’m sorry if you wanted to attend the ball.”

“It’s fine.”

“So, what do you think of Lady Catherine?”

“She’s agreeable.”

“How so?”

“I don’t know.”

One day, this man would drive me insane. I bit my lip to keep from screaming out my frustration. 

“Then why’d you want to go to her ball?”

“No reason.”

We fell silent. I, who was supposedly tired enough to faint, oughtn’t say too much, and in any case I didn’t have anything to say to him. 

“Can you just stay for a while? For company.”

“All right.”

I wondered what he was thinking, my apathetic fiance, who I often suspected was dead inside. 

The clock ticked away.

- - -

Catherine took a deep breath as her carriage approached the Avington mansion, her thoughts racing. 

Was Lady Valentina well? She had seemed so delicate and weary. It was amazing how much work she must be doing, and Catherine was filled with endless admiration for the saint. As such, her worry for her poor friend weighed heavily on her heart, and she sincerely hoped she would get better soon. 

And what of Prince Oscar? Father had been clear on what she had to do. Yet Lady Valentina was so sweet with him, wouldn’t she be hurt if Catherine married him? She wouldn’t think about that. Father would take care of it, she was sure. 

A maid with black hair and stoic black eyes received her in the foyer of the mansion. 

“Hello! I’m Lady Catherine Bryant, Lady Valentina’s friend. I’ve brought her some tea for her health.”

Catherine gave the can of tea leaves to the maid, who took it with a nod. 

“Her Ladyship offers her gratitude. However, she regrets that she can’t see you today as she’s very tired and already in bed.”

“Oh. Is His Highness with her?”

The maid paused before answering, like she was thinking carefully. 

“Yes. They’re betrothed, after all.”

“Then can I wait until he leaves? I want to hear how Lady Valentina is doing.”

“I can tell you that Her Ladyship is doing well. A good night’s sleep is all she needs, and she would rest better knowing her friend is safely home.”

“Um, can I have a glass of water before I leave?”

“Of course.”

The maid beckoned for another maid, who quickly brought a glass of water. Catherine drank it slowly, and when she was done, felt incredibly awkward.

“I’m sorry, but can I have something to eat?”

“My apologies, but we don’t have anything right now.”

“Are you sure? I’m really hungry.”

“No, my apologies.”

“Um… thank you, then. Good night.”

Slowly panicking, Catherine walked out to her carriage. What was she going to do? She had to meet the prince!

“Sorry, m’lady. The carriage broke down!”

“Oh! It’s fine, don’t worry!”

So this was what Father meant by the servants adapting. Catherine felt a surge of gratitude as she headed back and met the maid again. 

“I’m sorry, but my carriage broke down. I was thinking I could wait and go back with His Highness, since I’m moving into a room at the castle.”

“That won’t be necessary. I’ll arrange for a carriage to take you back.”

“Um…!” 

Catherine couldn’t think of any further protest, so in horror, she was escorted to a carriage. The maid got in with her. 

“I’ll come with you. Her Ladyship wants to ensure that you get home safely.”

Catherine squirmed anxiously the whole way. At the castle, her maid, Mary, was waiting for her. When she saw them, her eyes widened for a moment before she greeted them. Catherine didn’t know why, but she was too distressed to wonder.

“You must be tired, my lady. Come, let’s get you to bed. Thank you for bringing her back, miss.”

The Avington maid watched as Catherine went into her room and shut the door behind her. She sank down onto her bed and covered her face with her hands, terrified. 

Had she failed?

- - -

Should I seduce my fiance?

That was the question the neverending ticking of that stupid clock placed into my mind. I had thought of it before, but now, in my nightgown and bored to death, it seemed like a real possibility, and a good idea too. He would have to take responsibility, and if I were lucky enough to get pregnant, even better. 

Alas, the biggest problem was whether he would be willing, given that the silence was rather awkward, the longest we’d likely spent without talking. The mood wasn’t there, and I didn’t have any aphrodisiacs on hand. Besides, Tia was still in the room. Perhaps another occasion, then. 

The wait was driving me crazy. Finally, after what felt like hours, Zoe came back. She leaned down and whispered in my ear. 

“Lady Catherine is gone. I personally saw her enter her room in the castle.”

I let out a deep breath, satisfied but slightly concerned. Why was she in the castle? Well, I couldn’t do anything. It was common for nobility to live in the castle to be close to action, especially the royal courts. If she was safely in her room, she couldn’t run into the prince, right?

“I think I should go to sleep now. Good night, my love.”

I waved cheerily to Oscar, with one last attempt to be affectionate. It could’ve been my imagination, but I thought he smiled a little as he came to my bedside and kissed my forehead. As he went out the door, he looked back with another half smile and what resembled amusement in his eyes. 

“You know, Valentina, you never have to be jealous.”

I stared blankly at the door he closed behind him. Then, I laughed. 

Was that a confession? Did he know what I was doing? Did he understand? It didn’t matter, but I decided to consider it progress. I smiled. 

Another victory!

18