Chapter 60 – Debutante Ball (III)
445 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

Catherine paced around her room, slowly losing her mind. Hadn’t Father said he would send servants to help her if anything went wrong? Would he understand that there was nothing she could do?

“My lady, let me help you get ready for bed! You should rest!”

“No, thank you, Mary. Maybe Father has a message. Can you go look for him?”

“But I don’t know where his room is here in the castle, and he’s probably already asleep.”

“Oh. Um, what do I do…”

Catherine was about to ask Mary to try anyways when a knock came at the door. She turned sharply and rushed to open it, and found Uncle, who smiled and hugged her. 

“Your father heard what happened. Don’t you worry, we’re going to make it work.”

Relief surged through Catherine. Uncle was here. As long as she was good, everything was going to be fine. 

“Yes, Uncle! What do I have to do?”

“I see you’re still in your ball dress. Good. Now, come along. We’re going for a walk.”

Catherine nodded, eager to please. However, Mary gave a protest. 

“Wait a minute! Her Ladyship is tired, she doesn’t want to walk!”

“It’s all right, Mary.”

Catherine beamed at her considerate maid. Mary opened her mouth again, but Uncle cut her off with a growl before she could say anything. 

“Know your place, you silly little girl.”

Uncle began walking away, and Catherine hurried to follow him, after grabbing a shawl and shooting an apologetic glance at Mary, who had a rather scared expression. They went down to the front of the castle, to a small garden with a full view of the road leading up to one of the entrances. 

“Here’s the new plan.”

Uncle spoke quickly, but Catherine memorized every word, driven by her desperation not to disappoint him. She nodded as he finished. 

“If anything changes, we’ll help. Be good, eh? And don’t let servants talk to you like that, you hear me?”

“Yes, Uncle.”

Uncle patted her shoulder and strode away, whistling. Ever since they left the town, he was often much happier, and that made her glad. Perhaps she could make him proud, if she did this right. 

Catherine walked around the garden, her heart beating fast in anticipation as she waited. After a while, like Uncle had told her it would, a carriage with the royal emblem approached. She casually went towards it, meeting the occupant as he descended like a happy accident.

“Your Highness! What a coincidence!”

Her heart skipped a beat, but with slightly less guilt than she usually did with lies. It was for Uncle, so it was sort of all right. 

“Ah, yes, Lady Catherine.”

Prince Oscar still had the intimidating aura that made her want to flee, but the weight of Uncle’s expectations pushed her to continue. 

“I was so frightened about Lady Valentina that I couldn’t sleep, so I came out to get some fresh air.”

The prince nodded politely, but turned, as if to go. Catherine swallowed. 

“Actually, I was wondering, would you like to take a walk with me?”

He looked at her, and for a moment he seemed disconcerted, but he nodded, like Uncle had assured he would, though it nevertheless surprised her, since he looked as if he would like nothing better than to be alone. Her heart pounded as she smiled. 

Prince Oscar offered her his arm and she took it nervously. Being so close to him was terrifying, because in him lay Uncle’s hopes for her, and because he was scary. They walked along the garden, Catherine subtly steering them towards a certain direction. 

“So how is Lady Valentina?”

“She’s fine.”

“That’s great! I was really worried. She’s so kind and wonderful, and I want her to always be happy!”

Catherine felt a rush of relief. Her sweet friend who she admired and adored very much was well. Additionally, it lifted some of the guilt she felt, from the voice nagging in the back of her head, wondering what Lady Valentina thought about her and Prince Oscar together. Ah, she wouldn’t think about that! 

They reached an opening near a castle balcony. Pretty music drifted from it, mesmerizing and enchanting. Catherine choked down her anxiety, because it was time for the main act. 

“Oh, it’s so beautiful, like a fairytale!”

“It’s a small concert my mother’s holding, I believe.”

“I like it very much.”

Catherine paused, too shameless to continue. They stood there for a little while, listening. Finally, she spoke.

“Would you…”

Prince Oscar was exceptionally pale under the moonlight, though Catherine couldn’t tell what he was thinking at all. She took a deep breath and forced out the words. 

“Would you like to dance?”

“...Yes.”

His eyes were indifferent as ever as he took her hand and placed the other on her back. Slowly, accompanied by the dreamlike music and the ethereal moon, they danced. 

Catherine could see every detail of his perfect features. Without doubt, he was the most handsome man in the world, in her arms. He moved precisely, with grace that she sorely lacked, evident when she stepped on his foot not a minute into their dance. 

“I’m so sorry!”

“Don’t worry. It’s fine.”

Catherine stepped on him again, then again, but she was too embarrassed to apologize every time, and he seemed like he didn’t care anyways. Through their gloves, she couldn’t feel the warmth of his hand, only its firm grip on hers. 

The close proximity of their bodies made her heart race and a blush creeped into her cheeks. She gazed into his golden eyes, and he looked back, really looked, piercing through her soul. Even though she didn’t know what he thought, it sent a thrill down her spine. This inexplicable romance enthralled and fascinated her, for she craved more, but she also wanted to run away from him. She was no match for his overwhelming coldness, not like Lady Valentina. 

The cool winter air chilled her heart, yet she must warm him. To breathe life into a spark until it was a blazing fire that melted this crown prince. 

“You’re really amazing, Your Highness.”

“Thank you, Lady Catherine.”

“Oh, please call me Catherine.”

He hesitated, and didn’t reply. They danced until the song was over, and there was a brief period of quiet. Prince Oscar let go of her and stepped away. He touched his hand to his forehead and squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, before reopening them and turning away. 

“I’ll be going. Good night.”

“Good night, Your Highness!”

Catherine stared after his retreating silhouette, somehow longingly. She sighed, her emotions a messy whirlpool. 

At least Uncle wouldn’t be disappointed, and Lady Valentina wouldn’t have to know. 

- - -

The maid named Mary hid behind a pillar near the garden where the lady she served was having a moment. She needed to report this back right away, but she had a feeling her employer wouldn’t be happy, though Zoe never did show any emotions. No, she would merely look at her with those empty eyes as she took away her bonus. Mary shuddered. 

- - -

“Are you serious?!”

I threw a pillow across the room, then several more. I stalked over to where the nearest one had landed and stomped on it until I felt better. Running my hands through my hair, I collapsed into an armchair. The bright morning sunlight hit me in the face, making me scowl. 

“Yes, my lady. The maid is certain.”

I glared at Zoe and drummed a finger on the arm of my chair irritably. This was bad, and I gripped the chair tightly to keep my fury from flaring up again. 

In the novel, Oscar had merely impressed Catherine by standing up for her. This was so much worse. Actually dancing wasn’t supposed to happen until Princess Elizabeth’s birthday ball in March, but with my deviation from the novel, I supposed changes were to be expected. 

Yet my narcissism refused to believe he simply didn’t care about me, not with his little signs. Perhaps he was being fed a love potion, or under some kind of spell. 

“Has the prince been odd lately?”

“No, my lady. Our other sources reported no such behaviour.”

Alas, no matter how deserving my arrogance was, I had to admit this was a stretch. The baron could never get away with drugging or enchanting the crown prince, unless the royal family or the king was in on it. Except he had no reason to be, not with all the extreme side effects a long term spell or drug would have on the kingdom’s next ruler. Yet with the royal knights at the diamond mine and protecting the baron, the royal family could be involved with the novel’s plot line. I would keep that potential danger in mind, but I believed I still had the upper hand. 

It was ridiculous, and as incomprehensible as Oscar’s actions may seem to me, I didn’t have time to consider wild theories, for I had to deal with the possibility that he had truly fallen for Catherine. It was absolutely absurd, but so was reincarnating into a novel, and despite my finding that this world did follow logic, maybe it was different when it came to the main storyline. 

Either way, I had planned for the worst: his complete disinterest in me and passionate love for the rightful female lead. If everything else went accordingly, his feelings would be no hindrance. Catherine would be removed, and I would marry Oscar, whether he liked it or not. He couldn’t even break off our betrothal right now, not without public outrage with my wonderful reputation and position as the beloved saint. 

“How’s the investigation into Catherine’s early life going?”

I needed to distract myself with useful information to resist the outrage trying to flood my mind. No better way than to hear about how pathetic Catherine really was. 

“We suspect the townsfolk were all bribed. They singularly claim she was a lovely girl, though she spent most of her time studying in her uncle’s bookstore. Her uncle is said to be a kind man and they adored each other.”

“But?” 

“One of their neighbors took our offer. She admitted she had never seen her and hadn’t even known she existed before the baron came. The uncle was rough, rude, and overbearing. He drank and the neighbor heard frequent shouting, but she thought it was a servant.”

“And this neighbor?”

“Recently found dead, supposedly of perfectly natural causes. No one else would talk to us no matter how much we offered.”

I sighed. There went my attempt to reveal whatever Catherine suffered through, though I never held high hopes anyways. 

“What about Ratched’s murder? Can we tie it to the baron?”

“The servant that we suspected of poisoning him was killed and a local gang admitted to her murder, but they won’t talk and they have no distinct connection to the baron. No new leads.”

Of course. To be my match, the baron had to be good at tying up loose ends and shielding himself. Well, no matter what he tried, I would best him and his pitiful marionette, who would unfortunately be my target. After all, he posed no perceivable threat without her, yet she was much more vulnerable, socially and physically. 

I had to be more careful, but if anything, the turn of events only fueled my determination. In the end, I would be the one besides Oscar and his throne. If poor little Catherine refused to get out of my way, I would have to remove her.

18