Chapter 65 – A Disagreeable Princess (II)
434 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

Annalise danced with the proper grace of a noble lady, unlike a certain insolent peasant. 

Lady Catherine, surprisingly and unfortunately, had found her style. She wore a light green dress, innocently adorable and desperately trying to make up for her lack of sophistication, rather effectively. The atrocity of her movements was lessened to border childlike charm, much to Annalise’s disgust. She saw right through the despicable act: the girl was clearly a common swindler that didn’t belong. Her silly attempts of advancing towards the prince were in vain!

Delilah was keeping track of Prince Oscar’s dancing partners, per Valentina’s request. As handsome as he may be, he really didn’t appreciate his fiancee enough, which Annalise thought deplorable. Valentina wasn’t back yet, likely still preoccupied with that bitch of a princess. Annalise checked her pocket watch, and was delighted to find it was time for her own show. Her dear friend had trusted her to upkeep the dignity of high society, and she would do so very well. 

“One second, I’ll have a glass.”

As the song ended and dancing briefly came to a rest, Annalise took a glass of red wine from a passing maid’s tray and headed straight for Lady Catherine. The girl was stupidly unsuspecting, even smiling brightly as she saw her approach. Annalise controlled the urge to laugh. 

“Ah!” 

With practiced elegance, Annalise stumbled. She caught herself all right, regaining her balance quickly, but appearing quite natural and startled to any onlookers. The glass remained in her hand, but its contents had flown through the air to splash directly and completely on Lady Catherine’s lovely face and dress. 

“My, I’m so terribly sorry!”

Annalise hurriedly took out a handkerchief, she had made sure to prepare one she didn’t care for, and offered it to the girl. Alas, it was a mere gesture and nothing more. Her makeup ran, and her dress was stained past hope. Smug satisfaction filled Annalise, but she had to finish the act. 

“I’ve been awfully clumsy since I was a child, Lady Catherine, and I couldn’t be more sorry about it! I’ll pay for the dress, naturally, but you’ll forgive me, won’t you?”

“O-oh! Certainly!” 

To Annalise’s disappointment, Lady Catherine was handling it well and didn’t reveal her true nature. As she accepted the handkerchief and wiped her face, her eyes were wide with horror and her cheeks decidedly flushed, but she didn’t erupt in anger or burst into tears. 

“Don’t worry about it, Lady Annalise, it’s only an accident. U-um, what should I do?”

“Why, you don’t know how glad I am to hear that, Lady Catherine. Obviously, you ought to go home! You might catch a cold like that. If your carriage’s not here, I’ll call mine for you.”

“N-no, that’s not necessary, Lady Annalise! Thank you very much for being so considerate, but I-I, um, I think I shall stay a little while longer.”

“But surely you can’t dance like this!”

“Yes, um, I think I’ll just go take a walk. Again, thank you so much for the offer.”

Lady Catherine ran out of the ballroom, and Annalise sighed proudly. It might’ve been better if tears had been dramatically streaming down her face, but she supposed one couldn’t have everything. 

- - -

Oh, god. What was she going to do?

Catherine strolled aimlessly around the enormous castle, lost before she even knew it. How she despised unlucky accidents! And Lady Annalise was so sweet about it too. Catherine hoped she wouldn’t feel bad about it. After all, she had been the one standing in the way. 

Should she have gone home? No, she couldn’t face Uncle. Her heart ached at the idea and of the impending disappointment. He had found the new stylist, and had been so excited for her to dance with the prince again. She mustn’t fail!

Catherine leaned against a wall and fought back tears. Would Uncle be angry? She didn’t want to think about it. She wished she didn’t have to go back to the mansion and see him, but that was ridiculous. It would be ungrateful and against everything she knew. He was all she had, and without him, she was nothing. 

“Excuse me, my lady?”

Catherine blinked. A castle maid had come up to her. She had passed her a few times, she recalled, through her wandering. 

“Yes?” 

“Would you like some help?”

“That would be wonderful! But how?”

“Follow me, please.”

Without anything better to do, Catherine did. 

“Where are we going?”

“To Her Highness, the princess.”

“Princess Elizabeth? Why?”

“Because we are instructed to bring her all those in need. She will help you.”

Catherine was curious. Uncle had told her the princess was strange and that she likely wouldn’t meet her, but to try to make a good impression if she did. She would like to make a new friend. 

The maid stopped outside a door, then slipped inside. After a moment, she came back out and nodded for Catherine to go in. Catherine swallowed and entered. 

“So, you’re Valentina’s latest victim.”

Princess Elizabeth was comfortably sprawled out on a couch with a book and cake. There was a marvellous quality about her, with raw strength and iron determination. She was captivating like her brother, but possessed an openness that made Catherine more in awe than scared, though she was nevertheless a little frightened. 

“Good evening, Your Highness! I’m Lady Catherine Bryant. If you meant Lady Valentina, she’s my friend, and she’s been the kindest to me!”

“Ah, I just assume whenever something bad happens, it’s her fault. What happened to you then?”

“Lady Annalise accidentally stumbled and spilled her drink. She was very apologetic about it.”

Princess Elizabeth snorted and rolled her eyes.

“Clearly! I’m sure it was a perfect accident, and Valentina had nothing to do with it at all.”

“Absolutely!” 

Catherine smiled brightly, uncertain how Lady Valentina was involved in the slightest. The princess stared at her oddly and laughed. 

“They make your type dumber and dumber these days, but I suppose it can’t be helped, with your heads all stuffed with dresses and makeup. It’s the fault of society, and those like Valentina who allow it to happen. It’s fine, I’ll help you.”

“Really? Thank you so much!”

Catherine beamed. The princess gestured for her to sit in an armchair beside her, and she obeyed. She flipped over onto her stomach, and for a moment Catherine looked right into those fierce golden eyes. The girl shivered and shifted her gaze away. 

“I heard things about you, you know. I don’t usually involve myself in nobility drama, but I can’t resist pissing off Valentina, and I’m assuming you’re her new favourite toy given how much attention you’re receiving. She’s outdone herself, I’ll tell you. According to my maids, there’s not a young noble lady that doesn’t think you were raised by a pedophile. They think you’re too revolting to even look at.”

“What’s a pedophile?”

“...something bad. The point is, it’s all thanks to Valentina. She puts on a pretty act, but underneath, she’s just a mean little bitch that thrives on suffering.”

Catherine bit her lip in discomfort. Uncle had said to establish good relations with the princess, but he had also taught her to always be kind and habitually honest, except where necessary. Surely, defending her friend came over the princess? It wouldn’t be right not to, she decided. 

“I don’t think anyone’s like that. Sometimes, people just weren’t raised well, and they might be insensitive, but I don’t believe anyone likes hurting others, and definitely not Lady Valentina. She’s been amazing to me ever since we met!”

“It’s because of her that all of high society thinks you’re an unworthy pest, and they don’t even know she did it. Yet the fact stands it was at her tea party, with her guests, that gossip broke out. That girl can disguise herself, but if you trust me, I can show you who she truly is.”

The princess’s wide-eyed earnesty scared Catherine, but she shook her head. She would not betray her friend. 

“Lady Valentina isn’t that kind of person! She’s very good to me, a-and Your Highness may just have a misunderstanding with her. Any damage to my reputation was an accident, and I’m certain she always meant the best!”

Princess Elizabeth stared at her and gave an exasperated sigh. She clicked her tongue. 

“Oh, whatever! I can’t help it if you’re too stupid, but I do pity you. Valentina’s too good at brainwashing. Remember, when you wake up from her illusion one day, it’s never too late to come to me. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

Relieved for the disagreement to be over, Catherine smiled. 

“Thank you very much, Your Highness, for being so thoughtful of me! I’m so glad to have met kind people like you two.”

“You poor thing, don’t thank me until you come to your senses. If you want to repay me, go ask yourself: what has she done at all to warrant loyalty of any kind?”

Catherine fell silent for a moment. 

Lady Valentina was the perfect heroine, everything Catherine dreamt of and wished to be. She was beautiful, admired by all. She was strong and powerful, and never had to live in fear of disappointment, because she was smart and succeeded. She was her first glimpse of this strange and exciting world, and she was the promise of something better. She was kindness and compassion, so foreign to Catherine.

“She’s my friend, of course!”

Princess Elizabeth closed her eyes and shook her head. A few minutes later, she went back to reading her book, and the topic was apparently finished, or that she wanted Catherine to reflect on her answer. Catherine sat there awkwardly and finally addressed her actual purpose. 

“Your Highness, um, could you help me go back to the ball? I would really appreciate it!”

“No.”

“...may I ask why?”

“Because society is horrible and it’s bad to encourage entertainment afforded through corrupt and unethical means.”

Catherine couldn’t think of an appropriate reply, so she nodded. 

“I won’t bother Your Highness any longer, then. My father really wants me to attend the ball.”

“In that state? You can stay and read, or I can send for a carriage-”

The princess was interrupted as a knock suddenly came at the door. Without waiting for an invitation, it opened and a figure slipped inside. 

Catherine gasped as she saw the most handsome boy to ever exist. 

18