Chapter 66 – Blooming Obsession (I)
444 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

The boy was maybe a year or two older than Catherine, but he could’ve been an ageless demon, or perhaps an immortal angel. His features were perfectly shaped, with a mesmerizing quality that forbade her from looking away, though as enraptured as she was, she never wanted to. It was an intoxicating enchantment, wonderfully magical. 

“Good evening, Your Highness! You are simply striking, as usual. I offer my most heartfelt birthday wishes, on behalf of my family as well.”

His voice was bewitching, speaking such elegant words, and Catherine could tell he was a noble through and through. With pale blonde hair, spellbinding purple eyes, and a gorgeous face, he was alluring and attractive, inviting with a hint of mischief. Grace and charm were natural to him, with refinement and a delicate sophistication, reminding Catherine of Lady Valentina. 

He was everything she had imagined a fairy-tale prince would be. 

“Why, God must have blessed me to be in the presence of such loveliness. I don’t believe we’ve met yet, so won’t you please grant me the honour and delight of making your acquaintance, miss?”

In a moment, he was in front of her, a captivating smile on his lips. He took one of her hands in his own, lifting it, and kissed the back of it gently. She blushed and her heart skipped wildly. 

“Hello, I’m Lady Catherine Bryant! Nice to meet you!”

She beamed, but was suddenly conscious of her stained dress. Luckily, he didn’t seem to notice.

“It’s my utmost pleasure to meet you, Lady Catherine. Your hair is so brilliantly golden I’m afraid I mistook it for the sun, and the shine of your eyes must be the envy of the brightest emeralds.”

“Thank you! That’s so nice of you!”

“You deserve all the compliments in the world, darling. Alas, I apologize. I was so distracted by your fairness I forgot to introduce myself! I am Lord Damian Avington, the eldest child of House Avington.”

It took a second for Catherine to register this as things clicked into place satisfyingly. Of course, the two most perfect people she knew were related!

“Oh! Lady Valentina’s brother?”

“Indeed! And I believe you know my friend Kyle? He spoke of you so highly I’m ashamed that I didn’t recognize you immediately. Now I see his words couldn’t do justice to your-”

“Oi! If you’re going to be so disgusting, do it somewhere else!”

The two looked up, the scene briefly interrupted. Princess Elizabeth wore an exasperated expression. 

“In case you forgot, I detest how shallow you and your sister are. How did you even find this place?”

“I was searching for my sister. Well, I know where she is at present, but I’m always deeply intrigued by whatever she was doing.”

“She left ages ago. How’d you get here? Magic is blocked inside the castle.”

“Yes, but a tiny enchantment cast previously works fine, or else you wouldn’t be able to use any enchanted items, like this.”

Swiftly, he took out a handkerchief and dabbed at Catherine’s dress. The stain faded, then disappeared. Catherine gasped, eyes wide. It was her first time seeing real magic, though she somehow wasn’t surprised this boy was a mage. 

“I hope you permit, Lady Catherine? I thought it was bothering you, and nothing that places a frown on a lady’s face should be allowed to exist.”

Catherine didn’t have the chance to reply, for a book was thrown at Lord Damian’s head. He ducked and avoided it, then ruffled his beautiful hair. 

“Eww! Get out!”

“As you command, Your Highness!”

Lord Damian grabbed Catherine’s hand, nearly giving her a heart attack, and pulled her out of the room, shutting the door behind them just as another book hit it. Safe from projectiles, he gave a laugh and offered his hand properly. 

“Her Highness has much personality. If I may be so impertinent, I shall say I feel that you do as well, Lady Catherine, but in a rather different manner, fortunately. Really, it would be my greatest joy to get to know you better, so could I be so bold as to humbly plead for a dance?”

Catherine hesitated for a mere second. Prince Oscar was her target, and she couldn’t risk getting distracted. On the other hand, she didn’t know how to get back without Lord Damian, and surely she must repay him for fixing her dress? She decided one dance wouldn’t hurt and to respectfully not think about the prince while she was with him. 

“C-certainly! And thank you so much for helping with my dress, but I have to tell you I’m not very good at dancing.”

“Don’t worry about it, darling. I shall take care of you.”

“Will you? Oh, thank you!”

Catherine smiled happily. It was like the life she dreamt of. True romance, wild and passionate, to sweep her away and never come back, like in the novels. An eternal escape, with youth that had previously slipped through her fingers idly. She sighed. 

Arm in arm, Lord Damian led the way. The intimacy of the castle halls induced conversation as they strode towards the faint sound of music. 

“If I remember correctly, you are the long lost lady that returned this year, Lady Catherine?”

“Yes! I was in an accident as a child, but Father found me a few months ago.”

“Society is very curious about you. Personally, I can see no doubt you are a true lady of noble birth. The emblem of House Bryant is a white lily, yes? It suits you exactly.”

“Thank you! Um, House Avington’s emblem is a red rose, right? I think I’ve seen Lady Valentina wearing it, and it's really pretty!”

An odd hint of darkness flickered across his expression, so quick Catherine was almost sure she had imagined it. It was left unaddressed, as they reached the ballroom just as a song was finishing. With a boyishly handsome grin, Lord Damian took Catherine’s hand. 

Though Catherine was worried at first, she soon realized that miraculously, she wasn’t stepping on his feet. Lord Damian was balancing her clumsiness with grace, suiting her stumbles to make them seem intentionally elegant. Catherine was in awe.

“Is it magic? Do you have enchanted shoes?”

Lord Damian laughed. It was a delightfully playful sound, sending flutters to her heart. 

“No, I outgrew those. I’ve had plenty of practice in order to match some very skilled partners, and now I’m proud to say I’m likely one of the best dancers in the kingdom. A lady as cute as yourself deserves only the best, after all.” 

Catherine blushed again, giggling. 

It was utterly fantastic. He radiated charisma, drawing her in with affectionate appeal. She felt at ease with him, comfortable yet excited. It wasn’t like any of the fear she’d experienced with-

Oh no. Stupid, stupid, Catherine, she scolded herself. It was all wrong. She was enjoying herself too much, in her delirium, but Uncle’s orders must come first. It wouldn’t do to have difficulties tearing her eyes away from such a pretty face. The prince was her eventual husband, and any romance that bloomed would be with him. There couldn’t even be a fanciful daydream, not when Uncle was involved. 

Catherine glanced around the room. It wasn’t hard, with how dazzling Lady Valentina and Prince Oscar both were. They could catch the attention of everyone, dancing like magnificent gods, ever so lovely. 

“Do you know of ‘love’, darling?”

Lord Damian had followed her gaze. He, too, watched the couple, but with a peculiar look in his eyes that almost frightened her. When he spoke, it was with a strangely soft voice, and when he turned to meet her eyes again, his purple eyes glinted. 

“I’ve heard it’s a wonderful feeling, but I’ve never felt it.”

“Not even with family?”

Catherine considered. She did not yet love Father, for he was still mostly a stranger to her. Did she love Uncle? She was very attached to him and definitely appreciative, but could she call it love? She supposed she must, because Uncle loved her, didn’t he?

“Oh, I don’t know.”

“How unfortunate and fortunate! Since you know my sister, I presume you understand why I loved her from the first moment I saw her. She was a sweet little baby, and absolutely adored me.”

“That’s so cute!”

“Yes, it was. Loving her is my life, and I will do so to my grave. It’s the most splendid feeling, to be with her, to see her happy, to know she loves me.”

“Then why is it fortunate I don’t know love?”

“Because the things it demands I do are wicked. It’s truly horrid, yet beautiful, how far jealousy can go. I shan’t trouble you with details, darling, but you really ought to try it.”

Catherine stared wondrously into his wild gleaming eyes. She nodded thoughtfully, remembering Uncle’s explanations for keeping her inside. 

“I think I would like to! And in my opinion, I think there’s nothing wrong with being jealous or anything if you simply love too much, as long as you want the best for her, in the end.”

Lord Damian looked at her for a moment and laughed. 

“Indeed! It’s ridiculous, isn’t it? Ah, I don’t know why I’m telling you this, darling, except that you’re not like any other girl I’ve ever met. This song is almost over, so I must thank you for an exceptionally enjoyable dance. Please allow me to repay you somehow!”

“Oh, that’s very kind, but you don’t have to at all! Well, um…if it’s not too much of a bother, and enchanted shoes really do exist, could you make me a pair?”

He laughed again and gazed down at her with amusement. 

“But darling, you won’t need them if you only dance with me! Would my company do instead, if I may dare to hope it was as pleasurable to you as yours was to me?”

“Of course! I would like to see you again, Lord Damian.”

Catherine spoke shyly, her heart fluttering slightly as she realized her words weren’t mere practiced manners, but the truth. That dance was the closest she’d come to the happiness she’d hoped for from novels, and even if she knew it wouldn’t go anywhere, she’d like to know Lord Damian better. Was it what they called ‘fun’?

“Brother! How nice to see you here.”

Lady Valentina was suddenly beside them, with a young man following her. Catherine snuck a glance towards Prince Oscar, only to be disappointed to find he was already with a lady. 

“Won’t you have the next dance with me? We haven’t danced together in forever.”

“Absolutely, my sweet Val.”

Lord Damian’s voice changed. His eyes shone dangerously as he smiled with tenderness. His devotion was clear as day, though he shot a curious look at Catherine. 

Lady Valentina continued. 

“And hello to you too, Lady Catherine. This young gentleman would like to dance with you, so allow me to introduce you.”

“Oh, um, sure!”

Thus, Catherine was paraded off with her own partner. She watched the pair of siblings dance, perfectly complementing each other. Lord Damian, the prettiest and nicest boy she’d ever met, who gave her butterflies, and Lady Valentina, the smartest and most charming lady in the world, who she admired with all her heart. 

How happy they must be!

13